Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#51 Old 26th Dec 2012 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Secresa
Merry Christmas to you as well!

Late Night and Ambitions are actually two of my favorites. They seemed to add a lot to make things interesting! I love the painting and sculpting the most I think. It's awesome what they can create. SO many different paintings than in Sims 2.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose kid likes to "tinker" with their sim notes. I finally had to put some things on the computer just to rescue them from whatever was eventually going to happen to them!
I started playing sims 3 with ambitions... so if i set something up like a challenge for just base game i have to make myself think of it without ambitions.... cause what comes to mind first with 'base game' is what i started playing with. i only wanted LN bc of vampires..... only other eps i want are WA, gen, and supernatural..... those seem to be the best from what i have seen.... at least with my style of play.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 7:07 AM
Just a couple rule clarifications ... at least only a couple so far ... does the "book per generation" thing start with Generation 0 or Generation 1? I was assuming 1 since it seems like 0 is more set-up even though there are some points on the table.

Secondly, I'm also going out on a limb that the paintings per age group for each family member does not have to include the baby stage? I know you can paint them without them posing, but it just seems like all babies look alike and, aside from physically painting it, it wouldn't have much purpose.

Thanks in advance!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#53 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 5:14 PM
Just a couple rule clarifications ... at least only a couple so far ... does the "book per generation" thing start with Generation 0 or Generation 1? I was assuming 1 since it seems like 0 is more set-up even though there are some points on the table.

Secondly, I'm also going out on a limb that the paintings per age group for each family member does not have to include the baby stage? I know you can paint them without them posing, but it just seems like all babies look alike and, aside from physically painting it, it wouldn't have much purpose.

Thanks in advance!
on the books, if you choose to do generation 0 just award yourself like 10 extra points, for the paintings if you can manage the baby stage awesome but it isn't necessary
Test Subject
#54 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 7:38 PM
Hey there! I made an account just to comment on this thread - I'm digging this challenge so far!! The set up was tough - and comical the way everything happened.

The first guy I had her flirt with to try to get her pregnant ended up leaving her house one night and getting another girlfriend. Then I have her meet another guy, they hit it off great, and he stays the night. Yay! Pregnant! So I send him home and the VERY NEXT DAY I look at her relationship panel and he's aged up to elder!

Meanwhile, the first guy I tried getting her with is sending her love letters (I have season) and calling her all the time. SORRY DUDE. You didn't want her!

So she pops out the kid, a little girl I named Emma. Now I'm setting my sights on getting the Mother turned. I was having a hard time getting her to befriend a vampire. Emma had aged up to a Child and I was getting worried. Trying to increase my relationship with one of the Vampires, I go to use her phone to call and chat and realize that the Elderly father of Emma had gotten turned! Sweet! So I invite him over, make some small talk to increase their dwindling relationship, and he turns her! I got super lucky!

But its not over! After she actually turned into a Vampire, I get a notification that the Father has left the town! Deadbeat Dad moves away!

Now Emma is a teen, and I'm on my way to Ambrosia.

Before I continue I have some questions about the challenge, and I'd like to know if I cheated!

When Emma was a Child (before the Mother was turned) I did my research for Ambrosia, and I immediately realized that I should have been gardening and fishing from the start. I knew she was going to age up soon, so I disabled aging while I got her required skills leveled up a bit. Is disabling aging cheating?

How far have you personally gotten in this Challenge? Do you have any tips on the Hall of Memories? Placement, size, anything? I'm almost there and I'm trying my hardest to figure out how to do it. After I start it, can I move it later or is that against the rules?

Also, I know you structured this challenge around 2 Epacs, and I was wondering if it would be okay if some of my family line turned out to be Witches, Faries, or Werewolves? My town is populated with all of them because of Supernaturals, and I think it would be really difficult for me to find mates for all my generations that were just plain human.

And, seasons totally screws with gardening!! To get her leveled, its set to always be summer. Oh, and having to garden only at night is difficult! Are the children allowed to help garden? I have had to send Emma out a few times to water the Mother's Life Plants or they would have died.

OH - and I copy/pasted and made some minor edits to your instructions. I hope you're not mad, it was just so I could print it and read it easier. Want me to Google Doc it to you?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#55 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aphiddeziak
Hey there! I made an account just to comment on this thread - I'm digging this challenge so far!! The set up was tough - and comical the way everything happened.

The first guy I had her flirt with to try to get her pregnant ended up leaving her house one night and getting another girlfriend. Then I have her meet another guy, they hit it off great, and he stays the night. Yay! Pregnant! So I send him home and the VERY NEXT DAY I look at her relationship panel and he's aged up to elder!

Meanwhile, the first guy I tried getting her with is sending her love letters (I have season) and calling her all the time. SORRY DUDE. You didn't want her!

So she pops out the kid, a little girl I named Emma. Now I'm setting my sights on getting the Mother turned. I was having a hard time getting her to befriend a vampire. Emma had aged up to a Child and I was getting worried. Trying to increase my relationship with one of the Vampires, I go to use her phone to call and chat and realize that the Elderly father of Emma had gotten turned! Sweet! So I invite him over, make some small talk to increase their dwindling relationship, and he turns her! I got super lucky!

But its not over! After she actually turned into a Vampire, I get a notification that the Father has left the town! Deadbeat Dad moves away!

Now Emma is a teen, and I'm on my way to Ambrosia.

Before I continue I have some questions about the challenge, and I'd like to know if I cheated!

When Emma was a Child (before the Mother was turned) I did my research for Ambrosia, and I immediately realized that I should have been gardening and fishing from the start. I knew she was going to age up soon, so I disabled aging while I got her required skills leveled up a bit. Is disabling aging cheating?

How far have you personally gotten in this Challenge? Do you have any tips on the Hall of Memories? Placement, size, anything? I'm almost there and I'm trying my hardest to figure out how to do it. After I start it, can I move it later or is that against the rules?

Also, I know you structured this challenge around 2 Epacs, and I was wondering if it would be okay if some of my family line turned out to be Witches, Faries, or Werewolves? My town is populated with all of them because of Supernaturals, and I think it would be really difficult for me to find mates for all my generations that were just plain human.

And, seasons totally screws with gardening!! To get her leveled, its set to always be summer. Oh, and having to garden only at night is difficult! Are the children allowed to help garden? I have had to send Emma out a few times to water the Mother's Life Plants or they would have died.

OH - and I copy/pasted and made some minor edits to your instructions. I hope you're not mad, it was just so I could print it and read it easier. Want me to Google Doc it to you?
*giggles happily* I love questions.... ok first question: I personally am just at the point that her daughter is a toddler, but the last time i did this challenge I got a few generations in, before my save got corrupted.... , oh and turning off aging is sorta cheating but not really a big deal, if i can't get fishing, gardening and cooking maxed in time, i focus on gardening and get at least life fruit and have her eat that until she can manage to get ambrosia...

the hall of memories: i recommend you to make a separate floor, or have a normal basement and around it make the hall of memories, you can move it whenever you wish it is not against the rules

on the witches, fairies, and werewolves: I don't think there should be a problem with witches and fairies but the only way any of them come in the family is if they marry in, your family can't be turned into them, though I only believe that applies to werewolves and vampires....

and i don't mind at all if you edited it, I always like help..... (like i really need to put in some of the stuff dealing with other eps...)
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 1st Jan 2013 at 12:45 AM Last edited by Secresa : 1st Jan 2013 at 1:34 AM.
A belated thanks for the answers to my questions!

Regarding the kids' books, I haven't done a lot with them so don't know much about them. Do you just read them with toddlers or can kids read them on their own? I wasn't sure how that all worked and I'm trying to be good and getting as much out of this challenge point-wise that I can, and if I learn something new about the game in the process then all the better!

*** Never mind I answered my own question. Generation 0 is now a child and cannot read them. Now I know to get through as many of them as I can while the child is still a toddler. Although you meant the skill type books not the little stories like Jimmy Sprockett and the...whatever he's going after this time?
Test Subject
#57 Old 1st Jan 2013 at 7:25 AM
I would love for you to see my blog based on this challenge. (: http://jamsonmotf.blogspot.com/
It took forever to start since I had just got a new laptop so I lost all my progress, but I believe I made this one better.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#58 Old 1st Jan 2013 at 2:40 PM Last edited by Zerhai : 1st Jan 2013 at 2:55 PM.
A belated thanks for the answers to my questions!

Regarding the kids' books, I haven't done a lot with them so don't know much about them. Do you just read them with toddlers or can kids read them on their own? I wasn't sure how that all worked and I'm trying to be good and getting as much out of this challenge point-wise that I can, and if I learn something new about the game in the process then all the better!

*** Never mind I answered my own question. Generation 0 is now a child and cannot read them. Now I know to get through as many of them as I can while the child is still a toddler. Although you meant the skill type books not the little stories like Jimmy Sprockett and the...whatever he's going after this time?
i hate the jimmy sprockett books myself, oh i thought the kids couldn't read by themselves for the longest time.... until one of the books ended up on the floor(I don't remember why or what challenge I was doing at the time) but the child I had at the time went over to it and started reading it, and i hadn't had an adult read that one with them before, so i tried again with a different book and different child and sure enough i could make the toddler go up to em and read them.... (only issue is adult sims tend to pick them up alot...)

Quote: Originally posted by lazypenguin
I would love for you to see my blog based on this challenge. (: http://jamsonmotf.blogspot.com/
It took forever to start since I had just got a new laptop so I lost all my progress, but I believe I made this one better.

*goes to read it* looks great, one thing though you don't have a subscribe button, there is a blogger app that lets ur readers put in an email i put that one in my blogs(i had the same issue with my blogs) oh a tiny note since you have put the rules in your blog as well I would appreciate you putting my name as the one who created it as well as a link to this thread, thanks.

that reminds me I need to work on mine *Pokes sims 3 with a stick*
Test Subject
#59 Old 1st Jan 2013 at 10:08 PM
Sorry about that, I'm still pretty new to blogging and this site. http://jamsonmotf.blogspot.com/ I have a follower button and changed the rules like you asked. (:
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 3:27 AM
Minor hiccup...I tried to start my family in Monte Vista; the new town from the store. However, that place is not working for me for some reason and every family ends up glitched. I tried to move Ambrosia to a new town, but she was pretty much hopeless by them. So, here comes round 2! I at least still had a copy of her in the sim bin from when I first created her and she is now moved into a new piece of land with a small house in Sunlit Tides. Maybe the tropics will be better suited!

I'm not much of a blogger, but I'll be at least doing a small one just to keep an eye on what they've done. I'll post a link once I have it set up.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#61 Old 2nd Jan 2013 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lazypenguin
Sorry about that, I'm still pretty new to blogging and this site. http://jamsonmotf.blogspot.com/ I have a follower button and changed the rules like you asked. (:
Great!

Minor hiccup...I tried to start my family in Monte Vista; the new town from the store. However, that place is not working for me for some reason and every family ends up glitched. I tried to move Ambrosia to a new town, but she was pretty much hopeless by them. So, here comes round 2! I at least still had a copy of her in the sim bin from when I first created her and she is now moved into a new piece of land with a small house in Sunlit Tides. Maybe the tropics will be better suited!

I'm not much of a blogger, but I'll be at least doing a small one just to keep an eye on what they've done. I'll post a link once I have it set up.
i hope you have better luck on round 2, I am not much of a blogger either, I have to kick myself alot to make myself actually do it....

I almost have enough material for a new update though.... I just haven't been able to get into sims as much lately
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#62 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 2:10 AM
*pokes the thread*
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
*pokes the thread*

LOL I stink at updating...but mine is well underway! I think....*rushes off to check on her sims*.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#64 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 10:27 PM
LOL I stink at updating...but mine is well underway! I think....*rushes off to check on her sims*.
lol so do i, i was simply bumping the thread since it was pushed off the page....
Test Subject
#65 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 3:43 PM
Hola all. Just wanted to let you know I started this challenge to take a break from NIF for a second. I love having the idea of having the portrait and the book. The only thing that is irking me is the way portraits look. They're all blotchy. I read this is intentional, but I'm afraid as I get further down the generations I won't be able to remember what the sims looked like. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to change this or if it would count to paint from a cell phone photo.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#66 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nmgbrennan
Hola all. Just wanted to let you know I started this challenge to take a break from NIF for a second. I love having the idea of having the portrait and the book. The only thing that is irking me is the way portraits look. They're all blotchy. I read this is intentional, but I'm afraid as I get further down the generations I won't be able to remember what the sims looked like. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to change this or if it would count to paint from a cell phone photo.
whatever method you wish to use to go about painting the family members go ahead, I name the paintings once my sim finishes them so i don't forget, i also have her paint the same sim multiple times until i get one i like...
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 5:15 AM
I FINALLY got a post done with the start of Ambrosia's Challenge in The Early Years.

Here's a link . Enjoy!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 7:24 AM
I FINALLY got a post done with the start of Ambrosia's Challenge in The Early Years.

Here's a link . Enjoy!
beautiful you are so much better at blogging these than me! I am following it now!
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 11:07 PM
Thanks! Now if I could just be a good girl and keep updating....

Dr. Qusul Pa'Lhaxalic has been reassigned and has a new partner. Stay Tuned.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 3:54 AM
Thanks! Now if I could just be a good girl and keep updating....

Ugh...told you I was bad at this!

A new update is finally here!.

On that note I also had a question. Maybe I'm missing something in the rules, but is there anyone who HAS to stay in the house. Like I know that Generation 1 begins with the founder's grandkids and there has to be at least 2. Do both of those sets of families have to stay? Seems like that would get really crowded really fast. Could it just be a designated heir while others live somewhere else? I was just curious as that's going to be an issue for me sooner rather than later.

Dr. Qusul Pa'Lhaxalic has been reassigned and has a new partner. Stay Tuned.
Page 3 of 3