Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 3:46 AM Last edited by carenrose : 18th Nov 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Default Posebox ... fixed problems (yay!) but now have a few questions
Alright, so I tried to do this and I think I failed miserably, because I really can't figure out what's wrong!

I'm trying to make this pose box (well, this one is just a practice one) ...

When I tested it in the game, my piemenu option did show up, I selected it, the little icon appeared in the top left ... but then just disappeared without the sim doing anything.

I was trying to follow two different tutorials to make this, so I have the feeling I left something out somewhere ... I just seem to be at a total loss as to WHERE! :D

Ummmmm ...

Sorry, I don't know if there's anything else I need to tell you ... long day at work

Edit: where's my attachment?? Is it showing up for you guys?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  CarenRose-PoseBox-09-09-09.zip (2.6 KB, 205 downloads) - View custom content

Check out Picking Up the Pieces
(Chapter 4 PART TWO posted 9/16/12)
~~~~
Quote:
"Jean-Luc, we're only moving six hundred people." ~Admiral Dougherty
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take, Admiral!?" ~Picard
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 2:11 AM
Yes, I see the attachment.
The problem is that both the Function-Init and the Interaction-Do Stuff have the same instance 0x1000: each BHAV must have a different instance (in the 1000-17FF range), or the game will confuse them. In your case, when you select the pie menu, the Init BHAV is executed, instead of the real interaction. Assign a different number to the interaction, and don't forget to update the TTAB with the new reference.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#3 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 12:10 PM
If this helps any, you can visit my tutorial specifically for creating Pose Boxes in my signature. As Numenor suggested you improve upon, it covers BHAVs, as well as Pie Strings, Pie Menu Function, Anim Lists, creating an Animation Package, and exporting from Milkshape.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 8:26 PM
Ok, did that ... :D

Haven't had any chance to open my game yet, but someone else wanted to test it for me in the meantime ... she said
Quote:
I tested the pose box, but for some reason it gave me error warnings, without anything else happening, when I chose the pose.

http://www.box.net/shared/xvanitutlu

If I get a chance to test it myself before I get a reply, I'll update my post with the info I find out.

Edit: hey, didn't see your message. I'm checking out the tutorial right now :D

~~~~
Quote:
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take, Admiral!?" ~Picard
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 12:17 AM
Okkkkkkk .. I followed the tutorial ... I had a few problems getting it to show up in-game but somehow fixed that one ...

I had someone else test this version, and I also tested it, we got the same results. Here's what I wrote down when I tested it:
Quote:
She put down the toddler to do the queued action
Action disappeared as soon as it came up to beginning
All ages, same thing
No error messages with testingcheats on

So, basically, what happened: box appears in catalog in correct place, can be placed. Pie menus come up fine. Action is queued and the sim stops whatever they are doing to do the queued action. However, they never go into the pose, the action just disappears from the queue.

http://www.box.net/shared/rnyd62j0xs

I included the anim files in the box itself because I was stupid and put them all in separate files without thinking ... so I stuck them all into the box file

Edit: this seems to be the exact same problem I was having with the first post ... but this is a different box, and yes, I made 10000% sure that they had different instance numbers!! And I double-triple-checked before asking here that everything was linked right (text lists, pie menu strings, pie menu functions, bhav's, everything looks fine!) Grrr

~~~~
Quote:
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by carenrose
[...]

So, basically, what happened: box appears in catalog in correct place, can be placed. Pie menus come up fine. Action is queued and the sim stops whatever they are doing to do the queued action. However, they never go into the pose, the action just disappears from the queue.

http://www.box.net/shared/rnyd62j0xs

I included the anim files in the box itself because I was stupid and put them all in separate files without thinking ... so I stuck them all into the box file

Edit: this seems to be the exact same problem I was having with the first post ... but this is a different box, and yes, I made 10000% sure that they had different instance numbers!! And I double-triple-checked before asking here that everything was linked right (text lists, pie menu strings, pie menu functions, bhav's, everything looks fine!) Grrr

In my tests I never putted the anim files in the same package of the "box". Why? I don't know, but it never worked.
Try to create a new package, add the anim files and test in game.

There's no secrets. Create a new file, add the anim. It'll be unrecognized. Go to Resource tab and select "animation file", commit and well done, the anim file is ok. Be sure to fix integrity and put the exactly name on the Text List of the box.

edit: if you want. Download my "cup-posebox" and see what I've do on my anim file.
I don't use the same bhav (which have start and stop) but it's the same thing at all.

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 12:49 AM
Ok. Followed a different tutorial and got it to work just fine :D

I now have just 2 questions.

The other tutorial I used didn't have the start and stop BHAVs, but instead had it come up as an action in the queue and end when the animation finished. Unfortunately, it's not a cancellable action, it has to play all the way to the end. Is there a way to make it cancellable (by X-ing out the action in the queue)?

And second, if I just cloned Paul's Reaction Tester, shouldn't it be base game compatible?

Edit: the tutorial was by sim_man123 at TSR.

~~~~
Quote:
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 5:44 AM
To make an interaction cancellable, you have to put checks in the BHAV. More specifically, you need to have a "Wait for notify" command in the BHAV, and if it returns true, you should direct the sim to exit the interaction. Unfortunately, that only works if you're stringing together several animations in one BHAV. If it's one big long animation, there's not really much you can do.

Cloning a base game object doesn't necessarily mean that you clone is base game compatible. EPs can add behaviour or change the structure of base game objects simply by being installed. The safest way to make sure your object is base game compatible is to go into SimPE's preferences and disable all the EPs *before* you start Object Workshop. That way, SimPE will only get resources which are available in the base game.
Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 10:53 AM
Not sure if you are still watching this thread carenrose, here's hoping you are...

I was wondering though when you were making the posebox animations did you use milkshape?

I am having the same problem as you were, where the pose box shows up fine, the actions both start and stop show up fine, but after the pose is queued it never happens. I am pretty sure the bhav's are all unique, I had wondered if it was something to do with the way I had composed my animations, which is why I was interested to find out if you used Milkshape.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 7:10 AM
Yes, I used Milkshape. It turned out to be a problem with somewhere with the BHAV's. Since I had already tried so many times going off one tutorial (I know I was doing something wrong but couldn't find *where*) I switched to going off a different tutorial. I used the one by sim_man123 at TSR. It's a PDF in a zip, so you have to login to download though. It's free, just requires login.

~~~~
Quote:
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 10:02 PM
Great minds think alike, I found and am now using that same tutorial. I have managed since I last got in touch with you to make two successful poseboxes. Thank you for getting back in touch with me and for pointing me in that same direction. It's nice to know I am finally doing something right.