Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#226 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by trish2013
i have windows 8.1 pro and it is still not working i don't understand how can sims 1 work but sims 2 not work!!

This is absolutely insane!!!! I know what you mean because Sim city 4 works for me....ok sometimes when I' playing it just turns off and goes to desktop, it happens sometimes, I just save the game every 5 minutes....BUT this SIMS 2 has to work!!! I am so annoyed by this! I have an Intel 4000 Graphics card on an Intel core i3 laptop. I was told that old games would work for me. I have this chap arrange Sim City 4 to fit full screen for me and he did it pretty well. I bought sims 3 just yesterday, I am disgusted by it, what a hopeless game! Sins 2 Is by far the best. I don't know why people can't just let things be. As a kid I loved video cassettes, then some creep came along inventing DVD, I managed to adapt to them, but now some nut case has invented Blue ray.... I mean really...So then, any one has any suggestions for me. Is it my graphics card?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#227 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 12:52 AM Last edited by LittleFlower1995 : 17th Sep 2014 at 1:33 AM. Reason: I made a small mistake.
Um, I do what it's been told, but now my body shop won't work... It'll open, but it's a blank screen of where the sim should be. It won't even show what I'm working on before I download it or save in the game.

Can you help? I have windows 8

Up date: Sorry XD forgot that we have to put grumpy down to xp 2
Test Subject
#228 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 8:48 AM
So I installed Double deluxe. It gave me Hell!, I noticed that when I was ONLINE it gave me a different message as to why the program will not run. Today I changed the compatibility to windows XP server 2, logged off the internet and it worked!! How bizarre is that!

Any how after going on create a sim it said "Program crashed and will now terminate" I re-ran it and it's working fine. Now I'm off to install University and the rest of them. I hope all goes well.
Test Subject
#229 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 8:49 AM
BTW it runs fine in Compatibility mode for windows 7 and XP service pack 2.
Test Subject
#230 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 10:02 AM
This is sooooooooooooooooooooo irritating!!!! Can anyone please find some magic wand or something. I have spent hours on end now trying to fix this, someone from the EA forums, recommended this and it worked for some people: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2...ace/m-p/3407189

I did it but it still crashes!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I want to smash something!
Mad Poster
#231 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 12:57 PM
Try this.

Quote:
Now for Windows 8 and 8.1, some players have no problems at all so for those you don't need to do this.

To get mods to work in 8/8.1 some players need to turn off "User Account Control" and change both the programs folder and My Doc. folder for the UC to read and write otherwise the OP system will stop mods from working.

1. Disconnect from the internet then turn off "User Account Control". *(Or UAC.)
2. Restart your computer.
3. Check after restart that UAC is turned off.
4. Change Program folder for UC to read and write.
5. Some times it takes a restart for this to take effect.
6. Change My Doc. for UC to read and write.
7. Some times it takes a restart for this to take effect.
8. Now try your mods and if they work then restart your computer.
9. Check again that mods are working, if so then turn back on UAC.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
#232 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 11:40 PM
My problem is not with Mods but with this blessed game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It happened before I downloaded items! You have no clue how worked up I am about all this, because Sim city 4 works fine but this doesn't.

Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Try this.
Test Subject
#233 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 5:17 AM
Thanks to the person who posted the solution on yahoo answers. I realised from there that there are 2 program files x64 and x86. Problem is that sims 2 being an older game doesn't detect the drivers when put in the x86 folder. Tried some software which said it can't detect my intel hd graphics card and can't find directx driver when sims 2 was in the x86 folder. It also crashes in CAS and gives black screen in other compatibility modes. So I just installed sims 2 in program files (x64) and it works. No longer crashes in CAS. I think EA automatically installs Sims 2 ultimate collection in program files (x86) when downloaded from origin, so CAS still crashes. The unable to detect graphic card issue.
Test Subject
#234 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 12:50 AM
I tried downloading Grumpy Loader at least 3 times and each time, it's downloaded as a nonexistent ".7z" file.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong and how to get it to work? Thanks, and sorry if this had been answered before.
Test Subject
#235 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:56 AM
Will this method work will all expansions and all stuff packs? I just tried it with University and so far so good. Thanks
Test Subject
#236 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 6:30 PM
I need help i have a windows 8 computer i downloaded the ultimate collection in july then i got a new computer it worked fine for 3 weeks and now it won't open i used the graphic rule thing and everything but all what comes up is a red X nothing else. WHAT SHOULD I DO I REALLY LIKE THE SIMS 2 D:
Test Subject
#237 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 11:05 AM
I just upgraded to 8.1 and it works and dosen't crash but things keep disapperaing ehen i build or buy then flash back also the house flashes any one know why.
Test Subject
#238 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 3:55 AM
Default I miss the sims :'(
Thanks for your post it was really helpful
However I have downloaded all of the patches and grumpy loader, changed the compatibility settings and even tried manually installing the base game and expansion packs and it still won't work
When I try to install a patch it just says that the patch has stopped working and closes
I have spent 2 full weeks trying to play the sims and I am about to give in and throw my laptop out of the window xD
Is there anything else I can try? Thanks!
Scholar
#239 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 6:47 PM Last edited by Kankritty : 12th Nov 2014 at 7:03 PM.
Hey all - I have Windows 8.1 with the Ultimate Collection

1) Download off Origin
2) Check for updates
3) Repair the game files (just in case)
4) Run the game vanilla to get all the files all set

I have got past the intro and the initial loading screen with a few minor issues due to loading. Took about 5 mins vanilla.

ETA: CAS is fine in all areas so far, moving into a lot is fine so far. Just a few minor graphics glitches like simpleTerrain (http://modthesims.info/t/479610)

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Instructor
#240 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 11:33 PM Last edited by vllygrl : 19th Nov 2014 at 4:29 AM. Reason: refined information
Default OFB items not showing up in catalog?
Well, I finally got the game running on windows 8.1, all ep's and all stuff packs and it seemed to be running very well. Suddenly after about 2 weeks however, it seems that all the OFB items have mysteriously disappeared from the catalog! In other words, I can't run a business, because there is no open/closed sign, cash register, that price-setter thingy, no craft benches, nothing!
Help! I have no idea what happened, as they were working initially, and I haven't changed anything since I got the installation up and running.
Any help anyone can offer gratefully accepted!
Thanks!
~Vllygrl

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Scholar
#241 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:20 PM
Hey @Vllygrl

Have you tried repairing the game files and updating your game through Origin (if you have bought through Origin)?
Try removing your .cache files located in the My Documents area of TS2.

Instructor
#242 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 4:15 PM
Thanks for responding with great suggestions, Kankritty! I do routinely delete cache files, so I did try that. I installed all my games from original purchased discs (not from Origin). After a couple of hours of researching and troubleshooting and digging around, I discovered that OFB was not properly installed, so I reinstalled it (out of order, I know!) and it appears to be running fine (fingers crossed!) It is running in compatibility mode xp service pack 2. I didn't have a lot of time to test it out last night because it took me so long to figure it out, but I will do more testing tonight to ensure it is working properly. Wish me luck!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Scholar
#243 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
Thanks for responding with great suggestions, Kankritty! I do routinely delete cache files, so I did try that. I installed all my games from original purchased discs (not from Origin). After a couple of hours of researching and troubleshooting and digging around, I discovered that OFB was not properly installed, so I reinstalled it (out of order, I know!) and it appears to be running fine (fingers crossed!) It is running in compatibility mode xp service pack 2. I didn't have a lot of time to test it out last night because it took me so long to figure it out, but I will do more testing tonight to ensure it is working properly. Wish me luck!

Ah you're a disc user!
I'm not a lot more help I'm afraid.

Field Researcher
#244 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 12:15 AM Last edited by Steffyn : 25th Nov 2014 at 6:21 PM.
I got a computer after months of waiting yesterday and I managed to get everything working but my mods. I tried the tutorial with the UAC, but it didn't work at all. I'm really not sure of what to do, because over the last three years, I've collected a folder of mods that work well for my playing style and I'd like to keep it that way so I can go back to the things I used to do in the community. CAS CC works just fine, as does default replacements, but things like ACR 2, Sim Blender, no red lines at pause, and every fix hack I have just don't work. I'm just about my wit's end on what to do. I've looked just about everywhere and nothing seems to work.
Scholar
#245 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Steffyn
I got a computer after months of waiting yesterday and I managed to get everything working but my mods. I tried the tutorial with the UAC, but it didn't work at all. I'm really not sure of what to do, because over the last three years, I've collected a folder of mods that work well for my playing style and I'd like to keep it that way so I can go back to the things I used to do in the community. CAS CC works just fine, as does default replacements, but things like ACR 2, Sim Blender, no red lines at pause, and every fix hack I have just don't work. I'm just about my wit's end on what to do. I've looked just about everywhere and nothing seems to work.

so no MODS work?
Try looking on here: http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...ims_2_Game_Help
You might have to remove the .cache files in My Documents part of the files.

Field Researcher
#246 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 2:12 AM
I went through that just as I was about to post a thread with deeper details and it turns out that I had to fix a line userProps to get my objects working and redownload all of my mods. I just didn't think of that solution because I hadn't ever encountered that before, but everything is working now as it should.
Test Subject
#247 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 9:09 PM
Thank you so much for this thread, it has helped so much.... I have a problem though!
I installed all the games (through to Bon Voyage) fine on windows 8 using these instructions. Then I discovered that through an error of my own the folder for university hadn't formed correctly so had to uninstall and start again.

This time round they've all installed fine (testing each time) up until Bon Voyage and now if I try and test Bon Voyage I get this message "This application is not compatible with the installed operating system. Please upgrade to Windows 98SE, Windows 200 or better".

Apart from a giggle to myself that they're correct that ANYTHING would be better than windows 8... what do I do? I've tried changing the compatibility mode and none work :S
Scholar
#248 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tequilamonkey
Thank you so much for this thread, it has helped so much.... I have a problem though!
I installed all the games (through to Bon Voyage) fine on windows 8 using these instructions. Then I discovered that through an error of my own the folder for university hadn't formed correctly so had to uninstall and start again.

This time round they've all installed fine (testing each time) up until Bon Voyage and now if I try and test Bon Voyage I get this message "This application is not compatible with the installed operating system. Please upgrade to Windows 98SE, Windows 200 or better".

Apart from a giggle to myself that they're correct that ANYTHING would be better than windows 8... what do I do? I've tried changing the compatibility mode and none work :S

Try running it as an admin?

Test Subject
#249 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
Try running it as an admin?

Thanks for the suggestion but after giving up all hope I tried restarting the computer and suddenly it worked! Got it up and running for my daughter and have managed to put Freetime on for her too! Phew. I'm hoping her ten-year-old brain will somehow intuitively figure out how to use Windows 8 and then she can teach me
Instructor
#250 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 5:35 PM
I installed the ultimate collection on my Windows 8 laptop, it runs but it's SO laggy and slow I don't get why. Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor (1.7 GHz, 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost, 3 MB cache)
RAM : 8 GB DDR3
Graphics card: AMD Radeon™ R7 M260 (2 GB)
Storage: 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm

On paper it should run swimmingly but it's just so slow Slower than The Sims 3 and 4. Why is this?
Page 10 of 13