Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 11:52 PM
Default I wonder what Windows 11 will mean for Sims 2
I just read that Microsoft is expected to announce a new version of Windows very soon, expected to be called Windows 11. Considering all of the hoops we've jumped through keeping the game alive, modding it to work with newer PCs and operating systems, I wonder if Windows 11 will bring fourth the end (for use on modern PCs anyway) or if the game will survive this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 12:17 AM
I mean, the main issue is that the graphics rules doesn't recognize the new hardware. I'm sure that will be true in exactly the same way for Windows 11 as it was for Windows 10. And if somehow the operating system really doesn't work with Sims 2, you could just install Windows 7 or whatever on a VM and run the game that way.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 12:47 AM
As long as you have Windows 7 you should be all right. I didn't get 7 until at least 3 years after XP had been thrown out.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 3:03 AM
I still have Windows 7 and even that was a pain to get set up for Sims 2. I have no plans for updating my system.
Scholar
#5 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 9:58 PM
If Microsoft's only just about to announce it, I can't imagine we'll need to worry about it for at least a year. Plenty of time to get something that can dual-boot to Windows XP/7 (with whatever modern OS is preferred as an internet-accessing OS), or run a virtual machine. Obviously as long as you have a legitimate version of a Sims 2-compatible operating system.
Inventor
#6 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 2:06 AM
Microsoft will support Windows 10 until 2025 (no exact date AFAIK) so we are safe until then, unless they manage to put out some particularly harmful update. And since the system is already available we can hope that by then someone will figure out solutions to the problems we are bound to have.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 6:24 AM
I installed The Sims 2 UC on a Windows 11 VM (using the leaked build), and the game ran pretty well after fixing Graphics Rules. There were some graphical glitches (grey neighborhood map and a black void beyond the lots' borders), which I believe was the VM's doing. But the game itself was quite stable and did not crash.
Test Subject
#8 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 12:38 PM Last edited by pirohp : 1st Aug 2021 at 12:28 AM.
I use Win7 due to lots of old software. While I plan building a Pentium 4 gaming machine, you guessed it for TheSims2 and other old games I plan on revisiting. Don't plan on upgrading to anything any time soon, don't care for new softwares and games that are just cashgrab, time wasting pointless trash then anything else useful or enjoyable. If the internet will die out on Win7 I will move to a Android tablet and keep my Win7 system offline. If I ever decide or really need a new Windows system it will be in couple of years then I buy a new PC. Even thinking to move to Linux.

The current system makes no sense to be upgraded whatsoever. Don't care what some people say or think. I know what works the best for my needs and I tend to stick to it. And if I need to sacrifice something down the line I can live without it. Life is too short to be wasted on corporate hype and mindless agendas.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 12:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Aug 2021 at 10:20 AM.
Already having enough issues with 10, not interested in "upgrading" to even more possible issues with 11. Missing 7... :/

I'm 2 years into Windows 10, and already considering reinstalling to reset it just for the sake of getting rid of all the crap it's been throwing at me on a somewhat daily basis the past months (Windows update has NEVER been more annoying - I have to turn that thing off most of the time for the computer to work somewhat okay, otherwise it hogs half the resources and slows the laptop to a crawl for up to several hours. I don't know what that thing needs 8-14 GB of RAM for when updating, but it sure ain't Firefox! ).
Instructor
#10 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 10:59 PM
Ditto on the not upgrading. I have 10 on a cheap laptop and boy it's a pain in my rear. I can only imagine how annoying 11 will be.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 4:10 AM
Yea windows 10 hogs half my memory sometimes. Which is fine for Sims 2 as long as I don't do much in the background. But windows 11? I can just imagine that being even more annoying.

My Simblr
He/They
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
Yea windows 10 hogs half my memory sometimes.

That's what it's designed to do- it uses idle memory for maintenance tasks such as file indexing. As soon as you need that memory, it releases it.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 10:25 PM
Sims 2 takes about ten minutes to launch on Windows 10 for me (not like loading into the game, I mean literally launch. double clicking the shortcut to actually seeing the game on screen takes ten minutes).

I found a windows xp machine I built for ts2 six years ago in my garage and hooked it back up recently. It’s not getting security patches or anything so I don’t have it online. It runs the game really well with just 3gb of ram and an ancient 1gb graphics card

I feel like win 10 is gonna be the last home for ts2. Don’t think it’ll do well with win 11.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Scholar
#16 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 5:37 AM
Curious how so many of you still have Win 7 considering 10 has been installed on new computers by default for years now. There's no getting away from the fricken thing. Hubby said downgrading to 7 isn't possible (don't know if he meant just for this computer or in general) but yeah given the choice I'd go back to 7 any day. Back when your computer actually felt like it was YOURS to control. I'm nervous to even reboot these days, feels like every time I do something new and unwanted has been forced on the screen, most recently the weather and fake news on the taskbar. (Does clicking turn off actually free up the resources for that or just hide it on screen?)

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Theorist
#17 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Curious how so many of you still have Win 7 considering 10 has been installed on new computers by default for years now. There's no getting away from the fricken thing. Hubby said downgrading to 7 isn't possible (don't know if he meant just for this computer or in general) but yeah given the choice I'd go back to 7 any day. Back when your computer actually felt like it was YOURS to control. I'm nervous to even reboot these days, feels like every time I do something new and unwanted has been forced on the screen, most recently the weather and fake news on the taskbar. (Does clicking turn off actually free up the resources for that or just hide it on screen?)

From what I've read some people here have costum-built computers with Windows 7 for Sims 2.

I could never do that, since Sims 2 isn't the only game I play and I'm too lazy to build a PC. However I was still working with an old Windows 8 desktop until I upgraded to a new one with windows 10 about half a year ago.
I don't really have any problems with Windows 10 tbh (in general, I haven't really managed to get Sims 2 to run on it yet, mostly because I'm to busy with other stuff and have low motivation to install Sims 2 again)
As for the news and weather on the taskbar, you can turn that off, I turned it off right away.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 2:54 PM
My nine year old laptop is Windows 7 and it still runs like an almost brand new computer at that age because I use software to shut the background tasks down and stop having everything running in the backgound when most of it can be deactivated except for essential things.
Scholar
#20 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 11:01 PM
well, you can always take this as an incentive to leave The Microsoft XBox Operating System - Surveillance Edition for something less vomit inducing*

//nope, not Apple which intends to scan your (practically mandatory) cloud storage against supposed child abuse images; 'allegedly'.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#21 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam

Having Windows 7 on your computer if it's hand built (which mine is) is perfectly legit-the person who installed it had a legitimate valid copy of Win7 to put in-new computers do have 10 installed as default, but if you're really an expert at it, you can uninstall it and roll it back to Win 7 provided you have a legitimate copy of the program. Believe me, you'll have to register it with Microsoft in the installation and they do a internal check so they would immediately know if it was a fake copy or not.
Those serial numbers are registered in their system. They can check in a millisecond.
I would rather have 7 in the computer than 10 because I consider 10 to be spyware and too pushy for my use.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 7:14 AM
I fear the day TS2 will be incompatible. But for Windows 10, I’ve actually seen it perform the best after installing it on a NVMe ssd. The load times are super fast and gameplay is very smooth.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I would rather have 7 in the computer than 10 because I consider 10 to be spyware and too pushy for my use.

There's a lot of Win10 things you can turn off in the settings, and it helps to some degree, but the thing is a mess. There are items I have to force-shut through task manager so they won't run crazy on the harddrive (Speaking of, found a task that's keeping my harddrive running at 100% and from what I've been reading about it, it's one of the more or less "useless" Win10 tasks, so whenever I see it, I shut it down via the task manager. Also found another useless one to disable just now).

I really miss Win7, and would prefer it over 10. All the weird tasks in the task manager and the strange handling of the tasks is something I find very annoying with 10. There's so much that looks like "junk", but it's difficult to know what's safe to shut down.

I have a feeling 11 will probably be even worse.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 6:52 PM
Glad there is currently a reimplementation project for the game. Though if it gets really bad before that is finished, there is always DXVK. Slows down bad on large lots, but it does improve the game's playability, and squash basically every current system based bug.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 9:37 PM
I've got 10 on my laptop, but the PC will be 7 forever. When I brought it in 2013, it came with the Windows 7 disk and I have kept that disk through two new hard drives and a new motherboard and will continue to use it for as long as possible.
Page 1 of 3