Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#22776 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pelouse
welp apparently it works if you dont hover over the ui bar, sorry!!!

ea probably hates me, im making the game seem worse than it is
Ah, whew But doesn't the ui bar cover the entire bottom of the screen? It still sounds a bit silly to me.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Advertisement
Instructor
#22777 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
Ah, whew But doesn't the ui bar cover the entire bottom of the screen? It still sounds a bit silly to me.

it does, so the bottom scrolling isn't technically at the bottom of the screen, but at the bottom of the non-ui covered part
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#22778 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AsaButler
But what if she was born with pink hair...

She couldn't have been, because TS4 children cannot be born with pink hair! boom-boom.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#22779 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
O. I see.

Yes, lets spend a bunch of money and time on stupid walking styles.

But a sim showing joy over being pregnant? Not a required animation. Okay.

It's kinda like the angry poop thing. Sims don't get explosive diarrhea or anything, they just look constipated or some such.

As for the rest of it, whatev. EA doesn't get anything from me watching videos and I only watch people I like. The second I start hearing about how fuzzy backgrounds and purple trees are the coolest thing since sliced bread, I will not watch that persons videos ever again.
Forum Resident
#22780 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:16 PM
I agree with the crowd praising Lovcat's Let's Talk. It's quite refreshing to see someone playing without sending their voices to dolphin-like levels and throwing "adorable" to every single bug that happens on screen! (it's scarier when guys do it).

To the crowd doing reviews - I would say it's better to play a few more days before doing it, no? Right-off-the-bat-reviews are usually too hyped, which kinda defeats its purpouse. I don't think the game will be a catastrophe for the first few times (although the report of crashes is quite worrysome)... what I personally as very bad is longevity. How much time until the novelty runs off and the "features" start to become a major annoyance? Or limitations start to get in the way of the game? How many times can you handle the game cutting you right in the middle of gameplay to send your sim back home to work?
Lab Assistant
#22781 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:18 PM
I'm having so much fun with this game. Really.

What? No, I'm not playing it. But others do....

Instructor
#22782 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFake
I'm having so much fun with this game. Really.

What? No, I'm not playing it. But others do....

omg i'm screaming
Instructor
#22783 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:21 PM
I'm still staying strong. With all the complaining and disappointment people are still rushing out to get the game? No wonder EA and the gurus don't take y'all seriously.

Well, I'm glad you guys are having fun. I still won't buy it. I guess this will be the end for the Sims series for me because it's going to be a a hit which means they'll pull even worse shit with the next installment.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Theorist
#22784 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
I agree with the crowd praising Lovcat's Let's Talk. It's quite refreshing to see someone playing without sending their voices to dolphin-like levels and throwing "adorable" to every single bug that happens on screen! (it's scarier when guys do it).

To the crowd doing reviews - I would say it's better to play a few more days before doing it, no? Right-off-the-bat-reviews are usually too hyped, which kinda defeats its purpouse. I don't think the game will be a catastrophe for the first few times (although the report of crashes is quite worrysome)... what I personally as very bad is longevity. How much time until the novelty runs off and the "features" start to become a major annoyance? Or limitations start to get in the way of the game? How many times can you handle the game cutting you right in the middle of gameplay to send your sim back home to work?

I hope to be able to view Lovcat's videos sometime tomorrow! They actually sound normal.

So far, Amazon ratings have it at 2 out of 5 stars, so apparently not everyone is hyped.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
One Minute Ninja'd
#22785 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It's kinda like the angry poop thing. Sims don't get explosive diarrhea or anything, they just look constipated or some such.

OK, so the angry poop gets rid of the anger, right? So does angry push ups, right? Then how come, judging only from the LBs I've seen, the default action for dealing with anger seems to be push ups, instead of a run to the can? Because I'd rather have my sim crapping it out than getting all sweaty every time they get pissed off about something. Then again, that's just me.

Personally, I'm enjoying the fun around the release. And @lovcat, I'm really enjoying your vids. Fair, balanced, and pleasing to both watch and listen to. Keep them coming!
Field Researcher
#22786 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lemit57
I see that Carl (the Sims) is giving a 9 out of 10 for the game. He received an early copy. His post is down the page.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/f...,20450.425.html

It's worth remembering that Carl's Sims has a promotional deal with Origin for TS4, where you buy via the link they provide and the site gets a cut of the profit. I'm absolutely not suggesting that the review is definitely biased or anything like that because of this - obviously I have no way of knowing that. I just think it's something to bear in mind.
Field Researcher
#22787 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:34 PM
Where's IGN's The Sims 4 Review?

Quote:
Deroni67
IGN's The Sims 4 review:
"Worst game ever, 9/10"

Theorist
#22788 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
OK, so the angry poop gets rid of the anger, right?

You'll have to ask somebody that has the game or watch a Lets Play and see if the mood of the angry pooper changes.
Field Researcher
#22789 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:43 PM
So, is it any good?
Forum Resident
#22790 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:43 PM
Watching all the various LP's and streams is really entertaining, mind. I keep hearing the same thing again and again

"this world is so small, I don't like it"
"I just had sex with this person's spouse and they don't even care"
"There's nothing to do here, I guess we can just go to the park"
"The park is nothing special, let's go home again"
"She's in labour and no ones noticed!!"
"Why is everyone doing random push-ups"
"Now that's not an angry poop"
"Let's build a pool and drow -oh yeah you can't do that here"
etc etc.

It's so funny.
Instructor
#22791 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Euan
So, is it any good?

From what I've seen, this is the kind of game you could have fun with if it was some kind of spinoff you bought for 15 bucks and are paying it on a tablet or non gaming laptop. Until you can go back to the main Sims series.

It's definitely not worthy of being a main installment nor is it worth its price tag.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Forum Resident
#22792 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:56 PM Last edited by Flaygor : 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by virgalibabe
I'm still staying strong. With all the complaining and disappointment people are still rushing out to get the game? No wonder EA and the gurus don't take y'all seriously.

Well, I'm glad you guys are having fun. I still won't buy it. I guess this will be the end for the Sims series for me because it's going to be a a hit which means they'll pull even worse shit with the next installment.

I guess we're in a "Catch 22" situation here. If we all buy it, I agree with you that the next one will be weirder still. But if noone buys it, then we probably won't get anything and will be left hoping that someone else picks up the franchise. Big companies also work on a different logic to us and they may already be going in a different direction, so unfortunately it may not matter what we do.

It is also a big leap of faith to think that someone like me, who has bought just about everything Sims up to now, will do the same thing this time and eventually spend over a thousand dollars on this little gem like I did on Sims 3. I have also found myself guilty of being too much of a hater prior to release and I guess I'm now putting my money where my mouth is.

EDIT: enough already! I don't think this came across right and I've said I'm sorry....
Scholar
#22793 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:03 PM
The shit has hit the fan, reviews are going up at Amazon US. 14 reviews so far, it is currently at 2 stars, and the majority of reviews are negs, out of the positive reviews one was put up the day before pre-orders were released for preload and is either a Guru or a Yibsim, or someone who pirated the game thus it will be probably be taken down by Amazon, as it has already been reported a bunch of times. Once reviews at Amazon tank to the point they are below two stars usually the people with positive thoughts will not bother writing reviews and its all over .
Scholar
#22794 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Flaygor
I guess we're in a "Catch 22" situation here. If we all buy it, I agree with you that the next one will be weirder still. But if noone buys it, then we probably won't get anything and will be left hoping that someone else picks up the franchise.
True, sadly. At least I hope they have considered some of the many valid criticisms that have been voiced here. Or who knows, maybe the other gurus shipped Graham off to Australia because they were tired of hearing what us mud stickers were up to

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Mad Poster
#22795 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
@lewisb40 - I love your people and your screen shots of them. They seem so interesting! Thanks for all the information, too. I was hoping those lamps really did add something to the game and weren't just some silly deco item. Did you get the lamp from the future expansion? That's the one that I won't have when I get my game and I was wondering what it did.

Yeah, I got them but haven't used that one yet. Or did I? It's in Grandma's room...yeah, they are expecting and Mama's excited. When I finish napping, I will check if it's the ITF lamp. I think they are suppose to help with learning or something. I know one enhance playfulness. Mama has been getting frisky with an old dude, it's hilarious. Elders have lots to do, love their clothes but some of the choice I don't ever want my elders wearing, not yet! They do get tired fast, don't matter how much coffee I ply them, and using the bathroom, OMG, the noises. Well, the mama and son are slobs, that may be the reason for blowing out the toliet, and they complain about the smell. :D

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#22796 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:05 PM
(...) But if noone buys it, then we probably won't get anything and will be left hoping that someone else picks up the franchise. Big companies also work on a different logic to us and they may already be going in a different direction, so unfortunately it may not matter what we do.

(...)

That is why I disagreed. I also found the analogy that I'm going for in English and I will just C&P it here.

Quote:
They say that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water,
it will leap out right away to escape the danger.

But, if you put a frog in a kettle that is filled with water that is cool and pleasant,
and then you gradually heat the kettle until it starts boiling,
the frog will not become aware of the threat until it is too late.
The frog's survival instincts are geared towards detecting sudden changes.

I don't want to be that frog anymore.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22797 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:17 PM
I guess we're in a "Catch 22" situation here. If we all buy it, I agree with you that the next one will be weirder still. But if noone buys it, then we probably won't get anything and will be left hoping that someone else picks up the franchise. Big companies also work on a different logic to us and they may already be going in a different direction, so unfortunately it may not matter what we do.

But that's just not a reason to buy a sub-standard product.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#22798 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:18 PM

It is also a big leap of faith to think that someone like me, who has bought just about everything Sims up to now, will do the same thing this time and eventually spend over a thousand dollars on this little gem like I did on Sims 3. I have also found myself guilty of being too much of a hater prior to release and I guess I'm now putting my money where my mouth is.

Only way The Sims is getting sold is if EA itself is going to get swallowed up by some other company. No way they drop The Sims, that's almost like Nintendo dropping Mario. The Sims franchise makes too much money for them to just give up after one bad game (I don't even think this one is bad, at worse it is decent) so I think you all should be safe with skipping this one and not worrying about that.
Lab Assistant
#22799 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:20 PM
i GOTTA SAY my first impression of the game: I really like it.
I love Team Fortress 2 and the graphics of TS4 really remind me of it. Here is the first pictures I took.

What a "#weird" game!
Mad Poster
#22800 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Euan
So, is it any good?

The graphics still look like shit, the bloom I forgot to turn down. The lots are full in my game and usually have to get someone away from an objects I just placed in the park. Speaking of the park, anyone know where to get those frog pond objects, it has no cost and usually you can get stuff like that from BuyDebug but there isn't one so far? The pond is an object that the sim can fish from too. Also, what do I need to start fixing up the rocketship? I placed it in the park but I don't know if sims can work on it there.

I had to figure out how to start the game because the damn tutorial throws you in CAS and talks about achievements for going through CAS and uploading a sim. The tute was helpful but so damn invasive and block other parts of the tiny UI when I need to see them. You can start from a new world but I just saw the option, after I was thrown into EA's created world. I haven't started the game again to see if it throws me into CAS again, but from the options tab you can manage and/or pick another world.

Well, I got until 12am to figure out if I will keep it. So far, I am having a bit of fun, but I am ignoring all the goals and collecting for now. I do like some of the interactions, the sims recognize family and are close to them. Even the sims that want a party life tends to want a bit of time with the family and get tense until I get that relationship in. That is what I wanted, some type of connection between family and Yes! I want my toddlers back!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Locked thread
Page 912 of 920