Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 11:58 AM
Default Game Guide: Dating
How does one have a good date? What's the best way to have a dream date? What are the "prizes" you get for a good date? What about a bad one?

Please post your info here! You may post new tips, links to old threads that contain lots of good information, etc.

It will be added to this game guide, with credit to the original poster:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ame_Help:Dating

Help S2C create the best game guides on the whole of the internets! Post your tips on Dating here today, or the rest of us will just be confused. :dolt:

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 7:53 PM
When the date timer comes up, you can click the aspiration symbol on it to immediately see all of your date's wants and fears. This "Mind reading" is VERY helpful! Doing something that they get aspiration points for will give a bigger boost to the score than just building the relationship does. (Especially if BOTH parties get aspiration points for it.) If your sim or your date gets stuck coming up with really silly wants for a date, you can try to re-roll by either Flirt: Check sim out for you or Ask: Do you like what you see? for your date.

Always pay attention to the turn ons and turn offs of your date. If your date likes cologne, use some. If your date likes makeup, add some. There are some Maxis eyeshadows or lipsticks which don't look too bad on a guy, and if your date likes makeup on a guy you are likely to improve the date score if you wear it. Better chemistry can help a lot. (But don't bother trying to get it over three lightning bolts. It only goes up to 3) And if all else fails, get the love potion from the gypsy.

I tend to ignore wants to dine out, however, unless there is a reason to believe they are actually hungry. You get the quick aspiration burst, but then you end up wasting time which you could be spending on other wants. You can get some table interactions under flirt, play,or kiss (if it has a little chair icon on the menu entry, you can do it without leaving the table.), but it takes a long time to get seated and the time is usually better spent flirting, playing, hugging, kissing, etc. without having to wait for a table. If you insist on dining out, try to build your date level up to at least "good" before you leave for the restaurant, or try meeting your date on the lot before you start the date. And if you have a good date while dining out, check your mail sometime in the next few days for a coupon for a free meal. (I have also gotten free meals from good scored outings.)

If you do not wish to have Mrs Crumplebottom interfering on your date, you can either put a community dating lot somewhere other than Downtown, or you can go somewhere with a bowling alley, card table, or juice bar. (Or a combination of the above.) She is addicted to all three, so she will be too busy to bother with people making out right in front of her.

It helps to get a car of your own as soon as you can. This lets you go to another lot without wasting time waiting for the taxi, and boosts your motives a bit in the process. You can also have your sims roll a want to woohoo in the car, which is a separate want from wanting to woohoo with the other sim. Unfortunately, it seems to count as public woohoo (funny, that.) This means that you can concievably have even a knowledge sim wanting to have public woohoo with three different sims (on a date!) if you let them go at it in the car too often.

Being kissed, talked to, flirted with, hugged, played with, tickled, or dance/slow danced with also counts as doing it yourself, so you can fill a date's want for those interactions by having your sim initiate them. Backrubs seem to be one-way, though. (Slow dance DOES count as dancing with, so if there is no music and both sims want to dance with each other you can use the slow dance to fill that want.)

Avoid places where you will encounter jealous ex-s. This will drop a date score immediately. Also watch out for the "sore loser" or "cheater" syndrome with grouchy sims. A sim caught cheating in a game of chess or darts will drop the relationship, and thus the date score. And some grouchy sims are sore losers and become furious with their opponant if they lose a game, dropping the date score as badly as an encounter with another lover would. If you have a reason to believe that either sim has a niceness score under 4 or 5, it is usually best to avoid chess or darts on a date (or an outing), even if they want to play. You can easily turn a Dream Date into a Disaster in a matter of seconds.

The date timer will get another 2 hours added each time you improve to the next level for the first time, and both sims get a small motive boost from that as well. You also get a small motive boost for ending the date on a Great Time or Dream Date.

If you have a Dream date, you will get a large bouquet of flowers, for a great time, you get a single rose in a vase, for a good time you get a love letter, for a Disaster you get a flaming bag of poo.

For really good dates, you can sometimes get gifts like TVs, Stereos, statues, etc. (It appears that almost anything in the catalogue could be chosen as a gift, although I have never seen a car or a refrigerator. (I have gotten a stove, a barbeque grill, and a floor lamp though.)
You can also sometimes get skill points, or friends of your date calling to invite you out. These friends begin in a special category of Contacts. They have a blue mask over thir icon similar to the red "furious" mask, and if you do not build a normal relationship with them before the mask is gone, they vanish from your relationship panel. But they start with a healthy relationship boost, so it is very easy to make friends (and even Best Friends) with them rather than trying to build a relationship with a new sim from scratch.

It is often easy to get a good date in your own home if you read your date's mind and stick to quick actions they both want. This prevents unwanted encounters with other sims (unless they live there too.)

Don't be afraid to try new places based on your date's personality and aspiration either. I have a couple of Knowledge sims who have had 15 Dream Dates at midnight in Gothier Green cemetary, thanks to both of them constantly deciding they wanted to see ghosts in the middle of their date. (In fact, those two have had nothing OTHER than Dream Dates there!) And one hyper-serious couple managed a Dream Date in the grocery store! (I clicked it by accident, but I wasn't about to change lots AGAIN!)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#3 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 8:08 PM
These friends begin in a special category of Contacts. They have a blue mask over thir icon similar to the red "furious" mask, and if you do not build a normal relationship with them before the mask is gone, they vanish from your relationship panel. But they start with a healthy relationship boost, so it is very easy to make friends (and even Best Friends) with them rather than trying to build a relationship with a new sim from scratch.

I never knew that!

Ok, more stuff.

Don't forget the Gypsy Matchmaker. You can contact her under the services tab on the telephone. From her you can purchase a blind date or Love Potion #8. The more your pay the matchmaker, the more likely you will receive a date with high chemistry. ANY non married sim can become a blind date, including NPCs, townies, downtownies, and sims of your own creation living in a house, regardless if they have crushes on other sims, so watch out!

Love Potion #8 is applied in the same manner as cologne, and while it is still "active" it boosts your sims chemistry.

For a bad date (the level just above a disaster date) you will get a hate letter, which is sprayed with something that doesn't smell so nice.

If the date's needs become too low, they will end the date, declaring "don't you care about my needs?" If you go out to dinner, allow your date time after you eat to autonomously use the restroom. If you're dating a vampire, don't start the date at 5:00 in the morning, you'll only have two sim-hours before they'll have to flee! Be smart!
Theorist
#4 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 8:16 PM
I've also found giving your sims gifts during a date can help, but you should not do it to someone who isn't 'close to you' in friendship/love or it can backfire. Good dates with married sims can include giving each other gifts. It's fun!

The best gift one of my sims got for a date was the dj booth. Normally they get the flower vase but I am impatient..very few of my sims date long term. They either get married or move on. I am curious if your sim dated someone for a long time but never married that person if the gifts get better and better.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Site Helper
#5 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 8:16 AM
The extra gift isn't always guaranteed, but the value seems to be related to the relative wealth of your date. So unless your date has had some way to become richer in between dates, the quality of the extra gift seems to stay about the same. (Of course, this is in my game, so other results may differ.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 8:23 AM
I would suggest a lot of interacting together to get a dream date. A lot of the time my sims do go anywhere, they just interact and their score goes up quickly. However you do have to be aware of their motives - use your sims motives as a rough guidline of your dates motives
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 8:41 AM
Taking two romance sims out on a date is usually a big hit for me! And with Seasons, the spring romance boost really helps! On a lot of dates, once they like each other enough, both the sims will start to constatly roll the two wants "Make out with X" and "Woohoo with X". Both of these wants can be rolled and rolled again usually with a car or a photo booth nearby!

Don't bother with dinner dates, unless you have a lot of time, such as 5 hours on the timer to spare. They don't get the bar up much, and it usually ends up dropping throughout the middle. Home-dates are just as good as downtown too!

Yeah... alright, you can PM me to request a house I suppose... Might take a while though as forewarning...
#8 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 2:30 PM
Default Love Potion 8.5
It doesnt hurt to take love potion 8.5 if you have the money to purchase it from the matchmaker. It seems to boost the thunderbolt compatibility score and makes more intimate interactions available.

i would not suggest the matchmaker otherwise. She's expensive, in that she won't give you a decent match unless you give her at least four thousand dollars. Also, she tends to match you up with sims who are already invovled with other sims. She seems not to care for instance, if someone is in love with someone else already. This is particularly irritating for teens who may end up dating someone who is already going steady with someone else. . .

The make out and woohoo wants provide a nice aspiration boost during dates. its fun for married or involved couples to go on a date when they need an aspiration boost. their established level of intimacy almost garantees that you will be able to satisfy all wants.
#9 Old 10th May 2007 at 9:57 AM
If you have expansions.
Uni: The COFFEE BAR!! Ultimate Nightlife experience.
OFB: The extra edge with owned community lots is the snapdragon and a fast chance for free meals!
Pets: Not sure about anything there...
Seasons: Spring Dates are the greatest!
Test Subject
#10 Old 17th May 2007 at 1:43 PM
Does anyone have any tips on teen dating? All I've ever gotten were skill points, the contact friends, love letters, and flowers. Do teens get gifts too or am I missing something?
#11 Old 17th May 2007 at 4:48 PM
what does it mean when you flirt, and then end up with a thunderbolt and a red slash on it?
Test Subject
#12 Old 18th May 2007 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Webster54
what does it mean when you flirt, and then end up with a thunderbolt and a red slash on it?

I think it means there was attraction but then something happened and it's gone now
Site Helper
#13 Old 18th May 2007 at 8:51 AM
It means negative chemistry. Your two sims have conflicting personality and aspirations, and either there is a turn off involved or just a lack of turn-ons with some major incompatibility involved. (Ie Family plus Romance.)

I have had teen sims get gifts, but gifts are somewhat rarer. It helps to have a rich date, though.

Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd May 2007 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Webster54
It doesnt hurt to take love potion 8.5 if you have the money to purchase it from the matchmaker. It seems to boost the thunderbolt compatibility score and makes more intimate interactions available.

i would not suggest the matchmaker otherwise. She's expensive, in that she won't give you a decent match unless you give her at least four thousand dollars. Also, she tends to match you up with sims who are already invovled with other sims. She seems not to care for instance, if someone is in love with someone else already. This is particularly irritating for teens who may end up dating someone who is already going steady with someone else. . .

The make out and woohoo wants provide a nice aspiration boost during dates. its fun for married or involved couples to go on a date when they need an aspiration boost. their established level of intimacy almost garantees that you will be able to satisfy all wants.

$4000 isn't a big deal for me. I've got like over $2,000,000 (in the game, lol I wish I had that much in real life). And I can't find out where to spend it all! I can't figure out how to build a house over $260,000.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 27th May 2007 at 11:40 PM
Here are my dating experiences and hopefully useful hints:

Make sure you build up the relationship with the person you want to ask on a date by calling them over the phone at least a couple of times, the higher the better chance of a successful date.

To fulfill a sims want to invite someone to a date, the best way is to _not_ use the phone option to invite to a date. It's much better to either invite them home as usual, and then Ask - invite to a date.. OR if you have jealous spouses or dormbuddies around, and need to go to a community lot; call 'Transport' and then invite sim to community lot. When you get there you can form a group so that the other sim doesn't for example run off eating dinner on it's own, and then prehaps do some more social interaction to further heighten your daily relationship and _then_ ask them to have a date with you. This will increase your chance of getting a Dream Date.

Make sure you have a suitable community lot in your neighbourhood, preferrably one with a kareoke machine, easy accessable toilets and a shower, perhaps a restaurant and most important; a dressing room for wohoo in public. A good hotel-like community lot is very good for dating, if you don't have one; build one! :D

The trick to dating is fulfilling the daters wants, so make sure you open up the other sims wants by clicking on the aspiration symbol beneath the date meter. As stated above, the best needs to fulfill are those that both want, and also those that takes the least time, see what actions I would recommend below. Pause every time your sims fulfill a need if you want to save time, that way you don't have to wait for the wants to reroll. If the daters get stuck with silly needs you can't fulfill, you can still get the date meter up by flirting, hugging, kissing and woohooing as much as you can (even if they don't have wants for it, it will still get the date meter up)

Don't try ty eat out on your first date, it's better to invite to a group and eat out before you ask them on a date, since eating takes a lot of time and there is not much time to be wasted. The best actions are those that get you the most 'pluses' out of the shortest interactions; like Admire, Tickle, Hug, Kiss on the cheek, and if your relationship score is low then tell a joke is a good bet. If they want to talk, let them talk, but cancel the interaction as soon as they get their want fulfilled.

The greatest dates are held between married couples at home, for sure

The matchmaker seems to want to be paid according to how much you own, so if you make sure that you are poor before you see her (buy a car or something) she will probably give you a better date for less money, and then you can sell the car.

I never have anything but dreamdates

That's it from me Hugs /L
Test Subject
#16 Old 31st May 2007 at 3:37 PM
*Go out on the date with a best friend. I say that because the romance and crush that evolves while on the date are GREAT boosters on the date meter and you have an easier time of having a dream date.

*Woohoo, as mentioned, is a great date meter booster too.

*Asking the money, skill, and fears/wants are usually good (read: ++) motive boosters. That gives a chance to find out what they are working with and if they are worth marrying.

*The more money sim signs, the higher the amount they can commit to the household should the date be a success.
#17 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 2:29 PM
A litle tread necromancy here.
Yes ask for wants and fears give a great boost, but I find that its better for building a friendship. You check the sim out, migh tell a joke and admire, and queue up a 8 or more want/fear questions and you have a friend.
I prefer dating with sims who are almost or just best friends.
For dating I use the flirt, kiss and hug options and filling up the play, dance or backrub wants. Usualy end the date with one or more woohoo.

I found this tread because of mulitple woohoo questions: first how can you woohoo in car? I did it before but that is a long time since.
Second, I have a photho boot at home, it fill the public woohoo wish but dont count in the public woohoo with many difernt sims.
Is this corect or is it a bug? the photo boot is not hacked but is not a real home item, might want to check if a changing boot at home does count.
last woohoo in elevators at least at home only satify the active sims wish not the other part so if I controll bouth I have to do it twice.
Is this a bug or a feature?
#18 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 9:52 AM
Car Woohoo: First make your controllable sims go into the car (sit in car command)
Photo Booth: Not sure about this. I think it is a bug though.
Elevator: Yup, I expierence this one. Patience is key when the Maxis team loves leaving crap.
Site Helper
#19 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 1:54 PM
Photo booth does count as public woohoo at home. To fill the "3 different sims" want, you need to have them all over the same day, though. Get in, then ask the partner to join. When both are in, click on it and you should see the woohoo option. Make sure partners 2 and 3 are otherwise occupied where they can't see what is going on. (Poker tables are handy for that sort of thing.)

(The same works for cars.)

And since this was mentioned as a new discovery in the "What did you discover" thread, I will mention it here again for anyone else who has yet to discover it: When the date timer comes up, there is a small icon on the bottom of it that shows your partner's aspiration. If you click on it you can see their whole list of wants and fears. You can even lock one of thier wants. Mind reading makes it very easy to have a dream date.

Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sidneydoj
Photo booth does count as public woohoo at home. To fill the "3 different sims" want, you need to have them all over the same day, though. Get in, then ask the partner to join. When both are in, click on it and you should see the woohoo option. Make sure partners 2 and 3 are otherwise occupied where they can't see what is going on. (Poker tables are handy for that sort of thing.)

(The same works for cars.)

This is wrong by the way. They do not need to be on the same day, and ALL sims on the lot if awake know when someone is Woohooing. It doesn't matter if they are indoors or doing something else, they will know.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Field Researcher
#21 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 11:22 PM
One thing I've found that having a great date (or outing, I suppose) with someone your Sim brings home from work often results in a "So-and-so pulled some strings at work and YourSim got promoted!" type event. It used to work quite reliably for me - a great way to get through some of the lower career levels without having to work on friends or skills (so that I could earn enough money to be able to afford to work on friends and skills )
#22 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 10:28 AM
Well, that happens if both of you are on the same career track, and the other sim is in higher position. It also happens if you got best friends in the same career track.