Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 10:16 PM
I took the EA version as having not known about birth control when she first got married and as a result she had gotten pregnant with her first child long before they were prepared and also both were bad at managing money and tended to spend it too fast without saving anything up so they were stuck in what was meant to be just rtheir starter home raising a family and the home was too small and the pool they'd had installed was installed incorrectly by a bad contractor resulting in her husband's death.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The use of toddler skills:

All toddler skills: Fill wants, improve aspiration, and improve the relationship with the teacher, all at once.

Potty training: Diaper changing is a nasty chore, for player and for sim. If you pay attention and grab the kid for potty training at reasonable times (when the bar is less than half green, but not yet to orange), you can have it done in two days, and never have to change diapers once they grow to toddler. Once potty trained, toddlers will take themselves to the potty in good time unless they get stuck in with a toy) and they don't care if it's been emptied or not. Empty it after each potty training session till the skill's learned, and then never again till the kid grows up! I always, always potty train toddlers.

Learn to Walk: In a vanilla game, toddlers who can walk can also let themselves out of the crib!!!!!!! This saves so much hassle you won't believe it. I installed a mod that allows crib escape without learning to walk and I also added toddler beds so they could put themselves to bed as well as get up on their own, so I don't prioritize learning to walk unless there's an in-game reason to do it - parental want (I lock parental wants to teach skills), low aspiration toddler, character interpretation leading me to think that one parent or the other would value the motor skills proficiency allowed by walking. Valentine Hart, as a professional athlete, usually teaches toddlers in his house to walk so he can bond with them. The animation is cute and walking is faster than crawling. If teacher and toddler are both in a good place in motives and free time, it takes less than a day even without smart milk.

Learn to Talk: Adds talking socials to the toddler's repertoire, cute animation, best relationship boosts of the toddler skills except Nursery Rhyme. I don't prioritize it except as for walking. A Popularity sim or a professional writer is more likely in my games to teach talking because of the value placed on verbal skills. In some games I require talking before I allow nursery rhyme teaching, which:

Learn Nursery Rhyme: The only skill a child can teach a toddler and one of very few ways children in a vanilla game can interact with toddlers at all, which is so wrong I could scream. Once there's more than one child in the family I always restrict nursery rhyme teaching to older offspring. The animations are cute as heck and once it's learned, the toddler will not only roll wants to sing the nursery rhyme with someone, providing a quick fun-social-and-relationship building aspiration boost, but will sometimes amuse themself sitting on the floor singing to themself, which is just SQUEEEEE!

In a vanilla game, learning or not learning any of these skills has no affect on a sim's later life. If a family is in any sort of bind I only do potty training. The Newson twins never get anything but potty trained unless I've moved the family in with adult or elder sims who can take the load of meeting basic needs, teaching to study, etc. I don't use smart milk very often and it's only really useful in households that don't really need it - households in which the caregivers are in gold and platinum aspiration at the right times to use smart milk are generally in a position to teach all three skills during the first two days. In a game configuration with an age mod, toddlers will only roll wants for the skills for four days, but it pays to teach them all during those four days if the mod has extended toddlerhood significantly, even if the house is a little marginal, because once they've learned all four, toddlers are remarkably self-sufficient and can be safely free-ranged if you check in on their motives periodically.

Oh, I didn't know these would happen. I thought it was just a memory thing, does the thing about all toddler skills being filled apply when they don't know Nursery Rhymes, or do they also need it? Also what kind of teacher relationship are you talking about, the headmaster coming over or the university professors?
Meet Me In My Next Life
#28 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 11:39 PM
Brandi in my game "Deserve" to have a better life she was left alone as a widow with children to raise.
First thing I did was build her a better home.
Second thing I did was clean up her older son Dusty acts, better school grades and a good part time job.
Third thing I did was let Brandi work herself up into the Culinary Career, she seemed to like cooking.

Brandi have work hard while raising her children she met a wonderful military man that love her and her children, they are finally now married and have a child together. The whole family is living well. and happy, money is no longer a problem.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Test Subject
#29 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NimaSims
Seems sweet what happened to Brandi taking care of them. I had thought Brandi can be a good mother when raising her children like this, but well- no gameplay is alike. I kinda wished she could be a better mother in my game and getting to work at a salon I made.
And they didn't get taken by social service when Brandi died?

Apparently teen sims can care for kids?? Or maybe it's one of my many mods, I'm not sure yet.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 3:15 AM
I mean the person teaching the skills. It's not always the best way to improve relationships between toddlers and older sims in the house, but it's a good solid way that you don't have to work too hard on. The "play with" interaction is also good and can happen with visitors.

Teens taking care of children, babies, and toddlers is vanilla, IgglyBuff. They're often better at it than the parents! It's a lifesaver for Brandi in a lot of people's games, because Dustin generally plays as an excellent big brother. It's what makes the Newsons playable at all. The game often insists that a teen be the one to grow up a baby, and some teens glom onto a younger sibling and give them special treatment, autonomously playing with, feeding, and talking to them. It's really sweet. Alas, toddler want trees only seem to allow them to roll wants for the parents, but they have also been known to follow teen siblings around and demand attention from them (and from visitors; visitors can also be a godsend for a stressed parent).

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Page 2 of 2