Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 *4/29/09*

by dDefinder Posted 27th Jun 2008 at 3:46 PM - Updated 29th Apr 2009 at 1:24 PM by dDefinder : to 2.4

556 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 481 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 23
Field Researcher
#76 Old 13th Jul 2008 at 8:13 AM
Update: So I went ahead and installed it manually, and to my relief, it didn't overwrite my empty templates because the mod only alters one folder in each EP...*ahhh

Anyway, cool mod. Thank you.

HP, I am having the same issue you're having with custom lights being way too bright. Have you found a personal work-around for this? I really want to keep my custom lights in the house for decor reasons, but maybe I can turn them off and use Maxis ceiling lights or something? Any suggestions would be very helpful .

"why everything that's 'posed to be bad make me feel so good???" -kanye west
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#77 Old 13th Jul 2008 at 8:54 AM Last edited by dDefinder : 13th Jul 2008 at 9:06 AM.
@Cati
it is fixable but when I reduced it, it also further reduced how lights were casting when there are multiple windows next to each other. I'll still be trying to find a workaround for this.

@kslibra
I haven't tried reflective floors yet. The shaders shouldn't be conflicting with each other as they are affecting different things. a least what I know.

Changing sealed room shadows will also affect every other shadow darkness in the game. as I find it best to keep it at the desired setting it is already at. This is a limitation with foundations and decks that are treated as a portal. Lighting on the foundation will not affect the walls above or below it. and are your using smarter lightings?

I may have to readjust the outside night global lighting as well as lamps as they will all get affected by this.

No, but that a great idea.

@pseudonymph24
only thing it gets over written is the lights folder. as long as it came directly from the zip. For custom lights you might have to create a new .txt containing the lights objects lighting profile and have it use lighting profiles from RLS instead. I don't know any easier method than this.

@fway
I've tested it and I was unable to get that problem. It was resolved during the pre-beta stage. Re-install the mod and try again.

"High difficulty can lead to Phoenix Down addiction."
Mad Poster
#78 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EpicCheese
Guys like GunMod and dDefinder and Numenor should seriously get jobs with Maxis. This stuff is incredible.

One thing I absolutely LOVE about this mod is the way the outdoor flood lights actually work how they're supposed to! In the screencap there you can see the red lines where the floodlights hit Huge Bill, and the blue lines where they hit the Breadfruit Tree in the background. Previously when I tried to light something big like this up I could light up the knees and not much else no matter how far back I put the light. And the other thing that shocked me is how this mod stops the light from shining BEHIND the light when its pointed in a given direction. Before now it had a normal flood effect like a table lamp but now its really realistic.

One thing I'd like to know is if you could make a mod of these lights (not a global one) so that the light's brightness and intesity stays constant (i.e., lighting up a wall on the third floor from the ground) Not that you have to but I think if you can get this done that's probably just a hop and a skip away.

a potential alternative is to heighten the grid points next to the wall bottom and tops all the way up high to increase such likelihood.
Test Subject
#79 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 11:26 PM Last edited by lovely70 : 17th Jul 2008 at 8:47 AM.
When I go into lots everything is pitch black. I have to put in alot od lights to see. Is this normal? If not how can I fix it?

EDIT: Answered my own question. Changed lighting to high. Hehe, silly me.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#80 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 9:00 AM
Interesting to see this updated again. I used to use it before Seasons but it was d-a-r-k. Now, however, I have a new computer with lots of RAMz, whizzy graphics card and other high end goodies so I'll give it a try again. I've been meaning to reinstall the Scriptorium anyway. Kudos to you (and Numenor).
Test Subject
#81 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 1:26 AM
i've been trying to extract this, but, for some reason everytime i do, it tells me the file is corrupted. i've saved/deleted the compressed about three times.
help?
Mad Poster
#82 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 5:49 AM
mcranberlinhearts,

may clear up the cache of your browser and re-download it. it could have been your browser only copied the first corrupted download from its cache.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 11:41 PM Last edited by greeneyedsims : 19th Jul 2008 at 11:53 PM.
I have to say I was reeeally nervous about installing this. I've used GunMod's 1st Radiance Lighting mod for the longest...but BOY am I HAPPY I installed this one!

The lighting in my game is phenomenal! The stormy weather looks so cloudy, dismal and gray outside. You can tell it's about to storm.

The lighting is soooo realistic inside and outside my homes. I can't stop taking pictures. I especially LOVE the way my Sims' homes look inside at nighttime, now.

This pic was taken around 1 am. I didn't add any brightness to the pic in PSP, either. Just sharpness. And you can see the light still spills over into the livingroom even though there's a floor edge between the kitchen/living.

I use Smarter Lights with this, and it really looks great.

I'm overjoyed with this mod, thank you SO MUCH!

--green

It's a neighborhood legacy
Test Subject
#84 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 8:49 AM
i think i might have done something wrong with the install or before it
this is what i have in my EA games/The Sims 2/Config : backup Maxis lighting
The Sims 2
The Sims 2 Pets
The Sims 2 Seasons
Broadcast.ini
PackageDB.xml
unknowns.txt
userProps.xml
VideoCapture.ini i don't know where to put the user startup cheat file because i can't find the user startup file
Test Subject
#85 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 8:54 AM
i think i might have misunderstood you do i put it in unknowns.txt ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#86 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 12:56 PM
@cheshire_cat
does AnyGameStarter create its own files the in the ea games? I remember putting the lighting files in there to test it on stand alone expansions. Might have been something else though.
@venum4k
do you have The Sims 2, Pets and Seasons inside your config folder? there not suppose to be in there. I don't know what unknowns.txt as it doesn't use that. Check whats inside of it or delete it. If you don't have a userStartup file you can just use the one in the zip.

Field Researcher
#87 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 3:33 PM
I absolutely love the lighting in the game, but sometimes THIS happens to me:

Objects black in a room that should be dark (usually occurs after someone exited it)

Any idea why? It's been happening for the past coupla weeks now, usually in the early morning (between 1am and 4am). I mean, it's a minor annoyance because it never lasts that long, but I would still like to nip it in the bud. FYI: I also have the SmarterLights hack installed, and I have every EP up to FT installed. Lighting and shadows are all on high.

Thanks in advance.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#88 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 9:52 AM Last edited by dDefinder : 30th Jul 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: TYPO
It seems to be an issue with smarter lights. I've noticed without it, lots will light up on both objects and such correctly. Although you will be losing the effects of the new auto lights. You might want to try it without smarter lights and see if it helps.

Field Researcher
#89 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dDefinder
It seems to be an issue with smarter lights. I've noticed without it, lots will light up on both objects and such correctly. Although you will be losing the effects of the new auto lights. You might want to try it with smarter lights and see if it helps.

I figured it was probably SL. You mean try it "without" it? I will remove it and see if it helps. Pity though...the hacks work great together.

Test Subject
#90 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:08 PM
i've got it working mostly (i think)
Test Subject
#91 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:08 PM Last edited by venum4k : 31st Jul 2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: posted too soon
pressed the button before i had decided what to say
Test Subject
#92 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:09 PM
thank you!
Test Subject
#93 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:09 PM
oops sorry
Field Researcher
#94 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 10:57 PM
dDefinder:

Unfortunately, I still get stuff like this with Smarter Lights removed:

Any ideas why? Maybe I should try reinstalling the whole hack again...

Lab Assistant
#95 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 5:15 AM
Default Installing RLS 2.3 on Mac OS X
First of all, a HUGE THANK YOU! to dDefinder for this mod!
I have some great news for Mac OS X users in this post!

Now, I play sims 2 on the mac, and like many users find most mod things like this are not useable for mac and saw no instructions how to install on mac.
But I decided to check out the rest of the post anyways and suddenly had an idea! I tried my idea... and it WORKED. To my amazement, I have this mod installed for sims 2 on the mac!!

Now I will post the instructions and some screenshots of my experience.
Before I go on though, please please please only do this is you 110% understand the instructions. This is for ADVANCED USERS ONLY. Incase you're still not listening *YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK*. I will tell you what to backup so please make sure you do!

My specs are as follows, and are for Mac OS X 10.4.11
VGA: ATI Radeon X1600
Processor: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Expansions: Uni, NL, OFB, Seasons
Please make sure your graphics card can support pixel shader 2.0!
Lighting and Shadows set to high

IMPORTANT NOTES:
I kept boolprop useshaders false in userstartup.cheat, since it was set that way at default. Have not tested it with them on, so once again, at your own risk. Though I doubt it would harm to try it, your screen just might go black.

Also, it is annoying but your computer will prompted when overwriting files for your admin password while performing the instructions. You will need to know what your computer's admin password is.

Do NOT (repeat NOT!) Try to overwrite the folders directly by dragging tsdata onto your previous tsdata . Unlike windows, mac will not just overwrite files with the same name, but the ENTIRE folder (deleting any files within). Doing so may remove an entire expansion pack! This is very avoidable though if you follow the instructions clearly (more on this later).

I don't have any stuff packs, but I think they will appear in macintosh hd/the sims 2/stuff packs OR the expansion packs folder, and will have the same procedure as far as I know. (maybe someone can say something about this?)

I assume you've installed your game to the main hard drive.

Worried yet? Really, this is not so hard but I would like to be thorough.

Instructions to install for Mac OS X (finally!)
1. Backing up:
The following files/folders need/must to be backed up to a separate copy.
(If you are overly paranoid, you can backup your entire sims 2 folder in your Hard Drive and Documents Folder to a DVD which you may have done regularly) ::

[PHP]
Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Config/userStartup.Cheat
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/EXPANSIONNAME/Res/Lights
[/PHP]

Must do that for every expansion pack you have! example:
you have nightlife it would be located at:
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/Nightlife/Res/Lights

2. Now that you have backed up going to edit the userStartup.Cheat manually.
navigate to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Config/userStartup.Cheat
cntrl click > open with > other > find textedit in applications folder
copy paste into the top of the text file:
[php]
#### GUNMOD ####
ignoreErrors true
boolProp UseShaders false
boolProp specHighlights true
boolProp vs2LoopsFunctional true
floatProp geomBoneInfluenceThreshold 0.01
floatProp geomGeneratedTangentSpaceNormalLineLength 0.1
floatProp geomMorphTargetDeltaThreshold 0.001
floatProp geomPerBoneBoundBlendWeightThreshold 0.9
intProp geomGenerateTangentSpaceNormalLines 1
intProp geomMaxBoneInfluencesPerVertex 4
intProp geomMaxMorphTargetDeltasPerVertex 4
boolProp skipTangentsInVertexData false
##boolProp liveCameraConstraints false
boolProp enumerateMultisampleLevels true
boolProp floorAndWallNormalMapping true
boolProp geomCheckGeomDataIntegrity false
boolProp geomGenerateTangentSpaceSxT true
boolProp gpuCompositing true
boolProp bumpMapping true
uintProp lightRadianceRangeCutoff 999999
###
[/php]
Save and Close.

3. Here is the hard part!
First navigate to
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights

Then open the extracted /The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights folder for RLS 2.3 on your desktop.
Copy the files within and replace them with the files in the previous folder.
Do NOT try to drag drop the extracted The Sims 2 folder into your Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/ It will UNINSTALL your game. You may be prompted for admin password.

Repeat this process for the expansion packs but navigate to:
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/EXPANSIONNAME/Res/Lights

You will have to navigate to each single res/lights folder for each expansion pack you own, and replace the files within with the RLS files. (and probably prompted for password every-time) Please try to keep track of it! Luckily I only had four expansions . Whatever you do, do not get lazy and drag drop the folders! You can/will UNINSTALL your expansions if you do that! I can't be held responsible for negligence .

4. Cross your fingers, go in game and behold how amazing :lovestruc

Final notes:
My experience has been wonderful so far, otherwise I wouldn't even bother to post all of this hard work. I know not many people use mac so maybe not even many will try this, because it was some work but really it's harder sounding then it was (but totally worth it!) It does get rather dark at night (when i first started up it was totally dark at night!) and I had to use many more lights then before, but the realism and "Radiance" is so beautiful I'm not sure how I played before without Thank you once again.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#96 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 5:46 PM Last edited by missybrina : 6th Aug 2008 at 8:23 PM.
Lovely mod! I finally got it to install (thanks dd!) And I love it.

My only issues are: As Hp said, some of the lights seem to be to dim. A lot of the maxis candles are dimmer, but I guess that should be that way right?

Whenever I place, let's say a chandelier, and I have a white object nearby, the light is so bright on the white object it washes it out, and hurts my eyes

Finally a custom bathroom I have downloaded, well whenever light changes it makes it flat looking... you can no longer see edges, but just a white blob, until I highlight it. Then it fixes itself, but as soon as time changes again it goes back to be messed up.

Thank you though for the hard work!

edit: there is a picture to show what I'm talking about with the sink.... I thought I had one with the white issue but I guess not
Screenshots
Test Subject
#97 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 9:37 AM
Thank you so much for this mod, it looks lovely in game.

I'm having the same issue as missybrina with certain objects, though. Certain items such as lights and objects sometimes need to be clicked on in build/buy mode to display properly. Also, a few days ago I used "snapobjectstogrid false" in order to place a rug in a better spot. When moving the rug black, smudge-like marks appear on it, as if there were shadows being cast in the wrong places or something. I think this may be to do with the lighting, but I'm unsure.

These issues are infrequent and don't bother me. However, in CAS there is a distinct flicker on sim's faces as they move, which is a little bit distracting.

If anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful for them Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 12:11 PM
@pseudonymph24
As of further testing it's not SL causing this specific problem. It's do the lights that were using broken diffuser lighting. You may need to sell the lights and buy a new one. This doesn't always work as the game will just the diffuser instead excluding practical.

Wall lights that lose their Practical lighting can be fixed by bring the walls up enough to show the light and gain it's practical lighting again. Happens when you are on a lower level and moved up with the wall lights not visible.

Ceiling lights seem to lose their Practical lighting at random for me and affects lots that are not in the neighborhood or are pre-placed lots. I re-buy the light but it won't always fix the problem as it will sometime lose Practical during time transitions.

You don't need to reinstall it. I'm not sure if I can fix this, I'll still be looking into it.

@skygirl22
Wow thanks, very that's useful :D. I'll be linking this.

@missybrina
Yes, but I may recheck candles.

It could be that light is using a "SOFTWHITE" setting that makes the color of the light REALLY white. Going to be adjusting this around a bit and test them.

If a light was pre-placed there it might still be using maxis light settings. You need to re-buy the light.

@march.violets
Does the rug shadow stay there or does it adjust itself when the time of day changes?

Are you using the default CAS screen? It was fixed on 1.4, unless I miss judged my test?

Test Subject
#99 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 9:45 PM
I haven't tested the rug, but will get back to you on that if I get a spare moment.

I'm using default CAS. I used Scriptorium to install the latest version (2.3 ?), and I'm still experiencing flickery lighting in CAS.
Test Subject
#100 Old 11th Aug 2008 at 6:50 AM
I'm having a problem with playing in-game. My sim's face gets dark from time-to-time. I guess it depends on where the ceiling lights are placed above them. I have a screen shot from my story...

Usually the face gets darker than that. I've noticed that the only time my sim's face is lighted normally is if the lights are placed in front of him instead of on the sides and the back. Is there a way I can get this to show correctly?

"I can give you paradise." He said as he grabbed and kissed my right hand. I stared into his dark blue eyes and saw a deep blue ocean. The twinkle in his eyes were the stars. "YOU'RE my paradise", I replied.
Page 4 of 23