Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2017 at 3:08 PM
Default Servos "Who or what are they?"
Not sure if there has been extensive discussions on Servos, other than some problems with their confusion on what their function limits should be. I've found servos annoying in the past when attempting to have them as a useful addition to households. I also miss them at times but then remember other times I got frustrated with them. I have been thinking about a hood with mainly servos, possibly beginning with one sim in a deserted area who creates a servo for company, together they create more servos while passing time until the sim ages and dies. One problem would be all servos ending up with the same personalities, skills, interests and whatever else they acquire from the one who hits their power button. I think it might be interesting if an occasional servo were to find (adopt) a lost child, which would eventually begin a sim population over time. The more I think about how to begin, the more questions pop up on how to do things. My knowledge of servos is limited and some things really confused me and I have a lot of questions on how to go about it without overwhelming myself with out of control robots. Considering servos rarely die, a population would have to build slowly to keep from overwhelming the life of a hood.

How would I handle the last name of each servo, since they will take the name of whoever starts them up? Would I have to randomize all aspiration, skills, interests, etc in order to make them a bit more individual?
Have servos been made buyable, making it easier to set them up in their own households? Can they live and function properly in apartments? Not sure how they could mess that up, but you never know, lol.
Can servos adopt?
Has any kind of everyday clothing been made to help a bit in differentiating them from one another? Such as hats, t-shirts or maybe a dress, anything that individualize some of them.
What happens in the event of a servo dying, they do have a headstone or urn but do they end up as ghosts or just never appear again?
They can have a job or own a business, are there any limitations on what they can't do? Besides having kids, I know that's not possible.
Other than things like swimming (silly robots), do they have any limitations that sims don't?

For now I plan on keeping a sort of journal with ideas on this hood idea until I have time to get back to the game. For awhile my life has been a hassle of water physical therapy 3 times a week, 2 hours each time, along with the household stuff that has to be done and no help with anything. Being a neat freak and physically challenged is very tiring but I do sleep well most nights. I'm just waiting for things to settle a bit more before attempting to sort files and get sims back into my routine. Meanwhile the ideas keep me motivated along with any little progressive I make. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th May 2017 at 3:18 PM
How would I handle the last name of each servo, since they will take the name of whoever starts them up? Would I have to randomize all aspiration, skills, interests, etc in order to make them a bit more individual?
Either you keep it or you change it, maybe make them marry townies or something. You could randomize all their stats to make them more individual indeed.

Have servos been made buyable, making it easier to set them up in their own households? Can they live and function properly in apartments?
You can sell unactivated servos in home businesses or owned community lots. I am also pretty sure there are unlocked buyable servos direct from the catalogue. They can live and function properly in apartments.

Can servos adopt?
I am pretty sure they can.

Has any kind of everyday clothing been made to help a bit in differentiating them from one another? Such as hats, t-shirts or maybe a dress, anything that individualize some of them.
They have formal wear (a tuxedo for male servos and a pink dress for female servos). Otherwise I don't think there is, maybe accessories such as hats?

What happens in the event of a servo dying, they do have a headstone or urn but do they end up as ghosts or just never appear again?
Servos cannot die afaik. However if you force them to die, they'll get a gravestone like any other sim.

They can have a job or own a business, are there any limitations on what they can't do? Besides having kids, I know that's not possible.
Other than things like swimming (silly robots), do they have any limitations that sims don't?
I don't think there are any other limitations.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2017 at 3:41 PM
Servos can only die by a satellite, cowplant and scissors: according to the wiki. I thought they could drown though...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th May 2017 at 7:08 PM Last edited by Annaminna : 28th May 2017 at 7:06 PM. Reason: lol, typos
They don't drown, they will break and run amok. There will be big help from Sim Blender to randomise their personalities and change last names before they will find own place. Servos are my favorite supernaturals. There are some mods to help you. Like "servos don't break when cleaning showers" and "no servo chores"
I have adopted a child into servo family. It was real fun to play this family.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th May 2017 at 7:45 PM
Lol, imagine if they take a dip and the ladder was removed or without it at the start before and after the dive. Now that's what I call eternal suffer.
Alchemist
#6 Old 27th May 2017 at 10:05 PM
OFB's Prima Guide tells that these deaths are excluded from Servos::
-Old Age; Servos cannot age.
-Fire; Servos cannot burn (not sure why).
-Starvation; Servos have no Hunger need.
-Disease; Servos cannot get sick (not sure why).

the Prima Guide confirms that they can adopt. also WooHoo (but not "Try For Baby"), and have jobs.
I would guess they can also do all other romantic socials.

not Drowning makes sense; drowning occurs when Hunger or Energy fail while in swimming pool. the Energy Need is replaced by Power.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th May 2017 at 10:57 PM
Servos not cannot get sick actually makes sense. Why a piece-of-junk-scrap that isn't a biological being would have to get sick? :P

Drowing wouldn't really make sense, If you were to remove the ladder. In reality, a robot from mulfunction would eventually shut down and sink into the bottom of the water, since in the logic of the game there's no hope of escaping the pool alive without the help of the essential object.

Actually the pool without a ladder gave me an idea from the exclusive droid populated neighborhood. I could just make a lot with a dedicated pool for suicidal servos (which would be legal in that universe) which would require robots to pay-to-die sort of thing (with the help of a ticket machine). The Question which now remains: Can unplayable sims automonously use the swimming pool?
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th May 2017 at 11:19 PM
Thanks, what little I knew of servos has mostly been forgotten, the info so far will be useful. I'm also doing house plans on graph paper which will make the housing choices quicker. Doubt there will be any swimming pools, I do remember a sim trying to take a dip in the community lot one, it didn't go very well. (:

Test Subject
#9 Old 27th May 2017 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ineedtoworknow
Servos is the masheenas. They can be buyed in object mode. The servos assume just like normal Sims, for that they are also controllable. But the servos have not the all needs of humano sims. Humano sims have more of needs than the servos. It must be of note that the servos are much expensive.

I agree. Definitely the best description of a servo.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th May 2017 at 4:39 PM
Thanks Duine for starting this thread. Generally I avoid the game's supernaturals as much as possible, I don't believe in zombies, vampires, werewolves etc., and I don't want them in my [sort of] realistic game. But Servos at different. I'm fairly sure that there will be some sort of android/humanoid robots in our world before too long, and sometimes I'm a bit surprised that we don't have some already. So I reckon that servos represent our near future; something like them will exist in our world soon.

The only reason I haven't had servos in my game is that I read of a Sim dying from electrocution by a malfunctioning servo. As most of you must know by now, I am quite passionate about protecting the lives of my Sims, and will not willingly permit anything in my game that exposes them to the risk of random sudden death. (In fact in four and a half years playing The Sims 2, I've never seen the Grim Reaper at all!) Well, about 3 months ago I found and downloaded a servonorunamok mod by Squinge. So I've really lost my excuse for not playing Servos. And in truth, I think I'd really quite like to meet one or two. So, inspired by this thread, a new Knowledge Sim called Gwen Geachie has moved into a little house in Elswyn, the 'hood I created for Jo's Community Spirit contest. Here she is:
She has bought a robot crafting station and named her house "Robot Works", so it's pretty obvious what she wants to do!

My problem is I know precious little about Servos, and even less about what other robots she can make. So (in the absence of iCad) may I derail the thread a little and ask about all Sims 2 robots, and not just Servos? I'll say what little I know/think and you can all correct me and fill in the blanks? Please!

I know that she can make a Servo with her "Non-Deadly" Robot Crafting Station. I think that, before she can create a Servo, she has to make a lot of lesser robots. I really know less than nothing about these. We have a member here (sadly not so active lately) called Pizzatron-9000, and I think he may have started life when a Sim made him on a similar crafting station for the purpose of delivering pizzas. I think that is the full extent of what I have heard about Sims 2 robots below the "rank" of Servo. So I would be most grateful if someone could tell me what these "lesser" robots are called, what they do, and, possibly most important, if there are any problems with them. Knowing Maxis' sense of humour, the name and description of that "Non-Deadly" crafting station ring a lot of alarm bells for me. I think Squinge has dealt with the danger from Servos for me. Are there any hidden dangers from these other robots? I've no wish ever to watch the agonising death of a Sim that I love.

So can you please help me to help Gwen to have a long, happy, successful and profitable career as a robot-maker? Just look at her: she deserves no less!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th May 2017 at 7:19 PM
There is no danger from other robots. In my game I've had a lot of any kind of robots and no one was danger on sim. If you find a mod "robots don't break" there will not be anything dangerous. But you miss then huge mess what any broken robot can make
About craftables: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Robotics
And remember you can always turn them off.
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st May 2017 at 7:53 PM
You're very welcome, AndrewGloria, glad to see you found something new to increase sims interests.

Paladin/SimWardrobe site has 3 worker type robotics that could be used for simple things, they could also be used as deco when turned off. Servos also give a special memory to sims if they should happen to engage in a certain activity. (:

Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st May 2017 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Lol, imagine if they take a dip and the ladder was removed or without it at the start before and after the dive. Now that's what I call eternal suffer.

My servo family went on vacation to Three Lakes. Of course they played log rolling. Loser drops into water.
I've never seen anyone getting out of water so fast.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#14 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 12:57 AM
Who they are and what they are ( Servo ) I will never find out again not in my game. They gave me the Blues, I had to make them clean ( lazy ) and they only cook the same food over and over.
And what really got on my last good nerves was their sound of BEBEBE, good thing I had a back up of my game way before I added the Servo. Never will I ever use a Servo in my game ever again. they drove me into maddess.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 9:14 PM
I also gave up on them, the constant cake baking, bugging toddlers while they played, interrupting sims while occupied with studying, dates or whatever and showing up on every community lot, intruding on sims who were always doing something. Trying to get in a community pool where his owner was swimming was a big disaster too. (:

Inventor
#16 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:26 AM
I too have not had any servos for years. I found the beebly-weebly voice very annoying. I remember I used to age them down to teen and then back up to adult in order to get them a more-or-less normal sim face, with more-or-less normal clothes; but each time they changed from residential lot to community, or back again, they would revert to tin man. Once I had a single male romance sim craft himself a female servo who would cook his meals, clean his house, tend his garden and attend his bed. He valued the ability to switch her off, leaving her standing in the corner, while he entertained his other girlfriends. That storyline soon ran out of steam.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:13 AM
And what happened?
Inventor
#18 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 12:41 PM Last edited by music2ologist : 8th Jun 2017 at 5:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
And what happened?

Well, I stopped playing that sim; but I had some successes with a couple of rather suave servos who were extremely popular with the ladies. That story ran for a bit longer.