Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fourth-Wall Options

by maybesomethingdunno Posted 18th Jan 2008 at 3:46 AM - Updated 13th Jan 2012 at 2:29 AM by maybesomethingdunno : added keywords (Thanks, Cat! :) )

84 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 72 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 1:02 AM
thanks! whenever my sims looked at me i would rotate the camera and they would follow it until i did it enough that they couldn't break their sim necks to creep me out! It's so creepy when your just playing along and then BAM you got sims staring at you!
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 3:29 AM
I love it when my Sims look at me. Unless I want them to be doing something. it's like looking toward the sky and waving at God. And I am their God. I even have churches int eh game for them to worship me. This interaction will make me feel even more powerful. Mwah-ha-ha!!!
Instructor
#28 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 5:06 AM
I also really like it when sims look at me. Tis cute! And being able to tell them to look at me is really useful for taking pictures!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#29 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 7:47 AM
Very cool!
Theorist
#30 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 12:33 AM
awesome!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 7:35 PM
Thank you so much for this, both will be very useful; I also love it when sims look at me in normal game-play, but when trying to set up a scene I'd be left shouting either "Stop looking at me!" or "Come on, look this way!" at the screen. At least now they'll listen

Just out of interest, have you noticed/tried working on the instance when you tell a sim to make a phone call? The amount of times they'll look up at me while they're dialing the numbers I'm starting to lose count, but this one I don't mind Also, I don't suppose you could find a way to kill the idle animations could you please? (Maybe include that on command?) Again, cute - and even useful if it's a visitor/townie - in normal play, but when trying to take story pictures it can really mess things up - I'm surprised I haven't gone bald by now

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 1:05 AM
Sadie79:
On which phone? Wall-based, surface-based, cell phone, or all phones? My Sims just look at the phone while they dial.

Which idle animations in particular? I think there may already be a mod to prevent the idle animations; I am not sure. I know there was a mod for no idle animations in CAS and I believe I saw a mod for idle animations on command.

If I were you, I would use InSim to make visitor/townie Sims selectable and make them pose the way I want (even if it is a neutral pose that just keeps them from doing something else).

I cannot make any promises as I am somewhat busy (and have other projects that I am trying to find more time to work on); however, if I get the chance, I will try to look around the code and see what I can find.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Field Researcher
#33 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 11:54 AM
I think it's just cell phones, a lot of my sims have them and they nearly always look up at me when they dial.

I know there was a CAS (I think) one by Squinge, but I can't find it in the graveyard. I mean the ones where, if you leave them alone long enough, they start doing things like - a playful sim will put up their fists and punch the air, nice sims sway and sigh dreamily, active sims rock on their heels or march on the spot. Kinda ruins things when you want everyone to be serious, and then one of them drifts away with the fairies (I have a lot of nice sims) I do take care of the townies/visitors that way already, it's the playables that mess about!

Thanks for your reply

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
Instructor
#34 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 10:43 AM
Just an addition to one of your notes. " I neither know where the --- comes from"

When you are analysing the objects package and don't know where a BHAV comes from:
Choose "resources" in SimPe, right click on the group number and copy it.
Open the tool Filter and paste the group number in it - filter it.
You will have only the bhavs referring to the group you are analysing available on screen.
If deals on an object - choose "Object Data" or "Catalog Name" and you will know EXACTLY what it deals on.

If you knew that already, maybe it can help another modder.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 1:05 AM
Good info.
Thanks, xptl297.

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 4:07 AM
I tried this out in my game and it worked really well. I only tried it for photography though, not during regular gameplay but it's why I wanted it in my game anyway. It's a great idea and the hack name is so suitable.

Along the lines of the don't look at me bit, I was wondering if it was possible to not make the sims look at each other when they pass by. It's so annoying when I'm making movies and they do that. Anyway, I know you're busy and it's not a request- I just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks for the hack.

For movies, fashions, recolors and hack, visit http://decorgal.com
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 4:52 PM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 5th Feb 2008 at 9:44 PM.
Thanks, decorgal21572.

I seem to have misread your post. I thought you were asking if it was possible to make Sims look at each other instead of preventing it. I am leaving my original response in place, because it has information that some might be interested in.

I imagine it would be possible and would require an override of the whatever bhav manages the Sim-to-Sim glance. There are two emitter triggers that make a Sim look at a Sim when (s)he enters or leaves a room. There is probably a bhav that manages a random glance between Sims who have been standing in the same room for a while or getting up from a chair. It is something I do not have much time to do, but I encourage others to look into.

-------------------------------------------------
Original response:
From what I can see (in-game and in the code), it is certainly possible to make Sims look at each other or at objects.

There seems to be two Emitter triggers of interest: one for when a Sim enters a room and one for when a Sim leaves the room. I have not studied them and documentation on emitters is sadly limited. In theory, the use of an emitter trigger directly may not be best unless you want all Sims to look at a particular Sim. Perhaps a better way would be to make a Sim-to-Sim Interaction that makes one Sim look at another on command?

I do not claim to have mastered bhavs, and such a mod may be beyond my current modding capabilities without a lot of "hand-holding" from more knowledgeable modders. I greatly encourage others to explore the uses of the "Look At" bhav, because it would be a great for improving the way the Sims interact or respond to their environment and/or with the player.

For still pictures, it is easy to fake a Sim looking at another Sim and even easier if one remembers that it is possible to save multiple camera angles and positions. Set the up scene, place the camera where one wants the Sim to look, tell the Sim to look at the camera, pause the game, and place the camera where it should be for the picture.

For movies, I admit that this is where the aforementioned (not-yet-made) mod would be handy to have since the Sim follows the camera movement.

And, yes, I am busy...both with personal projects and "real life". I wish I could make it since there is apparently such demand for it, but I do not have much time or experience. So, by all means, if someone wants to make such a mod, go ahead.

Tumblr
Forum Resident
#38 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 5:41 PM
thank you

What about the thousands of wonderful men and women who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot?
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 9:58 PM
This sounds amazing! Thanks so much!! :D

You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing!
Test Subject
#40 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 8:09 PM
This is going to be really useful for taking pictures, its so annoying when they won't look at me! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 5th Mar 2008 at 9:39 PM
Thanks for it. I really like my Sims to look at me because it feels like I was there in their world.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 10:47 PM
i have been looking ALL OVER for something like this. i'm sure every picture taker could use this hack, but the title (although cute) makes it nearly impossible to find via google search. i was only able to locate it through a WCIF thread on another site. that aside, this is great. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 12:14 AM
It is nice to help people and fill any voids in their lives. To this day, I am amazed at the positive reaction to this simple mod. I thank everyone for their gratitude and kindness.

Mocha0030, I am sorry you had so much trouble finding it. (What would any of us do without WCIF forums?) However, I felt the name was the most efficient means of being both descriptive and concise. Cuteness was just an unforeseen byproduct.

Tumblr
Field Researcher
#44 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 11:27 AM
another question... is "Look at me now" an overlay mod? meaning can it be used in conjunction with another animation or does it stand alone? if not is it possible to make this an overlay?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 2:03 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 24th Mar 2008 at 2:12 AM.
Mocha0030, I am afraid that I honestly do not know. I want to say "yes" that the code (not necessarily this mod) can be used as an overlay. I have not tested the mod in regards to overlays. As far as I know, it possibly could be turned into an overlay if it cannot already be one as-is, but I have not tried it to say for certain. I would not know how to go about turning it into an overlay and I currently have other projects on hold because of issues not related to the Sims (such as limited time).

When Sims randomly look at the camera, it is an idle action (i.e. there is nothing in their queue when it happens). I simply turned the bhav that handled this into a self-interaction that, if I remember correctly, does appear in their queue. The "Look At" bhav does not have any inner bhavs that I could remember seeing that controlled the Sim head's movement; one only sets the parameters to tell the Sim where to look and the Sim somehow is told to move its head. In this case, the Sim is simply told to look at the camera. In the case of a Sim trying to get your attention, I think the Sim is told to look at the camera and to perform the "arm waving" animation which is what makes me think that it is possible for the code (not necessarily this mod) to be used as an overlay. If that make sense...

You are certainly welcome to experiment with this and improve upon this mod. As I said in my post, I am not an expert in bhavs. Technically speaking, virtually anything is possible (just not always fast and simple, though). There are people who could do greater things with this code than I have and I encourage them to do so.

I hope I helped and I apologize if I wasn't much help.

Tumblr
Mad Poster
#46 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 7:33 AM
Test Subject
#47 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 1:30 AM
omg my gosh, i hate it when my sims look at me! It really creeps me out, espescially at night and they start looking at me. It's like there is something behind me that only sims can see. I will certainly give this a try!
Forum Resident
#48 Old 11th Jun 2008 at 12:33 AM
As a photo-taker myself, this is beyond helpful. Thank you so much for this ingenious mod! I can't wait to test it out tonight. <3
Test Subject
#49 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 10:05 AM
I have this one sim, And whenever i zoom past him with the camera he will look, So i will stop and look, It really creeps me out - In a good way. But whenever I want to show anyone HE JUST WONT DO IT! So I'm really happy you came up with the hack! Thanks!

(P.S could you try Exorcist style? Please? >:D)
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 3:43 AM
Sorry, ramikin, I do not know if that is possible except via glitches or video editing.

Tumblr
Page 2 of 4