Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 2:23 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Lot Crashing After Cleaning Lot with Lot Compressor
I am trying to move some previously played lots from one hood to another because the original hood is likely corrupted. I want to avoid moving that corruption to the new hood, but I also want to salvage some of the lots I made in the previous hood to avoid having to rebuild them all.

At first, I had planned on using the StayThingsShrub so that the Buy Mode items would stay after moving the sim resident out. After reading that there would still be references to sims after move out, I also used the Lot Compressor that came with SimPE to make sure the lot didn't have any lingering sim remains. Despite both of these mods / programs, the lots where I used the shrub would crash the game when I exited them (after using the lot compressor). I restored the backup and tried again without the shrub and I had no problems . . . until now. I had a lot that was a residential lot and the resident had a community lot business. I had the sim sell the business back to the community, moved a lot of personal items (like career rewards) into her inventory, and then moved her out. I ran the Lot Compressor on both lots, and then I noticed both lots will crash when exiting / saving. The one time it didn't crash, the whole neighborhood had a lot of pink flashing objects.

I haven't come across anyone who has had trouble with either the StayThingsShrub or the Lot Compressor, so I assume it is something I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. I am also including a crash report if it will help.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2021.01.05 19.28.40.txt (16.3 KB, 3 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 3:53 AM
The Lot Compressor is for shrinking lots, it doesn't clean them. Were you thinking of Chris Hatch's Lot Cleaner mod?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
The Lot Compressor is for shrinking lots, it doesn't clean them. Were you thinking of Chris Hatch's Lot Cleaner mod?

That does make sense. I have read so many posts and threads, so I can't remember where I saw this, but I thought I read somewhere that the Lot Compressor could be used to delete sim references on lots and it had been recommended for cleaning lots.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 4:18 AM
According to the description, the Lot Compressor only deletes images, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone mistakenly thought it also cleaned sim references. I'm also not 100% sure that the Lot Cleaner is guaranteed to get all the sim references or if it's possible that there is something it doesn't get, so I would ask @Chris Hatch about that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Harrahboy
That does make sense. I have read so many posts and threads, so I can't remember where I saw this, but I thought I read somewhere that the Lot Compressor could be used to delete sim references on lots and it had been recommended for cleaning lots.

My tutorial on cleaning lots.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188 and yes you are correct, it is the Lot Compressor.
Scroll down to method 2, Lot Compressor with add on by Chris Hatch. Shrinking lots is done with Lot Adjuster.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 5:02 AM
The only Lot Compressor I know of is this one: https://modthesims.info/d/426409/lot-compressor.html which clearly states that it shrinks the file size of lots by deleting images from the files. It does not shrink the actual lots in-game, which is what the Lot Adjuster does.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 7:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
The only Lot Compressor I know of is this one: https://modthesims.info/d/426409/lot-compressor.html which clearly states that it shrinks the file size of lots by deleting images from the files. It does not shrink the actual lots in-game, which is what the Lot Adjuster does.

If you check my tutorial you will see a link to the file that Chris made. It's an add on to the Lot Compressor for cleaning lots of sim references. Meaning it doesn't have to be done by hand in SimPE anymore.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 9:51 PM
Ahh, well, neither you nor the OP actually mentioned that plugin, so I'm not sure how I was supposed to infer you were talking about it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 1:08 AM
I actually remember looking at joandsarah77's tutorial and there was a link there to SimPE shared by Chris Hatch. I did not download the Lot Compressor separately. It appeared after downloading SimPE. Does that mean the Lot Compressor add-on should be included or do I need to include something else? I have downloaded the Lot Cleaner, but I have not tested it out yet.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 1:54 AM
I actually remember looking at joandsarah77's tutorial and there was a link there to SimPE shared by Chris Hatch. I did not download the Lot Compressor separately. It appeared after downloading SimPE. Does that mean the Lot Compressor add-on should be included or do I need to include something else? I have downloaded the Lot Cleaner, but I have not tested it out yet.

You need simPE, the Lot Compressor and Chris Hatch's add on to the Lot Compressor.

Add his file to your SimPE folder and use the Lot Compressor to clean the lot.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 4:53 AM
I have tested out the Lot Cleaner and the Lot Compressor with the add-on. I was able to get the previously owned community lot to save without crashing (sometimes, when it didn't crash, there would be a lot of pink flashing objects all over the neighborhood, but that did not seem to happen this last time either). The main lot is still causing the game to crash. I am wondering if there is something the Lot Cleaner and Lot Compressor are not removing that is corrupted on this lot.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 5:48 AM
I have tested out the Lot Cleaner and the Lot Compressor with the add-on. I was able to get the previously owned community lot to save without crashing (sometimes, when it didn't crash, there would be a lot of pink flashing objects all over the neighborhood, but that did not seem to happen this last time either). The main lot is still causing the game to crash. I am wondering if there is something the Lot Cleaner and Lot Compressor are not removing that is corrupted on this lot.

To get into a lot that doesn't want to load even after cleaning it of sim references try
1. Package and install it into a new game. (rename your sims 2 folder to force a new one)

2. In neighbourhood open the cheat window and try loadLot "Lot Name". eg loadLot "5 Burk Street"
If that does nothing try turning on boolprop testingcheatsenabled true and try the load lot cheat again.

If you get it to load use the Lot Cleaner globe on it to get rid of any other bugs.
Also by Chris Hatch. https://app.box.com/s/zqpm2wwdcmryzdv096rkl4asx0naby7s You have to be able to load the lot to use this tool though.
You want no sims on the lot.
Find it in the catalogue for $400. I normally click and wave it a bit, but I believe just clicking it in the catalogue is enough.
Save the lot and go back to hood view.
Reload the lot and move one item like a chair and place back down and save.
Hopefully the lot is now fixed.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 12:42 AM
I am able to load the lot, but I cannot exit the lot without problems. I used the Lot Cleaner globe you suggested and followed the instructions. It doesn't crash as often, but it does frequently (not always) return to the neighborhood screen (after saving and exiting the lot) with a lot of pink flashing objects.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 3:00 AM
I am able to load the lot, but I cannot exit the lot without problems. I used the Lot Cleaner globe you suggested and followed the instructions. It doesn't crash as often, but it does frequently (not always) return to the neighborhood screen (after saving and exiting the lot) with a lot of pink flashing objects.

Ah, well pink flashing is another issue altogether and yes it will cause crashing. There are many things that help with the game running out of texture memory-which is what pink flashing is. Do you have the 4 gb patch and the graphic rules done? That is the starting point, but also checking through your cc as you may have reached your limit. Right now I have and I am trying to reduce by reducing texture sizes of hair etc. Lots of hood deco and water also pushes the game towards pink flashing so something as simple as removing the amount of hood deco may help.
There are many helps for pink flashing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftz_6fjYp4

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 7:18 AM
I have applied the graphics rules changes, but I have always had trouble with the 4GB patch. I have tried to install it and it says it worked, but the config file still says 2048 instead of 4096. I discussed this in a previous thread (https://modthesims.info/m/showthread.php?t=649376). I was told to use the CFF Explorer to confirm it worked when the config file didn't update. The CFF Explorer confirmed that it worked, but I have never been able to get the config file to show 4096.