Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2020 at 12:32 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default My Backup and current gameplay files got scrambled while being moved; now my game is a Frankenstein. Can anyone help?
Hi there,
I'm not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but I can't seem to find it. It seems like an unusual problem so I thought I'd start a new thread. I really don't know what to do right now.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
System Model: MacBookPro12,1
BIOS: 190.0.0.0.0 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5257U CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8094MB RAM
Page File: 5362MB used, 4012MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

I'm playing on a bootcamp'd Mac, with Windows 10 installed.

Recently I decided to go into my neighborhood backup to extract a house that I don't have in my current game. I did so by swapping my neighborhood folders out and it seemed fine. The backup was where I left it, and everything was normal. My backup isn't very recent, and I also wanted to get this house so I could then delete it and make a new one, because I'm way behind on doing that. When I switch out folders I always rename one to make sure I don't mix them up, and I did that this time. I put the current Veronaville neighborhood folder back in and renamed the other to "N003 - backup" and put it on the desktop. I'm sure there wasn't any mixup at this point, I don't see how there could have been. The problem happened when I swapped them back. When I opened the current Veronaville folder I noticed there weren't any suburbs or colleges in my neighborhood, which is true of the backup but not my town now. But then I looked at the storytelling folder, and saw recent pictures, from yesterday even. When I loaded the town, I noticed many of the lots had disappeared- but not all of them. It was a mix of my backup and my current game. The files must have gotten all scrambled. This means that sims who were children in my backup still appeared as children at the house they grew up. But they ALSO appeared in the family picture at the house they live as adults in my current game...but as children. With babies! All sorts of weird and awful things are happening in the CAS pictures in my town. Adults holding their spouses as babies, teens doing toddler poses, weird looking naked children. Help!

I'm just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone, or if there's any hope of saving my town. I've been playing this neighborhood for years and years and I've been trying all I can do to ward off corruption, and everything seemed to be going well. I know I really should be backing up more frequently. I just really love my game as it is now and want to save it, but I don't know where to start. My only thought is that maybe I could parse the files in the folders and see how old they are. I see that some of them are from 2020 and some are from 2016/2017 (when my backup is from - I play intermittently), but maybe that's how it always is. If anyone could give me any ideas on if it would be possible, or where to start, I would really appreciate it. I am willing to do painful and long-winded SimPE extractions if that's what it takes.

Thanks a lot!!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th May 2020 at 12:47 AM
When you swapped the folder did you also delete the neighbourhood manager file, this stores things about the hood. Try deleting that and let it regenerate itself.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th May 2020 at 12:50 AM
Neighborhood manager is still there.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th May 2020 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gemgirl
Neighborhood manager is still there.

Yes, it regenerates. Try deleting it as well as the two chache files inside the Sims 2 folder before loading your game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th May 2020 at 5:14 AM
Woops, sorry. Thanks - I did so, it seems the same. I've been experimenting with no results. :/ When I load one it's the old sims in new lots, the other way its old lots with new sims, with some exceptions. But swapping character and lot folders doesn't do anything?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th May 2020 at 6:53 AM
And you don't have both the new and old folder inside your neighbourhood folder, just the one?
If you have both you need to rename every file in the second folder with the hoods number so it has its own unique number. You can do this with a program that renames files as there are over 160 of them.

~Call me Jo~