Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2022 at 2:22 AM
Default Vertical-shifting objects without invisibility?
Hey, it's my first time posting a thread here, normally I do everything I can to just figure it out on my own, but this one's got me stumped. I've had this idea for a while to use the vertical-shifting functionality of granthes' OMSP or one of the variations and just apply it directly to certain CC items that are otherwise more or less dependent on pairing with OMSP surfaces for any practical use.
Well, I've just now succeeded at copying a vertical-shifting OMSP and changing its mesh (a modified version of newshoes' 90-degree tipsy OMSP), as well as a few other texturing bells and whistles that aren't entirely relevant at the moment. The problem is, this object, while it does everything I want it to in build/buy mode, becomes invisible when switching back to live mode, because it's essentially just a modified OMSP. I tried researching, I tried digging through the package files and comparing with several others, but for the life of me, I can't figure out which part/parts give it the vertical-shifting and invisible live mode functionality, so I'm stuck with an object that functions perfectly in build/buy mode, but comes out useless as it's invisible in live mode.
Does anyone have some pointers on how to either disable the invisibility on this OMSP-based object or maybe alternative methods of vertical shifting that don't require it to snap to a wall slot? Thanks for reading!
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 15th May 2022 at 3:47 PM
I'm not actually sure how the OSMP works shifting-wise but it sounds like it's done with the script as that's how the visibility is done.
So I think if you want something shiftable that's not done with the existing flag in S3PE, you'd have to look into making a script mod. Though with using OMSP as a reference it shouldn't be too hard to code
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th May 2022 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
I'm not actually sure how the OSMP works shifting-wise but it sounds like it's done with the script as that's how the visibility is done.
So I think if you want something shiftable that's not done with the existing flag in S3PE, you'd have to look into making a script mod. Though with using OMSP as a reference it shouldn't be too hard to code

Thanks! I had a feeling that might be the case. I noticed the original granthes OMSP package has an S3SA inside, which just seems to be pointing to a location to read the script from (or at least that's my guess), but since the other OMSPs don't have S3SAs in their package files, I'm not entirely sure how they're referencing the script, but I suppose I have a guess.
What I'm a little more stumped on is how to actually get a look at that script that makes OMSPs work so I can use it as reference for a new script in the first place. I've definitely coded before in several different languages, so that's not the problem, but modding always seems to have its own hurdles on top of just knowing how to make the thing that the mod will use :')
I know there are scripting tutorials on MTS and I've tried following them several times before but I always seem to just get stuck in the "setting things up" phase and never really managed to figure out how to look at the scripts of existing mods to get a feel for how it works, or how to make the script work with the game. Some of these concepts, I feel, either just were not given enough detail (or perhaps just not the right details I needed, different learning styles and all) in tutorials, or the tutorial was outdated and had information that contradicted what I was seeing in such ways that I couldn't manage to work my way around it to just be able to follow the next step. So I'm at a bit of a loss. I've been wanting to get into script mods for a while, I know how to write script, but I don't know how to get it to work as a game mod for TS3 and I don't know how to dissect a game mod for my own reference beyond opening packages in S3PE and reading the details inside. If there are actually tutorials for these specific parts of the process that I've somehow overlooked, though, I'd love to see them.