Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#28276 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 3:36 PM
Her eyes, though... The right one almost looks red/orange in the picture. Kinda creepy...

On close inspection, I think this particular incident happened on one of my story lots. I vaguely remember taking the pictures of the social worker (this is maybe 8-10-ish years ago or something like that now?) but it's only the background that tells me the whereabouts. I don't have any recollection of how it happened, let alone why two of them showed up. Fairly sure I saved the situation by quitting without saving, though...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#28277 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 4:43 PM
if i didn't want a skintone to be inheritable (or if i wanted the probability to be extremely low) what number would I set it as in Skin Tone XML?

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#28278 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 6:27 PM
Those four arms remind me of the T1000 in Terminator 2, who shapeshifts himself a third arm when he's flying the helicopter.
...None of those babies are named John Conner, are they?
Mad Poster
#28279 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 7:55 PM
I don't think there's a John, or Connor, or John Connor among the babies (but I'm not entirely sure what I named the random extras for that lot, so there could be a John. Doubt there's a Connor, though). Also no helicopters
Alchemist
#28280 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 3:56 AM
Is there a reason so many creators convert the same thing? Like other than to add subsets or something? I mean, I get it somewhat when creators are less known or new, but sometimes I see conversions of sets from TS3 and TS4 done over and over and over again, even when long-time, well known creators have already done it (and files are still available). And again, no new recolors or subsets are added, just the exact same items. Maybe with slightly different hues. Am I like missing something?

...Just curious as I am constantly finding 2 or 3 of the same item in my Downloads folder, and am now starting to have to look up converted sets to see which items were included in who's set to avoid duplicates. Though I guess that says more about me, that I keep Downloading the same sets, .

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#28281 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 4:30 AM
@Phantomknight I usually have closure problems whenever I get a duplicate of s3 or 4 by accident. I currently only have the strangerville conversions and will be keeping a close eye on when I try to get more again.
Mad Poster
#28282 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
if i didn't want a skintone to be inheritable (or if i wanted the probability to be extremely low) what number would I set it as in Skin Tone XML?

----------
That XML is drawing a blank...but I've geneticized lots of skins, and you need to know this:
skins are not dominant (like eyes), they just fall in a RANGE. For example, Maxis 4 skins are set at .1, .3, .6, & .9. If you breed .1 to .9 you can get ANY of the for skins (randomly). There IS one exception to this:
Maxis aliens (and most custom skins) are set at .0, and they ARE dominant over everything else. The POSSIBLE settings for skins are from .01 to 9.

You do need to change your skin so it is not .0 (dominant), but no other setting will make it recessive. If you change your skin to (for example) .5, and they have a baby the lightest Maxis skin (.1) you will get .1, .3, or .5 babies.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#28283 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 4:58 PM
I don't know about custom skin tones, but the alien skin tone is not dominant over every other skin. It's random whether it winds up in the dominant or recessive position.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#28284 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Is there a reason so many creators convert the same thing? Like other than to add subsets or something? I mean, I get it somewhat when creators are less known or new, but sometimes I see conversions of sets from TS3 and TS4 done over and over and over again, even when long-time, well known creators have already done it (and files are still available). And again, no new recolors or subsets are added, just the exact same items. Maybe with slightly different hues. Am I like missing something?

I don't get this either. They like to see their name in print? There are several sites with lists of the conversions. I get if you are adding to it, like more subsets or having it do something other than deco. I would think the creators time would be better spent converting something not done, or create something new.
Field Researcher
#28285 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 8:10 PM
I'm not super tuned into conversions, but I feel like the simplest explanation is probably that they don't know their conversion's already been done at the time they decide to do it. Maybe they're unaware of the lists they can check. Or maybe they do the work, queue their post, and another creator releases the conversion first, but they think, "Eh, might as well post it anyway."
Forum Resident
#28286 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 8:48 PM
@glowstarsinajar I think I am one of those people who do not know the lists.
Scholar
#28287 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Fyren5 : 28th Sep 2021 at 11:41 PM.
Do Sims interests change each time a Sim ages up? I'm asking because a lot of people use a Second Aspiration Calculator which is based on Interests of the Sim(s). They typically do it for adults whereas I hold off and wait for mine to be elders thinking that their interests will change again. This means the Second Aspiration would be, in theory, incorrect. So have I been thinking wrong this entire time or is this something that actually happens throughout all stages?

I may or may not have made sense. Oops. If I didn't make sense, I'll try and explain it a bit better.
Theorist
#28288 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I don't know about custom skin tones, but the alien skin tone is not dominant over every other skin. It's random whether it winds up in the dominant or recessive position.

In an unmodded game the alien skin IS dominant over every ordinary Maxis skin.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Genetics#Skintones
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Alien#Hybrids

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28289 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion

It might be but the first time I played Jonny and Ophelia they had a baby with his skin tone.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#28290 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 12:29 AM

...But only if one parent is homozygous for alien skintone.
Mad Poster
#28291 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 12:58 AM

Definitely not. I have plenty of sims with human skin who have the alien skin recessively. From your link:

Quote:
The alien skin tone does not appear to be truly dominant unless one parent is homozygous for it. If neither parent is homozygous for the alien skin tone, and the baby gets both that gene and a gene for a normal Maxis skin tone, the baby may express either gene while carrying the other as a recessive.
Mad Poster
#28292 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 2:59 AM
Does anyone know if you can be abducted from the Science hobby lot?
Mad Poster
#28293 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Do Sims interests change each time a Sim ages up? I'm asking because a lot of people use a Second Aspiration Calculator which is based on Interests of the Sim(s). They typically do it for adults whereas I hold off and wait for mine to be elders thinking that their interests will change again. This means the Second Aspiration would be, in theory, incorrect. So have I been thinking wrong this entire time or is this something that actually happens throughout all stages?

I may or may not have made sense. Oops. If I didn't make sense, I'll try and explain it a bit better.

They might not change so much as get more intense, if you know what I mean. If a kid has a interest in money (4 or more) it might increase to one more point, but I don't think any interest decreases-only increases. Either that or stays the same.

That's all I've seen in my game play. The only way you can change interests is if you have the Sim Blender or another mod. From what I've read, the Blender matches the interests more to the pixel in question, so it might make more sense.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#28294 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
They might not change so much as get more intense, if you know what I mean. If a kid has a interest in money (4 or more) it might increase to one more point, but I don't think any interest decreases-only increases. Either that or stays the same.

That's all I've seen in my game play. The only way you can change interests is if you have the Sim Blender or another mod. From what I've read, the Blender matches the interests more to the pixel in question, so it might make more sense.

So really there's not much difference whether you give the "interest calculated secondary" to an adult or elder.. Hm. I'll think a little about this. Originally, how I like to see it, the secondaries were a reward for my elders. Thank you FranH! :D
Forum Resident
#28295 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 3:41 AM
Question about hood corruption.
Is DELETING an unoccupied but previously occupied lot dangerous?

I am aware that you shouldn't move lots that have graves to the lot bin, move an occupied lot or an owned community lot to the lot bin, move a previously occupied/owned lot to the lot bin, delete Lot Files from the C:\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\<Hood>\Lots folder, move lots to the lot bin with off-world loiterers on them, or rezone a lot with Sims living or staying on it.

What I'm talking about is bulldozing an empty but previously owned lot. I'm assuming it's not an issue, but checking anyways. It won't shred any data, right? I ask because it's dangerous to move it into the bin at that point, but what about bulldozing?

(One can never be too safe, right?)

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Mad Poster
#28296 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 4:18 AM
It's safe as long as there aren't any graves on it.
Alchemist
#28297 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 6:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I don't get this either. They like to see their name in print? There are several sites with lists of the conversions. I get if you are adding to it, like more subsets or having it do something other than deco. I would think the creators time would be better spent converting something not done, or create something new.

Quote: Originally posted by glowstarsinajar
I'm not super tuned into conversions, but I feel like the simplest explanation is probably that they don't know their conversion's already been done at the time they decide to do it. Maybe they're unaware of the lists they can check. Or maybe they do the work, queue their post, and another creator releases the conversion first, but they think, "Eh, might as well post it anyway."

Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
@glowstarsinajar I think I am one of those people who do not know the lists.

I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days. I was really skeptical at first, because, kinda like HugeLunatic said, there are several sites with conversion lists. I was like "how do they not know they exist"? And while there are certainly some simmers out there who don't care to download other's work and prefer to use and make their own version of everything, I'm starting to realize, that yeah, maybe these simmers really don't know they exist. Like, there's a lot of new and returning simmers out there. Whereas simmers like myself and HugeLunatic have been simming a looooong time (and HugeLunatic probably way longer than me! I only started downloading and lurking in the forums after a few TS2 expansions came out). And we didn't leave the community when TS3 came out either. So, our search results do turn up those databases, we know where to search and know who was converting back in the day. And while I certainly don't know, and didn't use, all the simming sites out there, I had a general idea of some of the "bigger" ones. (Bigger in quotes because how popular a simming site was is really relative to where you spent your time.)

With the way search engines work nowadays, especially google, it's probably really hard for a newcomer to find the right results. Even I experience this when I look for stuff for TS3. Meaningful results just don't come up for me. Or they're buried in TS4 results. And then these new simmers don't know where to look--they've missed entire phases of the TS2 community! I remember the Livejournal phase, the move to Dreamwidth phase, and then how every simmer had their own website. Then the TBTO phase, and finally the move to Tumblr. And, iirc, all of that was after TS3 came out! Maybe the LJ phase started with the last few TS2 EPs. And then again, several simming sites have come and gone since then, too.

So I guess maybe I was being too harsh/not understanding enough? But I am a little concerned about the amount of new simmers who are, not just re-converting sets, but are also starting new databases from scratch, and making new mods that do the same thing as an old one. (I'm talking about the stuff that doesn't really improve upon what came before, but is just being done because they thought it didn't exist.) Idk. It just seems like there's a lot of new simmers trying to reinvent the wheel here. Is there something older simmers can do to spread past knowledge?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Inventor
#28298 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 10:32 AM
How do I make a separate gray hair file link itself to black? I tend not to download hairs with a separate gray file as I like gray and black to be in the same package.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#28299 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 10:55 AM
If you use Theo's hair binner, you can bin them in the same family and remove the extra ages from the grey, so it'll only be available for elders and your sims with hair in the same family will grow up into it.

ETA: Another option is, if the black has an elder texture but the wrong colour, just yoink the textures from the grey file and overwrite them. Or, if the black doesn't have an elder file and you really, really just want one file, open it in SimPE, find the adult Property Set and change the age from 0x00000008 to 0x00000018. Then open Bodyshop and recolour it, and now instead of the EAxis default elder file, that hair will be enabled for elders and you can make a new single file with black hair for all other ages and grey for elders.
just a girl
#28300 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 1:31 PM
and making new mods that do the same thing as an old one. (I'm talking about the stuff that doesn't really improve upon what came before, but is just being done because they thought it didn't exist.) Idk. It just seems like there's a lot of new simmers trying to reinvent the wheel here.

You're talking about me and that sleeping mod we discussed, aren't you? Well, I'm not sharing it, exactly because I try to avoid reinventing the wheel. At least, in public. (And in general, but I had my reasons to invent that one for myself.)

As far as little mods go, sometimes it's easier to make your own thing than to find someone else's that doesn't also have all those other features you don't want. As long as it is a little thing, a simple edit, a few lines of code. I don't encourage doing so, but it happens. It pays off to ask around before doing anything, but then you'd have to know who and where to ask.
Page 1132 of 1339