Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 2:00 PM Last edited by Island Girl : 22nd Sep 2009 at 8:53 PM. Reason: more descrip. title
Default Lot for Consideration-Possible Home for your Gnomies -This is my first home so I really need everyones input.
This home has three main floors and a tower of four floors. There are 6 bedrooms, 6.5 baths, large kitchen, study, library, 3rd floor gallery, formal dining room, informal dining/den area, front and rear entry, double stairway 1st floor and two stairwells 2nd floor, tower bedroom with private bath accessible from 3rd floor study only, large bathroom with walk in showers on 2nd and 3rd floor, inlaid flooring in tower, single car garage with bathroom on ground floor and 2nd floor room, extra parking space, fully landscaped with stone walkways and patio area. The flow through the home is unobstructed with no traffic jam areas found. There are double appliances in the kitchen and 2 Sims can cook or do dishes simultaneously. Fresh Princes' awesome truck in the drive is for screenshots only. Paintings from Akisima and Sim 3 Adventures not included. Most patterns from MTS3 creators except for some in 2nd floor nursery and girls room. NO custom content created by me. All patterns recolored by me. Many items from EA store. I hope a lot this large will be of use to some. It is on the + side of 5M so even if some people like it, I know it may be to large for their machines. This is my first attempt at creating something and will be very grateful for any feedback you may have. Thanks.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 2:54 PM
I'm not a lot builder and I'm not sure what the look for in lots when people upload them, but from looking at the pictures I noticed that the furniture was sometimes modern, then looked antique, so as a suggestion I would try and stick to one style because the overall design seems like an old style but some of the furniture is not...

My Sims 3 Creations
Nothing matters. We're essentially all highly evolved monkeys clinging to a rock that's falling through space and the rock itself is dying. Frankie Boyle.
Just call me sam its easier.
Typical
#3 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 2:55 PM
I'd say the roof is far too steep.
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 3:40 PM
As a lot creator I know this lot took an amazing amount of time to create and build. You have really done a good job. I agree the roof pitch is to steep and needs to be lowered. The cone roof (imho) looks better if you place it one tile from the edge all the way around and let the overhang that is created fill the gap you leave.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 4:07 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Sookielee, Lewjen, I was hoping for a somewhat "Gnomie" feel with the overhanging very steep roofing. The home is actually created so I could use the extreme roof. hummm, I hope this doesn't put everyone off from it. Sammann89, I see your point on the mix of styles as between the lady and gentleman bedroom seating. I will have to rethink this. Thanks all.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 4:10 PM
Wow. This house is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like it took SO much time to make. So many little details. Very very gorgeous. I do agree with the above about the roof. FAR too steep. Other than that, flawless. Excellent job.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 4:27 PM
Thanks traelia for the feedback. Looks like the steep roof needs some serious rethinking. Thanks.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 5:13 PM
Maybe switch to the octogon roof? And make it like half of that steepness.

(Cute avatar by the way!)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 9:15 PM Last edited by Island Girl : 20th Sep 2009 at 9:53 PM. Reason: change in furniture screenshot added
I tried the octogon roof and also bumping down the steepness but even with only the slightest decrease in steepness the tops of the walls on all the upper level floors show through. Maybe this is too non-"traditional" to be appealing to most. Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the furniture in the gentlemans bedroom to match the style of the rest of the house and will post that pix for feedback. Thanks.

New picture of gentlemans bedroom with period furniture change. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#10 Old 21st Sep 2009 at 12:44 PM
I agree, as a lot builder, I can tell this lot has already taken you a long time, and I think it's unique and inspiring.

In regards to the roof. I do also agree the pitch is a little steep but before you lower it all, I think you should play around with making each one a different height. It will make it look a little more quirky and interesting. I would also change the colour. I think it blends too much to the external colouring.

I guess, you could also play around with the outside colours too as a matter of fact!

EDIT: I just read what you said about the roof. Have you placed floor tiles on top of the buildings BEFORE placing the roof?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 3:17 AM
Thanks Sims3Addicted. I lowered all the rooflines after adding the floor tiles like you suggested and changed all the colors including landscaping. Also added porch off of 3rd floor gentlemans bedroom. There are two roof pitches. I tried different style roofing (octagon) but it didn't look very good with the conical. Thanks for your input. I am adding new exterior pictures and would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2009 at 8:19 PM
Default Another exterior shot since roofline changes ingame
I am playing this lot with 6 Sims and no problems encountered so far. This shot is kind of dark but you at least can get an idea of the usable space on the upper porch. Anyone have any opinions about the change in the roofline and exterior colors? Does this look ready to submit? Thanks for any feedback All.
Screenshots
Banned
#13 Old 23rd Sep 2009 at 8:41 PM
I think it´s good but maybe you could add some more plants ´cuz is a home for gnomies, right?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2009 at 9:13 PM
I normally don't like this style roof, but it actually really works for your lot!

The colours, IMO are much better.

The only thing now which I would change/fix, would be that small room you have hanging off the biggest building. I realize you probably like that it looks somewhat "suspended" but it really sticks out to me as "unfinished".

I would play around with creating some "pillars" using the wall feature and see what you come up with.

Of course, it's only my opinion and if you choose to keep it just as it is, I think it's wonderful.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Sep 2009 at 1:15 AM
you should add some sort of supports under the outcropping on the 3rd floor. Perhaps make the area below it into a sunroom or patio.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Sep 2009 at 1:26 AM
Thanks, let me see what I can come up with. Your input is very much appreciated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Sep 2009 at 4:24 AM
Default Changes suggested to suspended room
I added 1st & 2nd floor porches under the suspended room as suggested. It does give a more grounded look. I think I was overly fond of the suspended room but maybe I can try again on another lot if this one gets approval. I think more plants would look better also but this is such a large size already, I think folks who may download would have great ideas on adding more plants. Thanks for the suggestions All!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#18 Old 24th Sep 2009 at 5:52 AM
To tell you the truth, at first I didn't like it. But now it looks a lot better. Well, you can fix this easily but I think one of your windows is a different color than the other ones on the first floor lol. And also, maybe more giant trees in the back would make it look less massive.

I also really like this type of roof that Yogi-Tea used for hobbit house. Yours is a lot bigger but you could *try* this sort of thing which looks very difficult:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=362693

Edit: I see what you're trying to do with the rooms sticking out... I wish they had those like triangle things like the ones they use to hold up shelves.

There are three sides to a story:
Your side, the other person's side and the truth.

The Sims Cubed
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#19 Old 24th Sep 2009 at 11:02 PM
I love the house. I'm just not happy with the big wide cone in the middle. It dwarfs the house, imo. Since everybody else likes it, I will just have to change it myself when I download it! LOL
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:01 AM Last edited by Island Girl : 25th Sep 2009 at 4:24 AM.
Default Taller trees, flatter roofs
I have added taller trees as suggested,thanks FlipGuardian, and flattened the main roof as far as it will go without showing the corners of the walls. If the house had true curved walls I don't think the edges of the walls would show through when I flatten the roof more. I think the lower pitch looks much better also but I haven't figured a way to make it work yet. Thanks Simmiller and FlipGuardian for you input.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#21 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:24 AM
It looks so much better. I like how you fixed the suspended building. The only other thing I would change now, would be to remove the chimney. You can remove it using "moveobjects on". Make sure you actually grab the chimney pieces and not the fireplace. It's in several parts.

It looks wonderful, Island Girl.

EDIT: Actually, the roof over the porch doesn't fit quite correctly. You probably won't be able to get it to either. You could maybe remove it altogether or play around trying to get it to fit a little better?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:47 PM
Default Front Porch roof adjustments
Here is the front porch roof after making adjustments to the fit. No part of the porch roof is visible from inside home. How does this look? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this everyone.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#23 Old 26th Sep 2009 at 3:46 AM
That is so much better! It looks fabulous.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 9:14 PM
Thanks S3A. I guess I'll give this a go once all my credits are in order. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks for everyone's insights.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#25 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 11:20 PM
Good luck with it, and I love the new roof :-)
Locked thread | Locked by: justJones Reason: do not delete-useful info
Page 1 of 2