Replies: 6 (Who?), Viewed: 150 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 8:16 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is it safe to replace default skins?
This is probably a silly question but I've seen in some places that you can't and other places that you can. The skintones I currently have in my game don't add any extra shades in between, they just have 4 options. I've recently changed styles in my game and my current skintones just don't match the rest of my stuff. Sorry if this is silly ^^' Thanks !!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 10:46 PM
Yeah, just swap them to the new ones, delete caches (groups.cache, accessory.cache and cigen if you've used bodyshop, they're under (my)documents > EA Games > Sims 2 folder) and that should do the trick. If you get missmatched skins in game take sim to mirror, change something about their appearance and that should fix it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmanic
Yeah, just swap them to the new ones, delete caches (groups.cache, accessory.cache and cigen if you've used bodyshop, they're under (my)documents > EA Games > Sims 2 folder) and that should do the trick. If you get missmatched skins in game take sim to mirror, change something about their appearance and that should fix it.


Thanks so much !!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 11:28 PM
Regular "garden variety" default replacement skins - the ones that are just plain regular skintone texture swaps without any tinkering going on in other files - are perfectly safe to swap out every once in a while, and shouldn't cause any problems. It's the ones that's been tinkered with you want to be careful with.

If you open up a default replacement file and there are just TXTR resources in it (plus a compressed resource form the compressorizer) and all are named something like "anbodynaked" or afface" (combo of age/gender, body+naked/cut/fit, face or hair), that's usually a safe one. If it has TXMTs, 3DIRs, PropertySets, or other resources, chances are it could have some extra changes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Regular "garden variety" default replacement skins - the ones that are just plain regular skintone texture swaps without any tinkering going on in other files - are perfectly safe to swap out every once in a while, and shouldn't cause any problems. It's the ones that's been tinkered with you want to be careful with.

If you open up a default replacement file and there are just TXTR resources in it (plus a compressed resource form the compressorizer) and all are named something like "anbodynaked" or afface" (combo of age/gender, body+naked/cut/fit, face or hair), that's usually a safe one. If it has TXMTs, 3DIRs, PropertySets, or other resources, chances are it could have some extra changes.


So I already went and replaced the skins, whoops. I only went into the game for a few minutes to check what they looked like and then closed it, so hopefully it's okay haha. But, I looked in the default replacement file and there were quite a few TXMT files : https://imgur.com/a/GC1tj66

If it helps, I currently use these skins : https://modthesims.info/d/221480/na...-03-mar-07.html and would like to swap to these : https://noodlesims.tumblr.com/post/...lend-for-my-own
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 12:21 PM
If it's only TXMTs it's probably fine. Doesn't look like those particular ones are doing anything other than being there in the files and maybe helping the TXTRs to show (although it doesn't look like they've been edited, so I'd guess they don't do much).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
If it's only TXMTs it's probably fine. Doesn't look like those particular ones are doing anything other than being there in the files and maybe helping the TXTRs to show (although it doesn't look like they've been edited, so I'd guess they don't do much).


Great ! Thanks so much
Back to top