Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 3:03 AM
Default a medium sized house i need a little help with
this was my third rejected download so im going to post this here lol. this was a house that i really thought was ready but i was told that it needs just a little bit more work. so if anyone has any feedback i'd really appreciate it. i also called it "keeping up with the jones'?" because i think it's a middle class house but could still be used to impress the neighbors.below are some photos of the property.
in the photos the roof looks stretched but it's not really like that.

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 3:24 AM
ditch the auto roof, house needs some color outside, change up the flower colors, ground cover, backyard. lot has way to much empty space.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...ofing_Tutorials

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...aping_Tutorials
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 3:35 AM
well i actually made the roof myself lol. i was going to add a pool but i didn't want the cost to go up to high but i guess it couldn't hurt. i've never been really good at making gardens that other people would like so a pool would really take up some space. thank you for the feedback
Instructor
#4 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 5:04 AM
One thing I would suggest is that you use the create-a-style feature. Many of the items in the house from furniture to walls and floors seem to be default selections available in-game. This does tend to make even the best houses appear EAish. Choose a color scheme and use it. You can either write down the values (on the # tab) or the Hex number to apply the same colors to various patterns and pieces. This will not only make you house seem more unique, but it will also provide a nice flow from room to room.

I hope this helps. Happy Simming!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 5:22 AM
i usually do choose my own colors with the houses i plan on playing, but since this was just an upload project i didn't pay much attention to it. thank you so much!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 6:18 AM
I would second all of the suggestions you have so far. The roof might work just fine if you reduce the slope angle.

Quote:
...but since this was just an upload project i didn't pay much attention to it.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!!

Upload houses need to be something special. It doesn't matter if you play a 'default', no style house. It definitely matters if you want to make a quality upload.

I think you have a good basic floor plan. The doors & windows work well. I do think the roof will work with a bit of angle adjustment. I like the furniture style & placement in the living room. When you give it some pizazz with CAST it will become quite striking & it looks nicely functional. (You did remember fire alarms here and in kitchen, didn't you? IMO, It is so disgusting to be playing a 'finished' house and have half of it go up in flames. Some people feel the same way about burglar alarms.)

Definitely get rid of the white walk to the front door. UCK! This could only work on an ultra-modern home -- and this one isn't. A gently curving, terrain painted rock walk would be nice. Accent the curves with a shrub or a few flowers. The white exterior paint on the house doesn't work well for my particular taste. A brick wall on the first floor and siding on the second would match the house style -- and definitely move the color off blazing white. A subtle bit of color -- orange/tan, or light gray looks so much better and more natural than in-your-face white. Brick on 2nd floor would also work.

Personally, I wouldn't put in a pool for exactly the reason you stated -- cost. I'd suggest adding a small porch off the kitchen that directs the sims to a nice patio area (terrain painted). A grill and outdoor table/chair would not add tremendously to price, but would give it some definition.

The landscaping in the front is okay, in a very uptight, unimaginative way. The little upright cypresses at the garage doors look nice, and the mounded flowers below the windows work nicely. As mentioned before, the walk is the real problem. There is no apparent landscaping on sides & back. Repeat the yellow shrubs on the side -- but this time group an odd number of them (3 or 5) away from the house & close to the property line. Add a rock or two and a bit of terrain paint to make them look natural and fitting. Do the something similar a time or two in the back -- but don't stick everything in the corners or middle. The patio area suggested before will go a long way to finishing off the back. Repeat a couple of flowers from the front grouped casually at an edge of the patio.

When you take the floor plan pics, get as close as you can to eliminate the neighboring lots.

P.S. don't forget to CAST the mailbox. A 'keeper-upper' would definitely have a designer mail box.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 2:15 PM
Firstly: I like the layout. There's plenty of room for sims to move about and it won't be too cramped. I think you've got a really good start and with a few tweaks it will look great, but I can understand why it was rejected. I realise some of this stuff has already been mentioned but hopefully it will be useful to hear different opinions!

- Roof angle. I know you said that the roof angle looks stretched in the photos so I'm interested to see how it really does look. I think the ability to edit the angle of individual bits of the roof came in the latest patch - that is mega handy and I highly recommend having a play around with it.
- CASt. Definitely use CASt as much as possible. At the moment, because most of the stuff is default styles, it does look a little bland and mismatched. When someone downloads a lot they normally do so because it is something they couldn't build themselves, or they don't want to spend the time building and designing a lot. This is why it's important to use CASt - if all the stuff in there is just default styles then really it's not that much different from what any simmer could do and is less likely to inspire people to download. If you get stuck for inspiration try googling 'modern living rooms' or 'traditional kitchens' etc to get ideas of colours and styles and layout.
- Furniture. You seem to have the basic furniture needed in each room but not much else so atm they look a little empty. I think you should add some decorative items in empty spots - plants, statues, paintings, curtains etc to brighten it up and add to the realism.
Try using different furniture in the rooms rather the same stuff in the same styles as you have currently. For example, upstairs you have four bedrooms with the exact same furniture in each room. Try thinking of the kind of people who would live in a house like this and then decorate accordingly. In a 4-bed you'd probably have parents and their three kids. Usually the parents would have the master bedroom so you'd want that to look mature. Maybe they've got a teenage son, a child daughter and a toddler. So, you could make one bedroom look like a teenager lives there: lots of posters on the walls, funky ornaments, colour etc. The other for a child with toys and stuff (the 'theme' category in CASt is excellent for kids) and the final room for a toddler with a crib, mobile, potty etc.
- Landscaping. The landscaping could be improved a little. Make use of 'moveobjects' when placing plants as you can place them closer together that way giving a more realistic look. If you're adding plants try putting an earthy terrain paint underneath - like when you see a tree in a garden it won't be rich, lush grass all the way up to the trunk.
I would also be consistent with the outdoor flooring at the front: use either floor tiles or a terrain paint, but not both.
Perhaps try doing something to the rear of the house, like adding a patio with a BBQ, maybe a couple of sun loungers. Again, think of who might live in this house - if you think the owners would have kids maybe add a swing and a football. A fence to close off the back garden would look good as well.
- General. If you're ever trying to make a house and you just have no idea what to do with a certain part then google is your best friend. You can get some really good ideas that way. Sometimes when I'm stuck I just have to leave it for a bit and come back to it later.
Pick a theme for each room. It makes it so much easier to decorate.
Before you try to upload it make sure you've moved a sim in and tested it out, that way you get a feel of how it is to play the house and if anything needs to be moved etc.

I hope these suggestions were helpful, as I said before I think it's a really good start and with a bit of work will look really good. I'm looking forward to seeing what alterations you've made
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 3:55 PM
well i already had a BBQ are i just didn't show a photo of it lol. i changed the roof, added a lot of plants outdoors and a fence. i changed the look indoors and changed the rooms. i also added a bathroom downstairs. i never thought about landscaping adding to the look of the house but it really does. the exterior paint is also changed. thank you all the people that responded, the suggestions really helped. so here it is

Scholar
#9 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 6:52 PM
Much better! My only suggestions would be to extend / add a roof - perhaps in a different style - over your front entry. If you look at real houses, they rarely are open like yours is in the entry area. The landing area upstairs is also quite large and empty. Perhaps add a library area or game table / recreation area - something you might see in a real house.
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 11:48 PM
This is just a pet=peeve of mine, but could you move the frig down a tile or two. Right now it is in front of a window.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 12:02 AM
Much nicer.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 12:27 AM
It looks so much better, especially the outside. The landscaping is a massive improvement and the new paint looks great. My only niggle is that some of the rooms still look a bit empty - like the hallway and the landing - SimmyRN's suggestion about a library or game area is a good one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 1:40 AM
refrigerator is moved over, entrance is changed, and i added a statue and mirror in he downstairs hallway and upstairs i added a library and some paintings on the wall.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 5:09 PM
That loads better! I don't have any more suggestions.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 5:14 PM
I would suggest not to make everyroom look completly cube there needs to be some kind or variation in how the rooms are structured... just a pointer because when i make my houses even from head i still make sure it has some realism unless your not going for that ? nice outside though :-)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#16 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 5:17 PM
A lot of the rooms still seem quite empty to me - you could go bowling in that upstairs hallway, and the upstairs bathroom is HUGE, with three baths, four sinks, and two toilets. The craft room with two easels seems quite empty too. More plants, statues, decorations, rugs, etc., will help make the rooms seem less empty, IMO.

IMO, I wouldn't call this medium sized but quite a large house - it's not a huge mansion but it's still large, and the way it's built inside is BIG (the master bedroom has seating for five, plus the bed, and two tvs!). Perhaps try sizing the entire thing down - and don't make any one room larger than 5x5 - bathrooms no larger than 4x4.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 7:30 PM
the only way i could see to get rid of the big hallway was to make the upstairs smaller. i made all three children's rooms smaller and the garage smaller as well. i added a balcony upstairs and placed two desks in the "craft room" . i couldn't see how i could add some design to the rooms so they're still cubes lol.

the bathroom upstairs is actually two bathrooms. i put walls up this time and maybe it will be more visible. i couldn't see how to size down the master bedroom either without making the bathroom bigger . downstairs i couldn't see how to size it down either. white rooms are larger than the one in this house as well as kitchens. i guess i would have to just demolish the whole thing and start over if it still seems to be too big.

i didn't want to add to many sculptures because of the price and some don't seem to fit this type of house. and i don't know, if i saw this house in real life i'd be tempted to call this medium sized lol. here are the new screens.

Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: contains useful info for noob lot builders (#7)