Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Stay-at-Home Parent Career...because taking care of kids is hard work!

by SassyTeffie Posted 3rd Apr 2007 at 3:37 AM - Updated 24th Sep 2008 at 7:42 PM by SassyTeffie : Chance Card Glitch Fixed

70 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 64 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 2 of 3
Alchemist
#26 Old 5th Apr 2007 at 11:08 AM
Wonderful idea, thanks a lot!
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 5th Apr 2007 at 11:02 PM
Hi,

Quick question if you don't mind. I downloaded this career, the first ever, because it's such a great idea. However, how do I get it to work in my game? I had my sim go to the computer to find this job, but it wasn't listed? Do I just have to keep searching everyday until I find it?

Thanks for answering
Scholar
#28 Old 7th Apr 2007 at 10:12 PM Last edited by aeval99 : 8th Apr 2007 at 1:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SassyTeffie
Open the career file using SimPE, then go to Tools and open Bidou's Career Editor. From there you can click on the tab regarding hours and change the start time to 10. Save the file (overwrite if you want) and you're good to go!

Sorry to bother you again. When I load Bidou's career ediitor in Simpe, I see in the base (science) career which part I need to edit and that seems pretty easy. The problem I'm having (and I'm so embarassed to admit this) is that I can't figure out how to open your career file with Simpe.

All the tutorials I have found are about things much more advanced than that and assume your already know how to do it. Do I need to register and get a new guid like the tutorials say? I'm so afraid of overwriting the science career that I won't click any of the buttons.

Can you recommend a really basic tutorial (with pictures) on how to open the career with SimPE and then get it into the career editor?

EDITED to answer erica_jean698's question. Yes, you just have to keep looking every day. It will show up eventually
Test Subject
#29 Old 8th Apr 2007 at 10:22 AM
Single sim moms can be on the dole and run errands now? It just gets more and more realistic.
Test Subject
#30 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Excellent idea. And I love the idea of running errands for an hour. I must say that I would also prefer a version that goes from 10-11 am. Is there any easy way that I can edit this?

Good work. Thank you

EDITED to say thanks for the instructions on editing the times.

Great idea. I also want to know the easiest way to edit the times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:57 PM
I cannot recommend a tutorial because I don't know one. However, the process is pretty easy to explain.

1) Use WinRAR (or whatever rar tool you have) to extract the download to your desktop (just like when you extract it to place in your downloads file).

2) There should be a file that is portrayed by an icon that basically looks like a white rectangle with an orange S on it.

3) Double click on this file. If you have SimPE installed it will automatically open SimPE and load the file.

4) Next go to the Tool menu and click on Bidou's Career Editor. This will open the editor and allow you to change the times.

NOTE: All you need to do is change the times. Then x out of the editor, save (writing over the original), and move the files from your desktop to your Downloads folder. You DO NOT need to change the GUID. This career already has a unique GUID, so it will not overwrite the Science Career.
Scholar
#32 Old 13th Apr 2007 at 4:43 AM
Thank you very much for your instructions. Once I got the file open everything was as easy as pie. I tested it out on my favourite stay-at-home Dad and it works perfectly. I even went a little wild with the editor and gave him Sundays off, just for the hell of it.

I do have a couple of extra instructions for anyone else who was going to try it and is SimPE challenged like me.

1)When you download SimPE, you need to download a base career from the same place. Put it in the Simpe\Data folder. Now Bidou's Career Editor won't be greyed out.

2)If you have never opened a file with SimPE before, you need to right-click on the package file and choose "open with". SimPE probably won't be an option on the list, so you will need to browse for it.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 11:10 PM
Great idea! I would like a similar though that's not so focused on the parenting thing, there are many reasons to why people don't have regular jobs, stay home and get some sort of payment anyway.

Sincerely,
<I>Mequila</I>
Test Subject
#34 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 9:19 PM
Yesss,we should be paid in money, not only the rewards of being a stay at home mom. Money would help of course.
But I was wondering How does the sim get the job of staying home parent? Newspaper,computer?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 1:51 PM
Mequila: Do you just want some sort of welfare career? That sounds like an excellent idea! I will get to work on that! Thanks for the idea!

jstwebbrowsing: Yes, you obtain this career the same as any other career (computer or newspaper). If you wish you can use the boolprop testingcheatsenabled cheat.

I am not taking requests at this time. I have just started graduate school and I cannot be sure how much spare time I am going to have. You can PM me with a request if you want, but I cannot guarantee that I will do it (or that I will even see the message right away).
Test Subject
#36 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 5:16 PM
This is fabulous! Thank you so much. Exactly what I needed for those busy families!
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 8:23 AM
Thank you! My sister and I were just saying the other day we needed something like this in game. Now my stay at home Sims won't get that annoying get a job want.
Test Subject
#38 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 3:37 PM
I agree, this should be a real life career choice.
In J.D. Robb's fictional version of the later 21st century, the government pays one parent per family if they are a stay-at-home parent.
If it turns out that Sims and pop fiction really do predict the future I personally cannot wait. Just think, everyone will be able to instantly sell doors and windows in from their home if they happen to need extra cash . . .
Thanks for this mod!
Test Subject
#39 Old 9th May 2007 at 7:44 PM
Hi! I can't download WinRAR at all. I've tried it several times. I was wondering if you could maybe make a zip. file for it. I am not a stay-at-home mom although i wish i was able to be home with my newborn & my 2year old. You can send me a message or something like that. THANKSS !
Test Subject
#40 Old 15th May 2007 at 12:21 PM
I love this, stay at home-mom-sims are my fav!
I guess i have one question: does it overright a career already in the game?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 15th May 2007 at 3:23 PM
xojennababiiox28: I cannot do .zip files. My software automatically converts it to a .rar file. Sorry!

kimyoryu: Nope, it doesn't override anything. It has its own unique GUID.

I am not taking requests at this time. I have just started graduate school and I cannot be sure how much spare time I am going to have. You can PM me with a request if you want, but I cannot guarantee that I will do it (or that I will even see the message right away).
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 20th May 2007 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SassyTeffie
Mequila: Do you just want some sort of welfare career? That sounds like an excellent idea! I will get to work on that! Thanks for the idea!

Yeah something like that would be great!
Maybe writer would be something to have in mind as well, they work from home. Maybe Maxis covered that with the "write a novel and sell it"-thing though.

Sincerely,
<I>Mequila</I>
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#43 Old 21st May 2007 at 6:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mequila
Yeah something like that would be great!
Maybe writer would be something to have in mind as well, they work from home. Maybe Maxis covered that with the "write a novel and sell it"-thing though.

I will definitely work on the welfare thing. I can also do a writing career as well. I know that you write and sell a novel in game, but it's still a bit unrealistic. After all, writers get royalty checks for a while, and the better known you become the more chance your book(s) will become video games, tv shows, or even Simmywood Blockbuster movies!

NOTE: I am currently enrolled in summer classes at my college, so it may be a bit before I have these released. I will work as hard as I can to squeeze some time into my hectic schedule, but my classes, my husband, and my kids come first. Hopefully, things will ease up next week and I can get something else uploaded soon!

Thanks to everyone for the comment and suggestions!

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 24th May 2007 at 2:36 AM
This is a fabulous idea for a career! And I must admit I like the idea for the welfare one too. I have a family it would be perfect for. lol

Ok, now I want to download this career...... But where do I put it?? Does it just go into my downloads folders or is there somewhere special it needs to go to work?

Thanks so much

Molly
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 24th May 2007 at 2:02 PM
Mollypup: Yes, the career just goes into your Downloads folder. It works like any other career in that it may take a while for it to pop up via the paper or computer. You can always use the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true cheat to find it right away. Enjoy!

Test Subject
#46 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 6:13 PM
Ah wow! This is just what I need for my main family atm, as they have twin children and just had another set of twins and I'm keeping the mum off work.
Thanks!
Test Subject
#47 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 4:23 PM
Just a little bug - when the career is maxed, and you get the choice card about the 2 daycare centers, when you "save $9,000", my family gained $9,000,000 instead! Not that I'm complaining, but I Just thought I'd let you know I'm loving this career, though, thank you!!
Test Subject
#48 Old 30th Jun 2007 at 11:24 AM
What a thoughtful girl you are! Great idea
Test Subject
#49 Old 30th Jun 2007 at 2:31 PM
Where can I find the bidou career plugin? I've looked everyone but so far, have come across dead links
Test Subject
#50 Old 30th Jun 2007 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99

1)When you download SimPE, you need to download a base career from the same place. Put it in the Simpe\Data folder. Now Bidou's Career Editor won't be greyed out.

2)If you have never opened a file with SimPE before, you need to right-click on the package file and choose "open with". SimPE probably won't be an option on the list, so you will need to browse for it.

I did that and it was still greyed out That's why I thought I needed to download a plug in from somewhere. I'm so dumb when it comes to simming lol
Page 2 of 3