Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 2:20 PM
How to get around Insane trait outfit switching?
I love the level of personality that the Insane trait in Sims 3 provides yet I hate the way my Sim is constantly stopping to swap outfits. Now, I've resigned myself to the fact that the outfit switching is a hardcoded feature of the trait that can't be edited out, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get around it -- be it through permanently deleting all but one outfits, disabling certain autonomous actions (similar to MC Tuner for Sims 4 perhaps), making a copy of the trait that somehow retains all of the trait's other features, or who knows what else.

I know very little about Sims 3 modding so I don't know what's possible to change within the game engine. I'm happy to learn so that I can make the mod myself, but could somebody help me out by guiding me in the right direction? Or providing any alternate solutions they can think of? Thanks.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 7:09 PM
I'm not sure, if I understand your point correctly. In my game insane sims do not change clothes more often than other sims, they just pick a inappropriate option every time. Do you want to have 'normal' clothes switching behaviour? Then I would start to look into the tuning, perhaps there is a change clothes interaction that can be tuned easily by removing a special tuning for the insane trait...
But this will not alter the number of switches. If you want less switches, I would think this change will affect all sims, not only insane ones. Perhaps NRaas Tuner can help to disable autonomy for the interaction. But I have a feeling that this could cause bad side effects, like aging problems (needs a clothes change as well...)

Unfortunately I've never seen a mod for this. The only one related to clothes changing is https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=477049 Perhaps you can learn something from there?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Smyrrna
I'm not sure, if I understand your point correctly. In my game insane sims do not change clothes more often than other sims, they just pick a inappropriate option every time. Do you want to have 'normal' clothes switching behaviour? Then I would start to look into the tuning, perhaps there is a change clothes interaction that can be tuned easily by removing a special tuning for the insane trait...
But this will not alter the number of switches. If you want less switches, I would think this change will affect all sims, not only insane ones. Perhaps NRaas Tuner can help to disable autonomy for the interaction. But I have a feeling that this could cause bad side effects, like aging problems (needs a clothes change as well...)

Unfortunately I've never seen a mod for this. The only one related to clothes changing is https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=477049 Perhaps you can learn something from there?

Thanks for the reply. Insane Sims actually do change outfits at random, at any point, with no cooldown and with total disregard for their surroundings. That behaviour's been well documented since this game came out but I can record some footage of what it looks like, just to give a better idea of how annoying it is.

Although I've heard from a few pretty definitive sources that there's no tuning relating to the clothes-changing aspect, I might still give it a shot. How do I go about diving into the tuning/scripting/etc?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lolavaruska
Insane Sims actually do change outfits at random, at any point, with no cooldown and with total disregard for their surroundings.

Oh! I didn't know that. I had an insane sims only once and it seems like I did not pay enough attention to him (overstuffed household )

For getting into tuning, there are a few straight forward tutorials out there (eg. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Tuning_Modding) but I cannot point you to the path of the interaction unfortunately (if it exists... sounds not to promising from your description). Perhaps someone with more insight can give you more pointers here... Good luck!

(All general modding tutorials from MTS here in the wiki:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._GeneralModding)
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 10:16 PM
I wonder if this mod would help. I had one sim with the insane trait and it drove me batty with all the changing of clothing. I stopped giving the trait to my created sims.
https://modthesims.info/d/477049/dr...by-consort.html
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 11:07 PM
Mod thing/conflict, but I too never had Insane Sims change clothes randomly. As for changing to random clothes? Yes, but not changing them at randomly.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Curious, isn't changing into inappropriate outfit the only effect of the insane trait? I'm unaware it actually does anything else.

There are a few other minor things- and I may not have caught all of them. If you propose marriage to an insane sim, their chance to accept is random no matter how high or low the relationship score. Like childish sims they can fish out of swimming pools and one of their opening conversation lines is 'how's the fishing?'. They can talk to themselves for social (and I think fun). The big bulk of what they do seems to be their idle animations (though if you have an idle animation mod, you might not see those).

Quote:
I actually hate it it and remove it whenever I see it in the game.

Ditto. I played the Hart family out of Sunset Valley just to see how they would do (I was surprised that they made good parents- especially to toddler and kids) and I've had one character with the trait because of their concept. I'll leave it on one of the homeless non-service sims that tend registers and what not. Otherwise it's Master Controller to the rescue. Then again, I play the Sims micromanagement style so I reassign traits all the time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Curious, isn't changing into inappropriate outfit the only effect of the insane trait? I'm unaware it actually does anything else.

I actually hate it it and remove it whenever I see it in the game.

It does a few things which I find quite endearing:
  • Unique idle animations, like the above poster mentioned
  • Amusing interactions like "Speak Madness" and "Tak About Conspiracy Theories"
  • Generates wishes that may be totally unrelated to the context
  • More chaotic autonomy -- you never know what your Sim will do next when you leave them alone, which can make for some interesting emergent gameplay!

But also some things I find infuriating:
  • Changes outfits at any given time, sometimes multiple times in quick succession
  • Wears the wrong clothing for certain situations, i.e. formalwear for swimming or sleeping in their everyday outfit
  • Random facial expressions independent of mood (this one's only small but it really bugs me)

Generally it just makes the game a bit less predictable. I find the drawbacks too annoying to live with though, which is why I made this thread. I'll admit that for all of Sims 4's problems, I prefer the way that game implemented their version of the trait.

Also thanks to everyone who suggested Dresscode, but it doesn't really do what I'm after and I think Insane overrides it anyway. Nraas Retuner's autonomy settings also have zero effect on the trait.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 7:29 PM
Found this conversation over at NRaas:
https://www.nraas.net/community/ret...ssion/topic7719 where Chain_Reaction states that the behaviour is hardcoded in the core... I guess this is a lost cause then
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 8:05 PM
Found this conversation over at NRaas:
https://www.nraas.net/community/ret...ssion/topic7719 where Chain_Reaction states that the behaviour is hardcoded in the core... I guess this is a lost cause then

Yeah, I read that too. Even if the behaviour itself is hardcoded, what I'm wondering is if there could be a way to get around it by tricking the game, but I'm really just brainstorming because I don't know what possibilities there are.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 9:35 PM
Custom traits are huge projects, no wonder there are nearly no trait mods out there (https://modthesims.info/t/612672). I've read the instructions for Arsil's Trait Manager some time ago and I think, it gave examples on how to exclude certain interactions for a sims with the custom trait. I guess you could use RequiredTrait to add the insane idle interactions and perhaps the fishing in the pool, but certainly not anything of the interesting stuff like the random wishes or reactions...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 12:36 PM
Custom traits are huge projects, no wonder there are nearly no trait mods out there (https://modthesims.info/t/612672). I've read the instructions for Arsil's Trait Manager some time ago and I think, it gave examples on how to exclude certain interactions for a sims with the custom trait. I guess you could use RequiredTrait to add the insane idle interactions and perhaps the fishing in the pool, but certainly not anything of the interesting stuff like the random wishes or reactions...

Yes, this is the kind of thing I was hoping to find! Although making my own trait does look quite daunting and the risk of corruption scares me a lot, I'll have to try it for myself and report back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 1:22 PM
Okay I tried to follow Arsil's guide to making a trait and got as far as putting it in the game but then it didn't show up and I'm so in over my head that I can't even begin to diagnose the problem. I think I'll give up on that for now, I don't have anywhere near the amount of Sims 3 coding knowledge to do this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 8:46 PM
I think I figured out a workaround to stop the random outfit switching by adding the 'Robot Mode' hidden trait through Master Controller. So far I haven't had any ill effects, besides presumably allowing you to enter the Bot Arena as a Sim. The workaround doesn't affect the 'any outfit for any situation' feature, but I've come to terms with that.

Now I'm working on how to get rid of the random facial idles too; none of the 'No More Annoying Idles' mods seem to stop them.