Replies: 2021 (Who?), Viewed: 200591 times.
Page 81 of 81
Scholar
#2001 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 6:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
We bought a bag of GOYA white rice a couple of weeks ago as that is all I could find at the time.  Does anybody know the secret to cooking it?  I'm determined to use it up as I'm not going to be one of those people that buys stuff "just because" but my usual trick of rinsing rice to remove a lot of the starch isn't helping in this case.  The stuff comes out like oatmeal no matter how much I rinse it. 

I think some really starchy types of rice need to be washed lots before being cooked. And then again after they've been cooked
Not a fan at all.
Mad Poster
#2002 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 7:09 PM
Yeah, it is horrible.  Fortunately I don't live with picky eaters, but the rest of it is going to be reserved for soups.  I tried it again last night and still ended up with 'oatmeal' after 5 minutes of rinsing.  If I can't find the rice I like for awhile, we can live without.
Mad Poster
#2003 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 1:14 AM
Cheese pizza. After hearing a rash of people intentionally infecting produce in NJ, it put a damper on my plans. A number of these people now face bio-terrorist charges.

We used the Pillsbury pizza crust.
The sauce was Don Pepino's, a local NJ product made with the New Jersey Beefsteak tomatoes.
The cheese was Kraft mozzarella, shredded very fine.

One of my best made from a worst situation.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2004 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 3:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Yeah, it is horrible.  Fortunately I don't live with picky eaters, but the rest of it is going to be reserved for soups.  I tried it again last night and still ended up with 'oatmeal' after 5 minutes of rinsing.  If I can't find the rice I like for awhile, we can live without.
Sounds dreadful! I wonder if you could use it up in Red Beans and Rice (Cajun style) or a rice pudding?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#2005 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 9:26 PM
I did a bit of experimenting tonight with carrots and parsnips. I usually just roast them, but this time I decided to make chips (fries for the Americans) out of them, and team them with a grilled Aberdeen Angus bacon cheeseburger.

It kinda worked - a coating of oil mixed with dried parsley and oregano made the parsnips taste amazing, but I wasn't as keen on the carrots as they didn't crisp up quite so well. I'll definitely do the former again though!
As for the burger, it was just a regular bread bun, with watercress, rocket and baby spinach on the bottom, then sliced tomato, followed by the bacon and mozzarella, then the burger itself. I had a tomato slice left over, so it got placed on the top. I don't like to waste stuff.

However, I left it under the grill a mite too long - it got a bit smoky!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.

My MTS Yearbook 2014 page
Mad Poster
#2006 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 2:59 AM Last edited by Zarathustra : 8th Apr 2020 at 3:10 AM.
Last Christmas I got an Elder Scrolls official cookbook and I've been gradually working my way through it... Have to say, most franchise cookbooks like that are just gimmicky and end up being kind of mediocre recipes, but so far everything I've made from it has been pretty good (and required no more tweaking than I do with any other cookbook!). I've made carrots with moonsugar glaze, Argonian swamp shrimp boil, Imperial mushroom sauce, and tonight's attempt is Khajiiti moonsugar and honey pudding, which certainly smelled good as I was working on it!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#2007 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 9:10 PM
Some kind of mystery brown rice with wok veggies and chicken. 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 of those fat carrots, 1 courgette, half a Chinese cabbage, and the part of the chicken was kip karbonade (thats the name in Dutch cos I dunno the name in English). No idea what mum seasoned the chicken with but it was spicy and a bit sweet.
Top Secret Researcher
#2008 Old 9th Apr 2020 at 4:55 AM
I made tacos for the kid. She's not Catholic so she had beef tacos. I had tuna tacos. This is what I get for not raising her Catholic; a penance of sort. This has been my entire Lent.
Just 3 more days.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2009 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 1:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Last Christmas I got an Elder Scrolls official cookbook and I've been gradually working my way through it... Have to say, most franchise cookbooks like that are just gimmicky and end up being kind of mediocre recipes, but so far everything I've made from it has been pretty good (and required no more tweaking than I do with any other cookbook!). I've made carrots with moonsugar glaze, Argonian swamp shrimp boil, Imperial mushroom sauce, and tonight's attempt is Khajiiti moonsugar and honey pudding, which certainly smelled good as I was working on it!
OMG! I bet my son would love that! I'll have to check that out. He loves cooking and he loves the Elder Scrolls......

Mad Poster
#2010 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 1:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
OMG! I bet my son would love that! I'll have to check that out. He loves cooking and he loves the Elder Scrolls......

@VerDeTerre Here you go! I still haven't made anywhere close to everything in it, but there's very few recipes I'm not interested in making at some point!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#2011 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 3:31 PM
Filled chocolates as Easter treats. Making a smaller batch now than I did for Christmas, though.
Space Pony
#2012 Old 11th Apr 2020 at 7:19 AM
I made this stir fry with chicken, honey, garlic, mushrooms, green beans, soy sauce, and put it on top of Knorr chicken rice. It was DELISH!!

Dag-Dag
Mad Poster
#2013 Old 11th Apr 2020 at 10:44 PM
Breadcrumb Breaded chicken.

Been not feeling like myself.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2014 Old 12th Apr 2020 at 7:21 PM
Making a raman-ish type dish for supper : broth, tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, handful of shrimp, leeks, scallions, rouille, miso, noodles..... Yeah, have all these things on hand and am trying to focus on what's in the fridge before going so much into the pantry.

Scholar
#2015 Old 13th Apr 2020 at 5:56 PM
Mum made me bake a lemon cake. I hate baking. I hate cooking too, but most of all I hate baking.

Stuff used: 4 eggs, 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, 1 cup oil, 3/4 cup lemon juice, lemon zest from 2 lemons, vanilla essence, and a packet of the powdery stuff I can't remeber the name of.

1: seperate the egg whites, add some salt, and mix them till they're fluffy or whatever the technical term is.
2: mix the egg yolk with the sugar, and then add the liquids and zest. Keep mixing and add the flour
3: keep mixing (but less violently) and add stuff from the 1st bowl.
4: dunk everything into a tray and shove in to the oven for an unknown amout of time because I really wasn't paying attention to what mum was saying because baking is the absolute worst. This did not spark joy.

It tasted alright though.
Test Subject
#2016 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 3:19 PM
Miso udon. The miso soup base stunk...it was awful. Good thing I cook my stinky foods when my parents are at work and that was my last packet of miso soup base.

It smelled like my reflux tasted. Trust me, if you don't eat better when they take your gallbladder, reflux will happen. I wasn't going to waste imported goods.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2017 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 8:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialevil
Miso udon. The miso soup base stunk...it was awful. Good thing I cook my stinky foods when my parents are at work and that was my last packet of miso soup base.

It smelled like my reflux tasted. Trust me, if you don't eat better when they take your gallbladder, reflux will happen. I wasn't going to waste imported goods.
That's curious. Miso should not smell nor taste badly.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2018 Old 25th May 2020 at 12:46 AM
We're sauteeing scallops tonight - marinated in Southern Comfort and Grand Marniere, and then sauteed with steamed broccoli. We're also cooking up some red potatoes to eat with sour cream and chives. Southern Comfort is beyond disgusting to eat by itself - so sweet - but not bad for cooking (or mixed with cream soda).

We rarely talk about breakfast in this thread, but it's a thing , too! We cooked up scrambled eggs with onions, lox, and cream cheese.

Mad Poster
#2019 Old 28th May 2020 at 2:50 AM
Ger of Hamburg with a side of rings of the onion.

♫Let's get retarded in here. Ooohhooo. Fo' shizzie. Yeehaw.♫
Mad Poster
#2020 Old 14th Jun 2020 at 1:36 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 15th Jun 2020 at 3:08 AM.
Been cooking tortellini the past few nights. Now I'm hungry for pretzels...

"Come on, Finn! Let's go! I got 100 Soft Pretzels!"
Jake, Adventure Time

Where I live, they pack the pretzels in two sizes: 6 (more common at supermarket) and 25 (at Walmart type bulk order stores). I would have to buy 17 of the 6-packs (I owe 2 to my father as part of a communal pantry rule: You eat it, you reimburse) or 4 of the 25 packs. Of course, it would be highly suspect for me to attempt wiping out the pretzel supply in the Tri-County area.

6/14/2020
Strawberries and cream. It was a change of pace.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2021 Old 24th Jun 2020 at 6:04 PM
Potato/egg curry - first time I've tried this and, wow!, that's amazing. Made up a quick side of frozen cut green beans with some Indian type spices, such as black mustard seed, cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and that is also delicious!

Mad Poster
#2022 Old 25th Jun 2020 at 12:10 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 25th Jun 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Lately, I've baked a stuffed crust pizza by DiGiourno, cooked a box of Macaroni and Cheese, Deluxe Edition; and I just put a thing of green apple gelatin in to set up.

I'm certainly busy with my kitchen forays when I am not with doctors.

Page 81 of 81