Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#15201 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
Omg is that a joke? I'm about to go study abroad in Denmark, so I'm gonna have to buy the game there, and I am nooooot paying $96! The game is barely worth $12. Should I buy it on Origin in America? I don't really get how that works lol...I'm scared that if I buy the American version I won't be able to play it abroad...

Yes buy it in the US. In EU you're going to pay at least 93.86 US Dollars, 70 euros.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...9lInM34vKvNz4Og
Advertisement
Instructor
#15202 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
Omg is that a joke? I'm about to go study abroad in Denmark, so I'm gonna have to buy the game there, and I am nooooot paying $96! The game is barely worth $12. Should I buy it on Origin in America? I don't really get how that works lol...I'm scared that if I buy the American version I won't be able to play it abroad...

Purchasing the Digital Deluxe version of TS4 in Denmark would cost you 599DKK ~ $107
Forum Resident
#15203 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Knowing EA, this will be badly done in an EP. Will you be sharing?

ETA: Anyone with the demo, have you noticed that if you create a sim and afterwards make them gain weight, the face doesn't change, get rounder? Odd.

Yep, after Sims 2 Night Life when cars were added your teens could own cars. I always have a parent or with a teen, work on the fixer upper and give it to their teen. Then have the teen drive the younger siblings to school. Trying to find a mod to stop the school bus because they still come. Don't know if there is such a mod.

There are two Mods that I know of that has canceling the carpool and/or school bus capabilities.

(Carpool Disabler by Buzzer) http://www.modthesims.info/d/410296
(Moar Interactions by Buzzler) http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=437344
Sockpuppet
#15204 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:24 PM
Mad Poster
#15205 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:25 PM
Ooo, thank you @Deshong! Lots of *HUGS*. :lovestruc

Ow, after looking at the links, that's for Sims 3 and I got those. Thank you though.

EDIT:
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
As you say though, when the game is released, hopefully someone will attempt to combine things/change stuff around and see if having multi-functional community lots can work. It would be great if it did - that way, you'd have more than one kind of activity on one lot, so therefore more stuff to do - and you'd also cut down on those damn loading screens too; I personally don't want to go through another screen just to leave the comedy club and go to the gym next door

I know, right? This is what I usually do when I get a game or new EP, see how the lots are situated and what can or cannot be done. Can combinations work, will the benefits still be there, what will make game play more efficient or not? Sometimes I get a bit curious just for those points and may find that time fun but I think about Sims 3 and how that would be the extent to my interest. I will go back to a previous world I was playing and not add anything from the new EP. Cough *SHT* cough.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#15206 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:28 PM
Weird, on Polish Origin the cheaper edition of TS4 costs 179PLN, which is ~$57, whereas the more expensive sells for ~$64, so way to go!
Instructor
#15207 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:29 PM
@OrokanaruOtouto: What a lovely and spot on personification of EA you have up there.
Sockpuppet
#15208 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by litlegothcat13
@OrokanaruOtouto: What a lovely and spot on personification of EA you have up there.

omg
Lab Assistant
#15209 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimo815
Yes buy it in the US. In EU you're going to pay at least 93.86 US Dollars, 70 euros.

The Danish price for the standard version is 399 dk which is around 71 US Dollars.
I'm a Little surprised by this because 399 is what they used to charge for the TS3 expansions when they just came out.

I can't remember what I paid for TS3 but I know that I paid more than 399, and that was 5 years ago!

To us here in Denmark 399 is actually quite cheap, but if you're from any other part of the world it's probably expensive.
Scholar
#15210 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OrokanaruOtouto

...how did you get her to that size?! As a self-confessed creator of the strangest Sims I can think of, I must knoooow!!

...Titanium white...
Forum Resident
#15211 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lumialover8
Played around with S4PE/Colour Magic and figured out how to do body hair as a tattoo overlay. Textures are TMZ's body hair but they look kinda muddy and not as crisp as TS3. Might be because of my terrible editing haha. Here's a pic demonstrating it on 3 different body types.

SENDING YOU ALL OF MY LOVE RIGHT NOW!

Seriously, I cannot wait until you share this! It's exactly what my men need! :lovestruc

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Field Researcher
#15212 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jendra9311
I asked my boyfriend about this once... He reckons EA/Maxis will have copyrighted so many of the features of the game it would be impossible to make a life simulation game without invoking a law suit. Even if they haven't/can't copyright the entire genre, they could hog all the core features to themselves.

I don't know how much truth there is in that but it seems plausible - given the success of the Sims series, it is VERY strange that no one else has tried to move in on the market...

...yet. *evil laugh*

Edit: I just remembered - the game I've found that most resembles Sims (in a limited fashion) is virtual families by big fish games. Limited, but somewhat resembles Sims.

The thing about that is that even if a developer were to make The Sims, they'd have to heavily invest in and allocate the resources for a game that'd compete with the first and only game of its kind. I think it's generally underestimated just how much of the sales of The Sims come from the name. How many people are buying TS4 not because of the new features, but because it's The Sims 4, and the features are just happy extras. Other games just can't compete, not just because of scale and detail, but because anything that isn't called "The Sims" is just a knockoff version of the real thing. Branding it powerful like that.

There are a lot of things EA probably has locked down, definitely the engine and probably things as simple as the interaction UI. People would buy the game only to realize that a lot of the things they're used to the way they're used to that are changed/moved/gone/have other things in their place. Big developers aren't willing to take the risk of creating a comparable game (that is, in all fairness, 3 generations in with established gameplay ((though they are cutting a lot of the gameplay in the 4th generation))) and indie studios don't have the resources to make a game anywhere near the scale of TS. The only way I see for another company to develop a game like it is to buy the rights to it, and even then I'd hope it was a reliable developer that has the capacity to respect The Sims like the cash cow it already is without having to squeeze every possible penny out of it.
Lab Assistant
#15213 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
There are two Mods that I know of that has canceling the carpool and/or school bus capabilities.

(Carpool Disabler by Buzzer) http://www.modthesims.info/d/410296
(Moar Interactions by Buzzler) http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=437344

Those mods are for Sims 3. The OP was looking for Sims 2.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Mad Poster
#15214 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji

...how did you get her to that size?! As a self-confessed creator of the strangest Sims I can think of, I must knoooow!!

That's what I want to know. I still don't have the demo, but don't they have limits?!

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Lab Assistant
#15215 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:22 PM
I wonder if they are really going to release the demo on Tuesday. I hope so because it is the one thing that is going to push me to either cancel my pre order or keep it. If I can't get a hang of this new CAS then I'm out and not even going to give it a try. I bet that is why they haven't released it to everyone yet, they know it is going to make lots of people jump ship

Sims for for life! My opinion doesn't really matter but I like to share it anyways. :)
simblr
Forum Resident
#15216 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:23 PM
Played around with S4PE/Colour Magic and figured out how to do body hair as a tattoo overlay. Textures are TMZ's body hair but they look kinda muddy and not as crisp as TS3. Might be because of my terrible editing haha. Here's a pic demonstrating it on 3 different body types.

Wow, good job!

Quote: Originally posted by samsam594
I wonder if they are really going to release the demo on Tuesday. I hope so because it is the one thing that is going to push me to either cancel my pre order or keep it. If I can't get a hang of this new CAS then I'm out and not even going to give it a try. I bet that is why they haven't released it to everyone yet, they know it is going to make lots of people jump ship

To be honest, the CAS demo made me even less excited for the game. I've spent too many times watching other people playing it and thinking to myself that it didn't look that special - certainly not to carry the whole marketing as it did. So while some things are nice (style is pretty much improved, organization is good and the hat/hair combination is great), others are much worse than I thought before getting my hands on it.

The hair textures are trully horrible, which is funny because some of them have far better textures than others, it's really inconsistent (only thing consistent is that blond always look terrible). It makes changing hair styles harder than it should be, because some of the bad textured hairs look even worse depending on the color, which, on the other hand, can be the best color for another hair. I wonder what the hell went on with that, but trying to understand the atrocious decisions regarding this game is probably a waste of time. Not even "they suck" can explain those, so I decided to moved on.

Speaking of colors, why are they so ashy for body parts and so bright for outfits? Hair and skintone look terrible - the lighter or blonder the hair, the worse it looks. For outfits, on the other hand, yellow or green make the clothing look like they have no texture at all, like they were painted on Microsoft Paint. Weird.

Also, the lack of a color wheel is really hurting the game - you can't experiment too much with outfits because some of them won't match no matter how many recolors they put there. It's almost like you have to match them exactly as imagined by developers. Not even shades of black are the same. I couldn't even use a pair of black formal pants because their black was different from the black on the top, it was lighter I think. Only option was to use the one "meant" to go with it.

It really, really sucks because the options given are very limited, and sometimes, all you need is to adjust the color just a little bit to get that look you imagined. I don't know if I am picky or what, but sometimes, I have a tone in my head that bugs me forever if it can't be matched. So if outfits are not matching, I can only imagine how hard it will be to decorate a house having to realy on such options.

Moving on, I thought molding was very hard to do as well - the opposite of tactile, actually. Is it supposed to be that "heavy"? I've seen people molding it with such ease, but for me, it felt like I had to really move the mouse with strenght in order for it to change anything. Some changes I couldn't even see at all, so I ended up using the presets. I suck at creating sims anyway. Making males was more or less easy, but for some reason, all my females look like adults instead of young adults, especially with hair up. Someting was very off with them, even the randomized ones.

And finally, lemme just say that: (i) male earrings shouldn't automatically go on both ears; (ii) looks like females don't need watches (maybe that's why they are always late?); (iii) I couldn't tell what difference eyeliner was making unless I set them to white or something; (iv) why only certain eyes have eyelashes lol? (v) did anyone actually remember to change feet size? I wouldn't even know it was a possibility if it wasn't promoted with such excitement. (iv) the hability to pick on wich side bracelets/rings go would be nice, but I guess that's just asking too much.
Field Researcher
#15217 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:32 PM
Do we STILL not know anything about the genetics used in TS4? Mendellian as in TS2? 50/50 as in TS3? Really wanna know... :/

Check out The Moore Legacy, a Sims4 legacy blog.
Also - Stranded on Sixam Challenge... Can your sim live long-term on an alien planet?
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#15218 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
The hair textures are trully horrible, which is funny because some of them have far better textures than others, it's really inconsistent (only thing consistent is that blond always look terrible). It makes changing hair styles harder than it should be, because some of the bad textured hairs look even worse depending on the color, which, on the other hand, can be the best color for another hair. I wonder what the hell went on with that, but trying to understand the atrocious decisions regarding this game is probably a waste of time. Not even "they suck" can explain those, so I decided to moved on.

HP has taken a look inside the hair files, and you are right, the files themselves apparently are a strange, incoherent mess.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15219 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:36 PM
I'm already noticing a lot of sameface happening with sims - I see a lot of TS4 sims made with the demo in scrolling through my Tumblr dash, and unless they're wildly weird looking, they all just look pretty much the same. I've seen a couple sort of vaguely-reminiscent-of-the-person celeb-sims, but none I'd really class as anything like a great likeness. Mostly it's like, "Oh, yeah, I guess I can sort of see it. Could be his brother. If you squint. A lot."

I cannot tell you how little I am looking forward to moderating the TS4 "other" sims section here, cos honestly, unless they're a freakish monster Imma just go "Yep, that sure is a TS4 sim, you betcha," and run out of the thread the other way.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#15220 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bloodstained_black_lace
Those mods are for Sims 3. The OP was looking for Sims 2.

Maybe mine will suit them.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#15221 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:48 PM
Agreed with your color statements rodrigues. Some same colors look drastically different on different hairs. Some hair textures are better than others. The lighter and darker tones look sickly, ashy, zombielike. Very unnatural for the average, healthy human.

One thing that really gets me: why don't we have a full layering system? It was a main selling point in The Sims 2 console version, and no transfer to PC. They have one for accessories, but what about tops?

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Mad Poster
#15222 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I'm already noticing a lot of sameface happening with sims - I see a lot of TS4 sims made with the demo in scrolling through my Tumblr dash, and unless they're wildly weird looking, they all just look pretty much the same. I've seen a couple sort of vaguely-reminiscent-of-the-person celeb-sims, but none I'd really class as anything like a great likeness. Mostly it's like, "Oh, yeah, I guess I can sort of see it. Could be his brother. If you squint. A lot."

I cannot tell you how little I am looking forward to moderating the TS4 "other" sims section here, cos honestly, unless they're a freakish monster Imma just go "Yep, that sure is a TS4 sim, you betcha," and run out of the thread the other way.

I am seeing the sameface in my creations and noticed that being safe while creating, for example keeping the facial features realistic will end up with the same looking sims syndrome. If I exaggerate the eyes, nose, or cheeks and such helps a little but when every sim is sharing the same set of hairs then it will become synonymous in features.

OT, while creating sims last night, I realized that my ex's face came up. If anyone downloads this sim, please make him suffer and kill him with fire. Take pictures, plenty of pictures for me. Otherwise I need to get my kicks when I decide to get the game. His name is Billy Brown, pseudonym for sure.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Maybe mine will suit them.

You are so right and I could kick myself for not thinking about the Simlogical Sims 2 site. That was my hangout back in the day.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#15223 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

That's interesting, I've noticed that too, but I thought it was because people don't verge far from default faces. Like they'd choose a nice default face, pull and push here and there, and done.
But if it's because the range limits of face sculpts... I'll be really disappointed, I've been hoping for this CAS to be the best one. :/

And lol, maybe the TS4 Sim Creator Guidelines will be just "Has a face".
Theorist
#15224 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 8:13 PM

Is it one tattoo? Just curious because this leads me to believe we could do some custom sleeves without making them in pieces using accessories like in TS3. (before tattoos were added.)

yay!
Mad Poster
#15225 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 8:20 PM Last edited by lewisb40 : 10th Aug 2014 at 8:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
That's interesting, I've noticed that too, but I thought it was because people don't verge far from default faces. Like they'd choose a nice default face, pull and push here and there, and done.
But if it's because the range limits of face sculpts... I'll be really disappointed, I've been hoping for this CAS to be the best one. :/

And lol, maybe the TS4 Sim Creator Guidelines will be just "Has a face".

What I did find last night from my session, I can choose a preset face, go through every feature preset and get new looks by tweaking them. I didn't realize until then there was dimples in the preset for cheeks. (I'll be back with pics)

ETA:The skin doesn't show it off well, should have used a different one, but I am still learning how to pull/push things into shape. Maybe this cheek preset could be modded for the dimple to be pronounce.

Locked thread
Page 609 of 920