Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 5:46 AM
Default I don't know if it was the Mandela effect but I had a strange thing happen in the game.
I don't know if it was mandela effect, I remember when I only had the sims 2 base disk, when I played the Broke family, when Dustin Broke came back from school, playing with Brandi I automatically got a grey interaction that said "dead tongue". Also, when my brother was playing in Strangetown, he told me that Bella Goth appeared to him with the typical cinematic in the Smith family, and then she ran away. Has anyone had this experience or was it just a mandela effect?

Technically I had the game unpatched, and that was back in 2007
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 10:00 AM
Sounds more like the usual video game rumours to me. I know there were a ton of people claiming that they found Bella and there was a super special cinematic event and all that stuff back when the game was first released.

Although for the second one, I know Strangetown Bella was at some point patched to always be in the welcome wagon for Strangetown. I pretended she was a local crazy person who would randomly show up at my sims' houses and ask them if they wanted to hear about her exciting story, and everybody just ignored her.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 10:06 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Apr 2022 at 10:18 AM.
Bella does exist in Strangetown as a townie (not the original Bella, but a copy with a few details changed from the one that ran away/got abducted from Pleasantview) and no memories that suggests she has anything to do with the other one.
More info here:
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Bella_Goth_(Strangetown)
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Bella_Goth

Never heard of that cinematic, though. I've been around the community since 2006, and this is the first I ever heard about it.
If there is/was anything like this, modders would probably have been able to dig it up from the depth of the game files by now.

There's also no "thypical game cinematic" that makes Bella Goth appear in Strangetown - not to my knowledge, anyway. She's just a townie, and will occasionally appear on the lot edge and then walk off the lot when she's had a look around (like any other townie on a residential), or do whatever she came for on a community lot and then leave. Nothing much makes her special except for her looks.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 4:45 PM
The "dead tongue" thing sounds like maybe you dreamed and it got mixed in with your real memories.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 5:42 PM
Or maybe misremembering the scripted event when Brandi lectures Dustin?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 7:10 PM
@osmo95 - I still slightly remember some of that with the Brokes when I first got the base game a few years before your first sessions in 2005.I got a new laptop two years later and installed my game on that instead of the original computer as my old laptop was better able to handle the game.Ive not seen any of that in years though I did when I first got into the game because I started in Pleasantview and it won't be happening in my Pleasantview Epic Challenge because that's being played in an empty pleasantview terrain template and I'm starting with the ancestors of those residents from the 17th century in that game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 9:47 AM
@simsample It seems a bit curious to me that you have this vague memory, maybe it was something corrupted. I just wanted to comment it to get rid of that doubt.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 9:58 AM
Is your game in English? 'dead tongue' reminds me of 'bad mouth' which is a thing in game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 5:48 PM
That event sounds like a sign that your Plasantview was already getting corrupted and I've seen issues with the EA town before so I will just use the empty map version from the terrain selector if I want to play any of them and try to recreate the families as they would've been in the starting of the town like with my BACC game in Dodge.I'm using the Stragetown map and loading it with my own sims and builds as that town would been in the 1840's.
Theorist
#10 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
That event sounds like a sign that your Plasantview was already getting corrupted
Such an easy, go-to claim in this community. Someone asks if they remember something correctly from 2007 which sounds like a completely altered memory and a non-existent interaction, and the conclusion is that the game decided to start corrupting itself by acquiring a mind of its own and creating brand new, unseen and functioning social interactions. I've never heard this one, it's brilliant.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 7th Apr 2022 at 7:30 AM
This is a game where under certain circumstances a never-seen-before and functioning social interaction can not only appear, but also transfer itself to other peoples' games. That's the beauty of shoddy programming: Everything sounds possible.

(But yeah, in this case it's probably a half-remembered memory, or possibly a half-remembered dream)
Theorist
#12 Old 7th Apr 2022 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is your game in English? 'dead tongue' reminds me of 'bad mouth' which is a thing in game.

^This.

Or, in addition, is English your first language? Because if not then it's even easier to get words like that mixed up/

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Apr 2022 at 9:32 PM
I've had signs of things corrupting in Pleasnatview before 2007 when I was trying to play thee while I wasn learning the ropes with the game on an ancient computer where it was originally installed before moving it to my older Windows xp laptop and I was still trying to play the EA towns to test out features in new epxansions as I was adding them and the EA towns of Pleasantview,Strangetown and Veronaville are all shipped with errors that cause them to corrupt and become unplayable.I've had a town get corrupted to the point that it crashed when trying to load the town.Stange labels for interactions can show up if the game glitches out and reveals an unused and abandoned interaction they dropped and never deleted.
Theorist
#14 Old 7th Apr 2022 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I've had signs of things corrupting in Pleasnatview before 2007 when I was trying to play thee while I wasn learning the ropes with the game on an ancient computer where it was originally installed before moving it to my older Windows xp laptop and I was still trying to play the EA towns to test out features in new epxansions as I was adding them and the EA towns of Pleasantview,Strangetown and Veronaville are all shipped with errors that cause them to corrupt and become unplayable.I've had a town get corrupted to the point that it crashed when trying to load the town.Stange labels for interactions can show up if the game glitches out and reveals an unused and abandoned interaction they dropped and never deleted.

Nobody doubts that the versions of the premade neighbourhoods that shipped with the game are pretty much pre-corrupted and can go bonkers the moment you fire up the game.

But a misremembered, and possibly mistranslated interaction doesn't necessarily have to be a sign of said corruption, as others pointed out it could just be exactly that, misremembered.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Apr 2022 at 10:19 PM
I've had strange glitchy interactions happen in the game like once after intalling Seasons on my old laptop in 2007 I got the option in one of my households I was playing to put leftovers away on a platter of pork chops that were already spoiled and accidently clicked on that one while there were the usual options ot grab a plate or clean it up.I only saw that one or twice and it had to be a simple glitch that it happened and that's what could've happned to the OP.I alsp got a glitch where my sims began putting platters of spoiled food away after installing Seasons on that old compuer one time and that also had to be a glich.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Apr 2022 at 4:44 PM
Be that as it may, Tad, the game will not invent a new interaction out of the blue. A glitched plate that allows an action that can usually be used is much different than a completely new interaction that there is no trace of in the game, and neither circumstance would inherently be indicative of corruption. I think Bad Mouth being mistranslated sounds the most probable

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Theodore Geisel
"If what you are is just what you own, what have you become when they take from you almost everything?" ~Destroya, My Chemical Romance
Mad Poster
#17 Old 13th Apr 2022 at 9:55 PM
It's not ususalt for that to happen though it can sometime s happen that an action gltiches out and shows up when it's not supposed to like when it happned once on my old computer in an improperly patched game because I was unable to go online.I had one time that I could select put leftovers away on a serving platter of spoiled pork chops and one time that several platters spoiled they just put them away without me directing them to instead of cleaning them up like they would've usually done.It's known that there are many hidden glitches in the game that can happen like options showing up that shouldn't or things failing to show that should on occasions.My brother even had sims putting spoiled food away once on their own back when he used ot play.I've also head of some having nannies preparing all of the food and letting it go bad whle the adults were at work and wasting their food supplies.I had that once in my game though that was when my sims glitched out and started putting the fppd away as leftovers even though it had already spoiled.
Instructor
#18 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 11:38 AM
Tad, I don't think the nanny thing was even a glitch - it's simply how an uncontrollable sim will work. If they or another sim is hungry, they will start preparing food and if they're thrown out of the loop by something else, they will usually just start over from scratch, not finish the food they had already started making. Sometimes this means they will go through all the food in the fridge if they're left at it long enough. I suppose with how much you have modded your game by now you don't see this behaviour, but in an unmodded game it's normal for uncontrollable sims so I wouldn't say it was a glitch. Also, like Boosterbear pointed out, there is a difference between behaviour that exists in other contexts in the game and behaviour that simply isn't there. For exampe, I can expect my sims to start swimming in the ground or slow dancing with the cat - that would be behaviours that exist, but show up in the wrong context. But I wouldn't expect my sims to take the BV axe and start chopping down trees, because that's simply behaviour that doesn't exist, sims and trees don't have the ability to work like that (in an unmodded game, at least) so no matter how glitchy my game was or how corrupted my neighbourhood or even game files were getting, this wouldn't happen. It's the same thing with what Osmo95 has a memory of - it's not something that exists in the game already and it can't somehow be magicked up by corruption.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 9:21 PM
I was referring to when my not fully patched game on the older computer glitched out on the put leftovers away action and showed it in the pie menu on a plate of spoiled food when that should't have happend and about it happening a few times autonomously in an unmodded game when that action wouldn't normally happen without it being added by a Mod or the game not being correctly patched because I was unable to get online back then.
I've seen the start of this effect in my Pleasantview Epic Challenge which is taking place with the origins of the town as an early American 17th century colonial settlement and it looks like the timeline might be latered by starting with the town origins instead of playing the version shipped with the game.It loks like the OP is getting a menory from a real life alternate timeline where thatmenory actually did happen in that version of reality.This effect is something that can cause you to stagely remember two versions of your life without knowing exactly why.I have a book that features this effect in the story about a girl with two versions of her past that were both real.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 9:24 PM
Tad I love you, this is the only time I've ever heard anyone here suggest a split in the space time continuum as an explanation for weird shit in the game. Although it could explain some things that happen in my neighbourhood...
Mad Poster
#21 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 9:35 PM
@Simsample -It actually can and can explain other strange things like somebody seeming to have hallucinations and getting misdiagnosed with a mental disorder as a result of that split in reality causing them to see into another reality and it can cause splits in menories and result in us having menories from an alternative timeline.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
a split in the space time continuum
I used to regard such things as nonsense. But only a few days ago one of my Sims got a communication from a Sim living in a parallel universe. (I wasn't even playing at the time!) See for yourself here!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 14th Apr 2022 at 11:31 PM