Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#28176 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 2:46 PM
You can also use the S2CleanInstaller to check your lot catalog (both the LotCatalog folder and the Neighborhood/Lots folder.) Just direct the upper right search box to the appropriate folder and scan. You will get the lot information (if there is any), names of the lots, and lot numbers - so you can easily track down the specific lot in your folder.

Also, might I suggest: How to Make Maxis Rebuilds/Remodels Permanent

Ninja'd by Fran

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#28177 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 3:00 PM
simmer22, I'm lazy too and I always backup the whole Sims 2 folder, not only the Neighbourhoods folder. I thought it wouldn't hurt to have backups of the whole game folder, the only downside is that it takes a little longer but I can live with that.

I found the LotCatalog folder. I have the numbers up until the cx_00000062 and after that I have a few more which have different "code-names", like cx_Character_cx00000025_11f1177b.package. Is this one of the dowloaded lots I'm looking for? SimPE is not for me unless someone guides me step by step what to do in there, I'm always afraid I'll "break" something
The last time I checked the Houses and Lots bin in the game, I found only one lot, a mall for Strangetown that I downloaded from Pleasant Sims' blog. I know I had already dowloaded all Honeywell's houses, a night club, a graveyard and some other houses from other users here at Mod The Sims. I think that I had a restaurant too but there is only the mall there. I have more "code-names" in the LotCatalog folder below the one I mentioned above but there is nothing else in the game, apart from the EA's lots and the mall from Pleasant Sims, do you know how is this possible? I'll download the houses again when I need them but isn't it weird to have them always disappear?
Mad Poster
#28178 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 3:17 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Sep 2021 at 3:30 PM.
All lots follow the same pattern in that folder, so no.

The "cx_Character_cx00000025_11f1177b.package" type files are not lots - they have the sims that follow the Pets ingame lots.

Just opening files and clicking the various resources to have a look at them shouldn't cause any problems, but if you're worried, you can copy the file to the desktop and open the copy - it's the least likely place that file or any edits of it can cause issues. This is usually what I do if I'm extracting something from one of the install files or editing files I'm afraid to mess up.

The resources of interest are the "jpg/tga/png Image (IMG)" which has the lot outlay and "Text Lists (STR#)" or "Lot Definition (LOTD)" which both have the name of the lot.
Mad Poster
#28179 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 3:24 PM
The files with "character" in the name involve the Kat and Kim lots. If you have downloaded any other lots with sims in them you should not use them.

You can greatly alleviate your fear of breaking things with SimPE if you make a back up of your game files before opening it. That way, even if you do break something, you can always go back. Nor can you break anything with simple typos or anything like that, as saving in SimPE is a two-step process: you have to commit, then save. There is no automatic saving. Tutorials are all well and good, but given the differences among systems and between versions of a program, I always find it's easiest to learn a few basics about a program and then go in and noodle around with it. Go wild with it in a test hood and you'll soon be comfortable.

The disappearance of lots from the lot bin is very weird indeed. The random duplication of lots is far more common. I have no advice on that score, but I do suggest that, instead of constantly redownloading, you make backup files of every lot you download, so that all you have to do in order to get a lot back is open the backup folder and double click the pack again.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#28180 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 3:27 PM
simmer22, I realized that right now. I did what CatherineTCJD suggested and searched the LotCatalog with CleanInstaller. These files are the Kat and Kim families just like you say, so the lots I have downloaded over and over are not there, so there is something I'm doing wrong when I download them or I do something else afterwards but what?

EDIT: Peni Griffin, the houses I had dowloaded don't have sims in them. I only download sims with lots when I download whole custom user-made hoods. Right now, I have Riverside, the hoods from Sims Life stories and Pet stories and Sunset Valley for the sims 2 in my game but I don't think you talk about whole hoods, right? I'll follow your advise and save the houses/community lots when I'll need to download them again. Thank you for helping me!
Mad Poster
#28181 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 3:34 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Sep 2021 at 4:11 PM.
Also check that the lot appears in both the Teleport folder before you run your game and in the LotCatalog after you've run your game.

Since you have the UC, have you checked that the Clean Installer actually installs the lot files? I know I had to edit the settings in the "S2PCI" file in the CI install folder to set up the program properly.

Should be something like this (but check the path and substitute the all-caps with whatever username you have, the location could be different for you depending on Windows version or install location for the game)

[CONFIG]
AutoInstallLotFiles=False
SaveGamePath="C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection"

[Subfolders]

(This one had similar issues as you, I added a few additional tips there --> https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=660245 )
----

The duplication effect most likely happens if lots are installed twice. The default installer would probably do this since it renames files, but I'm not sure if the Clean Installer does it since it recognizes duplicates (most cases, anyway).
Lab Assistant
#28182 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 7:18 PM
Thank you CatherineTCJD and sushigal007 for the help.
Scholar
#28183 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 2:04 AM
Is there some tutorial or something for setting up weddings for picture taking (on community lots)? I have such a hard time getting the timing right. Like usually not everyone is seated before the animation starts. Also all the unwanted townies/NPCs walking in photobombing the event. I've tried the visitor controller but that removes the guests too. Same problem when using things like the simlogical teleporter. Even if you invite the guests as a group, they aren't safe from being cleared off as well. I just gave up on this one wedding for today because I couldn't get everything harmonized. Even paused and directed everyone to sit individually but then when I unpaused they all reset. Argh.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Theorist
#28184 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 6:39 AM
First thing that comes to mind are poseboxes with sitting poses and using moveObjects (in combo with dormSpecificToolsDisabled if on community lots) to get rid of unwanted townies. Perhaps even deleting the pedestrian portals using Portal Revealer, and then putting those back after you're done taking pictures. Do try to play with testingCheatsEnabled off though, because you may get errors otherwise because of the portals missing.
Scholar
#28185 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 10:25 AM
Finally got that wedding over with, though I did see something that makes me worry about corruption. I was using Chris Hatch's wedding mat which made one sim a bridesmaid. At some point a clone of her came walking into the church when she was already there? Anything to worry about or no?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Forum Resident
#28186 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 12:40 PM
Do community lots NEED phones to function, or can they be removed? I mean, I don't need (or want, really, as they have no road) these lots to be accessible by taxi so there's not a need to phone for one. I just know that a residential lot can't be played if it has no mailbox, so I was wondering if the same applies.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#28187 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 2:09 PM
I honestly don't know if payphones on community lots are needed in general. But I know they are needed in my game. Because . . .

1) I don't have "Walk to Lot" (came with BV).

2) Very few of my Sims have mobile phones (cellphones).

3) None of my Sims has a car. (2 or 3 have bicycles.)

But I do wish that payphones could be used for things other than calling a taxi. For instance to call a friend or a relative annd ask them to come and meet you. For most of my life using a payphone was the only practical way to do this. (I suppose before 1980 I could have gone to a post office and sent a telegram.)

My Sims wouldn't mind paying one or two Simoleons every time they make a call, if they could get a more useful payphone in exchange. Perhaps you could have a reversed charges option for when you're really broke.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#28188 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 2:38 PM
How do I change a household name?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#28189 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 2:41 PM
If the payphone could just have another mesh...
Recolors are nice and all that - but, gosh that thing is ugly!

@Grammapat - I think you can change it with the BatBox or Blender?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#28190 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
How do I change a household name?

You can use either SimPE or the Blender. I find SimPE easier.

By the way there is a default community lot pay phone that is available for the medieval game-you might be interested in it:

Default Community Lot Phone - TSM Sign
Screenshots

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#28191 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
But I do wish that payphones could be used for things other than calling a taxi. For instance to call a friend or a relative annd ask them to come and meet you.

That's something I've always thought about and been confused by; why do the payphones only allow your sims to call a taxi, but not their friends to allow them to meet up, or something? It's a phone, it shouldn't be too dissimilar to the phones your sims have at home. I guess Maxis didn't think about the possibilities the payphones have, or it was a deliberate decision on their part for some reason.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
just a girl
#28192 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 3:27 PM Last edited by Lamare : 17th Sep 2021 at 4:04 PM. Reason: grammar
@Bubblebeam, sounds like there're two instances of the same sim on a lot. It is not corruption, I believe, it's a usual bug. It might be a good idea to sell an extra sim with moveobjects on, so that the "clones" don't interact, but I don't really know if it hurts anything.

@didyouevenmakeasound, I don't have an answer for you, but I remember a couple of cases when payphones are counted upon. First is when your sims get invited to community lots by other sims. They usually call a taxi to get there, so they will need a taxi to get back home. I don't know what happens if there's no road, though. Another thing the phone is involved in is spawning witches. I don't know if it is necessary, but just to keep in mind.
Mad Poster
#28193 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 4:00 PM
You can also use the payphone to call the cops if the Unsavory Charlatan robs somebody.
Mad Poster
#28194 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 4:28 PM
I wonder though if sims who have a personal cell phone can call someone to meet them there, and not through the pay phone? Wouldn't that be great?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
just a girl
#28195 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 4:35 PM
They can.
Mad Poster
#28196 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 6:31 PM
Getting a jump-bug (?) in a new, pre-populated hood. If "touch" them they jump, and they don't have many options to interact with others. It involves both members of the household; moving them out of their apartment & onto a new lot did not help. Error msg says "object referred to must be a person". Hood checker found nothing. Help?

Scholar
#28197 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I wonder though if sims who have a personal cell phone can call someone to meet them there, and not through the pay phone? Wouldn't that be great?

Yes, I do this all the time when I want to get another Sim to come to a community lot without bothering with a date or an outing.
Mad Poster
#28198 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Getting a jump-bug (?) in a new, pre-populated hood. If "touch" them they jump, and they don't have many options to interact with others. It involves both members of the household; moving them out of their apartment & onto a new lot did not help. Error msg says "object referred to must be a person". Hood checker found nothing. Help?

Usually caused by a mod conflict, an outdated mod, or a modded object. Jump bugs happen instead of errors if TestingCheats isn't enabled - try enabling it to see if you can trigger an error log.
Mad Poster
#28199 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH

Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Yes, I do this all the time when I want to get another Sim to come to a community lot without bothering with a date or an outing.
I do it too. In fact quite a lot of the small number of my Sims who do have mobile 'phones bought them for that very reason. But it was quite a hassle to have find a shop with the vending machine that sells mobile 'phones, and then lay out quite a lot of money to buy one (I think it's about §150), just so they can ask their friend to come and join them. I keep thinking, "Why can't they just use the payphone?" They probably had to use it to call a taxi to get to a lot where they sold mobiles!

I've had a mobile 'phone myself since about 1995, but any time before that I'd have had to use a payphone. And even when I did get a mobile, the tariff at first was so high (50p a minute during the day in addition to £25 a month rental) that I avoided using it for outgoing calls. I'd get off the 'bus and use a payphone for those.

I keep thinking that somebody somewhere must have written a mod to use the payphone to make ordinary calls.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#28200 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 11:04 PM Last edited by grammapat : 18th Sep 2021 at 12:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Usually caused by a mod conflict, an outdated mod, or a modded object. Jump bugs happen instead of errors if TestingCheats isn't enabled - try enabling it to see if you can trigger an error log.

This was the first time playing this family (which was created by the Hood Building Group). I did enable testing cheats; that's where I got the "must be a person" error. So what do I do with the error log? When I removed them from their apartment I put them on a vacant lot - this didn't help. Also, I can play other houses OK. So you think it could still be a mod conflict?
RATS! Now the other lots are doing the same thing. I've left a question with creator Marka93

Page 1128 of 1338