Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Part-time Hermit
#126 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 7:55 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
Also the first GMND had no tsMaterialsMeshName was that right? I was playing with it again this morning and I managed to add one. Then I turned to the Shape Parts and just got to confused. As for the other stuff, I haven't gotten to those lessons yet. I was considering trying it again with another counter. I used that one because it doesn't have an island associated with it.
But I was keeping my e-mail client open in case word came in that you had posted here, lol.

You are really the best. :salute:

Btw do you get avocados much in Finland? I live in San Diego - the same county as "The Avocado Capital of the World" but I didn't know how to spell it,lol so ignorance worked in my favor there.

Yeah, the first GMND had no tsMaterialsMeshName, but I don't think it needs it, either. Somehow it appears to be the "main" one. I don't understand perfectly how it works, but I didn't add the missing tsMaterialsMeshName and it still seems to work .

No, avocados don't certainly grow here in Finland, but we do get them in the exotic fruits section at the grocery stores. The summers are too short and snowy for growing most fruit (Well, not usually snowy, but the unpredictable Finnish summer weather is infamous).

Quote:
By your suggestion, I'm posting these packages here, thanks Ignorant Bliss!! I'm trying to figure out why they're not designable. Thanks!

Here both your objects fixed . It was a simple matter of the GUID in the MMATs not being updated. You had probably clicked the Update MMATs button and committed, but I've noticed that with objects like these both are that are based on objects that are originally slaves to other objects (or maybe it's because they are stand-alone clones, I'm not sure), you need to actually check the "Update all MMATs" box, then click the Update button and commit. When I fixed that, and then the wrong GUID references on the recolors, as well, they became designeable . (I didn't do anything to the diagonal curtain itself, the problem was fixed after I fixed the main object . )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 8:19 PM
thanks that's great!!! I never knew why that button was there, but I'll remember to check it from now on when using stand alone clones... yes I did click the update all mmat's, but you're right I didn't check the box. Thanks so much!

~k
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 8:56 PM
ok I just checked out the files - the end table and straight version of the curtain are working fine. However, the diagonal version of the curtain still isn't displaying the recolors when you click on it with the design tool. So I opened it up and check the box and updated everything, committed, and saved - and it's still not working. Did it work for you?? Any ideas??

~k
Part-time Hermit
#129 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 9:05 PM
Yes, it works for me, I just double-checked. Make sure you don't have two versions of your curtain(s) in your Downloads folder or subfolders, or an older version of the diagonal (the version I have was last edited on Jan 15th 9.07pm)
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 9:27 PM
Ok - I guess I got it figured out. I need to remake all my recolors with the updated file mesh file and then they are showing up for the diagonal. Thanks so much for your patience and help!

~k
Part-time Hermit
#131 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by beautiful_blue22
Ok - I guess I got it figured out. I need to remake all my recolors with the updated file mesh file and then they are showing up for the diagonal. Thanks so much for your patience and help!

~k

If you have a lot of recolors and don't want to remake them all, you can just fix the GUID reference in the Material Override of each recolor file . Oh, and I already fixed the two recolors that were included in your uploaded package.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 10:15 PM
haha I just got done fixing them all the long way... ah well... thanks for the info I'll keep that in mind for next time... I do have a lot, 36 in fact. Thanks again for all the help! I was wondering if you fixed it when only the one recolor showed up for the night stand, I already re-did those, but all the recolors showed up for the straight version, so I didn't really think about it... it's all done yay!

~k
Field Researcher
#133 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 12:44 AM
With windows I have made I can place recolors on the diagonal but the design tool won't show me options to change them in place.
Part-time Hermit
#134 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
With windows I have made I can place recolors on the diagonal but the design tool won't show me options to change them in place.

Do you have the tsDesignModeEnabled correct for the diagonal version as well? How about the tsMaterialsMeshName?
Field Researcher
#135 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 12:08 PM
Hmm... I just checked a couple of them, a single and a double. In each the diagonal has frame and glass listed in tsDesignModeEnabled and frame and shadow under tsMaterialsMeshName. The staright in both have frame and glass in tsDesignModeEnabled and neither of them has a tsMaterialMeshName.
Part-time Hermit
#136 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 12:35 PM
You should try adding the glass to the diagonal version's tsMaterialsMeshName, although I don't know if it'll solve the problem. The straight versions don't need a tsMaterialsMeshName, only the slave objects do. If you can't figure it out still, feel free to post them here and I'll look
Lab Assistant
#137 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 3:20 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Default Newbie Questions
HI IgnorantBliss and Numenor,
I'm back....

Since,with your help, the table from JWoods tutorial worked, I wanted to branch out slightly and try another object. In the tutorial Jwoods stated that chairs were another fairly easy object for beginners. Hmm... I must be worsse off than I thought then, because this chair has a big problem. It actually works ingame, as you can see from this pic of Zydra sitting on it. Only problem is that only the seat shows up. I did check to make sure that the _default stuff that Wings #D likes to add was removed. I wasn't sure I approached the whole thing right since the chair has two meshes, but I stuggled along as best I could, figuring that I could experiment without causing permanent harm. Would one of you experienced folks take a look and see what needs fixed? Oh, the second jpg file is the mesh preview in SimPE. It shows correctly there, but not in the game.

Also, this is going to sound REALLY dumb, but how do you reuse GUID's? I don't want to waste them....

Thanks loads guys.
Screenshots
Attached Images

Field Researcher
#138 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dragonarts
I'm back....

Since,with your help, the table from JWoods tutorial worked, I wanted to branch out slightly and try another object. In the tutorial Jwoods stated that chairs were another fairly easy object for beginners. Hmm... I must be worsse off than I thought then, because this chair has a big problem. It actually works ingame, as you can see from this pic of Zydra sitting on it. Only problem is that only the seat shows up. I did check to make sure that the _default stuff that Wings #D likes to add was removed. I wasn't sure I approached the whole thing right since the chair has two meshes, but I stuggled along as best I could, figuring that I could experiment without causing permanent harm. Would one of you experienced folks take a look and see what needs fixed? Oh, the second jpg file is the mesh preview in SimPE. It shows correctly there, but not in the game.

Also, this is going to sound REALLY dumb, but how do you reuse GUID's? I don't want to waste them....

Thanks loads guys.

While we're waiting for IgnorantBliss to fix you up I just thought I'd mention that When you click on the button to "get GUID" and the dialogue box pops up you should see two tabs: "existing objects" and "new object" if you click on "existing objects" you will see a list of GUID's you have already used. Then you can highlight one and hit "use" to the lower right and that GUID will go into your new object. Conversly at the SimPE site you can go to GUID's and log in and then see a list of GUID's you have used and you can remove ones that are not longer in objects anyon is using. Once they are removed from that list they go back on the list of GUIDs that SimPE uses when asigning new ones to new objects.
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 4:34 PM
Wow! Thanks Mage, it sounds easy! (My favorite kind)
Part-time Hermit
#140 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 5:37 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Quote: Originally posted by dragonarts
I'm back....

Thanks loads guys.

Here's your fixed chair. With this chair, the original mesh subset names are "main" and "wood", but yours were called "main" and "chairdining", and since "chairdining" doesn't match the other file names in the package, it turned out invisible in the game. Before you import your meshes, take a look at the subset names on the Models list and maybe write down what they are. If you still forget, you can click on the Shape in the Resource Tree, then click on the Parts tab, and you'll see all the same names listed in there as were listed in the Models window originally. I changed the "chairdining" name to "wood", and both subsets show up fine now .

Thanks for explaining the GUIDs, Mage. Did you get your windows working?
Field Researcher
#141 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 6:38 PM
My pleasure. I haven't had a chance to get to the windows yet.
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 8:00 PM
Thanks, IgnorantBliss! Wow, do I feel silly now. I shoulda checked that. Oh well. I guess we learn as we go, don't we? Now, what shall I tackle next?... *cackle*
Field Researcher
#143 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 8:17 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Hmm I just tried to recolor my new counter and although it seems to give me the option of recoloring both textures, when it makes the object it only has one texture.
Do you think you could look at it one more time?
Thanks.
Part-time Hermit
#144 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 8:30 PM
Since both the surface and base refer to the same texture, one is probably enough. Have you tried recoloring it and see what happens? What's missing, though, is the dirty option. The dirty texture is recolorable separately, but I don't think that'll work. It may be that the dirty textures, TXMTs and MMATs have to be added manually.
Field Researcher
#145 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 2:15 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Well I tried that. But as soon as the counter got dirty it reverted to the my original dirty texture.
Part-time Hermit
#146 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 5:33 AM
I have to say that, right now, I have no idea how to fix that . The only thing I can say that, for the TXMTs for the clean parts in the recolor package, the File List refers to some armoire texture. I doubt that's going to fix the current problem, though.

I will be at work for the next 24 hours or so and can't work on objects during that time. I can try to solve this when I get back to my own computer tomorrow, but so far I have no idea how to. I will still give it a try, at least, unless someone else solves it in the meantime.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#147 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 1:06 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
MAGE - Here is your packages, fixed.

The problems that I've fixed are the following:

1) As pointed out by IgnorantBliss, in two TXMT the texture reference in the "File List" tab was wrong: it didn't match the reference in the "Properties" tab; I still don't know exactly what is the purpose of the "File List" tab, and I agree with IBliss that fixing this is irrelevant for soving the reverting problem. But I've fixed it nevertheless: who knows?

2) The most important problem was in the Material Overrides: the "Family" number; in multi-state materials (clean/dirty but also lit/unlit), all the different "states" of the same subset must have the same Family number. Now, both the "countertop" MMATs have the same number, and both the "counterfinish" have the same (but different than the countertop) number.

3) Since you have created the recolour when the mesh package was still unfixed, it was necessary to fix the MMATs in the recolour, too; all the further recolours created using the fixed version of the mesh will be working without any correction.

Let me clear up once more that these problems are not your fault: SimPE still has great problems in cloning the counters...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#148 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 1:08 PM
I've been using the material definition from the armoire on some other objects to make them match; I didn't notice I had forgotten to fix the texture name.
Thank you very much for all your help on this. I'm about ready to strt all over and clone a different counter.
Have a good shift at work.
Field Researcher
#149 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 1:15 PM
Oh! Numenor, I didn't see your post. Thank you about a million times. No that's not enough thanks. It is so good of you guys to help me like this.
Now I'm going to try and get rid of that shadow on the mesh.
Part-time Hermit
#150 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 2:17 PM
Thank you, Numenor, for fixing it. The family number was something I didn't understand. I'm so relieved that counter is finally fixed for good . Mage, I'm sorry I had left the MMAT problem into a package that I had announced "fixed". I wasn't really sure what I was doing, I was just trying to build the package based on what I could pick up from other, similar packages. This counter has taught me a lot, too .
Locked thread
Page 6 of 60