Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 1:29 AM
Default How old are the Pleasantview premades at the start?
I am restarting Pleasantview and i am trying out new age spans. and i can't decide on how old do you think everyone is IRL age(ex: Nina and Dina 25, Don 28). So how old is everyone according to you?

I need a cigarette
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 2:40 AM
I had a similar musing and posted these a couple years ago. Maybe my look at things might help you figure out what you wanna do.
Pleasantview ages and The ones I forgot.

Since postin those I've sorta "refined" things a bit addin a day or so here or there/ subtractin a day here or there.... but maybe this will give you an idea of how you'd like to give them ages.

The one change that I've considered since I did this was that the Oldies I think should be much older and more around Mortimer's parents age and not his.
Theorist
#3 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 11:27 AM
Personally i never bother with ascribing fixed human ages to Sims. Unless you mod the aging process, they just don't age in the same proportions as we do. And the premades are also problematic in that several of their ages don't make sense in relation to each other (Brandi is too young to have Dustin as a son, for example, and her third baby was conceived after her husband's death, but still has him as the father)

I'd call Cassandra, the Caliente Sisters and Don "Young Adults" (not the College life state, the real life demographic)
Brandi, John and Jennifer "Adult" (I usually adjust Brandi's age)
and Darren, Daniel and Mary-Sue "Middle Aged"

Though I've long since modded my aging so that the Adult life stage lasts 39 days so in my game it's 39-29 "young adult" 29-10 "adult" 10-0 "Middle Aged" it still doesn't resemble human aging (and I don't want it to) but it helps me roleplay the characters better.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 12:02 PM
As I work using Almighty Hat's Realistic Aging mod, I wanted to assign ages to all my sims in the Uberhood... using the children's ages to make estimates as to the parents' ones. Childless sims were given arbitrary ages within their age level that seemed to fit.

Pulls up her spreadsheet with everything on it... let me see...
Angela and Lilith Pleasant started at 14, with Mary-Sue 38 and Daniel 40. Mary-Sue's parents Coral and Herb Oldie were 63 and 65 respectively.
Brandi Broke was made 37, to account for Dustin being 13, and Beau 2.5. I decided that Skip had died within the last 3 months, to account for Brandi being pregnant but not yet showing.
John and Jennifer Burb were 34 and 35 respectively (which ties Jennifer in well with brother Daniel's age too). Lucy started at 7.
Mortimer Goth was too young for retirement - I altered his age down to 54 and gave him his Science job back. Cassandra was 21 and Alexander was 8.
Darren Dreamer was 43, Dirk was 13.
The Caliente sisters were both 28, and Don Lothario was 29.

Bella Goth was a special case - I mentioned the backstory to her crazy aging in another thread: 1 year for every 7 that passed. When Bella disappeared, she was 41 and Mort was 47, but now she's only 42. Her slow aging is a result of the alien experiments, and she will continue to age this way for the rest of her life.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#5 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 4:41 PM
Putting real life logic to Sim lifespans makes my head hurt... For me, a system like Orphalesion's is best for me.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 2:44 PM
One note if you are figuring ages. Don is a doctor, so he has to be in his late twenties or early 30’s. Also, I always look at the age difference between Jennifer and Daniel as well as Bella and Michael. I figure Brandi was a teen Mom, so adjust her age accordingly. I don’t like my elders too old because I want to play them, but having Mary Sue too close to her parents age is weird. Well, maybe not one note, but a few.
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th May 2022 at 11:15 PM
Default Other Neighborhoods Real Life Ages
Quote: Originally posted by Selly_2009
As I work using Almighty Hat's Realistic Aging mod, I wanted to assign ages to all my sims in the Uberhood... using the children's ages to make estimates as to the parents' ones. Childless sims were given arbitrary ages within their age level that seemed to fit.

Pulls up her spreadsheet with everything on it... let me see...
Angela and Lilith Pleasant started at 14, with Mary-Sue 38 and Daniel 40. Mary-Sue's parents Coral and Herb Oldie were 63 and 65 respectively.
Brandi Broke was made 37, to account for Dustin being 13, and Beau 2.5. I decided that Skip had died within the last 3 months, to account for Brandi being pregnant but not yet showing.
John and Jennifer Burb were 34 and 35 respectively (which ties Jennifer in well with brother Daniel's age too). Lucy started at 7.
Mortimer Goth was too young for retirement - I altered his age down to 54 and gave him his Science job back. Cassandra was 21 and Alexander was 8.
Darren Dreamer was 43, Dirk was 13.
The Caliente sisters were both 28, and Don Lothario was 29.

Bella Goth was a special case - I mentioned the backstory to her crazy aging in another thread: 1 year for every 7 that passed. When Bella disappeared, she was 41 and Mort was 47, but now she's only 42. Her slow aging is a result of the alien experiments, and she will continue to age this way for the rest of her life.

Did you happen to do Veronaville and Strangetown real life ages like you did for pleasantview?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th May 2022 at 6:52 PM
I would take a look at each family and figure out what ages made sense for each sim based on years as each year lasts 40 days in my game.My Pleasantview Epic Challenge had Eli and Ami Jankowsky at 12 or 13 years old in the spring of 1600 when they first arrived on board the old wooden saling ship after over a month at sea.The Pleasant couple would be twelve year olds on arrival as adulthood was reached much younger in the 17th century.My Pleasanview families in my challenge version are founding ancestors of the modern Pleasantview families.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 11th May 2022 at 9:03 PM
I'm in the camp of thinking real ages for my sims is tiring. However, I view toddlers as being 3, children 8, teens 17, young adults 18 (Freshmen), 19 (Sophomore), 20 (Junior), 21 (Senior), adults' ages I just base on where they are in life, same goes for elders. So yes, my sims do jump from 8 to 17

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th May 2022 at 5:46 AM
I vould figure out that the youngest at just about three years old was the Broke toddler while Dustin might've been nine and that children are from three to nine years ols when aging up happens and they become a teen image.I think the girls in the Pleasant family might be nearing ten years old and that the Freamer boy is ten.The older ones are from younger adult to elder ages.Mine in my early Pleasnatview from my challenge are basically adults legally at nine years old though not physically matued until closeer to twelve.Rich families from those days often let children stay chilren longer than poor families who had no choice.at;s because my PEC is taking place in the 17th century colonial era in Pleasantview.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th May 2022 at 12:56 PM
Ah, ages: I've got an aging mod by Inge that resets the ages for all of the pixels, but here's what I believe to be the ages:

The teens are 12, having 6 more days to grow up to adult stage
The kids are about 6-7, 6 days to grow up to teens.
Toddlers are 3, with 3 days to grow up to children
Babies have 3 days to grow up to toddlers.
The adults are about 25-30, so when they grow into elders they're about 60.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th May 2022 at 5:49 PM
As I imagine that Sims aren't people, "age" isn't a concept to them. I believe if it were possible to visit a community lot with a bunch of Sims on it and say, "Hi, I'm Jaytee95, I'm (age)," they'd glitch out for a moment unsure of what they've been asked and respond, "Hi, I'm Melissa Fancey, I'm an adult."

Another reason I don't think of numbered ages is Elixir; it's possible for teens, adults, and elders to remain as such for probably an indefinite period of time by fulfilling their wants.

Edit to add that I'm well aware this topic was originally posted several years ago and brought back up by an account registered years ago with a total of one post.
Theorist
#13 Old 13th May 2022 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
One note if you are figuring ages. Don is a doctor, so he has to be in his late twenties or early 30’s.

That's real world logic though, which is not necessarily applicable to the game. He's at job level 5, and you can reach that level pretty fast. And he's 28 (out of 29) days away from ageing to an elder, so he's only on his second day of being an adult. He's younger than Cassandra, even.

Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
I figure Brandi was a teen Mom,

No such thing in the game though, unless one installs a mod.

The premades are just wonky in many ways, due to them being created at their current ages, relationships and job levels rather than having grown into them as Sims that were actually played would be.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#14 Old 13th May 2022 at 10:37 PM
What about the Oldies' and Mortimer Goth? When I played the Beginning of Pleasantview, I had the Oldies' much older than Mortimer. Mortimer seems to die way before Herb and Coral in the Maxis Pleasantview.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Field Researcher
#15 Old 14th May 2022 at 5:16 AM Last edited by Joselle : 15th May 2022 at 5:14 AM.
My determinations (without directly looking at my notes) were for a story I planned to put up here: since the year the game came out is 2004, I started with that.

Next, due to a piece of lost Maxis content (a certain hairstyle given to a sim that looked suspiciously like Mortimer Goth) I decided then and there that Mort would HAVE to be 15 in 1955, and so he'd be 49 at the start of the game (when I get around to setting all that up again--50 is the start of elderhood for me, so he'll still be an adult when I "fix" things). Bella is the same age as Mort, but I haven't quite decided how to handle her disappearance, so I'll come back to that later.

As for Angela and Lilith will be 16, which somehow feels about right, since they are teen girls and it could lead to one heck of a part of the story where they get uneven Sweet 16's. When it comes to aging teens (or anyone in my hood), I have a series of calculations I do, and so they don't actually reach the end of the Teen stage: they reach a certain day and then are promptly shipped off to University.

EDIT: THIS^ is why I shouldn't try to math at night! Mortimer and Bella are both going to be 64 in my hood when I get back around to the game's original starting point time-wise. Now, will I have her be "abducted" before then? Will she be aging less than him (as someone above me suggested)? Who knows!