Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fence-Arches and Fences (Maxis-matching "Pinegultcher" set)

by Numenor Posted 24th Nov 2008 at 2:28 PM - Updated 14th Mar 2009 at 8:48 PM by Numenor : Restored missing attachment

68 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 60 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Forum Resident
#26 Old 26th Nov 2008 at 6:55 AM
Awesome Numenor!!! Thanks a lot!!!
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#27 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 7:24 AM
Hey Num this is awesome work! I still have the first house I built with the then brand-new Sims2 and it featured extensive use of that fence arch! I love it and have always wished we could at least reco it =) So thank you thank you once again for poking the boundaries and finding them mushy

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Alchemist
#28 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
You have to delete from both the Downloads and the Scriptorium folder the fence-arches 80, 81, 82 and 83 (i.e. the non-suspended ones).
Thanks, that works fine.
Test Subject
#29 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 2:57 PM
Should the arches also work on driveway expansions? I have no problems to use them on normal driveways but when I trie to use them on the expansion my Sims can`t use the cars. When I tell them to drive the car they only stand around and do nothing and when I cancel the action nothing happens, the still stand around and do nothing so I have to sell the car with moveobjects on or reset the sim in debug mod.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what I mean.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 9:19 PM
Yes, I understand, but I don't know exactly what to answer Maybe the car is just too big; try a smaller one.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#31 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 1:22 AM
I tried each car in game and found only 3 that are working without problems (the recolourable Ford Mustang GT, Fiat Punto and the Minima ), so I think it doesn´t matter if they are small or big, cc or maxis, but what could be the reason that some work and others don´t ?
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 6:16 AM
Numenor - OMG i am so glad that sometihg came from Niol's thread. I founs it a while ago and have been waiting for one of you to figure something out
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 10:48 AM
za1susi I'm studying the code, and for the life of me I can't find why cars are treated differently. I also noticed that if a car doesn't work on the extension, it doesn't work on the main driveway, either. I hope to find a solution, however, the fence-arches were not purposely designed to create garages, though it's undoubtly an interesting usage that I'd like to perfect.

the_alien_among_us And I'm glad that someone else, apart the two of us, has read and found interesting that thread -

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#34 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 5:25 PM
You are so awesome! Once again you answered a silent wish of mine. Once I saw the original arch, I wanted more in colors, Thank You! And. as always, your skill and dedication show in your work.

Carpe Nocturne -- Seize the Night!
Alchemist
#35 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 9:07 AM
Having another problem, probably 'user error' again...I have most of the set working in-game, but the orange suspended arch seems to be invisible. The others appear when placed.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 9:43 AM
Aelflaed, check (or reinstall) the TXT file "88_Numenor_FenceArch_Trellis-Orange-Suspended.txt" in the Scriptorium folder, and the file "Numenor_FenceArch_88_Trellis-Orange-Suspended.package" in the Downloads.

Alchemist
#37 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 11:14 AM
Both files are in-game (checked that already), but I'll try re-installing them and see if that helps.

Edit - okay, proved again that my head is full of cotton-wool lately. I had the txt file in, but not the package file. Sorry to bother you.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 5:05 PM
First, let me say thank you. It is great to finally have fences to match those gates perfectly. However, I'm having one minor problem with the regular, (non-arch,) fenches. They appear in my game as default content. Something else in my game could be causing this or perhaps the files are supposed to show as defaults? I wouldn't bring it up since I like them but I thought I should mention it incase there was something wrong with the files.
Test Subject
#39 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 2:06 AM
S'wonderful - now I can build a sukkah for my Sims! Thanks so much!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moon Dragon
I'm having one minor problem with the regular, (non-arch,) fenches. They appear in my game as default content.

You mean without the "custom content" asterisk? It's normal, the fences have been tweaked to work in the base game, too, and this makes them lose the CC mark. However, apart from this little visual difference, they *are* custom content, and can be removed as easily as the other custom content.

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
You mean without the "custom content" asterisk? It's normal, the fences have been tweaked to work in the base game, too, and this makes them lose the CC mark. However, apart from this little visual difference, they *are* custom content, and can be removed as easily as the other custom content.

Yes, thank you for your response. That is exactly what I meant. I'm sorry if my post wasn't very clear. I have no intention of actually removing them from my game. I just wasn't aware that tweaking for base game would remove the asterisk and wished to confirm that everything was functioning as intended. Thank you for explaining this difference and for the fences.
Test Subject
#42 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 6:12 PM
Thanks, these are great. I have wondered about these since the game first came out, but no one anywhere seemed to mention them, and now there are finally some matching colours.
Test Subject
#43 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 4:46 AM
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#44 Old 23rd Jan 2009 at 8:01 PM
Default Manual installation
I'm on OS X, so I can't use the scriptorium, so I've just (re-)installed these manually -- it seems to work just like expected, except for one thing: i'm not sure if I can put in the lines that go like "catalogTextResource Numenor_FenceArch_85_Trellis-LightWood-Suspended 255". Can I just copy them over? The EAxian comments say:
Quote:
# catalogTextResource XXXX X

# the name of the IFF file and the index of the stringset
# within that file holding the strings to use for catalog
# descriptions and related metadata.

but I don't know where those IFF files would be and I can't look into the packages to see whether they're in there or perhaps a Scriptorium thing that I don't have. I've just left those lines out for now, which doesn't seem to cause any issues, but I'm curious, are there any possible problems with that approach that I'm not (yet) seeing? Except perhaps missing catalogue descriptions (which I can absolutely live without)?

Currently my fencearches.txt goes like this:

#Numenor_FenceArch_81_Trellis-White
fenceArch 81
archCenterModel "numenor-fencearch-trelliswhite-center"
archEastModel "numenor-fencearch-trelliswhite-east"
archWestModel "numenor-fencearch-trelliswhite-west"
archPostModel "numenor-fencearch-trelliswhite-post
catalogTextIndex 0
mayPlaceDiagonally false

(and so on)

Is that all that's needed?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 12:33 AM
The "IFF files" are simply the ".package" files. The line:
catalogTextResource Numenor_FenceArch_85_Trellis-LightWood-Suspended 255
instructs the game to look for the Text List 0x00FF (i.e. dec. 255) located in the file named Numenor_FenceArch_85_Trellis-LightWood-Suspended.package (in the Downloads folder).
Therefore, the mentioned line should work in your game, too; if not, the only thing you will miss will be the catalog descriptions.

PS: even if you are on a Mac, you can manually create a Scriptorium-like environment, thus avoiding editing the game TXT scripts every time you add a fence-arch or else. The instructions are included in the manual Scriptorium zip.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#46 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 1:21 AM
Thanks for the info (package == IFF? Duh!) -- and thanks for the tip about the DIY wildcard inclusion, I never saw that!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 4:13 PM
These are great! Thank you so much :D
Field Researcher
#48 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 3:13 PM
Super Set as usual nice work Thanks
Instructor
#49 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 5:47 PM
I'm also on OS X (and want to thank Plasticbox for asking the question I was going to), but I have one question about the manual set up for Scriptorium. You say to create an "alias" to the Scriptorium in your DL folder. Is this simply a folder with any given name? Is it a .txt file? Or is it a .txt file within a folder? I'm a little fuzzy on that part as it's explained in the directions. Thanks. And, great work on these... me, very appreciative.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 10:33 PM
This should be asked in the Scriptorium thread.

However (and please keep in mind that I never used a Mac), the "alias" is explained HERE.

Page 2 of 3