Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 1:38 AM
Default Multi-PT mods and families
I have a question about multiple pollination tech (and ideal plantsim) mods. Does that mean alien sims will have a chance of NOT being related and thus able to date/marry/have kids?

What happens if you use these mods and your alien sim gets abducted (or your plantsim reproduces the plantsim way)? Do any mods have a system to keep them from having kids with their pt/ideal plantsim parent?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 2:01 AM
Yes, if you have multiple PTs, some half aliens will be fathered by some PT, and some will be fathered by some other PT, so they won't all be related. You can also just remove the PT from the family tree with a mod for the same effect.

The game already prevents sims from being impregnated by their own alien dad, but if you've removed the alien dad from the family tree with a mod, they don't count for that anymore.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Yes, if you have multiple PTs, some half aliens will be fathered by some PT, and some will be fathered by some other PT, so they won't all be related. You can also just remove the PT from the family tree with a mod for the same effect.

The game already prevents sims from being impregnated by their own alien dad, but if you've removed the alien dad from the family tree with a mod, they don't count for that anymore.

Thanks! I had no idea the game used a different PT for when aliens are abducted, that's neat.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 4:51 AM
It uses the same PT for half-aliens and for regular sims. If you have a multi-PT mod, it uses the same method to choose, usually that's just a random roll. If it picks a sim that is a parent of the abducted sim, they just don't get pregnant.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 5:50 AM
It uses the same PT for half-aliens and for regular sims. If you have a multi-PT mod, it uses the same method to choose, usually that's just a random roll. If it picks a sim that is a parent of the abducted sim, they just don't get pregnant.

Yikes! I'm glad I decided to get multi-pt mod before getting any aliens pregnant in my current game.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 11:22 AM
I'm suddenly creeped out by plantsims now. Without a multi ideal plantsim mod that means every plantsim, when having a plantbaby, would use their father in making their plantbaby. Every plantbaby uses the ideal plantsim genetics. That makes me question how it works with a multi ideal plantsim mod, would it not matter then if the random rolled picks their parent? I mean it doesn't matter without a multi ideal plantsim mod as that's the only option. Or does it matter then, unlike normal gameplay, making it behave differently than it normally would?
I'm creeped out by plantsims now.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
I'm suddenly creeped out by plantsims now. Without a multi ideal plantsim mod that means every plantsim, when having a plantbaby, would use their father in making their plantbaby. Every plantbaby uses the ideal plantsim genetics. That makes me question how it works with a multi ideal plantsim mod, would it not matter then if the random rolled picks their parent? I mean it doesn't matter without a multi ideal plantsim mod as that's the only option. Or does it matter then, unlike normal gameplay, making it behave differently than it normally would?
I'm creeped out by plantsims now.

If it makes you feel better, I always assumed plantsims are supposed to have one parent and that the "ideal plantsim" is only there for technical reasons. I'm more horrified by the aliens since they get pregnant and everything!

To answer your question, I assume the multiple plantsim mods do something similar to the PT ones and prevent your sim's parent from being chosen. Can anyone confirm?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by noprobllama
If it makes you feel better, I always assumed plantsims are supposed to have one parent and that the "ideal plantsim" is only there for technical reasons. I'm more horrified by the aliens since they get pregnant and everything!

To answer your question, I assume the multiple plantsim mods do something similar to the PT ones and prevent your sim's parent from being chosen. Can anyone confirm?

Come to think of it, i'm not sure plantsims get the ideal plantsim in their family tree. I know the ideal plantsim parent, whether it's the game one or one from a multi ideal plantsim mod, is used for the purposes of creating the plant-baby genetics, but I don't think they show up in the family tree? So ... it might not matter and be possible to have a plant-baby with their "father". I'm not sure. I'd have to test it out.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 11:19 PM
Plantbabies don't get ideal plantsim in their family tree, and as far as I know there's no way to tell that they were generated from his genetics. But he's not really a real sim, he's just a template.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 11:54 PM
Yeah, I've always assumed the ideal plantsim isn't real, just a handy way to bring different genetics so the baby isn't an exact clone of the Plantsim parent. I do use an ideal plantsim mod to get more variety among plantsim babies (especially if they have the same playable parent), though.

The PT thing is creepier to me because the game implies the PTs are real characters :P
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 5:12 AM
I don't see why it's creepy. It's impossible for a pollination technician to impregnate their own child, and if you remove them from the family tree you can just imagine that every half-alien has a completely different parent anyway.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 6:21 AM
I don't see why it's creepy. It's impossible for a pollination technician to impregnate their own child, and if you remove them from the family tree you can just imagine that every half-alien has a completely different parent anyway.

I'm confused by this point. First you said the game used a different PT for half-alien Sims (so they wouldn't get pregnant by their own dad) and then you said the game used the same PT for normal and half-alien Sims. I can't tell one which one it is.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 6:51 AM
It uses the same PT selection process for every sim. If the PT who gets selected is a parent of the abducted sim, they don't get pregnant. Not sure what part of this is hard to understand.
Theorist
#14 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by noprobllama

The PT thing is creepier to me because the game implies the PTs are real characters :P

No, it's not creepy either. Since the alien "parent" is just called PT without a number to identify him as an individual, he's probably meant to be a stand-in for any of the, probably millions of PTs that live in that alien civilization.

All the stuff with the family tree just happens because Maxis hadn't figured out a way to prevent it yet, by the time Plantsims came around they had already figured it out.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 4:39 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? It would have been very easy for EA to have not had the PT in the family tree. It wouldn't have worked for custom PTs, but I doubt they expected people to make those. They obviously wanted the PT in the family tree, it's not a matter of not being able to figure it out.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
No, it's not creepy either. Since the alien "parent" is just called PT without a number to identify him as an individual, he's probably meant to be a stand-in for any of the, probably millions of PTs that live in that alien civilization.

All the stuff with the family tree just happens because Maxis hadn't figured out a way to prevent it yet, by the time Plantsims came around they had already figured it out.

Oh so that'd be the reason the PT's are treated differently from the ideal plantsims. I was wondering that. Thinking "So, they can't get pregnant by the same PT that's their father but they can by the ideal plantsim?" I understood, once realizing the ideal plantsim isn't in the family tree, how that worked, but it made me wonder why they couldn't figure that out for the PT's. They just hadn't figured it out yet. That makes sense.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 7:15 PM
Unless they were damaged, they could have "figured it out". They just didn't want to do it that way.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion

Heh. I don't think my reasoning OR yours is "official", it's just how we perceive the game. I mistakenly understood that the same PT was used to get half-alien Sims pregnant, in which case that would be creepy to me. It doesn't have to be creepy to anyone else, people are free to interpret these things how they want since I don't think the game ever gives an actual explanation.

Yeah, I agree that the differences are probably due to the time and experience Maxis had by the time plantsims became a thing. The base game is complex enough and different enough from TS1 that it seems like some things weren't fully figured out when they released it.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 7:26 PM
Maybe they didn't want our sim towns invaded by aliens ... ruining our fun lol. I wonder why they didn't want to do it that way.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 7:30 PM
Maybe they didn't want our sim towns invaded by aliens ... ruining our fun lol. I wonder why they didn't want to do it that way.

That could be it! It's a shame though because "towns invaded by aliens" could make for some great Strangetown drama.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 8:38 PM
I have one plant-sim parent replacement - just because I like his face better. PTs work differently, and I have about a dozen different sets - each with 4 to 6 "pollinators". And I've geneticized most of them. I've never noticed a Sim returning "not pregnant", so maybe the game "knows" to pick a non-parent PT (when there is a choice, like with these multi-PT sets).

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 8:52 PM
It's pretty clear from the way they designed Strangetown and PT9 etc. that they wanted the PT to be a visible part of the game, unlike with the ideal plantsim. They had a particular lore idea they wanted to represent.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 8:52 PM
I haven't done anything with plantsims yet but i'm going to nd I have this multi ideal plantsim mod https://modthesims.info/d/379481/mu...l-plantsim.html
I also have this multi pt set https://modthesims.info/d/320318/lu...lti-pt-set.html
I just like variety

My Simblr
He/They
Theorist
#24 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 9:40 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? It would have been very easy for EA to have not had the PT in the family tree. It wouldn't have worked for custom PTs, but I doubt they expected people to make those. They obviously wanted the PT in the family tree, it's not a matter of not being able to figure it out.

They probably wanted a representation of the alien species that sired the alien child in the family tree. And that's all the numberless PT is as far as the lore is concerned, a representation of the species.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 9:53 PM
I haven't done anything with plantsims yet but i'm going to nd I have this multi ideal plantsim mod https://modthesims.info/d/379481/mu...l-plantsim.html
I also have this multi pt set https://modthesims.info/d/320318/lu...lti-pt-set.html
I just like variety

I have sets too, one of the good things is that you can pick sets that you think would fit your game, looks-wise. I really like the plantsim mod I've been using. I hadn't tried the alien one before posting this (I wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause family tree issues down the line) but now one of my Sims is expecting an alien baby... hopefully it'll look nice.
Page 1 of 2