Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Making Useless Maxis Meshes Useful - Replacement Pack for AMBodyDisco (Defaults & Non-Defaults Added!)

by HystericalParoxysm Posted 28th Sep 2006 at 3:04 PM - Updated 2nd Jul 2013 at 8:00 PM by HystericalParoxysm

93 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
#51 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 4:35 PM
Thanks a lot, I hate that meshes, they give me the creeps, but it's a wonderful idea the non-default ones, because I used the original outfits like uniforms for hairdressers.

"Primum vivere, deinde philosophare"
Field Researcher
#52 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 6:09 PM
I did download the default, but didn't like replacing Maxis, however I loved the mesh and recolours so I went back today to check if maybe you'd added a non-default version and you had! Thank you!!

"Gag me with a reticulated spline!! You're not my cup of tea!" - The Nightlife Prima Guide
Instructor
#53 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 8:21 AM
Thank you! No more nasty 70's for my sims. I didn't even notice the scarf, I just saw the colors and figured that recoloring it in itself would be too hard. You're awsome.
Inventor
#54 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 11:45 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you etc... I hated that scarf so I never used these outfits but now I will :D.

~R.I.P Tibbs. You will be truely missed~

|MTS2|DeviantArt|
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:23 PM
OMG!
Hysterical Paroxysm I love you! I cannot sim without your fixes!

Oh, BTW, what happened to Gaius and Six avatar? I always chuckled when I saw them. I miss them!
Test Subject
#56 Old 5th Oct 2006 at 4:11 AM
Thank you HP! :D

Hello, I'm a Mac.
Test Subject
#57 Old 7th Oct 2006 at 8:36 AM
these are just fantastic. thank you for doing them!
would you consider this a difficult process? Is there a tutorial that you might suggest if a person wanted to do this themselves to other outfits? (it kills me that nearly all the t-shirt and jeans outfits for guys have sandals. anyone ever hear of shoes?)
i'll look a bit more thoroughly through the tutorials to see if i can't find one myself, but any suggestions would be great!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 7th Oct 2006 at 8:50 AM
mrlucas, yes, there are tutorials on... maybe not exactly this, but the Body Shop Meshing forum has three Unimesh meshing tutorials that are designed to teach someone the necessary skills to do most body meshing projects, including what us meshyheads call a "frankenstein" - combining parts from different meshes together, which is what I did to create these outfits - from the nude body mesh, I used a piece of the neck to replace the neck on the original with the scarf, as well as replacing the hands to remove the ring. I -personally- would not consider this a difficult process, but I've also been meshing for over a year now, so that's a little like asking a surgeon if they find their job difficult. It does require a lot of practice, and doing something just like this (a default replacement mesh and textures) out of the box would be very difficult for a beginner.

If you'd like to get into creating, start with recolouring existing meshes (Faylen's tutorials in the Body Shop Skinning area are great for that). You may be able to do quite a bit with texturing to those silly sandals outfits - the texturing for some small sneakers can be put on a barefoot/sandals mesh and doesn't look awful (how often do you zoom in on a sim's feet anyway?). Once you can recolour in your sleep, you may want to look into the beginner's Unimesh tutorial. The path to being an experienced mesher is a long, difficult one, paved with empty aspirin bottles, tears, and asploded meshes, but it's definitely worth it if you've got the time, persistence, and intelligence necessary to climb that very high mountain.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#59 Old 7th Oct 2006 at 7:53 PM
thanks HP! i am going to run through those unimesh tutorials as soon as i can.
i have a little experience with meshing (couple simple outfits here and there, just tweaks really) but i could always use more.
the process of replacing defaults has always intimidated me a bit. the instance numbers and such. i made my own default eye replacements but that took me forever. i am thinking this probably isnt too much different than that. but i might be wrong.
you probably get a million posts like this so thank you for being so kind and respectful. its people like you that make this community great.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 8th Oct 2006 at 5:23 AM
Well, the way I did the texture replacements wasn't done by changing instance numbers, but by finding the original textures, extracting them, and then putting them in a new package, which leaves the original instance number the same (making a lovely insta-default replacement). Then just replaced the yucky textures with my own using the nVidia DDS utilities and Build DXT in SimPE. With meshes, making default replacements is actually less steps than making non-defaults - you just gather the mesh parts and then don't do Fix Integrity.

Certainly doing a whole set like this as default replacements is... not a simple process, but if you wanted to do something similar after going through the Unimesh tutorials, well, the above info might make a little more sense as well, once you're a bit more experienced, and once you are, if you need help, the Body Shop Meshing forum is a great resource - I'd be happy to assist you there once you get to that point. Good luck to ya.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#61 Old 8th Oct 2006 at 7:05 AM
I'm so impressed! This mesh is new to me and was just what I was looking for to my simmies! Thanks bunches for make it available!
Looks perfect:D
Andres aka whiteshark
Instructor
#62 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 1:09 PM
Thanks very much. In fact I have replaced self all the meshes that I also considered as ridiculous, but I'm not a mesh maker, so I made some replacements that don't look exactly good. So, if you can replace those meshes more beautifully, you are more than welcome.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#63 Old 14th Oct 2006 at 7:19 PM
Oh! I just love this! Thanks HystericalParoxysm!

Ummm... Well... I hafta kinda admit something.... (lol) Well,, What are the Sim equivalent of Saturday Night Live's the 'Check brothers' gonna wear on their nights out?

Oh! And we want your models... You just have to quit teasing us with them and just hand them over. ;0)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 14th Oct 2006 at 7:24 PM
psst, porkypine, Corvus can be downloaded here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=195139

*covers Corvus in a drool-proof coating*

Scholar
#65 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 8:12 PM Last edited by sim~obsessor : 6th Nov 2006 at 10:34 PM.
*squeeses Hp REALLY REALLY HARD!* i love you! yay! i just realized the other day in CAS that i hated these outfits! do you have any idea when youll get done with those NL outfits with the "murse"? i cant wait ot see those!
Test Subject
#66 Old 11th Jan 2007 at 1:19 AM
Thank you so much for doing this. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to downloading this. Now I can actually use the outfits that were before just taking up space.
Test Subject
#67 Old 21st Jan 2007 at 8:38 PM
Its not a scarf-thing, its an ascot! Freddy from Scooby-doo would be shocked that you called it so! J/k, thanks for the download!
Test Subject
#68 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 1:04 AM
normally I don't hit the thank you, not because I don't appreciate the work and effort but because I don't really have anything cute or sharpwitted to say, and this time is no different except having read the statement just before the download I wanted to say it must be very insulting to ask that your work be treated a certain way and watch the many mutations the interpretation of that request can be twisted in. long winded but some of us really do just download your great work for our own private enjoyment so thank you.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 9:45 PM
Thank you once again...I loved the shape too but the scarf, omg that was too too bizarre, and the textures only suitable for clubwear. If that.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 1:45 AM
yeah, maxis likes to take their expansion pack "themes" over the edge sometimes, pets being a prime example, ofb apparently being another...

i build houses! that would sound much more important if they were real houses...
Instructor
#71 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 12:48 PM Last edited by sakrayami : 15th Apr 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spellingmistakes
HP, thanks! I hated these discoclothes and didn't bought it, i did not like the texture at all, and the silly accessories. I am going to ones you made

1st place in SimCity's Most Eligible Bachelor 2009
2nd in Wicked/Angel male models
2nd in The Ultimate Maxis Sim Makeover
2nd in Bollywood's Next Idol
3rd in Miss Curves
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 7:05 AM
Wow. You took something kinda...ghey (and not in the awesome way), and made it very sexy. Kudos to you!

And it's gone, baby, gone.
Instructor
#73 Old 15th May 2007 at 11:10 AM
Thanks very much for these, the scarf thing disturbed me very much.

Retired...

kind of.
Field Researcher
#74 Old 30th May 2007 at 10:26 AM
I also like the look of this outfit but would not use it because of the scarf,so thank u very much.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 6:37 AM
You took something that made me retch when I loaded OFB the first time and replaced it with clothing that I will actually use. Whohoo!

boolprop iqtestingenabled true
Page 3 of 4