Replies: 789 (Who?), Viewed: 165032 times.
Page 27 of 32
Forum Resident
#651 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 6:03 AM
I would like to point out one thing that you said, Misanthrope. You said that you REALLY had to tweak the features. THATS what buggs people. You never actually get to gameplay once you finish detailing your sim to look NON CARTOON. Wasnt the point of TS3 to be REALISTIC?
Scholar
#652 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 12:18 PM
Here's a thing that did me in, as a Sims 3 player. I had a Sim architect, who was also a photographer. She had collected around $70,000 worth of photos in her photo-camera. One nice day I wandered around MTS, just reading posts and stuff, and found info about the stupid camera/photography bug, and thought to myself: "lucky me, I didn't have that happen to my Sim!"
Naturally, the next time I entered her lot there it was - the dreaded bug in all its glory, complete with ruined and stuck camera, missing skill diary - and once I managed to unstuck the stupid thing - missing motive description while in camera mode. I suppose the last one is actually connected to the missing photography skill diary.

I lost count how many glitches and bugs I had to deal with previous to this one, but the peculiar timing of my discovery of this particular one really angered me. It seemed as if the cursed game decided to get revenge on me just for being so presumptous and believing that I was, for once, safe.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know how to fix this. Or at least, I know all about the way I could *most probably* get all those features back. I just don't want to anymore. I've had enough. Good riddance!

TS2 had its quirks too, but mostly my troubles with it were of my own creation. I usually installed conflicting hacks or something equally as brilliant. And once I learned how to handle my CC and how to keep my hood from imploding, everything worked - and still does - just fine.
The experience with TS3 has actually made me realize how good and stable a game TS2 was/is.

And while I'm ranting, let me just point out one more thing that really disappointed me. Ambitions' professions.
My architect did her job around the hood, alright, and she earned loads of money and I got a hang of the whole thing - it wasn't a problem at all. But what annoyed me to no end is that her clients had all this cash to give her and to spend, and I *knew* that many of them actually were as poor as church mice.
Why couldn't it be done so that the money spent/earned actually came out of the real household funds? On the same note: why couldn't my Sims that had ghosts in their backyard call ghosthunters to deal with them?
Why couldn't *anything* pertaining to the Ambitions' professions have been connected in some meaningful way with the life of the community? Or is this too much to ask?

In a word: nothing ever managed to feel real and relevant for the life of my town, and it turned a simulation into "faking it" game. So not cool! And not my thing. And Ambitions was the single EP I invested most of my hopes in. I hoped it would be more like OFB, which turned out to be an EP that actually enabled me to make a living community out of a disjointed hood - with the help of a few hacks, of course, but still!

So, in the end, open hood or not, TS2 (with modded OFB) is a better living town simulation that TS3 will ever be, no matter any future EP or any ammount of mods I could ever cram into it.
Lab Assistant
#653 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 6:07 AM
I played sims 3 for about 6 months and just didnt like it. while i did like open neighborhood and i did like story progression i didnt like the rabbit holes as id rather a loading screen and have community lots. i was always big on my sims looks and hated how they looked in sims 3. way too cartoony for my taste. the sims were robotic and i didnt feel attached to any of them. i did like certain things like CAS favorites, voices, color and pattern wheel, body sliders etc... i liked wearing shoes seperate from the outfits. i didnt like the lack of interactions, the difference from how they looked in CAS which they then looked different in the game, i didnt like WA at all, i felt the SP's werent worth the money, i had tons of stuff from the store but got sick of forking out more money, and i just was too bored with the game in general.
Instructor
#654 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 8:00 PM
I liked both games a lot, but I was much more impressed with TS3 when I didn't have any of the EPs for TS2.

I saw people constantly reminiscing about features from TS2 and I got curious. I had just gotten Late Night for TS3, and that EP convinced me that the developers were incompetent. Seriously.... nightclubs with no people? Bands that never get gigs (I thought this was a career)? Celebrities based on...nothing? NPC parties that don't even work? It was just idiotic.

After that, I decided to go back to TS2 and check out all the EPs I had never played. Boy, was I glad I did.... Most of them cost very little money, and the features and objects were amazing. I couldn't believe how much detail went into the game.

I'm sure I'll go back to playing TS3 some day, but it's going to take some truly impressive EPs (or some very low prices for the current ones) to convince me it's worth playing again.
Theorist
#655 Old 8th Aug 2011 at 1:57 PM
I was really excited about Sims 3 and pre ordered it as soon as I could. I thought Sims would just age at the same rate so everyone's ages would be kept in synch and that sounded great because my biggest Sims 2 problem were boring Sims who got stuck in a time warp. A few days after I got it I uninstalled it though because the neighborhood progression wasn't what I thought it was going to be (I just wanted the game to age my Sims, not change the course I'd set for them) and because you were tied to one family.

Eventually I started wanting to play Sims again and repurchased Sims 2. I did this because I like being able to see inside the community lots the sims are in, the Sims 2 sims are better looking (not a graphics issue - the Sims 3 faces are weird to me, Even the heavily tweaked ones that are supposed to be examples of good looking Sims 3 sims look odd. Sims 3 homes are nicer though). Most of all my game style is a better fit for Sims 2, because I like managing sprawling neighborhoods. I hope the next Sims game will restore that degree of control to the player, but this time I'm not switching over until I've seen a lot of reviews.
Mad Poster
#656 Old 8th Aug 2011 at 2:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
Eventually I started wanting to play Sims again and repurchased Sims 2. I did this because I like being able to see inside the community lots the sims are in, the Sims 2 sims are better looking (not a graphics issue - the Sims 3 faces are weird to me, Even the heavily tweaked ones that are supposed to be examples of good looking Sims 3 sims look odd. Sims 3 homes are nicer though). Most of all my game style is a better fit for Sims 2, because I like managing sprawling neighborhoods. I hope the next Sims game will restore that degree of control to the player, but this time I'm not switching over until I've seen a lot of reviews.

And that is why i like the cartoon-ish look of the sims 2
Lab Assistant
#657 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 6:05 PM
The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 both have there differences. In TS2
the hair and clothing is much better. In TS3 the graphics and quality
has improved a bit. Overall, it comes up to what you think is the better
choice for you.
Field Researcher
#658 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 9:19 PM
Trying to enjoy TS3 as I type this but I can already feel myself losing interest and I've only played for a few hours. I remember just before TS2 came out that I uninstalled and sold back all my TS1 stuff knowing I'd never touch it again. I had thought I'd do the same thing when TS3 was announced but my gut instinct said not to get rid of TS2 and I'm so eternally grateful I didn't. I would have been really annoyed to have to buy them all back (and I would have!) since TS3 just isn't as good.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Lab Assistant
#659 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 12:23 AM
One of the best things about Ts2 is the body shop. It allowed you to tweak your sim just right, and more often than not, it came out looking at least relatively realistic. With ts3, I felt I tweaked ever loving HELL out of their faces and no matter what, they looked basically the same. And never mind trying to actually copy someone's likeness. That's just not happening. I like the body slider, but that's really it in terms of creating sims in ts3. Even in their cartoony way, I feel like ts2 sims just looked more realistic when you were done with them.
Lab Assistant
#660 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 4:42 PM
I haven't played TS3, but my friend let me read her legacy on LiveJournal, so I have some idea of what TS3 is like.
Personally, I really don't like the way the Sims look. Their faces are so... squishy. And they all look the same. TS2 Sims are much more realistic-looking (with the right amount of CC, of course).
Although, one thing I like about TS3 is that you can visit other Sim's houses. Other than that, I don't really care much for TS3. :/

|| Tumblr ||
Field Researcher
#661 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 2:20 PM
I love some things about both, and dislike some about both. Maybe they can combine the good? Well, what do I like and dislike?

1. Sims 2 - Like the total control of playing one family at a time, and knowing that the rest won't do ANYTHING really till I get back to them. Sims 3 - Like being able to visit other families, not just community lots. Curious if anyone has played TS3 with the story progression off. Not sure how that would work.....
2. Sims 2 - Like the way to change the roof slope better - with the little angle chooser. Sims 3 - Don't like having to delete all but one, to change the angles. Very tedious. However, LOVE the way we can drag a wall out or in, to adjust a house, and the wallpaper and flooring change, too. Such a time saver!!
3. Sims 3 vacations are way more fun that SIms 2 vacations, although, I do miss the hotels.
4. The way the personalities can be set in each game is interesting. Like things about both, and wish we could have a combination. Basic traits like neat, nice, etc, from TS2, and the personality quirks like in TS3.
5. Really miss the changing tables in TS3. No idea why we can't have those. Sure, option to change without is nice, but can't we have both?
6. Clothing!!! Why, oh why, oh why can we not BUY them additional outfits in TS3????? I love having three options for each as we create them, but I want to buy additional clothing for them as well. Yeah, yeah, I know, we can change those three any time, but it's sort of a pain. Plus, the shopping was fun.

Something they have not done in ANY game, that I would love to see, is a height adjustment! Really, everyone the same age is the same height? Come on, devs - we can adjust chest size, muscle size AND tone, and weight, quite a lot (which I LOVE about TS3). But not height? Even a little?

I like things about both, and get into modes where I play one or the other for long stretches. Yes, both still installed, lol!
Lab Assistant
#662 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 2:00 PM
I like both games, but on completely different levels and for different reasons.

With Sims 2, I get far more engrossed in it and invested with the characters there. I like controlling their lives after they've moved out and flown the nest and developing the neighbourhood as a whole.

Sims 3, however, I play very rarely and only if I'm lacking motivation or losing a bit of interest in Sims 2. I have a very casual game-play style with 3, and play only one family in a legacy style. I do like the traits system, and I don't mind Story Progression, but only because I find I don't actually care what happens to my Sims after they've grown up in Sims 3 - I'm not as attached to them as I am with my Sims 2 characters.

I just view them as completely seperate games. I love the Sims 2 - Sims 3 is okay and enjoyable in its own way, but I wouldn't miss it terribly if I had to uninstall.
Mad Poster
#663 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 3:04 PM
Once I saw the pudding faces for Sims 3, I was thinking, nope, don't want.

I also searched YouTube for gameplay videos.

I'll stick with 2. Ever since I downloaded custom skins, eyes, etc., I've made my Sims look a lot better. And I have some great-looking townies thanks to the new face templates I have!
Field Researcher
#664 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 3:58 PM
I think the things everyone likes or dislikes about both games have probably already been stated. So, I won't rehash those differences.
However, there is one thing no one has mentioned and I will complain about in S3.
The lighting. When you want to build or remodel a house, the rooms are very dark.
The windows let in very little light in live mode, also. The houses are so dark that I find building in that game almost impossible to enjoy. Even moving a wall back or over with the tool makes the rooms darker as you do that. There should be a way to adjust Gamma for this game. Not my video cards as I have played it on 2 different pcs and 3 different cards.
I like the fact the game has smart lighting (like Numenor's hack for S2) that allows lights to stay off if your Sim isn't in that room etc. but the lighting when building and the fact all the rooms are so dark (no matter even if you put a white wall paper in house) is a big turn off for me> as much as the ingame sliders don't really make them look any different from one another.

The pudding faces, without the hack installed to adjust them more,is just too much too. But I digress, I said I wouldn't mention things already stated.
O.K> I will digress more, I hate the way you can't just swap families while playing.
Scholar
#665 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 5:53 PM
Sims 2: No lights in the room, it's cool.
Sims 3: OMG THE DARK FUDGE THIS! I need lights can't live without lights

Sims 2: Outside at night
Sims 3: Better be and outdoor sim or red environment

Sims 2: Okay some terrain is showing in what is technically inside, but it's cool
Sims 3: Not so much.

Sims 2: I want to stay at home.
Sims 3: I don't want to stay at home.

Sims 2: Building the grid is easily visible to people who see color differently
Sims 3: Grid for some of those who don't see color normally it seems to vanish and it hard to see.

Sims 3 is brighter in color than sims 2.

Sims 2: Just can wander around on my lot, can't visit anyone else; however I can visit community lots though.
Sims 3: Walk around the neighborhood, and watch me steal from the neighbors.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Test Subject
#666 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 2:41 AM
I've never played sims 3. But I want to play because of the house features and stuff like that. Ts2 is my favourite game, and I want to play ts3.
Lab Assistant
#667 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 6:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowningFishy

Sims 3 is brighter in color than sims 2.

For my games somehow, the colors in Sims 2 are much more brighter and colorful. The TS3 colors somehow look rather neutral/desaturated to me.It could be my game settings/computer as I can play TS2 on the highest setting, whereas, I can't go beyond medium settings in TS3. But, even before upgrading my computer (when I had to play TS2 in medium setting) I found TS2 to be as colorful.

On another note, people list 'loading screens' as a big drawback for TS2. But for my game, it doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes to load a family or to take someone to community lot in TS2. This with more than 1 GB of CC in TS2.
But it takes at least 15-20 minutes to load a TS3 save file. I have only the AM mod and not a single other cc/hack for TS3.
Lab Assistant
#668 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 10:17 AM
Sims 3 is okay, I must admit that the objects in it are more of what we wanted for 2 and the clothing as well. The whole walk around town thing rocks too, but I must say as far as game play and characters go Sims 2 beats Sims 3 with a stick. I have both and hardly ever touch 3. I just wish there was a converter that allows you to change sims 3 objects/meshes to Sims 2 stuff. I'm so gonna die if I cant get the Maxis smart car for 3 into my sims 2 game to go with my eco friendly house. :0(
Instructor
#669 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 1:56 AM
Just a random thought here; it seems to me that the thing I love about TS3 is the environments. I like the way the houses look, I like the water/sunrise/sunsets/trees, etc. But in TS2, what I really love are the Sims themselves.

I feel like with TS3, too much attention was paid to the town and its graphics and not enough attention to the actual Sims.
Instructor
#670 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 1:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelira78
But it takes at least 15-20 minutes to load a TS3 save file. I have only the AM mod and not a single other cc/hack for TS3.

I would say that loading times that long aren't normal for most users. On my PC, loading a saved game is typically less than a minute or two.
Test Subject
#671 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 5:43 PM
You know, on a lot of levels I agree with all the people who said Sims 2 was full of life. I've never played Sims 2 that much (because when it came out, my Sims phase was already over - I mostly played Sims 1), but when I played it again this year, I realised it was a lot of fun.

However, there is one thing I can't understand. The looks of the Sims. No Sim ever looks realistic to me. The premade ones are cartoonish and the ones with custom content look like photoshopped supermodels crossed with anime bishounen/bishoujo. Why people keep saying "Sims in TS2 looked more realistic" is beyond me. Perhaps they looked prettier to you, but... really, that's got nothing to do with realism. In fact, I'd roughly say that TS3 Sims look more realistic, even though both are pretty far from being close to actual humans.
Instructor
#672 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 6:33 PM
I would definitly say that S2-sims look more realistic then the ones from S3 - and waaay better. S2-sims have a character, and it´s easy to make them look different and uniqe. I have never played S3, but when I see pictures of those sims I can not tell them apart. That´s not realistic. Of course S2-sims look cartoonish too, but in a different and more balanced way. Everybody have different opinions, but personaly I hope that, if Sims 4 comes out, those sims will look more like the S2-sims, but with better graphics of course.
Mad Poster
#673 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 1:13 AM
sims 2 is more realistic than sims 3 because hair in the sims 2 (not all) moves a bit, while in the sims 3, it seems to be stiff.
Field Researcher
#674 Old 20th Dec 2011 at 5:53 PM
i love the sims 2 and the sims 3 cant run on my laptop
Test Subject
#675 Old 21st Dec 2011 at 12:34 AM
Speaking as somebody who has played NOTHING but TS3 for the past two and a half years, I can legitimately say I prefer TS2.
There's just something so charming about the second installment of the series. Weather, pets, vampires, ALIENS, weird glitches, I miss all of it so much.
I've lost a few of my TS2 ep's (currently only have ofb, al, uni, nl, and bv) but you better believe when I find them, I am definitely going to install them on my new pc and download a bunch of CC. The Sims 3 is good for a while, but I find myself getting bored with it a lot. I have to be in a certain mood to play it, and even then, by the time I have my favorite family loaded and ready to go, I'm already bored. With TS2 I could play for HOURS and never even get bored.
To sum it up,
In the Sims 2, the sims are like little people who have minds of their own, attitudes of their own.
In the Sims 3, the sims are like pixel barbies. They seem flat and static to me.
Page 27 of 32