Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#2426 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 2:42 AM
I love that unicorn.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2427 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 3:22 AM
wow... nice to see that the unicorns will not always be white and sparkly.
Test Subject
#2428 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 3:51 AM Last edited by pluupy : 28th Sep 2011 at 4:20 AM.

...well at least they...tried...

Honestly, I don't understand EA's thinking here. Most dog breeds recognized by the AKC have very defining features. (probably the only reason why the AKC does recognize them, really) I seriously hope they work on the anatomy of these dogs breeds. The Bedlington Terrier looks like a lamb, the Papillion needs to have the "butterfly ears", and there needs to be an option to make the fur longer to make dog breeds such as the Briad, Bearded Collie, and Puli. And who's the silly person who placed Pitbulls and Greyhounds as "small dog" but Bedlington Terrier as "Large Dog"?!
Eminence Grise
#2429 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 4:22 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 28th Sep 2011 at 5:21 AM.
If they had supported the distinctive features of every dog breed in CAP, they would have had to make a new slider for every single one of those features. Not saying they COULDN'T have, or SHOULDN'T have, but CAP would have wound up way more complex than it already is... not to mention development time. I'm sure an economic decision was made at some point to stop adding sliders.

They might have been better served to just omit the breeds from the breeds list that aren't fully supported by the sliders they did, to avoid this kind of frustration :/

Buuuut the modding community has a good grasp on adding sliders... so I would encourage anybody who really really wants to make a currently unsupported (or badly supported) breed to start learning how to make custom sliders http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...d_Custom_Slider http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=379878

And since we have pet "clothes" in the form of collars and tackle, I don't see any obstacle in principle to adding other features like beards, horns, wings or what have you Not that I have any idea how to do this personally, lol... anybody who wants to follow up on it should probably head over to the CAS Parts forum under Create
Lab Assistant
#2430 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 4:49 AM
:stares at the unicorn: Yeeeeeeessssss... Black Unicorn FTW!
Scholar
#2431 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 5:08 AM
So, wait... Unicorns don't have to have beards? :D

That just made my day. That unicorn is so beautiful. =)

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Test Subject
#2432 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
If they had supported the distinctive features of every dog breed in CAP, they would have had to make a new slider for every single one of those features. Not saying they COULDN'T have, or SHOULDN'T have, but CAP would have wound up way more complex than it already is... not to mention development time. I'm sure an economic decision was made at some point to stop adding sliders.

They might have been better served to just omit the breeds from the breeds list that aren't fully supported by the sliders they did, to avoid this kind of frustration :/

Buuuut the modding community has a good grasp on adding sliders... so I would encourage anybody who really really wants to make a currently unsupported (or badly supported) breed to start learning how to make custom sliders http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...d_Custom_Slider http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=379878

And since we have pet "clothes" in the form of collars and tackle, I don't see any obstacle in principle to adding other features like beards, horns, wings or what have you Not that I have any idea how to do this personally, lol... anybody who wants to follow up on it should probably head over to the CAS Parts forum under Create

True. It's just fur and the anatomical features that prevent full breed distinction for the dogs.
Really, It hurts my heart to be able to paint a dog but not get that last defining feature.

Inventor
#2433 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 6:24 AM
So we can't change the nose color?

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Theorist
#2434 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Not fond of the music..sounds pretty much like the music they had before, game show music. Not that I was expecting anything different. I had hoped they would have a new radio station with country music to go with the western theme.

Actually there is a new country radio station as well as R&B and songwriters. That's only the composed music there. Unfortunately EA hardly ever sells the radio music.

@Freelance Wolf - I love Mightyena! Are you going to upload it to the exchange, or to MTS when a pets section is added?

About collections, it was a while back but I kept forgetting to mention that Graham tweeted that future store sets will have collection files for them. The only thing is that it doesn't seem like you can import your own pictures for the collection icons like in TS2. Otherwise I'm glad it's being brought back. I had a feeling we were getting them soon because of the filters and even with those decorating has become more and more annoying for me. I'm happy about the name generator too, it already feels weird going back to the regular game and not seeing the die above the names in CAS.
Scholar
#2435 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 10:12 AM
Well I guess it was inevitable. EA is so shocked to see all the positive responses for upcoming exp pack, that they needed to protect their hard earned reputation by creating a Demo From Hell to mess with us
Test Subject
#2436 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 10:22 AM
I can't wait for the sims 3 pets <3 the screen captures look amazing!
Test Subject
#2437 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=Shimrod101]My first Unicorn sighting:

hhhmmmm...its cool that its not all sparkly...and it seems to be horny...err...wait...i mean horned...but wheres the beard?...i can't tell if its got fetlocks or not...did E.A. drop those details?...or is this maybe a uni-half breed?...or maybe just an incomplete version due to it being in a demo?...either way its not overly "cutesy"...and thats a relief
Inventor
#2438 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 10:45 AM
I have to say I don't think I'll miss werewolves so much anymore! As much as I loved werewolves, the unicorn looks really cool. I like the rainbow effect when it drinks, and how not all of them are going to be white and bearded. The black unicorn is really pretty

Also, is it just me or is the unicorn's mane more shiny and silky looking than a regular horse's?
Rubric Wrangler
#2439 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 1:28 PM
Couldn't agree more, pluupy. Also, wth is the Black Russian Terrier doing in small dogs?! For starters, their attempt to make a BRT is pathetic, it looks nothing like one. Secondly, and far more perplexing, BRT's are HUGE, they can easily exceed 100 lb! "Small dog" my ass.

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Field Researcher
#2440 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 2:56 PM Last edited by Freelance Wolf : 28th Sep 2011 at 3:21 PM.
As neat as those unicorns look, I still want my werewolves back. They're my favourite mythical animal next to dragons and gryphons. It kind of sucks because vampires have made it in every Sims game, but not werewolves? I hate vampires.

Anyway, every pet I make gets uploaded to the Exchange as soon as I post them here so you can grab them all right now if you want instead of waiting until the ep comes out. I will only upload a couple of them here though, the ones that more closely resemble the cartoons.

Oddly, I wonder why EA didn't bother adding llamas to the game but I guess they don't like llamas as much as Maxis does.

OOPS I forgot my profile on Sims 3 isn't the same name as on here. No wonder everybody is asking. My page is here . I'll also add it to my sig.
Scholar
#2441 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smokepanther
hhhmmmm...its cool that its not all sparkly...and it seems to be horny...err...wait...i mean horned...but wheres the beard?...i can't tell if its got fetlocks or not...did E.A. drop those details?...or is this maybe a uni-half breed?...or maybe just an incomplete version due to it being in a demo?...either way its not overly "cutesy"...and thats a relief

I'm assuming that there is just variation in them. They can be black or white, and they can have a beard or not have a beard.

I hope anyway.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Lab Assistant
#2442 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 4:08 PM
*Gasps*
IDEAR!
What if we can bathe pets with the sprinkler?!
Even if we couldn't, it would be a mod I would download.

CHOCKLAT.
Instructor
#2443 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 6:11 PM
I love that Unicorns can be more elegant and less of a cotten candy vomit colored mess. but I agree Freelance Wolf I still am dissapointed in the lack of werewolfs. they could have given us both and I will be very disapointed it they are not added in a later game.
Forum Resident
#2444 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PhenethyaSim
I love that Unicorns can be more elegant and less of a cotten candy vomit colored mess. but I agree Freelance Wolf I still am dissapointed in the lack of werewolfs. they could have given us both and I will be very disapointed it they are not added in a later game.

I do have a bit of an idea on what to do to maybe mod a "shape shifter" (even though they're not werewolves, but this is the best I can think of without it being impossible).
What I think might be possible to do is once we get pets is maybe create a trait and then use the Imaginary Friend type of animation to have the sim be able to turn into a dog when you click on it.
This seems to be the most basic way to make a shape shifter mod, but I can already see that it will be complex alone like this. There could also be the creation of using the vampire bite interaction to "give" a normal sim the shape shifter trait and have it be hereditary.
The biggest issue I could see though is when the Sim turns into the dog form, how we have it as a specific dog (like a wolf/husky) and not something like a Chihuahua.
Eminence Grise
#2445 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by birdyfly
I do have a bit of an idea on what to do to maybe mod a "shape shifter" (even though they're not werewolves, but this is the best I can think of without it being impossible).
What I think might be possible to do is once we get pets is maybe create a trait and then use the Imaginary Friend type of animation to have the sim be able to turn into a dog when you click on it.
This seems to be the most basic way to make a shape shifter mod, but I can already see that it will be complex alone like this. There could also be the creation of using the vampire bite interaction to "give" a normal sim the shape shifter trait and have it be hereditary.
The biggest issue I could see though is when the Sim turns into the dog form, how we have it as a specific dog (like a wolf/husky) and not something like a Chihuahua.

It's an interesting idea. Guess you could also use it to make cat people Witches that transform into their familiars, and so on.

The biggest issue I could see is having the game know that this is a shapeshifted sim... and not just a dog. Pets have only three traits, no LTWs, no careers, etc etc... you'd have to throw away a lot of the data associated with the sim when it becomes a dog, and then restore it when it transforms back. But maybe you could just keep the original sim around invisibly and just create the illusion that the dog was the "same" sim. In other words, there might be some clever way around this

If you work it out, let me know. I want to make a were-womrat Or... a frog prince!
Test Subject
#2446 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 7:27 PM
Wonder if the "dig spots" are just like the dig spots in WA, or if they're different? Will dogs find WA dig spots?

For some reason that made me think about taking a vacation with my pets.

My family is really attached to our pets, but my Cats hate everything so my Dog goes with us wherever we go , but I doubt that will be an option to take them to China or someplace with us.
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, maybe not, but when you take a vacation doesn't time stop in your neighborhood?
I had a teenage sim who went on vacations like every two days and she never got in trouble for attendance or anything..
If you DO go, (and my above statement is wrong) and don't have the option to take them, would you have to put the animals in a Kennel, or leave them at home and pray not to come back to a urine/feces infested trash heap...

BEST FRIENDS FOREVER.

....Nothing lasts Forever..
Forum Resident
#2447 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 7:39 PM
It's an interesting idea. Guess you could also use it to make cat people Witches that transform into their familiars, and so on.

The biggest issue I could see is having the game know that this is a shapeshifted sim... and not just a dog. Pets have only three traits, no LTWs, no careers, etc etc... you'd have to throw away a lot of the data associated with the sim when it becomes a dog, and then restore it when it transforms back. But maybe you could just keep the original sim around invisibly and just create the illusion that the dog was the "same" sim. In other words, there might be some clever way around this

If you work it out, let me know. I want to make a were-womrat Or... a frog prince!

Sadly, the most I modded for Sims 3 are TV channels, but I have done scripting before in Unity and have created my own mini games. I would love to try to attempt this though, but obviously it would need to be after Pets has been released and possibly find someone in the modding section that will help me through making this.
Lab Assistant
#2448 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 8:00 PM
Pets get 3 given traits. But you can train two more onto them without replacing those that you gave them. Even those you gave them, depending on the trait can be replaced. For example the destructive trait could be taken away by reinforcing that it's a bad thing to do thus making the trait change to non-destructive.

I've been re-saving my pet family to the bin with my sim when I'm done playing the demo because of the skills they gained while they were out, hunting (both cat and dog) and the riding skill. Those that had a learned trait from doing certain actions repeatedly are placed back in the world from the sim bin no longer has it set as if they just learned it but now have it set like the normal three traits.

Been enjoying leveling my pets skills even to the point that my horses have the running 20,000 meters achievement in the Riding skill lol.

Edit: Also Spirit has five traits from the constant moving I do with him now. The other animals in that family have about four traits now.
Mad Poster
#2449 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nekonyami
Also, is it just me or is the unicorn's mane more shiny and silky looking than a regular horse's?

There is actually a glow around the entire Unicorn animal, which can't be seen that well on the black animal; it gives this silky look as you say. On the white animal it looks terrible, IMO, the animal is simply blurry or foggy looking.

Oh, I don't know if it's been reported or not by anyone, but an improvement with the adoption of pets, compared to kids. In the demo my sim lost his pets once to the social worker people, because of neglect. I called on the phone later to see about adopting a new one and my three pets were there! So it should be possible in the real game to get back pets one has lost to those rascally people.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Instructor
#2450 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 10:01 PM
I've been playing demo a bit, and I've never seen a Unicorn, or a skunk. How long do you have to play to get them? Is there any way to save and load the game correclly? It's kind of creepy that I have to start over every time I play Demo.
Locked thread
Page 98 of 100