Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 2:52 AM
Default How can I make lots and lots of townies spawn on my downtown lot?
I built a high-rise, mutipurpose building in Pleasentview Downtown. The top two stories are an elaborate restaurant, there's a club and a gym. It always looks dead and boring though: never more than a dozen or so visitors to the lot at a time. I tried intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 70, but it didn't seem to have an effect. Ideally, I'd like 50+ on the property at a given time so the club is really jumping. Any suggestions? Thanx
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 6:02 AM
Forgive me if you've already considered this, but 50 sims on a lot at one time will slow your game way the heck down. Can your computer handle it?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 6:30 AM
I'd be worried about crashing with that many sims. I have done it for filming and had the lot crash when I got to 52 sims so I keep the top number now to 45. But it still lagged terribly, which isn't exactly 'jumping' as I'm imagining you want. Maybe try for 30? Unless you have a super computer of course.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 10:02 AM
I think I read that the number of sims is calculated by the computer - a number that it can easily handle
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 11:05 AM
I can't see much sense in how many Sims turn up at community lots.

When I first started to play I built a huge outdoor swimming pool. The first time I sent a Sim to it, only one townie turned up and she wouldn't interact with my Sim (who was desperate for social interaction)! It's much busier now since I added extra facilities including a poolside restaurant. The 16 seat restaurant attracts more Sims than the huge pool. And Sims seldom use the two hot tubs autonomously. I now use the Visitor Controller to make them wear swimwear, so they get the idea of what the place is really for!

I have a very small 2x1 downtown nightclub just for gay teen boys. I use TwoJeffs' Visitor Controller to ban all adults, elders, females and heterosexuals. It has a dance floor and a small bar. It's always packed. In any visit I can expect about two thirds of the eligible boys to turn up and mostly they head for the dance floor.

I recently built a combined restaurant and nightclub in my main 'hood (Veronaville) so that Sims could dine and dance without going downtown (and could have really important dates unhindered by Mrs Crumplebottom). It's open to all Sims, but it's usually quiet. Those who do go use the restaurant. The dance floor is invariably empty.

It all seems a bit counter-intuitive. Do very restrictive entry criteria actually make Sims want to go? See what the other Sims are missing?

And, just out of interest Jo, how did you make 52 Sims come to your lot for filming? Pay them to act as extras?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 12:40 PM
AndrewGloria, this was for my Legacy heirship challenge chapter-which probably won't make any sense except to someone who has read it. There were my legacy family, prisoners and the audience/jurors who were spares of the legacy and simselves. Back a few years ago uploading simselves was rather popular so I have about 30 in my main game. Some were invloved in the challenges but the rest just had to sit there, but even that isn't as easy as it sounds. I moved in some sims, invited a lot over and teleported in the rest. I have always filmed my story on a residential lot as it is by far easier. On a community lot is pretty much like pulling teeth. It's easy to change zoning, slap down a mail box and a bin around the back, move in a sim and you have your set ready to go. Sim bin sims made over are good for this. One of these days I plan to get back to it, but I went off filming and onto building a good year or more ago now. Poor legacy, I'd play them, but I can't play a day without filming first. And lol, no one got paid, but some did get freeze gunned, zapped and chased around a maze with my Mob family after them-how much payment does a simself need?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 12:48 PM
Small lots fill up more quickly than big ones - at any rate, they feel full faster and that's a big plus. Also, the size of the lot contributes to lag, so a small lot with as many sims as it'll fit will work faster than a big one with only a few. Since the OP made a high-rise, the top two floors may just be too far from the portal to attract anybody.

If you want to control and experiment with large numbers of sims on a community lot, may I suggest installing a teleporter?
http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/s...Teleporters.htm
Place it on the lot someplace with some open area around it, take your sim there, and summon whoever you want.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avis
Forgive me if you've already considered this, but 50 sims on a lot at one time will slow your game way the heck down. Can your computer handle it?

Not to mention that it can even crash your game. 50 sims is alot. I have the visiting sims cheat set to 30 and that's a good number, if you want a max. Though, I'm not sure if it works with community lots too, since it seems to only work for residential lots.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
Not to mention that it can even crash your game. 50 sims is alot. I have the visiting sims cheat set to 30 and that's a good number, if you want a max. Though, I'm not sure if it works with community lots too, since it seems to only work for residential lots.

I placed that cheat in my userstartup.cheat, set it to 12, and now my main neighborhood community lots have a ton of Sims. I might be wrong but I think you have to enter that cheat before you load any community lots.