Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 5:01 PM
Default How To Have Light Shining Through A Wall?
I recently found some patterns to make a bottle wall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_wall , and I was wondering if there was a way to make the wall I apply it to act like a window, or have light shine through somehow. Alternatively, is there a way to set lights on a timer so that if I have to use an invisible light inside the wall, it turns on and off with the sun so it looks more realistic? Thank you!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by windermeresimblr
I recently found some patterns to make a bottle wall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_wall , and I was wondering if there was a way to make the wall I apply it to act like a window, or have light shine through somehow. Alternatively, is there a way to set lights on a timer so that if I have to use an invisible light inside the wall, it turns on and off with the sun so it looks more realistic? Thank you!

The bottle issue is a meshing problem. You should try sims4studio instead. They have some skilled modders there. You might be able to fake it with an object with lights on each side or something. It depends on how the game reads the object. A wall has been programmed to keep lights outside except through windows. Having ambitions of realisme can very easily turn into a constant issue. The game isn't made to do architectural visualisation.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 4:38 AM
Ok, thank you. It probably wasn't a very realistic idea in the first place. I don't think I have the creative bandwidth right now to try and make bottle windows, so probably painting the wall with the pattern is the best I can do for now.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 10:00 AM
I guess the problem is that you cannot mix the attributes. If you want actual daylight shine through it would need to be a window, which would be a different (and a full object). Maybe someone with the proper skill can create such a wallsized window, it would be very cool. Or it could be a lamp which you put in front of the wall.
There are some ITF objects that have a fake light attached to them, the sectional chairs, the counters, a wall decoration and others. But those are proper objects, too.

For wallpapers/pattern you could work with speculars etc trying to make them as shiny and bright as possible. But that would of course not relate to daylight/night. I neither know of any way to set lights on a timer.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 7:59 PM
Oh yes this is TS3 I'm so distant sometimes, fiddling along on my own planet The answer will still be the same, but sims4studio will not be able to help you. I could make the mesh itself, but someone else will have to adapt it to the game.