Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 7:37 AM
Default Generations of Imagination
So I was looking to a legacy style challenge that incorporates the new Generations EP. Sadly, couldn't find any. Not only that, the more I looked over and remembered some of the current legacies, the more I saw how they may really prove difficult to adapt to the new EP. So, after looking over the My Tribe challenge and liking the concept the style of it's kind, I've come up with a Generations oriented challenge. I've never set up a challenge before... though I have participated in some... so don't beat me up too badly please? :P

Yes, this challenge requires the Generations expansion, as it is based on it.
Style is "4 tribes whom you manage, on a deserted land", along with a touch of randomness per gen, to help keep things interesting. I'm guessing this to be a typical 10 gen (or more if you choose) run. I know I will be mentioning various things found in other expansions, such as Ambitions, WA or NL. If you don't have one or more of these, just exclude/ignore them. Only Generations is vital to this challenge.

Setup: Yep.. strip a world to bare bones. Only lots being empty lots. The only people in this world are to be your own (and the unavoidable service npc's) If you aren't using a mod such as Twallin's to keep new emigrants from moving in, I would recommend only start with the one lot you will start with, and only add in more as you need them. No community lots except for 1 fishing area.

Starting Family (Gen 1): The concept behind this is a scientist who dabbles in creation of life by the power of imagination. (I leave you to build the story of details of why, how and such.) Your starting family is your scientist, a spouse if you wish (recommended though, but not required, if you want the extra challenge) and 3 toddlers, each with an imaginary friend, and 30k in household funds after buying their lot. (You may start with less if you wish, but not more than 30k.) -This is the one time you may use any cheat you feel necessary to accomplish this setup- (and the first of only two times you may use a money cheat). Each toddler (and their imaginary friend) is the start of a tribe (tribes 1, 2 and 3). The toddlers represent generation 1.

*note* I suspect you'll find money very tight at first as you'll have to stay unemployed. I recommend the "no bills" reward asap. *

Raise the little ones how you will. The scientist needs to learn the potion to make imaginary friends real as soon as he/she can. This is the scientists main job in life. When the three children grow to YA and move out with their now real imaginary friend (and future spouse), the scientist gives them each 1/3 of the potions he/she has made so far (split as even as you can), and each couple are moved to their own empty lot in the world, and then given 15k. (This is the second and last time you may use a money cheat.) Now take control of one of the new tribal households and the challenge is on.

*note: from here out, IF = imaginary friend. Sorry, but much easier to type :P*

Sometime before your new tribal households begin. choose a theme for them. May be chosen randomly, or hand picked. Themes include:

Royal: Medieval style lap of luxury. Recommended traits to be seen would be snob, dramatic, star quality. (traits pretty open. Royalty is above questioning of course.. right? )
Non modern, but all plumping except showers and some basic electricity allowed. (no tv's, vid games or computers.) Go for candles if you can. Maids and butlers also as often as possible.

Villans: Super evil genius lair. Recommended traits to be seen would be evil, mean, genius, klepto. Cannot intentionally choose: good, nurturing or family oriented.
All modern, all pluming and electricity allowed. No repair techs or babysitters.

Gaia: One with the earth. Recommended traits to be seen would be eco friendly, nurturing, good, loves the outdoors. Cannot intentionally choose: evil or mean.
Only modern if it incorporates that earth/nature/outdoors feel. All pluming except showers, but no electrical. (Use candles and windows for light. Sorry, no fridge either.) No inventors.

Nut House: Insane asylum. Anything goes and the crazier the better. No recommended traits. In fact, all traits to be randomized when given the choice.
All levels of technology not only allowed, but expected. Mix up your modern and archaic as much as possible within the same room. (for example a fire pit for cooking in the kitchen (or maybe.... in the bathroom?), next to the high tech, modern cappuccino maker.) Mix it up... go crazy.

*any other ideas on this part guys?*
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 7:37 AM
Rules:
No cheats such as kaching and motherload, or fast skilling.

A sim may only age up on their birthday.

There is no traveling to other lands unless directed by the generation randomness roll

Unless directed otherwise... all IF's are to be made real at their YA birthday (since I don't think teens can change households alone, can someone clarify for me?), and sent off to live at the scientist's lot(s). (These IF's represent tribe #4)

Unless stated otherwise in a gen randomness event, once the three tribe founders have left the scientist's home, you can never again play the scientist's household. They and the IF's are to be left to their own devices, without your guidance.

1 tribe per generation may have their heir marry an IF from tribe 4. (Does not have to be the same as the tribe doing the generation randomness event) That IF then moves into the household of his/her spouse. (unless of course the IF chosen is the imaginary friend of the heir picked to take an IF spouse... then it's likely the IF is already there. This of course is the only time you -don't- have to move an IF to the tribe 4 lot upon making them real.) I highly recommend rotating which tribe marries a tribe 4 IF each generation.

The bloodlines of tribes 1, 2, and 3 must all survive throughout the challenge. Take care not to let one die out. (I recommend swapping around active households every few weeks or so... to keep an eye on them.)

If any of the 4 tribe lots gets too populated, feel free to move some to a new neighboring lot.

Do not purchase the eternal life reward. Ambrosia & death flower may be used once. Servos must leave when the heir of the current tribal ruler dies.

World Growth:
If you successfully complete/survive your generation randomness event, you may choose one venue to build. (More may be acquired however through the Events.) Does not need to be random, it's fully up to you. (Yes, this includes generation 1. Gen 1's "event" is to make at least 6 "make imaginary friend real" potions. That's one per child's IF, and one each to give the tribal founders as they leave the scientist's home.)

1.) Town hall
2.) grocery store
3.) school
4.) bookstore
5.) library
6.) hospital
7.) gym
8.) graveyard
9.) park or pier
10.) police station
11.) spa
12.) restaurant of some kind
13.) military base
14.) fire department
15.) consignment store
16.) salon
17.) laundry
18.) junkyard
19.) club of some kind
20.) subway
21.) movie set
*Did I miss any? Of course you may not get everything and may take a while to get all you really want and find essential, so choose wisely.*

Generation Randomness Events: A Generation Event starts when the first child of a generation is born to that tribe's leader, and ends when it is completed, or it's time frame is up. When an event ends, you roll for the next one.

*note: When the heir becomes YA, they become tribe leader. What that really means is up to you, but for the sake of the rules here, it's easier to note that way*

Randomly roll for an event. Then pick which tribe will do the event. (A tribe may not do a Generation Randomness Event two generations in a row however.) If the heir of that tribe is teen or younger, the event starts immediately. If not, the event waits till the tribe leader produces a child.

You don't -have- to complete these. However, doing so will reward you with at least one new venue in town.

1.) Family Ties: Opens tribe 4 for household play during this generation. Feel free to make more potions if need be (and possible), manage your IF's, have the extras pair up and make new IF's, or whatever you like. (Ends when the heir who received this event, bears their own heir.)

2.) Change of Pace: The heir wants something different for a spouse. Hook your heir up with a ghost, vampire, or someone from abroad (or.. someone who is all 3? lol) (Ends when the heir who received this event, bears their own heir with said spouse) *Gain an extra venue upon completion of this Event*

3.) Rebel Child: Your heir is unruly.. and down right out of control. All traits are random picked. He/she can marry anyone they want (can travel and marry a foreigner, can marry an IF even if some other tribe is marrying one.) Make use of mood swing wishes. *Gain an extra venue upon completion of this Event. Gain yet another venue if your heir can successfully pull 5 pranks every week during childhood and teen years. (making 3 total venues at the end of this event. 1 normal, 1 bonus, and one extra if you can make all the pranks.)* (Ends when heir who received this event turns to YA.)

4.) Frisky: 5 kids. Yep. And live with all 5 alive for you all to see the birth of your heir's first child. (You'll certainly be wanting to make use of one of those side plots for extra tribe members for this one.) *Gain 2 extra venues upon completion of this Event.*
(Ends when the heir of the heir who received this event, bears their own heir. Yes, that sounds confusing, but I think the event description itself is self explanatory as to when it does end. :P)

5.) Follow in the Great One's footsteps: Your heir wishes to be just like the Great Scientist who started it all. Have your heir become a scientist and discover and create at least 6 "make imaginary friend real" potions. And deliver 1/3 of them to each of the other two tribal leaders (not tribe 4). *Gain an extra venue upon completion of this Event.* Go one step farther, become greater than the Great Scientist. Max logic and gardening, and make and deliver half as many more potions than the Great Scientist did. (for example, if the Great Scientist made 6 potions, your heir makes 9. If he/she made 10, your heir makes 15.) Do this, and gain yet another extra venue upon completion of this event. *Ends when the heir who received this event completes it, or dies.)

6.) Switched at Birth?: All traits chosen this generation for all tribes are to be randomized. (Ends when the heir who received this event, bears their own heir.)

7.) Networking: Become friends with the leaders of the other two main tribes, and their IF's if they had them. (Ends when the her who received this event, bears their own heir. Friendships with leaders and IF's must be maintained till end of the Event,for the Event to succeed.)

8.) Keeping the Imagination Alive: Keep the power of imagination going. All children this generation should dress up and play pretend in each of the costumes at least once in their childhood. No more than one dress up for a child per day. Let him/her enjoy the costume. (Ends when the her who received this event, bears their own heir.)

Well, I wanted to start with 10.. but I'm at a block now. First thing in the morning I'll be firing up this challenge myself. What you all think? I'd love some refinement on it.
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 10:11 PM
I'm going to try this challenge, it looks interesting. A few questions, though...

1. I assume that when you first start generation 1, nothing should be on the lot, right? Is there a size restriction or anything?

2. Generation 1 (the toddlers you start out with) will eventually marry their imaginary friends, and have generation 2. But after that, you said all imaginary friends are to go to the main scientist's lot, tribe #4, and that only 1 tribe per generation may marry an imaginary friend from tribe #4. Who would the other tribe's heirs marry? They have to marry someone, to keep up the bloodline. Random people that knock on their door? Service NPCs? Different tribe's people?

3. Are all tribes different, or are they all the same? (Ex. 1 royal, 1 villainous, and 1 crazy?) Also, do they have to be in different sections of the town? (Tribe 1 near the beach, tribe 2 in the forest, etc.?)

Sorry for all the questions. :3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 5:00 AM
1) Correct. Nothing on the lot. Size can be anything you like though, and it doesn't come from your funds, as you set your money once you are on the lot. Way I figure.. you're in the middle of nowhere, a new world so to speak.. why pay for land? There's certainly plenty of it to go around. :P

2) From gen 2 on, One tribe may marry from Tribe 4, the others marry among the other tribes.

3) Different if possible. I'm hoping to get more theme ideas to pick from. I may remove that part altogether though if it doesn't go over well. As for their locations.. they can be anywhere you like. I'm setting mine in their own separate areas, but where you place yours is up to you.

And questions are fine. I don't mine them This is something new for me, so I'm learning as we go too.
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 8:10 PM
Okie Dokie, I'm starting mine now.

Here's a link to empty neighborhoods, just in case people don't wanna keep bulldozing every lot: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=344655
Test Subject
#6 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 1:44 AM
This looks awesome! I hope you keep updating this... I will be starting this tonight.