Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Edible St. Nick Candy

by Lethe_s Posted 6th Nov 2005 at 1:47 PM - Updated 23rd May 2006 at 4:30 PM by Lethe_s

53 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 50 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Scholar
#26 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 2:18 PM
a yule log would be excellent
to be honest anything with cinnamon, raisins, nuts and so forth is ok. i like stollens on a personal note but they are not especially solstice LOL
we tend to have a good hearty meal, casserole, fresh seasonal vegetables such s turnips, parsnips and the like, and then a yule log, plenty of bowls of nuts and seasonal fruit
so not much different from the christmas stuff but we try to make an effort to make it "ours".
house decorations would have a tree but decorated with dried fruit, plain lights and straw and wooden ornaments which don't have a christian theme. i have a heavy artificial bough of spruce with pine cones and berries instead of the glittery tinsel affairs the British love so much :D
so its more earth and season based
Test Subject
#27 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 11:55 AM
dont u guys eat 'oliebollen' in USA or were ever u live? Ahh, i feel sorry for ya! Oliebollen are the nicest things there are! I'm eating them now allready :D
Just love december....speculaas, pepernoten, oliebollen....jummie :P

Hi :)
Test Subject
#28 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 9:12 PM
st. nick and santa claus are the same people
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 10:13 PM
I don't think they are, actually
it's easy to believe that, given the fact that they're elderly men in red outfits
who bring sweets through the chimney in december
but I remember reading that the origins are different
St Nicholas being the obviously catholic inspired one
and Santa/Father Christmas being more... heathen?
I'd have to look it up
but I used to think that they were the same, too, and then kept being corrected for it
Test Subject
#30 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 8:05 AM Last edited by Patrick : 19th Dec 2005 at 8:12 AM.
sinterklaas :O

Test Subject
#31 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 8:50 PM
I live in the south west of UK and my family has saint nick aswell as father christmas because my grandad was brought up with saint nick instead so we go other his house and get presents 20 days before christmas
Test Subject
#32 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 8:10 PM
Thanks I love candy and my sims will probaly be pretty jumpy during the holidays! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#33 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 9:13 PM
"toys, candy and tangerines".

Tangerines? Okay. Um. Anyway, really cool. ^^
#34 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 2:15 PM
omg u guys are never on during school!! that is sooooo un cool!!
Test Subject
#35 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 7:03 PM
No offence, but it just looks like a little cricket bat to me.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 8:12 PM
heehee,
ok, so you have an edible chocolate cricket bat
works for me
Test Subject
#37 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 8:56 AM
x0tiggerbelle0x you say dath sinterklaas en santa are the same people dhats ride :D

Dutch people dat are alonge ago go to america de ware 4goten dat holley day en so whas santa born i haven sey dath on discovery

Sorry 4 my bad engols :s
Test Subject
#38 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 4:29 AM
WOW! I am from America however when I was a very young child we used to put a shoe outside our bedroom door one night a year and someone would put candies in it. My mother passed away when I was young so the tradition didnt stay with us. She was Swedish. I had forgotten all about doing this until reading this post. I really dont think we did this near Christmas though?? Anyway Thanks for the Download, the culture lessons and reminding me of my mother and wonderful childhood.
Test Subject
#39 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 5:27 PM
Well,we also have St. NIcholas here ( Sfântul Nicolae ) in Romania,on the 6th of december...good kids get sweets and fruits and stuff ... and the bad ones get a rod.I only got one rod once ^_^ ... oh,and we polish our boots and put them at the end of our beds and in the morning...yeyyy! Sweets! ^_^
Scholar
#40 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 3:29 PM
its nice thank you

I'm A WHIZ KID.
Wanna see me whiz?
Test Subject
#41 Old 15th May 2006 at 12:37 AM
Speculaas are are marketed here in the US as Windmill Cookies. They are shaped like windmills and are available any time of year under various brands. Archway is the best. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...lance&n=3370831

I loved them as a kid to dip into milk! Yum Ours in the States usually have little slivers of almond too in them.

I was in Holland for New Year's this year and had oliebollen I didn't like them much though! Way too oily and rich, could barely finish one.
Test Subject
#42 Old 20th Jun 2006 at 4:52 AM Last edited by Faris : 20th Jun 2006 at 6:36 AM.
Your idea of making Nick Candies is cool, but I prefer thinking harder a bout their designs , you know the look is Important for more attraction, don't you think so Lethe_s?
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 6:18 PM Last edited by Fafy : 8th Dec 2006 at 6:26 PM.
I lived in Germany (Munich) for 4 year when I was little. (I'm 13)
German (or just Bavarian, I don't know) people has St.Nikolaus on December 6th.
In History, St.Nikolaus is expecially for kids. He's got his servant who "slaps" bad kid's parents ( anyway I loved this day ) and give to kids these biscuits calles Spekulatius (or Speculoos).
I would like to talk about the boots too. In Italy we usually put our boots near the beds and an old lady, poor dressed go in all roman and south italy houses and the next morning...Candy !!! Bot this happens on JANUARY the 6th.

Whatever...good job ! And Buon Natale .

I cannot take requests now.

DO NOT UPLOAD MY CC ON PAY SITES, THANKS
Test Subject
#44 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 6:12 PM
Thanks for these St Nicolas treats!

We have it in France too, but only in the Eastern Regions. I live in Lorraine, and Saint Nicolas is actually the patron saint of the region, so it means a lot to us! We always have great festivals around the 6th of December!... presents and treats for Saint Nicolas, and again for Christmas! :D
Test Subject
#45 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
I don't think they are, actually
it's easy to believe that, given the fact that they're elderly men in red outfits
who bring sweets through the chimney in december
but I remember reading that the origins are different
St Nicholas being the obviously catholic inspired one
and Santa/Father Christmas being more... heathen?
I'd have to look it up
but I used to think that they were the same, too, and then kept being corrected for it

Well, actually, they're the same guy!
In the christian tradition, there was only St Nicolas. Christmas was a religious day, but no presents were supposed to be given or to be received. Then, in the 1920s or so, CocaCola used the old guy (St Nicolas) and reshaped it in a more fashionable way (well... fashionable may not be the right word... less old-fashioned and, most of all, less religious, then). From then on, the image of Santa expanded and became associated to Christmas. But there is no religious meaning about Santa, since he's been used only to sell Cokes!
The very name "Santa" comme from Saint Nicolas "Sant'nicolas", "santa".
So, yes, they are the same, but they've evolved in two different ways. And yes, Santa is a Coco Cola invention!
Test Subject
#46 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 6:01 PM
Great!!! I love speculaas, now my sims can enjot it too!! Thanks!!!
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 12:23 AM
Hah! Nikolaus Candy in June! My Sims will love this!

I'm from Austria (no kangaroos) and we also celebrate it. In the evening we polish our shoes and put them on the doormat. In the morning they're filled with little presents, like candies, mostly a pack of peanuts, tangerines (mandarins) and chocolate shaped like yours in tin foil and in shapes of the "Krampus". Hl. Nikolaus has a companion called "Krampus" and he's the bad guy. Hl. Nikolaus has a book in which the children are listed and when they were bad and good. If they were more often bad, they get coals instead of candies and the Krampus beat them with a switch and he also have a chain. This chain you can hear when dressed up adults came as Nikolaus and Krampus at the Kindergarten or Primalschool. Very, very frightening! Whoaa!

Last year in december, there was a big discusion if they forbit that spectacle, because they thought (and I guess still think) that it's not okay for children to be afraid of the Krampus and there are even children frightened by the Nikolaus. Nowadays the Krampus doesn't make anything, but when I was younger and in Kindergarten (that's a while ago) there were groups of teenagers that dressed up as Krampus' (There is no Plural, it's THE Krampus, but there were more than one) and they frightened children and other teens on the streets and runned after them, they even throwed bangers. We went "Krampus-hunting" and we were really brave!

And Spekulatius (which you call Spekulaas) is soooo tasty! Maybe somebody want to make these? And plates with peanuts and tangerines, we had them the whole december on the dining table as decoration and of course as nibbling!

Oh, didn't realized I've wrote that much.

Thanks for making such a lovely candy!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 23rd Dec 2007 at 10:00 AM
I love speculaas! and pepernoten.
We eat it with sinterklaas, a dutch tradition.
when I was young, we always put our shoes in front of the fireplace, and sing songs.
Then in the night Sinterklaas would come on the roof with his horse and black peters.
If you were nice he would put sweats and presents in you shoe, but if you were naughty, black peter would hit you with the "roe" and put you in a sac and bring you to spain.(there lived Sinterklaas)
On the 5th of December we had "Pakjesavond" (presentevening) and Sinterklaas brought all kinds of presents.

Lethe s can you also make oliebollen?
Test Subject
#49 Old 14th Mar 2008 at 11:11 PM
Now I'm hungry for pepernoten... out of season, no less.
Test Subject
#50 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 2:31 PM
In german speculaas is called Spekulatius. My dictionary says that could be translated with gingery / biscuit cookies. I've never tried to make it myself, we always buy it at the store. I love it - we even get it at Easter (in rabbit form, of course) but I like it better when it has its original look.

xx
Page 2 of 3