Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 5:40 AM
Default 'Orphaned' files
I must ask here because I see no section that says 'ask about words you're not sure about and the files they may pertain to here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

So orphaned files found by Delphy's program. good or bad? that is to say are orphaned files a good thing or a bad thing? if bad would getting rid of them 'hurt' the game? what does it mean when a file is an orphan? I know what the word means when being used to describe a person but something tells me people are not files nor are files people. can anyone explain?

if I have missed the area that contains the sites dictionary please link me and accept my humble apologies.
Advertisement
Stupid people are stupid
#2 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 11:51 AM
Why exactly was this posted in Off-topic? How is this off-topic from sims related stuff?
This should just be posted in sims2 discussion. Moving thread.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 12:16 PM
Additionally to what Wojteko said, and using Delpjy's Organizer, don't delete these files unless you are 100% they are useless. Instead, turn them off --they will show as xxxxx.off instead of xxxx.package files inside your Downloads folder. Then check in-game to make sure everything works fine in the way custom content appears. If everything works excellent, you can delete these files afterwards.
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 10:45 PM
Default Sims 2 Delphy Organiser orphans
and how do you turn them off????
Site Helper
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 2:05 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 3rd Apr 2012 at 2:32 AM.
If you know the package name, just rename them.

The Organizer may have an option to turn packages off.
Scholar
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 7:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
Additionally to what Wojteko said, and using Delpjy's Organizer, don't delete these files unless you are 100% they are useless. Instead, turn them off --they will show as xxxxx.off instead of xxxx.package files inside your Downloads folder. Then check in-game to make sure everything works fine in the way custom content appears. If everything works excellent, you can delete these files afterwards.

And what did Wojtek say anyway? The post is deleted by Wojtek.

Orphaned files are recolors missing their mesh. But there is a glitch in their detection and this glitch, according to Delphy, comes to the fore with bodyshop items which aren't as easily detectable as recolors as other objects are. Mostly the files that DO will say are orphans but are not are clothes recolors.

The best way to deal with this IMO is to move any such items (bodyshop/clothes recolors) in a new folder and then check them out in another program, like Clean Installer or SimPE (which I personally use for these cases) to see if you've seen these recolors in your game or not. If you remember seeing them, then they're not orphaned and you can put them back in your downloads.

The best idea is to read the DO thread here on MTS and then do a thorough Google search for others' experience with this.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
If you know the package name, just rename them.

The Organizer may have an option to turn packages off.

Wouldn't you need to change the file extension? If you just change the name, it makes no difference to the game reading and using the file. Doesn't Clean Installer do this? I thought it changed the extension to .off or something like that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 11:22 AM
Instead of mucking around renaming them, you could just move them to a desktop folder. If they're real orphans, your game will be fine. If they're not, you'll have some broken clothes/hairs/default replacements, but your game won't break or anything. Anyway, in my experience, the DDO's orphan scanner is better than SimPE or Wardrobe Wranglers.
Site Helper
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Wouldn't you need to change the file extension? If you just change the name, it makes no difference to the game reading and using the file. Doesn't Clean Installer do this? I thought it changed the extension to .off or something like that.
Sorry for the miscommunication.

Since a previous poster had already mentioned changing the file extension, I thought that it was obvious which part of the file name needed to be changed. Guess not.

Yes, the Clean Installer will change the file extension to .OFF. However, I don't know whether Delphy's Organizer has this feature or not. Is it possible to "turn off" downloads in the Organizer?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Instead of mucking around renaming them, you could just move them to a desktop folder. If they're real orphans, your game will be fine. If they're not, you'll have some broken clothes/hairs/default replacements, but your game won't break or anything. Anyway, in my experience, the DDO's orphan scanner is better than SimPE or Wardrobe Wranglers.

Agreed - much simpler solution.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007

That's what I've been doing to try to trim a few outfits from my CAS that were a good idea at the time, but my tastes have changed over the last few years, and I haven't used them for years. Back when I was an inexperienced player, I had no idea you could somewhat many file names in your Downloads so you have an idea what on earth they are. As a result, I had an awful lot of 123445.678910_package ... and sometimes, the organizing tools had no idea what they were, either. Often, The best way to figure it out was to move these files out of your game and see what happens. Oh, and if you put them back in, change the name to be a little more descriptive, if necessary, so months later, you won't be looking at the file and thinking, "What on earth was 12345_67890_package again?"

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.