Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 7:09 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 5th Aug 2021 at 8:28 PM.
Default Semi-realistic approach to a Futuristic Sim World
I always prefered to play in a somewhat realistic gamestyle, where the sims technology is similiar to human, like calcuate simdays into human age (I play 1 Day = 1 Year).

Some of the gamestyle rules of mine in spoilers:

I finally gone beyond my previous saves and on sim year 94 where the world is suppose to be in its 2040s. (As a Goth fan, I pictured Sunset Valley to be in the 50s)

which is two decades further away than our real world. Now, Im not a science-nerd, so Im not sure how to incorporate futurism into gameplay (I dont think I want do the global warming/enviroment stuff though). I dont think 2040 is close enough for the Oasis Landing (or Lunar Lake) stuff but I thinking of replacing some stuff to the Into-the-Future items (I dont want any CC).

Has anyone does it?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
Now, Im not a science-nerd, so Im not sure how to incorporate futurism into gameplay (I dont think I want do the global warming/enviroment stuff though). I dont think 2040 is close enough for the Oasis Landing (or Lunar Lake) stuff but I thinking of replacing some stuff to the Into-the-Future items (I dont want any CC).

[My apologies, my point of reference on this is very USA-centric so if your game has a more European feel, then this may not be the most correct]. 20 years into the future honestly isn't that long so you are just looking for stuff from the 2020 and seeing how they compare with past decades- like the 90s. Not that much has changed- couches and chairs, desks, beds, all pretty much look the same. Electronics will get smaller but stronger (my low tablet is more advanced than the computers I had growing up in the late 80s/early 90s- which looked like the low end computer in game). Start swapping in some electric-looking cars or at least less large and boxy cars (that 'big lemon is straight out of my childhood). Bathroom fixtures will use up less water (hopefully), so no huge bathtubs (maybe ditch the tubs all together)- or at least pretend people have gotten used to the idea of recycling grey water. Honestly kitchen appliances will get smaller- which will be hard to do because the expensive fridges get bigger in the Sims.

Some of the stuff we will be seeing more of was released through the store or would be custom content unfortunately. The store's tablet to replace out large bookshelves, Some of the small home stuff over at Around the Sims- especially the roof mounted solar panel (parts of the southwest are already converting over to people using solar power just to keep their houses cool). I know you said you don't want to go too much into the changes from global warming but it will effect how things are designed in the future.

The fun thing for you to guess is where the colors schemes will go. Everyone kinda thinks of the white/silver/cyan scheme for "future" but that color scheme would be so hard to clean. So let your imagination run wild with that. It will probably end up lighter colors but we might end up with the navy/forest green/mauve combo of the early 90s or goldenrod/burnt orange/avocado green of the 70s (I hope not!).
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Remember back in 2000, everyone is expecting hover cars, hover boards, and power laces on Nikes by 2015? I think 2015 was the saddest year in human history, so much hope dashed.

I'm in my 40s so I remember a few decades where people thought we'd have that and robot butlers, jet packs, and ovens that cooked meals at the press of a button. Up until the late 80s people thought we'd have all that by the year 2000. Sadly we did not.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 2:19 AM
I´m a 80s kid, but I mostly watched Vampire stuff and Time Traveling to the past, when I was younger, so the only realistic future stuff Im thinking about is Global Warming, Comet crashing, Viruses etc. Death happens already frequently in my games so I dont think I want to add more of that, like killing sims from hot temperatures.

I like the visuals and concepts of the Into the Future expansion of the TS3 (Ocean Landing ), but in our world, I dont think human cyborgs (the plumblobs) would happen anytime soon. While Lunar Lakes seems to set in another planet, where they have some of theof the descendants of the Sunset Valley premade sims. I did opening that world and ported some of them to my current save for a bigger genetic pool (I only play the premades, i dont add npcs/townies or CAS into this save)

and Ive seen robots used in Asian countries (like in resturants and AI robots), but not I highly doubt we will have any Terminator or human-bioroid (Appleseed Anime which take place in 2131, a centuary later) kinds in near future that acts and fall in love with the humans. (Although there was a dude who actually married a game so what do I really know. )

Im more familiar with medieval and historical themes (which I played in TS2), but keeping it slightly more realistic, Futuristic worlds is more of a challenge to me, because I never liked the sims supernaturals like plantsims, but I dont care much if inactive by the into-the-future stuff like the hoovers.