Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#876 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 10:25 PM
It was complicated when I just decompiled, because no matter what I seemed to change or how I edited the files it didn't seem to work. I spent a lot of time banging my head on my keyboard while I tried to work that out without any seeming success. When I finally went back to the original source for thesimmysims's mod and used that as a base, I had more success, but I then had to alter the code where Maxis has made changes to their base code. There is part of the gradual growth which I have not properly fixed yet.

As of right now, the base console command to alter the height from -100 to +100 appears to work for sims of all ages/genders. I don't see much weirdness in walking or animation except where sims clip the seat when they sit down or when they play certain animations with other sims. That is likely to never be changed because the original animations are designed for sims with set heights.

I'm investigating getting it to keep sim heights on aging up but I can't make any promises about making that work. I'll take a look

ETA: Wow, Mendota, that's very generous! But I think it would be unfair of me to take anything given this is not my original code and the updating I've done is not nearly as much work as the original work put in by thesimmysim. Thank you, though!
Advertisement
Scholar
#877 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tedw
It was complicated when I just decompiled, because no matter what I seemed to change or how I edited the files it didn't seem to work. I spent a lot of time banging my head on my keyboard while I tried to work that out without any seeming success. When I finally went back to the original source for thesimmysims's mod and used that as a base, I had more success, but I then had to alter the code where Maxis has made changes to their base code. There is part of the gradual growth which I have not properly fixed yet.

As of right now, the base console command to alter the height from -100 to +100 appears to work for sims of all ages/genders. I don't see much weirdness in walking or animation except where sims clip the seat when they sit down or when they play certain animations with other sims. That is likely to never be changed because the original animations are designed for sims with set heights.

I'm investigating getting it to keep sim heights on aging up but I can't make any promises about making that work. I'll take a look

ETA: Wow, Mendota, that's very generous! But I think it would be unfair of me to take anything given this is not my original code and the updating I've done is not nearly as much work as the original work put in by thesimmysim. Thank you, though!

I donated to Sammy and tried to help him keep going. He lived in a third world country and it was difficult for him. I don't think he would mind and it would be worthwhile if someone could take over this mod and keep it up to date. It is sort of like a "foster child" of mods. Not exactly an orphan, but no one to own it. I am more than willing to donate because I really like and need this mod. I play families and I hate having them all look like "Kate plus 8", with everyone the same size.
Test Subject
#878 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 5:40 PM
tedw, I appreciate that you're working on a fix for this! I write a sim story and rely heavily on this mod to make my characters be different heights. Please keep us updated with your progress. And I also would gladly help donate to repay you for your time in fixing this mod!
Scholar
#879 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TrebleRose89
tedw, I appreciate that you're working on a fix for this! I write a sim story and rely heavily on this mod to make my characters be different heights. Please keep us updated with your progress. And I also would gladly help donate to repay you for your time in fixing this mod!

For the moment I use heightslider151teens.zip from here:
http://modthesims.info/d/588159/height-slider.html

It still works. Whats wrong with it do you think?
The toddler fix is not needed.
Scholar
#880 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Morphar

Well for one thing I don't like the "foot slider" it is not as easy to gauge the height in CAS with the sims standing alone. And it doesn't include children. I prefer the script and the commands.
Test Subject
#881 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 4:48 PM

Do you think you'd be willing to at least release that portion of the mod for those of us who don't really use the "gradual growth" portion? I, personally, had no idea that was even part of the mod because I've always just used the cheat console for my sims' heights. So I'm sure myself and a few others would benefit from what you've already completed!
Scholar
#882 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 9:26 PM
I am with unkemptpaladin. I don't care about the growth or keeping the height. It is easy enough to readjust after they age up. And in fact it would be better to not make it to complex, as that hinders updating.
Scholar
#883 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:57 AM

Might try your suggestion because I was using Lumia's Height Slider as an alternative, while it has limitations I didn't like the way they bend at the knees when you shorten them (It's looks nothing like the GIFs animations either), so technically it's just looks like they are only squating down to look shorter, ok maybe a long dress with cover the obvious but it's not worth the hassle.

So reverted back to this one again, and kept the Bulge, hand, heights, neck package, deleted the ts4 script file to prevent LE's and set all sim's that had their height adjusted re-patched to No Age.

While they will keep their height, in the meantime I will no longer be able to change any more heights on future sims.

I do have some programming knowledge but how it keeps the heights just by keeping the packages is so far beyond me, where does it save the data, in package itself, or the Saves folder ?

I willing enough to try adjust them all offline using sim ID numbers...
Scholar
#884 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:07 AM
I am wondering, if anyone wants to try. What will happen if someone tries the original Sammy files at the beginning of the post. It worked until an update, but now that Maxis has updated all of Python, I wonder if the old files will work? I haven't updated the game so I can't try it myself.
Lab Assistant
#885 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 7:08 AM
I’m still using the height slider I got from my cousin. I’ve no idea who made it as she just gave me the files. You pull on their feet in CAS. If you make them very short their knees look odd but otherwise it works fine. I just wanted to make adult and teen Sims different heights and for this it works. It doesn’t work on kids or toddlers. If anyone brings out a better one I’ll try it though as I would like to try make kids different heights for a change.
Test Subject
#886 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:36 PM

For me, this mod doesn't work for two reasons. #1, Having to go into CAS to change the heights. I use this mod for white I screenshot my story, and whenever I use a pose, I need to revert the sims back to default height so that the pose lines up well, then put them back to their normal heights when I'm done posing and go back to using in-game animations. It would be too much of a hassle to go into CAS every time. And #2 is consistency, as you can't just memorize a height number for each sim like you can with this mod.

If I just used this mod for fun in my game, I would for sure use the foot slider version. However, for my purposes, I really need the console command

I agree with others asking tedw if it'd be possible to release the version of the mod you have now? I don't use the gradual height change either. I just really need the ability to change heights using console commands again
Scholar
#887 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 6:40 PM
This is the original mod by simmythesim:
http://modthesims.info/d/559329/dep...-mod-v1-97.html

He started a new project built on that mod to make better animation and add other sliders and Height grow mod.
He gave up and left this project. Some works some don't.

Ash77 made an update of the script after a game patch so that it at least was able to start.

GODJUL1 made an update of the animations in the original mod..

Several modders have made improvements of the sliders in this project, not the script.

Now EA changed version of the Python compiler so all scripts need to be recompiled.
tedw is now trying to recompile the script.

@Mendota the originals in this project is already updated by Ash77 and now hopefully by tedw to work after that patch and after Python change.
Scholar
#888 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 7:28 PM
There are many ways to play The Sims.

My way is to play all sims jumping from lot to lot. Very rarely make my own sims in CAS. I like to see sims of different heights on town.
When I like to change a sim in CAS I do it directly from inside game with the help of Master Controller so it is no problem for me.

Origin:
+ The original mod and the one by GODJUL1 sets random heights of all sims in game. It also keeps their height throughout their life.
The children also inherit the parents heights. I don't play with toddlers or children, They are very rare on town.
Very relistic game.

- It is hard to set the height in CAS with any precision. I once tried to do a CAS background with a ruler in it. Failed.

This mod:
+ It is convinient to type the height in the console and it is more precise. Toddler and children can be changed from the console but not from CAS.
They defaults at aging.

- All NPC will have the same default height. If you change the height of a sim in console it will change back to default when it age. Really no problem if Master Controller is used to change in CAS and then they will age with pride.

If this mod ever going to be suitable for my stile of gaming, like the original, it will need the grow height or at least keep height to be implented.

Test Subject
#889 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mendota
I am wondering, if anyone wants to try. What will happen if someone tries the original Sammy files at the beginning of the post. It worked until an update, but now that Maxis has updated all of Python, I wonder if the old files will work? I haven't updated the game so I can't try it myself.

Hi there.

It doesn't crash the game and the sims keep their heights that I set previously but I cannot adjust anyone with the cheat console. No error, no "not found" message, just nothing. I would assume that it's the same for all the "sliders" but I don't use them. So no, the big issue is with the mod's main function outright breaking.

I'd be fine with what tedw has now but there's nothing wrong with added functionality in the future. That being said, making sure the source code is included and free for anyone to download would be good in case the mod gets abandoned again.
Field Researcher
#890 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 11:22 PM Last edited by tedw : 21st Nov 2018 at 1:53 AM.
Whew! Sorry for the delayed response, everyone - I dove deep down the rabbit hole of python coding for the past few days. I even dreamed about python coding one night

The reason for the delay is because I was investigating implementing a different way of using this slider that would be more user-friendly, closer to how I would ideally have it operate as a user of the mod. It is not as complete as I would like it to be - YET - but I have to stress that because python is so new for me, progress isn't as speedy as it might be waiting for your fave modders to update their mods. They already know what they're doing and I'm still learning. So, sorry to keep everyone waiting while I experiment and test!

This is what I've come up with:

This is a sim of mine, Hannah, having her height changed in game via menu rather than the cheat console. In this case, I chose the "Shortest" menu option, which set her height to -100.

And this is Hannah talking to a random sim passing by - a sim who is not part of the household! - whose height I am also changing via the menu.

I thought this would be a friendlier option that could replace the cheat console for a lot of users. PLEASE READ THIS: This does not represent the full planned scope of the menu system! I definitely know that users need a way to set a custom height rather than being forced to use presets, and I am working on implementing that. I'm just not there yet. In addition, because so much of my time has been spent setting this up to create a new pie menu, I haven't yet been able to investigate other aspects of the mod such as persistent heights after aging up and gradual height growth. They're still on the to do list (although gradual height growth may be beyond my ability to correct for the patch/python update...).

I know people are keen to use the updated version so they can get back to playing their games! I'm happy to post a version that uses only the cheat console method so nobody has to wait for me to experiment/implement the new options.

So: feedback? Is this something others are interested in using, or is it just me? I like the clean look of the menu, but would others prefer the presets to state the number after the title, like "Shortest [-50]"? I don't want to clutter the menu, but are more presets needed than the five displayed (Shortest = -100, Short = -50, Average = 0, Tall = 50, Tallest = 100)? I'm happy to hear any thoughts about this

ETA: Updated mod attached!
This is not the pie menu mod, it's just an update to allow this mod to work with the last patch.
Unzip this file and place the contents in your Mods folder (no further than one subfolder deep). Remove previous versions of the script and sliders. If you prefer to use the altered head size sliders, simply delete Height Slider Short and Height Slider Tall and replace them. Gradual growth is not working, but I believe the other functions to work. If you encounter a problem that you didn't experience before the python patch let me know and I'll see if I can fix it, but I make no promises since I'm not the original modder.

ETA2:
Whoops! I think I forgot to include one of the mod's files in the script. If you downloaded v1, please re-download!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  tedw_heightsliders_201811v2.zip (15.9 KB, 14437 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#891 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 11:45 PM
So: feedback? Is this something others are interested in using, or is it just me? I like the clean look of the menu, but would others prefer the presets to state the number after the title, like "Shortest [-50]"? I don't want to clutter the menu, but are more presets needed than the five displayed (Shortest = -100, Short = -50, Average = 0, Tall = 50, Tallest = 100)? I'm happy to hear any thoughts about this

No I love it! It satisfies what I love about the original mod (being able to set height with a number instead of a slider; it also has concrete values I can use when adjusting poses in Blender too) but you're right that the pie menu is more user friendly, especially for the typo prone. Obviously custom heights are the goal but wow! This is the work I wanted to see!
Field Researcher
#892 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 1:03 AM
Updated my post to add in a zip that contains an updated version of the mod for the last patch. It's not the extended version with the menu options that I showed in screenshots above. It should function just like the mod did before the patch except gradual growth is currently not working. If you experience problems let me know and I'll see if I can help out!

Quote: Originally posted by Death_By_Hashtags
No I love it! It satisfies what I love about the original mod (being able to set height with a number instead of a slider; it also has concrete values I can use when adjusting poses in Blender too) but you're right that the pie menu is more user friendly, especially for the typo prone. Obviously custom heights are the goal but wow! This is the work I wanted to see!

Yeah, I much prefer the ability to be precise about heights which is why I like this over the use of a slider in CAS. I'm really glad you like the menu idea!
Scholar
#893 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 1:04 AM
Whew! Sorry for the delayed response, everyone - I dove deep down the rabbit hole of python coding for the past few days. I even dreamed about python coding one night

The reason for the delay is because I was investigating implementing a different way of using this slider that would be more user-friendly, closer to how I would ideally have it operate as a user of the mod. It is not as complete as I would like it to be - YET - but I have to stress that because python is so new for me, progress isn't as speedy as it might be waiting for your fave modders to update their mods. They already know what they're doing and I'm still learning. So, sorry to keep everyone waiting while I experiment and test!

This is a sim of mine, Hannah, having her height changed in game via menu rather than the cheat console. In this case, I chose the "Shortest" menu option, which set her height to -100.

And this is Hannah talking to a random sim passing by - a sim who is not part of the household! - whose height I am also changing via the menu.

I thought this would be a friendlier option that could replace the cheat console for a lot of users. PLEASE READ THIS: This does not represent the full planned scope of the menu system! I definitely know that users need a way to set a custom height rather than being forced to use presets, and I am working on implementing that. I'm just not there yet. In addition, because so much of my time has been spent setting this up to create a new pie menu, I haven't yet been able to investigate other aspects of the mod such as persistent heights after aging up and gradual height growth. They're still on the to do list (although gradual height growth may be beyond my ability to correct for the patch/python update...).

I know people are keen to use the updated version so they can get back to playing their games! I'm happy to post a version that uses only the cheat console method so nobody has to wait for me to experiment/implement the new options.

Excelent work so far.

The Gradual Height slider consist of three parts according to Simmiys descriptions:

Quote:
The Gradual Height Change is sort of a slider, but it's also not simultaneously. This marks the return of shorter teens from the old mod! This time, it also shortens your existing teens!
The Gradual Height part makes it so that your child and teen sims grow, every day, at midnight, which is pretty cool, I admit!
It also randomizes the heights of the NPC's in the neighborhood, for more realistic sims, this only happens if their height hasn't been randomized, by the way.

The gradual height part I think is lowest priority.
Shorter teens part, I think he means to set a limit of heights of teens so they will never exceed adults. If it's easy to inplement lets make it.
The randomize NPC part would be grate to have for my style of play. I think I saw a loop in the script that reads out sims ID:

In the HeightModule.py
def randomizeHeightIfDefault(sim_info):

There is also two commands, "sa" and "rhall". I think rhall means Random Heights All.
Scholar
#894 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 1:31 AM

This is not the pie menu mod, it's just an update to allow this mod to work with the last patch.
Unzip this file and place the contents in your Mods folder (no further than one subfolder deep). Remove previous versions of the script and sliders. If you prefer to use the altered head size sliders, simply delete Height Slider Short and Height Slider Tall and replace them. Gradual growth is not working, but I believe the other functions to work. If you encounter a problem that you didn't experience before the python patch let me know and I'll see if I can fix it, but I make no promises since I'm not the original modder.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love your pie menu idea. It is brilliant! and so much better than the feet slider. I also am so happy with the script mod. These together are really phenomenal. Please be sure and let me know if you have PayPal or Patron. What you have done is beyond what came before and you deserve compensation for your efforts.
Field Researcher
#895 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 1:58 AM
The gradual height part I think is lowest priority.
Shorter teens part, I think he means to set a limit of heights of teens so they will never exceed adults. If it's easy to inplement lets make it.
The randomize NPC part would be grate to have for my style of play. There is also two commands, "sa" and "rhall". I think rhall means Random Heights All.

I agree that gradual growth is probably lowest priority. Way before that is persistent heights that stay beyond aging up. I'm not sure how easy it is yet to do something so all teens are shorter by default, but I'd also put that above gradual growth.

I think the randomize height is currently broken too, but I'm having a hard time seeing consistent results to be sure. I've tried it several times and sometimes Sims appear to change, sometimes not, but it may be that certain Sims are just 'rolling' the same height multiple times in a row.

Quote: Originally posted by Mendota
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love your pie menu idea. It is brilliant! and so much better than the feet slider. I also am so happy with the script mod. These together are really phenomenal.

You're very welcome! If you downloaded the mod, please re-download the new version I just attached; I think I missed a file in the first upload. Probably wouldn't affect you if you only used the height slider, but just in case
Scholar
#896 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 2:20 AM
I myself never got the point of the persistent growth being important. Short people in teen and child years often turn out to be tall in adulthood and vice versa. So in my opinion that really doesn't matter, and with you pie menu it is so easy to correct anyway.... As far as the grad growth is concerned, I would watch out for that. It makes the mod quite complex and that becomes an issue when update time comes around. This is in part what did Sammy in. It became an issue and he just gave up rather than deal with trying to keep up. Doing too much is what burns a lot of modders out.
Test Subject
#897 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 5:21 AM

ETA2:
Whoops! I think I forgot to include one of the mod's files in the script. If you downloaded v1, please re-download!

Thank you so much ! I been checking in on this mod since the newest update, its the only mod i truly love to play with. I also love the idea of a menu, sounds like a much easier time tbh!
Instructor
#898 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 6:42 AM
Thank you for the updated script. :D!!!
Scholar
#899 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Might try your suggestion because I was using Lumia's Height Slider as an alternative, while it has limitations I didn't like the way they bend at the knees when you shorten them (It's looks nothing like the GIFs animations either), so technically it's just looks like they are only squating down to look shorter, ok maybe a long dress with cover the obvious but it's not worth the hassle.

So reverted back to this one again, and kept the Bulge, hand, heights, neck package, deleted the ts4 script file to prevent LE's and set all sim's that had their height adjusted re-patched to No Age.

While they will keep their height, in the meantime I will no longer be able to change any more heights on future sims.

I do have some programming knowledge but how it keeps the heights just by keeping the packages is so far beyond me, where does it save the data, in package itself, or the Saves folder ?

I willing enough to try adjust them all offline using sim ID numbers...

You asked where the data for sim characters are stored. I did some discoveries tonight.

I used the GODJU1 version of the mod.
I made a household with 8 sims.
I made them all short.
Saved and exited the game.

I did several tests with different combinations of these.
Removed/installed the Save files. Actually I compressed them with 7zip.
Removed/localthumbcache file. Contains the latest played housholds.
Removed/installed the mod.

Without going into detail I ended up having the mod and the save file installed.
My short sim was default height so they are not stored in the Save file and not in the mod.

I entered CAS to correct the settings and continue my game. The portraits of my sims in CAS showed that they was alredy set to short.
Back in game the portraits had changed to short sims.

My conclusion is that data for the characters are in CAS.
That is also quite logical as CAS came out as a separate program before the game.
CAS is written in C++
Game and the original mod is written in C#
UI is in Flash.
Scripts are in python and XML.

Here is the cheat command to set height on a sim:

Quote:
sims.get_sim_id_by_name Travis Scott
Which will return a number:

Then if you want to change Travis Scott height, all you need to do is:
add_slider height 50 882147943886073367

The add_slider command is defined, or whatever, here in the AddSimSlider.py file
@sims4.commands.Command("add_slider", command_type=sims4.commands.CommandType.Live)

Strange that if you set something via the script it is not stored in CAS in the the same way as setting it in CAS.
Scholar
#900 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 3:48 PM
Many, many thanks for the updated mod, tedw! I've been using Simmy's mod since he released it - and its subsequent updates - so I am totally grateful you've done this for the python breaking patch, as I couldn't play my game without it
Also, the menu idea is awesome! It is much tidier - and easier than typing the command for each sim. I also agree that custom heights would be great, too, as I usually have my adult sims as height 15 or 20 most of the time...
Looking forward to whatever progress you make, and am in full support 100%!

...Titanium white...
Page 36 of 44