Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 8:23 PM
Default Why are the console versions so weird?
I have an Nintendo 3DS, and I saw a copy of the Sims 2 for the NDS in the local game shop. I checked out the Wikia first, and:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2_%28Nintendo_DS%29

Not only that, but my non-simming friend has told me that he tried the PlayStation 2 version (link) but it required you to go through a storyline before being able to freely play.

So what's up with that?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 8:37 PM
I don't know for sure because I never played the console games, with the exception of Urbz (which I hated). My guess would be that console games were just more limited and thus more suited for goal-oriented play.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 10:21 PM
I have TS2 for DS and I have completed it. It's quite annoying because it relies on real time so it can take a while to do. You can't do it in one sitting.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 10:43 PM
But it's a NDS. Cheat the system, it won't know.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 10:55 PM
There is also The Sims 3 (both regular and Pets) for the 3DS.

I am the owner and streamer of Twitch Plays The Sims.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 11:55 PM
The Sims is a very complex game, processing wise. With all of the sandbox options it didn't translate easily to older consoles. Consider also that TV screens work very differently from computer screens. TS2's UI has a lot of text which is designed to be read at close range. It's more difficult to work that kind of thing into a console game's UI and ensure that it's visible to players who will be sitting across the room from their TV (and particularly for the earlier versions, were probably playing using a standard definition, tube TV, and probably a small screen too, quite different from today's normal large screen HD LCD/LED TVs.) You can either rework the UI and have it take up way more space on the screen, use irritating and clunky menus, or simplify the features that UI is displaying to mean they need less space to begin with.

Secondly it's based on target markets. PC games can afford to be a bit niche. Okay, with the advent of companies like Steam in more recent years, PC gaming is much more mainstream than it used to be and there is a huge crossover now with consoles, but traditionally there is a difference between console gamers and PC gamers which still exists to some extent. Some PC gamers (and I think that a fair few simmers fall into this category) will tend to stick to a very small number of games and remain loyal to these games for a long time. They aren't about completing lots and lots of games or having the latest thing, they just have their little toys, if you like, and they don't really engage with most of the "gaming" industry as a whole. It might be a small genre, like those mystery games, it might be flight simulators (and people who play flight/driving sims on PC often have all manner of special controllers and accessories tying into this), it might be puzzle games, and the Sims franchise fits into this group very nicely, it's more of a toy than a game (and you can see that the later versions have become much more geared towards players who do seek more of a completionist kind of vibe or wanting the latest updates and more content all the time, rather than it being more of a building sim or storytelling game). People who fit into this model tend to see the main purpose of their computer as being something other than games, whether that's work, studying, communication, web browsing, home admin, digital graphics, music/video production or CAD or whatever. Plus, as we well know, PC games are much more easily moddable, which opens up much more scope for open-ended design which isn't as possible on consoles because it's much more difficult to make and download and install mods (another thing which is changing - we're really seeing the boundaries blurring, I think) so console games have tended to have to be engaging as a standalone thing without the possibility of expansion in this manner.

Consoles are a machine built exclusively for playing games (with the acknowledgement that recent consoles are often designed with an entertainment/communications hub or media centre in mind) - people don't tend to buy a console without the express intention of playing games on it. So console gamers more often prefer goal-based or story-based gameplay. They expect to complete a game and move on to another one or to have a constant selection of games, rather than sticking with a smaller number. And this is quite the point of games consoles - they are designed for this purpose and they work very well. But a game like the Sims, with no defined end point or story, is quite outside these norms and so isn't likely to sell as well. The solution - build a story or goal mode in. (Other games have solved this problem by adding multiplayer, but this doesn't work well for the sims.)

Handheld consoles have different considerations again - the players are more often children (especially for a cartoony sort of game like the sims) or older people, particularly older women (there is a segment of the handheld console market which has taken over those little electronic crossword puzzle machines which used to be fairly niche but steady) and are likely to be played in short bursts with the occasional longer session, much like mobile games are designed to be played. It's not that young adults don't own handheld games consoles; they do, but they tend not to be their "main" console. Most young adults have either moved away from gaming entirely or they predominantly game on PC or console, with the handheld device as more of a secondary option. And again, handheld consoles are normally much less powerful than full sized ones and the screen space is obviously smaller.

So, a little bit of (mostly historic) hardware limitation (much less pronounced now - the console versions of minecraft are never far behind the PC version these days) and a little bit of marketing and you arrive at the oddly transported versions.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
#7 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 9:57 AM Last edited by Kankritty : 22nd Oct 2016 at 10:39 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
But it's a NDS. Cheat the system, it won't know.

It will know. It spawns aliens if you change the time.

To the Disagreer:
If the player changes the time backwards, the aliens will appear in every alien spawn point in Strangetown, so it's probably best not to change it backward.(src)

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Some PC gamers (and I think that a fair few simmers fall into this category) will tend to stick to a very small number of games and remain loyal to these games for a long time. They aren't about completing lots and lots of games or having the latest thing, they just have their little toys, if you like, and they don't really engage with most of the "gaming" industry as a whole. It might be a small genre, like those mystery games, it might be flight simulators (and people who play flight/driving sims on PC often have all manner of special controllers and accessories tying into this), it might be puzzle games, and the Sims franchise fits into this group very nicely, it's more of a toy than a game (and you can see that the later versions have become much more geared towards players who do seek more of a completionist kind of vibe or wanting the latest updates and more content all the time, rather than it being more of a building sim or storytelling game). People who fit into this model tend to see the main purpose of their computer as being something other than games, whether that's work, studying, communication, web browsing, home admin, digital graphics, music/video production or CAD or whatever.
That's me! The Sims 2 is my only game. The PC was bought for work and was the minimum spec that would do the job. It's a netbook because I discovered that it was adequate to run comparatively high end business software (SQL Server), and it's light and portable because I travel to clients' premises and don't use a car. Fortunately I discovered that it's also adequate to run The Sims 2, provided I don't go above the OFB game engine, and I'm content with low resolution graphics. At home I use it as a desktop replacement with a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 2:03 PM
I was actually introduced to The Sims franchise through the console games. It started with The Sims (1) for PS2. There was a story mode and free play mode, which, considering the nature of The Sims 1 where sims don't age after adulthood, it was a pretty faithful remake for a console, and even had 3D graphics.

Then I got The Sims 2 for PS2 which was even greater but more glitchy and Sims still didn't age after adulthood. There was also a story mode and free play mode. I also played a little bit of The Sims Bustin' Out for PS2 which I think even had community lots for the first time for console. I also had The Sims Castaway for PS2 which was of course a story mode game and I also had The Sims 2 Pets for Gamecube which was a Free Play only game.

Then I got The Sims 3 for PS3 which is definitely the most faithful Sims game for a console ever. It's pretty much just like The Sims 3 PC base game, with a few more added features and loading screens between "neighbourhoods".

The console games were really good for me growing up as I had never played the real games for PC. But now that I'm a PC-Simmer, I'll never go back to the console games except maybe for nostalgia.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 5:50 PM
Oh the old PS1 and PS2 Sims games... Bustin Out, The Sims, The Sims 2, URBz... I played them all... they are as fun as their PC couterparts, but with more focus on story. If I remember correctly, TS2 had that sanity meter that was annoying me. But the Strangetown secrets and social aspect of meeting the NPCs was fenomenal for an RPG game on console. Same with URBz social aspect and reputation and subculture/district mechanic.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Sims 2 for PS2 does NOT require the story mode to be completed for Free Play to be available.

Yeah, I asked my friend. I was remembering it wrong. Probably mixing it up with Life (Pet?) Stories or a different game entirely.

Anyways, interesting thread, a lot of it makes sense now.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#12 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 1:57 AM
have not yet played any of the non-PC console versions. am interested in the Wii.

"weird" may depend on interpretation. "different" would for sure be accurate.
from my understanding; with non-PC consoles, the game is pretty much attached to a disc/cartridge/etc. and from my understanding, there are no installing screens. and thus no expansions.
not sure how the hand-held devices compare/contrast.
Scholar
#13 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
and thus no expansions.

However, with how mainstream DLC is getting, expansion packs could be released as DLC if there were to be a new Sims game for console.
Theorist
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 11:08 AM
Which console game is the one were they turn Strange Town into some bleak, Orwellian dystopia and almost everybody in it (and Bella) Into absolutely horrible human beings? I remember some stuff like one of the Curious brothers selling his half-alien nephew to the Men in Black and Bella only marrying Mortimer for the free cable (which contradicts everything else we know about her) etc. It was...weird...
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 11:29 AM
I think that was the Sims 2 on Psp.
Scholar
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 3:45 PM
It didn't contradict everything we knew about Bella because she's a Romance sim. She must have had a reason besides love to decide she wanted to marry Mortimer. Think about it.
Theorist
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
It didn't contradict everything we knew about Bella because she's a Romance sim. She must have had a reason besides love to decide she wanted to marry Mortimer. Think about it.

Yeah it kind of does. In every instance and picture we are shown of Bella and Mortimer they appear to be madly in love with each other. Plus they are a parody of Morticia and Gomez Addams, another married couple that was simply wild for each other and the first sitcom parents to share a bed and display romantic affection on screen.

Romance Sims are perfectly capable of living in happy, monogamous relationships, just like Family Sims can have multiple lovers.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 6:02 PM
Yeah, that's the PSP version. I've read a lot about it. I consider it either non-canon or an alternate universe (like TS4).

Scholar
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 1:21 AM
Personally I thought The Sims: Bustin' Out was great and still is. I have wonderful memories of it. Any other console...ehh...not so much though I do love The Urbz.

And I also liked Sims 2 for PSP. I wish someone could make all the 'hoods in it or at least the lots.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#20 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 5:02 AM
Simlish Noir has designed most (if not all) of the buildings from the PSP version but I haven't found out if she has put them up for download. Most of them look pretty accurate in terms of size. she has them in a modified Strangetown called Strange county. She posts pictures of them on tumbler.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
Simlish Noir has designed most (if not all) of the buildings from the PSP version but I haven't found out if she has put them up for download. Most of them look pretty accurate in terms of size. she has them in a modified Strangetown called Strange county. She posts pictures of them on tumbler.

Yes, I have recreated basically every lot from every console game of TS2. I haven't released them yet, but I will!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:52 AM
You can get expansions on modern games consoles. In the past they had no native storage to install to, so it wasn't possible.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 7:52 PM
God... So much nostalgia from the great soundtrack Sims 2 for PS2 had...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...fLoKE-cx6f3sJGp
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 6:41 AM
I didn't like any of the console games (we bought a couple). They didn't have the same feel or attraction and ended up boring me.
Alchemist
#25 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 3:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
You can get expansions on modern games consoles.
which consoles are those?
Page 1 of 2