Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[OUTDATED] BaseGameStarter Pro v.1.5b (Archived)

by Numenor Posted 27th Nov 2005 at 9:05 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:23 PM by Nysha

Closed Thread Locked by: Reason:
563 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 562 Feedback Posts
Page 4 of 23
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:36 AM
Corvi - I'm sorry, but the Greek Windows probably uses a different code for the batch files.

To any user with Windows in a language that requires non-latin alphabet (Greek, oriental languages, Russian, Hebrew, etc...): the BaseGameStarter might not work for you. Please Report here any malfunctions.

JadeElliot - The filename "StartOnlyFFSErr" is just a typo in the errorlog name, it doesn't mean that the game is looking for FFS nor that FFS is required.
The problem might be that "C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~4\": the standard installation for OFB is "C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\THCF29~1\".

Try this: open an explorer window (any window) and type in the Address field:
C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~4\
If the addres is correct, the window should display the installation folder for OFB, and the Address field should automatically change to
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Open for Business

But if the address doesn't exist (which I suspect) then you'll get an error from Windows, because it can't find the folder.

The BaseGameStarter reads the installation folder for OFB from the Registry, and specifically from the key "Install Dir" located in:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Business]

If your registry contains a reference to a folder that doesn't exist, I can't know why it happened (did you moved or renamed manually the game installation folders?)
In this case, I suggest to change that key from
C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~4\
to:
C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\The Sims 2 Open for Business\

You can do it by yourself, or download the attached zip, unpack it and double click on the included .reg file; and then run the installer again, selecting "Repair your full game".
This should fix your problem with the "missing" OFB folder.

And now, let's talk about the "dual game" you want to install.
As said, neighborhoods that have been played with Pets are not playable any more in OFB.
If you still haven't installed Pets, then rename the folder "(documents)\EA Games\The Sims 2" to "The Sims 2 - OFB" and move it away from the documents; then uninstall the BaseGameStarter and install Pets.
Then use the BaseGameStarter installer to create an "Up to OFB" game.
When done, move again the folder "The Sims 2 - OFB" into your documents, overwriting the one created by the BaseGameStarter.

This way, your Pets game will be a "clean" installation (it will be considered your "Full game" by the BaseGameStarter), and you can play your Up to OFB game with all your mods, downloads etc).

Keep a backup copy of your mod-loaded game, and NEVER use the "Delete folders" options when using the BaseGameStarter.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  For_JadeElliot.zip (337 Bytes, 0 downloads)

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#77 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 1:02 PM
This is amazing!
But.. When I played my game as normal all the stuff of glamour life was gone!
It's like I haven't install the expansion but I did!
Can I remove the base game starter that I have everything back?
Test Subject
#78 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 2:51 PM
Better late than never. Thank you so much, that's great news! It'll make a world of difference for me!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Sorry, I missed your post -

Yes, you can play the additional games as long as you want: it's a completely autonomous game, that you can keep using for a lot of sim-generations
Your saved game will also "survive" to an uninstallation of the BaseGameStarter: by default, the "played" games are not deleted dusing uninstallation.

Just, be sure to *never* check the option "Delete also the USED game folders", otherwise you will lose your base-game folder.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 11:06 PM
First of all, in order to make sure nothing funky had happened with my game files, I spent all day reinstalling. (The Dance of the, like, 99 Disks - geeze)

I moved my older My Docs folder to the desktop and then I installed the Base Game, then Uni, then NL, then OFB, then Pets.

I started Pets once to see what it was like.

Then I installed your program, specifying up to OFB. I got the same error as above.

So I followed your directions and went to the reg key specified and changed it. I got the same error.

Also, I tried to install your reg key and got this:

"Cannot Import etc, etc. The specified file is a not a registry script. You can only import registry files."

This is what is happening when I try to click on my UptoOFB icon:

My installation is in English, I am running Windows ME, and the paths are all the ones the game picks. I have not changed any files you have not specified.

Something is rotten in Denmark, please help.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#80 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 11:41 PM
Windows ME?! Oh, my! Now that you tell me, I remember that Windows versions prior to W2000 used and older Registry format!

The updated version of the BaseGameStarter will be posted shortly, and will be compatible with Windows 95, 98 and ME, too.
In the meantime, do this:

1) Open the folder (documents)\EA Games\BaseGameStarter
2) You will see several ".reg" files: right-click on one of them and choose Edit
3) On the first line, replace Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 with REGEDIT4
4) Save and close
5) Repeat for all the .reg files contained in the BaseGameStarter folder

Try starting the Up2OFB game using the icon already existing on your desktop (don't use the installer any more, or your .reg files will revert to the wrong format!)

If you still get the same error as before, correct the .reg file I've sent you (replacing the first line), and run it; and then retry starting your Up2OFB game.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sneeuwballeken
This is amazing!
But.. When I played my game as normal all the stuff of glamour life was gone!
It's like I haven't install the expansion but I did!
Can I remove the base game starter that I have everything back?

I discovered a bug in the BaseGameStarter that causes the problem you describe.
Very soon (probably tomorrow) I will post an update for the BaseGameStarter that will fix that bug, and will restore the full functionality of your game.
You will soon have back all your Glamour stuff, promised!

Field Researcher
#82 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 12:17 AM
When I do as you've asked to the only file reg file in (documents)\EA Games\BaseGameStarter, Sims2_Full.reg, then try myup2OFB game I get the same errors. Even once I change the reg entry you sent me and install it (which does work now).

When I open Sims2_Full.reg again, it is changed back to Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00, even if I am SURE I have saved it before.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 12:53 AM
Jade, we'd better defer discussing your problem until the updated BaseGameStarter is up. And then, I hope all your problems will be fixed without further discussion

Test Subject
#84 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 7:09 PM
Thanks for the new version!
It works perfect and all the glamour stuff is back.
Good job =)
Out-of-date, catching up
#85 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 10:21 AM
Seems like a very useful tool, though it is apparently also incompatible with Swedish installations of Windows. Guess I'll have to use another account when testing :/.

I've attached two log files, in case it helps.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  BaseGameStarter.zip (2.0 KB, 0 downloads)
Forum Resident
#86 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 10:30 AM
Hello Numenor,

This will be very useful to me, but i am having a problem with custom content, i was wondering does the game automatically read from the full version's download folder, or will i have to create it, if so, whereabouts ?

Please dont request anything to be made, but I dont mind suggestions/ideas. :)
Mad Poster
#87 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 11:28 AM
If you want to add CC you must copy it in the sim 2 - name of the game\download folder.
If you want more read this http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=200895.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Forum Resident
#88 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 1:09 PM
Thanks Patul

Please dont request anything to be made, but I dont mind suggestions/ideas. :)
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 3:39 PM
so let me get this straight, this program will allow me to play my nightlife neighborhood and use the stuff that doesn't work on pets with the push of a button? without having to un-install?

if so, this rocks! it's exactly what I wanted! thanks for the early christmas present!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#90 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 6:31 PM
JohnBrehaut1, A.F.R.O and all - Remember that every "test game" created by the BaseGameStarter runs in folder of its own, completely autonomous from your "full" game. this means that Downloads, SavedSims, Lots, Families, Neighborhoods ets are NOT shared between your "full" game and your "test" games. You have to manually copy the custom content you need from the "full" to the "test" game folders.

Merola - Thanks for reporting. Unfortunately, your case is included in the problem pointed out in the main post:
The BaseGameStarter PRO is NOT compatible with Windows versions that use non-standard character sets.

You probably have looked at the StartBaseLog you sent me, and you saw nothing wrong; but when I read it, with my standard Latin character set, I notice that the SAVEGAME folder is ...\Ägaren\..., but then DOS interprets it as ...\Žgaren\...

Anyway, your case seems simpler than our Greek friend, that posted earlier about the same problem. To avoid reinstalling everything in a new account, you can manually edit the batch files created by the BaseGameStarter.

I'm going to give detailed explanations in my next post.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 10:11 PM
WHAT TO DO IF THE NAME OF YOUR DOCUMENTS FOLDER CONTAINS NON-STANDARD CHARACTERS

(If you can't follow these instructions, ask me for explanations, but tell me which version of Windows you have!)

A known limitation of the BaseGameStarter (actually, of the DOS batch files used by the BaseGameStarter) is that non-standard characters aren't accepted.
"Standard characters" are numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z / a-z, without stress marks or other diacritical marks. Non standard characters are, for instance: Ä à ß æ ç é ô õ œ etc., the whole Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, oriental alphabets etc...

If the path to your documents folder contains such "non-standard" characters, the BaseGameStarter will give continuous errors, unable to find your Sims savegame.

In order to fix the problem, you have to manually edit the batch (.bat) files installed by the BaseGameStarter.

Do this:
  1. Open a Command Prompt (also known as "DOS prompt" or "Command windows"). If you don't know how to do this, read HERE.

2. Type CD (space) and then type exactly the path to your Documents folder (the one where is located the "The Sims 2" folder).
    For example, a Swedish user should type:
    CD C:\Documents and Settings\Numenör\Mina dokument
    while a Greek user should type:
    CD C:\Documents and Settings\Νουμενορ\Τα έγγραφά μου

3. Type COMMAND (this will switch the DOS window to the older DOS prompt). You should see, in your DOS window, that the prompt has adopted the short DOS folder names.
    Following the same examples, a Swedish user will see:
    C:\DOCUME~1\NUMENR~1\MINADO~1>
    while the Greek user will see:
    C:\DOCUME~1\6650~1\BCA3~1>

4. Copy or write down this text, ignoring the ending ">" character.

5. Type EXIT and close the DOS window.

6. Back to your mouse , open the folder (Documents)\EA Games\BaseGameStarter

7. Right click on the file "DelEmptyFolders.bat" and choose "Edit"

8. Locate the line (there is only one in the file) that begins with:
    SET USERDOCS= and delete everything after the "=" to the end of the line; replace the deleted text with the path you have written down earlier. For example, the Swedish user's file will contain the line:
    SET USERDOCS=C:\DOCUME~1\NUMENR~1\MINADO~1
    and the Greek's file
    SET USERDOCS=C:\DOCUME~1\6650~1\BCA3~1

HINT: in order to type the "~" character, hold down the ALT key and type "0126" on the numeric pad, then release the ALT key.

9. Save the file and close the Notepad. Repeat the last step for ALL the .bat files that you find in the BaseGameStarter folder (in each .bat file, there is one, and only one line that begins with "SET USERDOCS=").

10. Tha't all. Remember that every time you run the installer, the .bat files are overwritten; therefore, I suggest to keep a copy of the edited .bat files in a safe place.

Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#92 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 11:03 PM
Gah!! Okay, I was testing out Legacy Bodyshop and all was going well. Then while opening it the 3rd time, I realized I'd forgotten to put a mesh in the downloads folder, so I killed Legacy Bodyshop with Task Manager. Now I keep getting this error message a million times when I try to open Legacy Bodyshop:

-------------------

AUTOMATIC RECOVERY ROUTINE
This routine has been executed because there was something wrong
in your Registry or in your "EA Games" folder.

The recovering process was successful, but in your "EA Games"
folder there is now a subfolder that you should check:
(Documents)\EA Games\The Sims 2 - CHECK
The corresponding window has been opened for you: please examine its content.
It doesn't seem to contain your Base Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your Full Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "UNI" Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "NL" Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "OFB" Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "FFS" Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "GLS" Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "PETS" Game.
It doesn't seem to contain your "LegacyBS" Game.
Most probably, it's just a useless folder created by mistake due to an improper installation:
once you are SURE that there is nothing important in it, just delete it.

----

The folder it's talking about is my "The Sims 2" folder that Legacy renamed to "The Sims 2 - CHECK" for some reason. Definitely NOT something to be deleted. There's also something called "Folder 10" in my EA Games folder now, and "The Sims 2 - LBS" folder is empty except for "LBSGame.id" That seems to have happened after I killed the process because of the error message spamming.

ETA: Okay. I put the folders all back how they're supposed to be and ran the Legacy Bodyshop installer again. It seems to be fixed. But I don't know what happened there, it was quite freaky! Also, when I install Legacy Bodyshop the icon takes on the properties of my The Sims 2 Pets icon (-w -r800x640) which I don't want to apply to BodyShop. It's no big deal to delete those properties but thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 12:21 AM
When a correct folder renaming can't be done (because there are windows opened, or the batch file is interrupted, or a program holds an exclusive use of a game folder etc...), the automatic recover routine does what it can, and then asks for a "human" help to the user.

In this case, you have done exactly what I meant when I wrote that error message: looking into the folders and renaming them correctly. Probably I could further improve the automatic recover routine, though. I'll try and think to a more efficient solution.

As for the 800x600 resolution, it wasn't taken from the your Sims2 Pets icon: I set it that way, but actually I did it by mistake I wanted to add the -w parameter, but I forgot to remove the -r800x600 part -

Again, you acted for the best

Mad Poster
#94 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 2:55 PM
Actually, is it possible to redirect the directory, so it hasn't to be at the my document folder?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 3:24 PM
Sorry, no; and this is for two reasons:

1) The batch files need to rename the folder when running, "swapping" the main savegame folder with the "test" one: this can't be done if the two folders are located in different parts of the disc.

2) The game always looks for the savegame into the Documents; this can't be changed, and therefor, for what I said above, all the "test" savegames must be located in your Documents.

You can move the entire Documents folder to a new, larger partition of your disc, if you like, though...

Lab Assistant
#96 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 9:32 PM
Hi Numenor

What a fantastic tool this is! A million thank-yous from me!

I can run the Up-to-Nightlife game just fine, but if I try the Up-to-OFB game, I simply receive a "Please insert the Open For Business disc - click OK and restart the application" message (I also get it with OFB-only).

The packs I have installed are the basic game, University, Nightlife, Open For Business and Pets (none of the 'stuff' packs). All these are installed on drive I.

The path to Open For Business is: I:\The Sims 2 Open For Business
The path to my Sims folders in 'My Documents' is: K:\My Documents\EA Games

The startup log StartUp2OFBlog reads:
Quote:
06/11/2006 21:08:55.67 - Start
----------------------------------------------------------
INSTALLDIR = "i:\THCF29~1\"
USERDOCS = "K:\My Documents"
DISPLAYNAME = "The Sims 2"
SAVEGAME = "K:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"
GAMEEXEC = "i:\THCF29~1\\TSBin"
Directory listing for "K:\My Documents\EA Games":
The Sims 2
The Sims 2 - BaseGame
The Sims 2 - NL
The Sims 2 - OFB
The Sims 2 - UNI
K:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\FullGame.id
K:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 - BaseGame\BaseGame.id
K:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 - NL\NLGame.id
K:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 - OFB\OFBGame.id
K:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 - UNI\UNIGame.id
Content of the "Sims2_full.reg" file:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\The Sims 2]
"EPsInstalled"="Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe,Sims2EP3.exe,,,Sims2EP4.exe"
06/11/2006 21:09:01.70 - Starting Up2OFBGame from i:\THCF29~1\
06/11/2006 21:09:15.53 - Up2OFBGame ended
06/11/2006 21:09:15.64 - End

I don't know whether all my non-standard paths are muddling everything, or whether my OFB disk died at the precise moment I installed Pets. Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Sue
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 10:09 PM
The BaseGameStarter seems to correctly manage your unusual folder configuration (that by the way is more "normal" then mine ).

Sorry for the silly question, but when you run your Up2OFB / OnlyOFB games, do you insert the Open for Business disc in the drive, as requested?

Lab Assistant
#98 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
The BaseGameStarter seems to correctly manage your unusual folder configuration (that by the way is more "normal" then mine ).

Sorry for the silly question, but when you run your Up2OFB / OnlyOFB games, do you insert the Open for Business disc in the drive, as requested?

I love silly questions - I can usually answer them!

Yes, I insert the disc. At first, it attempts to autorun (and gives the same incorrect disc message). I click OK to quit that error message, then I attempt to run the Base Game Starter version Up2OFB - but still get the insert correct disc message,

It's weird, because the NL setup works fine. I have two drives and have tried OFB in both - no luck though.

Sue
Field Researcher
#99 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 10:54 PM
Numenor, Thank for updating this. I just tried to install the up2OFB only game and got this error in the MS-DOS window when the installer was at "recovering".

C:\EA GAMES>(
Bad command or file name

C:\EA GAMES>(
Bad command or file name

C:\EA GAMES>IF EXIST "Folder%A" REN "Folder%A" " - CHECK"

C:\EA GAMES>)
Bad command or file name

C:\EA GAMES>
C:\EA GAMES>IF NOT EXIST " - CHECK" GOTO END

C:\EA GAMES>CD "\EA Games\BaseGameStarter"
Invalid directory

C:\EA GAMES>ECHO >>RecoverLog.txt Final directory listing for

C:\EA GAMES>DIR >>RecoverLog.txt "..\*" /B

C:\EA GAMES>DIR >>RecoverLog.txt "..\*.id" /B /S

After a bit, the installer finished. I tried to start up the up2OFB game and got this error:

*** ERROR! ***
The folder does not EXIST!
An automatic recovering has been attempted, but it failed.
Please check your savegame folder:
"\EA Games"
If you need help, visit http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107015
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 11:33 PM
Hi Numenor

Just to let you know my problem was, I think, "Operator Error".......

I tried Pets, and that was giving "Pets disc not found" too, but I rebooted my PC and all is working now - including the Up2OFB! Thank you, THANK YOU for a wonderful utility. It means us lot builders CAN still share our lots despite the Pets packaging problem (lots won't package Maxis recolours any longer).
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 23