Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 11:12 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 11th Jan 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Default Cloning Fences
Hi!

Another problem...

I'm trying to make 'natural' colour options for the Pets Great Divide fence - the one that separates an area for noise and privacy but allows sims to walk over it.

I'm cloning the black version in SimPE, giving it a new GUID and a new texture. However, in-game, either nothing appears in the catalogue, or the clone base is overridden. What am I doing wrong? I've been trawling sites all day trying to figure this out.

Attached one of my failing packages and a screenshot of SimPE which might be enlightening to someone.

Thanks for your help.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Great Divide Trial Referencing mesh.rar (4.6 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 2:45 PM
The reason the fence is overriding the original is because the internal file name is the same. When first cloning you need to enter a unique name in the scenegraph as with any other object. It should then show up fine.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 11:46 PM
There's no scenegraph window opening when I clone it. I did wonder if that was fence-specific or if something was broken. Can I change the scenegraph names after the fact?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 12:04 AM
That is odd, I cloned the black one and the scenegraph came up. But yes you can do a fix integrity to change the name. It seems with fences that it doesn't change the name though, but only adds what you put in the box before the existing name. Odd, but it works.

Are you sure you have SimPE in advanced mode? I can't remember if you can see fences if not.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 12:11 AM
Yes, I'm using advanced mode. Took me a while to find out why no fences were visible in SimPE, though.

I thought I had seen the name window come up sometime in my attempts, but I didn't change it because I had just caused errors earlier by trying to change a name somewhere in the file. Obviously I had the right idea, but the wrong spot as usual.

After seeing your first post and remembering that window, I just tried the Fix Integrity and it works! The fence appears in-game as a copy of the original, with star.

Custom thumbnail is incorrect becasue I didn't alter the texture on this try, but that should be easily fixed by regenerating the thuymbnails.

Okay, thanks for that, HL. I think I can get on with it now!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 11:30 AM
Well, they don't override the originals any more. That's good!

But they don't show the correct price.

The originals are $5. I altered mine in the cloning window to be $2, but in-game they show as free. While free stuff is good, SimPE obviously isn't doing what I expected, so I'd like to know what I've got wrong now.

This is not a new issue; the package attached above should be fine for this too. I just didn't worry about the pricing until I got rid of the override problem.

Thanks for reading!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 3:03 PM
The txt lists and the xml control the catalog name, description and price. I am not sure which does which though, I am guessing the txt list is catalog view. Your txt list only has the name, the second and third line for description and price are missing.

So, when you lay down the fencing does it cost? Or is it simply the catalog says no price?

Do you have the defaults set for the cloning window? If you untick the first box I don't think the scenegraph wizard comes up.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 9:15 AM
I can check the default settings for the scenegraph window issue, that could feasibly have been changed at some point.

The fence is listed as free in the catalogue, and nothing is charged when laying it.

I'll have another look at the text list.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 9:54 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 3rd Jan 2010 at 10:26 AM.
I looked at an untouched clone and one of mine - neither has any price string in the text lists. I've altered one and will check to see what happens there in-game.

Update - adding a string to the text list didn't make any difference. I made a new clone (resetting defaults did bring back the scenegraph window - yay!), as before, no price in the text list. Any more ideas?

I'll post a more recent package that is not over-writing the original.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Great Divide StoneZiggu 4.rar (5.0 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Description: No price, no cost but otherwise working.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#10 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 4:03 PM
Ok, so apparently the TextList is what controls the actual price. You had a $2 and I changed it to 2, price showed up fine in catalog and it cost §2. The dollar sign confused the game since it looks like it's looking for a simple decimal value.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 3:05 AM
Ah. That would make sense - I had no idea whether the $ sign would be needed, and completely forgot to try the other way once it failed again. Now I hope I can finish them at last!

Thanks - again.