Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 3:56 PM Last edited by SayanAmanda : 2nd Apr 2015 at 9:51 PM. Reason: finally fixed the tree
Default (solved thanks)Can sims be made siblings in PE without having parents in common
Is there a certain place that questions pertaining to SimPE go? I'm getting an error with SimPE that says "SimPE out of memory". Does anyone know how to fix it? Once the error comes up I can't do anything else. (SOLVED)

Unanswered: Also...when editing family trees is it safe to create family ties by making sims siblings without them having the same mother or father..or will that cause an error?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 4:03 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 1st Apr 2015 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
I've been getting that error lately. It happens eventually as your hood grows large. It means SimPE ran out of RAM. It will only be able to use up to 2gb of RAM if you don't modify it, and that runs out pretty quickly.

Click here for a post on SimPE-site on how to fix it.

Basically, you need to use a program called CFF Explorer to allow SimPE to use more RAM. If you find the SimPE-article confusing, you can also use this one on SimWiki (if you have a 64-bit operating system). It explains how to do it to your Sims 3 exe, but instead of the Sims 3 exe, you pick your SimPE exe.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I've been getting that error lately. It happens eventually as your hood grows large. It means SimPE ran out of RAM. It will only be able to use up to 2gb of RAM if you don't modify it, and that runs out pretty quickly.

Click here for a post on SimPE-site on how to fix it.

Basically, you need to use a program called CFF Explorer to allow SimPE to use more RAM. If you find the SimPE-article confusing, you can also use this one on SimWiki. It explains how to do it to your Sims 3 exe, but instead of the Sims 3 exe, you pick your SimPE exe.

Aww I was afraid of that I guess I'll just stay out of SimPE. I may give the simswiki solution a try though since it doesn't seem as difficult.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 4:27 PM
It's the same thing, it's just written differently SimPE-post covers how to make this work if you have a 32-bit operating system. Simwiki-method assumes a 64-bit system.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 4:44 PM
It's the same thing, it's just written differently SimPE-post covers how to make this work if you have a 32-bit operating system. Simwiki-method assumes a 64-bit system.

I'm using a 64bit so on step 2 you said use SimPE exe but I'm not seeing it in the SimPE folder. I installed the CFF explorer though
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 4:50 PM
How do you start SimPE? You either use the exe, or a shortcut to the exe (there will be an arrow pointing inward on the icon you click).

If you use the exe, then just copy that. If you use a shortcut, right click it and select properties and it'll tell you where the real file is located

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 5:06 PM
How do you start SimPE? You either use the exe, or a shortcut to the exe (there will be an arrow pointing inward on the icon you click).

If you use the exe, then just copy that. If you use a shortcut, right click it and select properties and it'll tell you where the real file is located

Step 4: My task Explorer II window looks different than the one on the wikki...which was expected but once it opens there is no File>open option it just lists process, id,address,size,and path and under process there is nothing relating to the sims 2 there.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 5:07 PM
Take a picture and show me. Find the key called "print screen" on your keyboard, press it, then open paint and ctrl-v. Save it, and add it to a post in this thread.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 5:35 PM Last edited by SayanAmanda : 1st Apr 2015 at 6:02 PM. Reason: i installed wrong software
Take a picture and show me. Find the key called "print screen" on your keyboard, press it, then open paint and ctrl-v. Save it, and add it to a post in this thread.
As I was getting ready to do that I found it but my setup is different they're using CFF explorer VII while the site took me to install something called task explorer II (which is what the program's saying) so I think I have the wrong one. When I click on the link wiki directed me to

Looks like it worked so far! thank you so much! :D
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 7:01 PM
You can set anyone to siblings in SimPE as far as I can tell without them needing to have the same parents. I don't think it'll cause errors, it would just be weird in-game since you have a sibling who you are not truly related to.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lord St.Croix
You can set anyone to siblings in SimPE as far as I can tell without them needing to have the same parents. I don't think it'll cause errors, it would just be weird in-game since you have a sibling who you are not truly related to.

Anyone have any idea what this means

when I pull up family ties in plugin view I get "object reference not set to an instance of an object".

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SimPe.PackedFiles.Wrapper.FamilyTieGraph.LinearUpdateGraph(SDesc sdsc, ExtFamilyTies famt)
at SimPe.PackedFiles.Wrapper.FamilyTieGraph.UpdateGraph(SDesc sdsc, ExtFamilyTies famt)
at SimPe.PackedFiles.UserInterface.FamilyTiesForm.pool_SelectedSimChanged(Object sender, Image thumb, SDesc sdesc)
at SimPe.PackedFiles.Wrapper.SimPoolControl.gp_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 8:32 PM
It means something somewhere is pointing to something that doesn't exist - sounds like an error in the data.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
It means something somewhere is pointing to something that doesn't exist - sounds like an error in the data.

Oh okay thanks Maxon I was trying to add another sibling to the family tree of Kimberly Cordial. I'll leave it be. Thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 9:44 PM
Couldn't you do it with the SimBlender ? It's very easy to use, easier than SimPE.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Couldn't you do it with the SimBlender ? It's very easy to use, easier than SimPE.

The sim blender wouldn't add the sims to the Cordial family tree. The sister's and the custom made sim would have to have the same parents which couldn't be done because they are long dead.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 11:09 PM
Oh, OK, I didn't know that it didn't update the family tree. Otherwise, since it's enough to have the sims on the lot, even dead, they could be summoned on the lot while the game is on pause then set as parents of your sim (according to the wiki, the Cordial parents are "available").
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SayanAmanda
Also...when editing family trees is it safe to create family ties by making sims siblings without them having the same mother or father..or will that cause an error?
I've done it and 10 months later the neighbourhood is still ok. I don't see why it should be unsafe. I've done it with CAS Sims who have no in-game parents, and it makes perfect sense. It only ceases to make sense if the two Sims each have two parents in game and they don't have one in common.

I can't help with the error you got with Family Ties. It works ok for me. But, if you can manage to get SimPE to work for you, this is how I did it:

To complete the operation in SimPE you have to make 3 changes in 2 different places. First I changed the Sim Relations (SREL). The easiest way to do this is to find one of the two Sims in the Sim Browser. Go to the Relations tab and find the other one in the left hand pane. Thus:

Then (1) set the Relation Type to Sibling on both sides of the relationship, and (2) check the Family box on both sides. Then of course Commit and Save.

For them to show as Siblings on the Family Tree you have to edit the Family Ties (FAMT) too. To open Family Ties, select Family Ties (FAMT) (1) in the Resource Tree (top left hand pane), and Family Ties in the Resource List (top right hand pane).

In the plug-in view of Family Ties (if you can get it to load), (3) select one of the new siblings in the left hand pane. Then right click on the other one and select the first option on the drop down menu which should be Add (his/her name) (Add "Justin" in my example). For some reason in my copy of SimPE this is truncated to Add "Ju. Make sure the Relation Type is set to Sibling. Commit and Save.

It's 10 months since I did this so I hope my memory is serving me right. Quite likely you know all this already. In which case sorry for wasting your time.

At present the Sim Manipulator (which I use rather than the SimBlender) cannot set Sims to be siblings but Aaroneous is looking into adding this functionality. He says it is difficult (more difficult than parents, children and spouses), which is possibly why the SimBlender failed to set the Family Tree.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 12:33 AM
Your 2nd part of the explanation is what's giving me my error when I drag the siblings together. When I do this I get the error

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I've done it and 10 months later the neighbourhood is still ok. I don't see why it should be unsafe. I've done it with CAS Sims who have no in-game parents, and it makes perfect sense. It only ceases to make sense if the two Sims each have two parents in game and they don't have one in common.

I can't help with the error you got with Family Ties. It works ok for me. But, if you can manage to get SimPE to work for you, this is how I did it:

To complete the operation in SimPE you have to make 3 changes in 2 different places. First I changed the Sim Relations (SREL). The easiest way to do this is to find one of the two Sims in the Sim Browser. Go to the Relations tab and find the other one in the left hand pane. Thus:

Then (1) set the Relation Type to Sibling on both sides of the relationship, and (2) check the Family box on both sides. Then of course Commit and Save.

For them to show as Siblings on the Family Tree you have to edit the Family Ties (FAMT) too. To open Family Ties, select Family Ties (FAMT) (1) in the Resource Tree (top left hand pane), and Family Ties in the Resource List (top right hand pane).

In the plug-in view of Family Ties (if you can get it to load), (3) select one of the new siblings in the left hand pane. Then right click on the other one and select the first option on the drop down menu which should be Add (his/her name) (Add "Justin" in my example). For some reason in my copy of SimPE this is truncated to Add "Ju. Make sure the Relation Type is set to Sibling. Commit and Save.

It's 10 months since I did this so I hope my memory is serving me right. Quite likely you know all this already. In which case sorry for wasting your time.

At present the Sim Manipulator (which I use rather than the SimBlender) cannot set Sims to be siblings but Aaroneous is looking into adding this functionality. He says it is difficult (more difficult than parents, children and spouses), which is possibly why the SimBlender failed to set the Family Tree.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 9:56 AM

The 32-bit system tutorial worked perfectly fine for me on a 64-bit system as well.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 10:02 AM
I presume you skipped the steps related to 32-bit system? It's not exclusive to 32-bit, it just looks complicated because of the first part that tells you how to make a 32-bit system allow more than 2gb, but the end bits are the same between the two different sites.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 10:32 AM
Oh yes, I did. I didn't check the SimsWiki tutorial on it before posting, but I see that it's the same deal now.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 12:16 PM
Your 2nd part of the explanation is what's giving me my error when I drag the siblings together. When I do this I get the error
Sorry, my knowledge of SimPE isn't up to explaining that error. I doubt if you'll get a more detailed answer than the one that Maxon gave in post #12.

I often use SimPE to look at things, but only very occasionally to edit something. That's usually because I can't do it any other way. It just happens that making Sims into siblings is one of those things I have done in SimPE. But I've no idea what I would do if it didn't work. Is there anything that would make it logically impossible for them to be siblings? Like each of them having a different mother and father? I think that's what Lord St.Croix was getting at in post #10.

Sorry I can't help more.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Sorry, my knowledge of SimPE isn't up to explaining that error. I doubt if you'll get a more detailed answer than the one that Maxon gave in post #12.

I often use SimPE to look at things, but only very occasionally to edit something. That's usually because I can't do it any other way. It just happens that making Sims into siblings is one of those things I have done in SimPE. But I've no idea what I would do if it didn't work. Is there anything that would make it logically impossible for them to be siblings? Like each of them having a different mother and father? I think that's what Lord St.Croix was getting at in post #10.

Sorry I can't help more.
Thanks Anyway AndrewGloria. The two sims I was using to be Samantha Cordial's siblings are townies so they had no parents. I thought that maybe I got the error because I didn't make the townies related to Kimberly (Samantha's sister) as well, but I don't think that's the problem.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 9:27 PM
Making them related shouldn't be a problem. You're only connecting bits of data together. There are no internal rules which prevent it. I do it all the time.

I'd not sure why you're dragging anything. Dragging is not involved in this process. Andrew's instructions sound about right to me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Making them related shouldn't be a problem. You're only connecting bits of data together. There are no internal rules which prevent it. I do it all the time.

I'd not sure why you're dragging anything. Dragging is not involved in this process. Andrew's instructions sound about right to me.
After the first sibling is added to the tree and I add the 2nd brother his picture ends up covering the picture of the 1st sibling added so I drag it to the side. I was able to finally edit the Cordial tree to my satisfaction. After I kept getting the error I moved the Cordial's to another household and then was able to finish the tree without the error. Now I'll just move them back into their home. Thanks so much everyone! :lovestruc :lovestruc