Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Majors Made Easier

by FrikaC Posted 1st Dec 2005 at 10:49 AM - Updated 29th Sep 2011 at 6:32 AM by FrikaC : Clarified some of the text

144 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 126 Feedback Posts, 17 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 6
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Do you mean you can't find the penant?

Thanks for the quick response. I found the penant. I was looking under Decorative->Misc and didn't see it there. I did find it under Decorative->Wall Hangings.
Test Subject
#27 Old 25th Dec 2005 at 8:38 AM
Yayness! It's a mystery to me that Maxis didn't make it easier to access custom majors (didn't they know we'd hack them anyway?) but this makes my life easier. I'm lazy as all get out, and if it means opening SimPE in-game, I can't be bothered. Thanks a bunch!
Test Subject
#28 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 12:29 AM
So far MajorsMadeEasier and more than 1 of any custom major makes my game freeze.

At this moment i have MajorsMadeEasier and the 6 aspiration majors by whiterider in my downloads and those files are the only files installed into my Sims 2 so i know that it is nothing else except this and those custom majors causing the game to freeze.

I create a student, then i select a dorm, then i select a door room for my student, the cook shows up, the 1st student after mine comes along and just about when the 2nd student would show up it does the freeze for a few seconds and then moves for a second and repeat, it is stupid. I know that those combined files are the culprit cause when i remove them the freezing doesn't happen.

I was looking forward to using custom majors in my game but i guess i am stuck without them.
Test Subject
#29 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 5:19 PM
Dude, you RAWK! Thanks ever so much!! I've been shying away from having to go through the SimPE route so your hack makes my life! YES! Thank you thank you thank you!

And, I think it's very nice of you to help your land lady with the trash. :D
Field Researcher
#30 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 5:21 PM
OMG, you just made my game more fun. I wasn't using any custom majors at all due to all the work I was forced to do to use them. But now that I found this...I can use them. I have so wanted to try out several of the majors that I have seen. thank you so very much. you are my hero, lol.

Now, if i'm understanding this right, with this mod in my downloads folder, all i have to do is put my majors in my downloads folder (in a subfolder of course) and place the pennant? on the wall and i can click on it to select any major? but this has to be placed on a university lot, correct?
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 11:52 PM
wow, you'll never know how much I love you :jaw:

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
#32 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 8:06 PM
I can't find it in my game...Could this be because I have nightlife installed?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#33 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 2:25 PM
No, it couldn't. So long as you've unzipped the file and put it your downloads folder (or used that Q-Xpress Install thingy, I really should read the thread about that) then just go into your buy catalogue in a university dorm/house, look in the decorative section and then in Wall hangings, you should see the penant right there!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
#34 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 10:17 PM
I've put in in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Downloads with all the majors I've downloaded and extracted them all there and it still won't work. Does it need to go in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\Downloads ?? BTW I have got custom content enabled...
Test Subject
#35 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 2:49 PM
There is no spoon
What good is a phone call if you are unable to speak?

I dont really understand why this hack is needed for your sims to use custom majors. But then again I am not even a simple program writer, and I dont even have a job with any company and I cant stand my land lady...so I lose out every turn. ;-)
Test Subject
#36 Old 21st Jan 2006 at 3:12 PM
Stupid question probably, but can't you always pick any major you want?
Sorry, but so many people seem so happy with this. It's making me too curious to just leave this and find something else nice
#37 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 6:43 AM
Thanx, don't know much about mods, but can play lekker now!
#38 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 8:44 AM
:jaw: :jaw: i really like it lol
Test Subject
#39 Old 29th Jan 2006 at 1:04 AM
Wow, this is great ! I love the option 'mod the sims 2'. Great Job !
Test Subject
#40 Old 29th Jan 2006 at 4:59 AM
Hey guys, like the other guy, whenever I have this and any custom major, at 9 AM the game totally freezes. Why is that?

An Apple a day keeps the spyware away!
Test Subject
#41 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 8:25 AM
I have Nightlife and I can't have more than one custom major with this mod. It simply won't load the dorm. Any ideas, suggestions, advice? Please! Or maybe can I install a custom major, choose it, then remove it and register another major with another sim, or do I have to keep all the custom majors in once installed? That would probably work, but it would suck if I can only play the students who are in that one major, and have to reload the game with another one just to switch dorms ...
Test Subject
#42 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 7:34 AM
Well it's starting to look like this thread isn't monitored anymore. :-(
So I did some play testing of my own, and no matter what major I've chosen so far, it's always gotten me the same result - locking up after about an hour. BUT, when I removed all the majors and left only the MajorsMadeEasier file, it didn't freeze up. So, my guess would be, since it's almost ridiculous to think that every single major I've downloaded (over 50) has some kind of problem or is incompatible with Nightlife even when it says otherwise, and since this file alone didn't cause the freeze up to happen, there's probably something wrong somewhere in this file that makes it read the majors files wrong, or something. Some kind of incompatibility between the majors and the MajorsMadeEasier files. I think I'm going to go give SimPE a shot because this thing just doesn't want to work for some reason. <crossing fingers>
Hey, does anyone know if you have to keep this file in the folder once you've selected the major? Like, can you run the game with this in it, choose all your majors, and then just delete this file? Will the game still see the majors without this? I'm betting no ... if nobody has answered, I'll be back with the answer myself eventually.
Anyone else has some input, that'd be great. This is such a cool idea, if I could only get it working!
Test Subject
#43 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 11:52 AM
Hi Coffeezombie,

I have 16 custom majors installed in my Nightlife game and I regularly use this hack. You have to keep the major installed to be able to use it. If I remember correctly if you delete a custom major while your Sim is using it, they will have an undeclared major.

I have found that some custom majors I used with only University installed, caused lots of problems when I installed Nightlife so I had to delete them. I would suggest that you add custom majors to your game one at a time and test them to see what actually works with your game.
Test Subject
#44 Old 13th Feb 2006 at 3:03 AM
I've been doing that. I have nothing else in my download folder except this and one major at a time. Not one of them has worked yet. I'm stumped. I specifically tried to only download the ones that said they were compatible, not just by the creator but by the testers too. They should work, but they don't.

Latest twist: I installed one major that works in one house, but every other house or dorm hangs up within one game hour. That's even weirder.

Sigh. Help? Please?
Test Subject
#45 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 4:42 PM
Thank You I Thank You! <3<3<3
#46 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 12:57 AM
Thanks FrikaC. Really appreciate this ! :D
Test Subject
#47 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 2:07 AM
I have OFB expansion and this causes conflicts it says therefore I cannot use it D:

I have it in the correctly directory..does it not work with OFB?
Test Subject
#48 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 2:18 AM Last edited by Ms. Useless Knowledge : 15th Mar 2006 at 3:16 AM. Reason: Fixed problem
It wasn't working for me with OFB either. My sims with custom careers simply have a blank tab, and the computer doesn't give those sims the option of choosing a new major. They are freshmen, so there is no other reason they couldn't choose a new major.

Please take a look at this - most hacks appear to need a little tweaking in order to work with OFB. This is one of my favorites, so I would love to have it back up and running.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Edited : - I found the problem. I had forgotten to put my custom majors folder back in my downloads after my install of OFB. DUH! Sorry about the confusion. :salute:

I will go and check if it works fine now!

Mistress of Useless Knowledge
Test Subject
#49 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 2:47 AM
Can someone tell me how to install custom careers manually with SimPE?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#50 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 4:44 PM
Ms. Useless Knowledge - did you ever find out? i'd love to test, but I can't afford the ep right now
In my experience, if you have a problem and FrikaC's stopped checking the thread, pm him and he'll help. Don't bombard the poor One though!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Page 2 of 6