Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#76 Old 9th Aug 2006 at 10:18 PM
Obie505, I've already replied you on this thread. Try not to post the same question on different forums, if you don't want to confuse who is trying to help you.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 8:56 PM
Default Straight and Diagonal won't link...
IgnorantBliss,

I wondered if you could help me out. I followed your tutorial step by step, including Numenor's part of linking the straight and diagonal version of my new window. But it won't work ! Could you check the package files ?

Thanks.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  UX_TallEmbrasurePair.rar (24.6 KB, 15 downloads)

"Life itself is not very interesting, it's the people you meet that make life interesting"
The ModFather
retired moderator
#78 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 9:12 AM
SimtopiX, the linking was done correctly. I've only noticed an oddity in the OBJD of the diagonal, and I've fixed it. I'm not sure 100% that it was the cause of the problem, but anyway now it works in my game.

This is what I've done.
In the multi-tile objects, there are several OBJD files; there must be *one* "Master" tile and *one* "Lead" tile.
Both can be recognized looking into the "Placement" section of the OBJD: the Master has the field 0x000B (Multi-tile sub index) set to 0xffff, while the Lead tile has the field 0x003F (Multi-tile lead object) set to 0x0001.

In your diagonal, both OBJD had the "Multi-tile Lead Object" field set to 1, so I've reset to zero the OBJD that was not a lead tile.

While I was there, I've also deleted the many TXMTs that SimPE imports by mistake (almost 70 TXMTs related to other windows, and unnecessary in your package).

Now the window can be correctly placed on diagonal walls. Just check the shadow of the diagonal: the original shadow is still visible.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TallEmbrasurePair.rar (22.2 KB, 13 downloads)

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#79 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 11:27 AM
Numenor, you're the greatest !

I'll try to fix the shadow, but I'm quite sure it won't show up any more after changing the shadowmesh. It's a small problem I had with other windows I've created.

Thanks !

"Life itself is not very interesting, it's the people you meet that make life interesting"
The ModFather
retired moderator
#80 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 12:40 PM
Most creators just delete the shadowmesh and all the related TXMT and textures. The overall look of the window will still be quite good, even without shadows (that in most cases is invisible, anyway).

Test Subject
#81 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 2:55 PM
Add or remove tiles...
I just want to know if it is possible to add (or remove) tiles to windows. I would like to make a four- and five-tile window, but the largest ones provided by Maxis (to clone) are only three tiles wide.

Thanks.

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#82 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 3:06 PM
Removing tiles is easier than adding them. One of the 2-story windows is four tiles wide, and what you can do it clone that, then delete the Object Data, Object Functions and Lightning files for the second story tiles, and only leave the ones on the first floor.

Alternatively, you could ask Zookini if you could clone his 4-tiles wide window (which is based on a clone by me).
Field Researcher
#83 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 6:17 AM
Thank you for this wonderful tutorial. I have two questions. Since the "glass" is not recolorable, is it possible to add a subset to the window that is recolorable? And with that new subset, can the texture be animated?

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#84 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 6:28 AM
Yes, you can add a recolorable subset, as long as it's no more than a total of 2 recolorable subsets. And animating that texture should be possible by using JWoods' tutorial on animation cell recolors, although I've never tried it myself.

By the way, the textureless glass is in most cases made recolorable by the CEP, so you will have to remove the glass from the recolorable subsets if you want to replace it with another.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 3:17 PM
Thank you for your quick response. I will look more into the glass being recolorable.

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 8:19 PM
I have made a new window as I needed to put some new glass in to make it recolourable, in my game the coloured glass looks really good, however in my two testers games the windows are great in the catalogue but purple in the walls? Any ideas. Thanks for your great tutorial and help!
Screenshots
Scholar
#87 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 8:38 PM
Claire It looks like you didn't fix/create a new wall mask for your mesh. Look and see in your texture files (TMXT) for them
Test Subject
#88 Old 29th Jan 2007 at 9:17 AM
Is there a way, if i already have the mesh of a window, to make it also in diagonal mode?
thanks
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#89 Old 29th Jan 2007 at 9:58 AM
Yes, my tutorial explains how to make the diagonal version, and there is a link to Numenor's article on how to link it to the straight version.
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 5:27 PM
Quicky question -

I am first-timing this - and will be referring to both this and the "start to finish" tutorial. This tutorial registers new guids at the start, whereas the "start to finish" tuts assign guids after mapping etc...does it matter when I assign the guids?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#91 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 6:23 PM
No, it does not matter at which point to assign the new GUIDs, and long as you do it at some point, and update the MMATs after assigning the new GUIDs.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 6:38 PM
Thank you very much ^^

I suspected as much but felt I should confirm. This is an awesome tutorial btw, nice and easy to understand. After wrestling with tutorials for both Milkshape and Wings 3d over the past few days, this one makes the whole thing seem "doable". Wish me luck as I have meshes made and hope they turn out!
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 15th May 2007 at 6:24 PM
is it possible to create such meshes with wings 3d?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#94 Old 15th May 2007 at 6:29 PM
Yes, making windows and doors should be possible with Wings 3D, as far as I know, just never used that program myself .
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 17th May 2007 at 2:54 PM
Hi, I created a window with this great tutorial, but I got one little problem, I replaced the texture thats called :genericrectangularsharpguob-alpha_txtr
by a simple white texture, but now there's a sort of black frame at the wall around the window, any idee how to fix this?
(I cloned the window from the one used in this tuturial.)
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#96 Old 17th May 2007 at 5:15 PM
If you want to make the shadow invisible, you need to make the shadow texture completely black .
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 31st May 2007 at 6:54 PM
owk I've got another question
I want to make a set with a two tile and a one tile window, but I can't find two windows with the same sort of glass that are compatible with the main game, so is it possible to change the textures of the glass or didn't I see two windows with the same glass texture?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#98 Old 31st May 2007 at 7:14 PM
Most windows don't have a texture for the glass, but, yes, it's possible to change it just like any texture if there is one, and it's also possible to add a texture if there isn't.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 2:17 PM
and where can I find how to add a texture?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#100 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 4:18 PM
Numenor has a tutorial on adding a broken glass texture to a window.
Page 4 of 5