Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 3:00 AM
Moving everyone from Sims University to main world?
Hi there! I don't think there's a similar thread to this one, but if there is I'll happily remove mine

I'm planning on sending my sim to University, and I'm going to use NRaas to edit the appearance of every single sim there when I arrive to make their looks more desirable. Anyway, after my sim graduates, I want to move all the university sims to the main world and have them live there, because I might as well not waste these sims I've spent a lot of time on. Accomodation is still being sorted for when they move. I also would like to find out if it's possible to have all sims in the world graduate at the same time? That way, when they all move to my main world, they all have full degrees.

So, I'm wondering:
a) How can I move all (uncontrollable) sims from Sims University to my main world? Am I able to do this with or without any mods? (e.g. NRaas Traveller)
b) Is it possible to have all sims in Sims University graduate with full degrees at the same time my sim does?

And some minor questions:
c) Am I able to execute question (a) without removing these sims previous relationships, wishes, etc?
d) (Just as a suggestion) What would be the best way to accomodate an influx of sims? An apartment? Town houses?

This is something I'm really looking forward to doing, so thanks in advance for the help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 4:42 AM
I'm not sure can I help in all cases, but at least you should be able to move them into your main world by adding them all into your active family. Then try to return home after graduation.

One option is to save them to the simbin, and then delete the original residents, but I'm not sure will they appear in the main world's sim bin. So this is one of those, backup before you try advice. If you can do the simbin version, then you will need to manually re-edit your sim's relationship to them, as your sim will not know these sims any more. Relationships between the sims in the same household will remain.

I hope you figure it out
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I'm not sure can I help in all cases, but at least you should be able to move them into your main world by adding them all into your active family. Then try to return home after graduation.

One option is to save them to the simbin, and then delete the original residents, but I'm not sure will they appear in the main world's sim bin. So this is one of those, backup before you try advice. If you can do the simbin version, then you will need to manually re-edit your sim's relationship to them, as your sim will not know these sims any more. Relationships between the sims in the same household will remain.

I hope you figure it out

Thanks @ani_ for your suggestions! I'm a bit intimidated with trial and error unfortunately, as spending most of my time on TS2 teaches me to know exactly what I'm doing at all times . However, that being said, I've decided to see if I could do the same using a mod approach, and I've found this:

Quote:
How can I pull in other sims from the world I left behind as newly arriving residents without traveling back and forth many times?
anchor: [[Traveler FAQ#Adding More Residents]]

• Use MasterController
In your new homeworld, click on the residential lot where you want them placed (your own, one where other sims currently live, or an unoccupied house), then: NRaas > MC > Add Sim > Homeworld > (filter to their current homeworld), and select the sims you want to move this way.
You may temporarily see the sim twice on your Active's relationship panel after pulling a sim in this way. The apparent duplicate should resolve the next time you start up the game.

Sims moved by being pulled in this way will lose their accumulated wealth and possessions in both their personal and family inventories. If you want to preserve these inventories, you must travel back to their homeworld and move them by the Vacation/Invoke Change Hometown method.

The sims you have pulled in this way will still exist back in their original homeworlds, as those worlds are in a state of suspended animation while not being played. The original sim should disappear the next time you visit that world actively.

This was in the FAQ question for Nraas' Traveller. I have both Master Controller and Traveller, so I'm hoping this is the answer! Does it look like a good method to use?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 8:24 AM
Blasphemy! Witchcraft! Ptooey on all of that! Who is the unkind and unhelpful person at NRaas who wrote that FAQ, it'll never work (oh wait, that was me wasn't it...)

"All Sims in Uni World" is a pretty tall order to fill but this is exactly the approach I would take. If you add sims in batches per various residential lots using MC > Add Sim > Homeworld > (filter to Uni World) back in your own homeworld, it will create households consisting of those sims for you. The next time you travel to Uni, if you ever do in say a future generation, the original sims might still appear to be there for a moment but then things will resolve and the dupes will disappear. Hopefully then the game will take over and repopulate Uni World for your or you can deploy StoryProgression to do that.

In addition to Traveler and MC, NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap would be highly recommended additions to ensure the data for all of these newly arriving sims gets managed properly. They will be the same sims whom yours knew back in Uni with relationships and friendships preserved, though be advised they will tend to arrive with minimal wardrobes; that's one of a few things that tends to get lost in the transitions from other worlds.

As for getting them all to graduate on the same day, that would be a lengthy exercise that may result in more frustration than it's worth. First of all, not all of them are bright enough or tend to concentrate on the same majors each semester. Secondly, the Stadium/Annex lot where graduation takes place is prone to not functioning well when things are over-crowded there. I would instead not worry too much about the graduation ceremony at all, pull the sims I want in anyway, and grant them the degrees I think they should have at the GPAs they should have earned using NRaas DebugEnabler once they arrive in my homeworld.

As to where to stick them all, that's going to depend on your world and your preferences. And on how many sims we are really talking about. Honestly, I wouldn't want to do all of them at once and all in one world, but maybe spread them out among various Traveler connected worlds that my sims might go and visit or later generations might move to within the same saved game someday. And usually at least half of them I just let go with Total Annihilation if my sims never met them or have any idea who they are by the time these lifetime scholars (coughs) begin to age out of the Uni experience. But then I tend to play Uni with well over 100 active students each term so maybe I'm seeing a lot more of them over time than you are.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 10:35 AM
@igazor Wow! That just about answers all my questions, thanks!

Yes, I do also have Overwatch and ErrorTrap so I think I'm ready to go. When I use the MC method to add sims in, am I able to choose specific sims to go into one household? Or can I only import them in their household from Uni?

Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by animated
When I use the MC method to add sims in, am I able to choose specific sims to go into one household? Or can I only import them in their household from Uni?

You can only choose individual sims per lot to bring in via Add Sim. It's a pretty brutal function and will drag them in regardless of their household status back in their current world. Note that household inventories and funds they may have had back in their original worlds will also be disregarded as the FAQ says, but for Uni World this usually isn't much of a concern to the player.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 2:32 AM
@igazor alright cool! Thanks! But, now I'm a bit worried with them losing their outfits. I'm going to be spending a lot of time on them so I really wouldn't want to lose that

Is there an alternative method using NRaas Traveller that allows me to move them back to the homeworld but still keeps their clothing/possessions? If there is literally no way I might as well go with the option you provided.

Also, I saw that theres a way you can do this by making them change homeworlds using Nraas Traveller while still at the destination. I don't know if this'll be practical for loads of sims, but it's just a method I saw too.

Thanks for all your help
Forum Resident
#8 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 4:15 AM
Couldn't you just get the Porter Mod and do it that way?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsdestroyer

Forgot about Porter! Haven't tested it yet with University so I don't know if it'll work . Has anyone tested it with exporting Uni students?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by animated
@igazor alright cool! Thanks! But, now I'm a bit worried with them losing their outfits. I'm going to be spending a lot of time on them so I really wouldn't want to lose that

Is there an alternative method using NRaas Traveller that allows me to move them back to the homeworld but still keeps their clothing/possessions? If there is literally no way I might as well go with the option you provided.

Also, I saw that theres a way you can do this by making them change homeworlds using Nraas Traveller while still at the destination. I don't know if this'll be practical for loads of sims, but it's just a method I saw too.

Thanks for all your help

Change Hometown only works on the currently active household, it can't be directed at inactives. It would require you to play each household in question as actives and move them one household at a time from Uni World to their homeworld, then transition play back to Uni again each time. It is not meant for a mass exodus like this and can only be invoked when the actives are visiting the homeworld you intend to make their permanent home. It would not be a recipe for sanity in this case.

For as long as I have been using Traveler and MC to pull sims in from other worlds, I am still always so happy to see them arrive safely that I couldn't care less if they are naked and wearing trash bags or wrapped in newspapers when they arrive (don't panic, this doesn't really happen) and can take care of their wardrobes later. But that just means that we have very different play styles.

Quote: Originally posted by Simsdestroyer

If the preservation of meticulously crafted outfits is of the utmost importance, then yes the Porter mod method might be the better way to proceed.

This will, however, render your instance of Uni World unplayable going forward as the original sims packed up for moving en masse by Porter would still exist in Uni, so you would have to delete the entire instance of that world, its nhd file, from your ongoing game save after having finished. The game will spawn a new instance of Uni World the next time you enroll someone there, if you ever choose to do so, but it will be populated with what will appear to be fresh copies of the same sims that came with Uni World the first time. If these are the ones you had already been working with. that could be unsettling though such could be worked around by using MC to Totally Annihilate the entire new population and SP or some other method to repopulate Uni with fresh sims.

I guess it depends on what your intentions are for Uni going forward after the exodus, such as will there be future generations to this game.

ETA: Note that I have never tested this idea. Porter is intended to transport packs of sims from one game to another, not from one world to another within the same game save.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Change Hometown only works on the currently active household, it can't be directed at inactives. It would require you to play each household in question as actives and move them one household at a time from Uni World to their homeworld, then transition play back to Uni again each time. It is not meant for a mass exodus like this and can only be invoked when the actives are visiting the homeworld you intend to make their permanent home. It would not be a recipe for sanity in this case.

For as long as I have been using Traveler and MC to pull sims in from other worlds, I am still always so happy to see them arrive safely that I couldn't care less if they are naked and wearing trash bags or wrapped in newspapers when they arrive (don't panic, this doesn't really happen) and can take care of their wardrobes later. But that just means that we have very different play styles.

If the preservation of meticulously crafted outfits is of the utmost importance, then yes the Porter mod method might be the better way to proceed.

This will, however, render your instance of Uni World unplayable going forward as the original sims packed up for moving en masse by Porter would still exist in Uni, so you would have to delete the entire instance of that world, its nhd file, from your ongoing game save after having finished. The game will spawn a new instance of Uni World the next time you enroll someone there, if you ever choose to do so, but it will be populated with what will appear to be fresh copies of the same sims that came with Uni World the first time. If these are the ones you had already been working with. that could be unsettling though such could be worked around by using MC to Totally Annihilate the entire new population and SP or some other method to repopulate Uni with fresh sims.

I guess it depends on what your intentions are for Uni going forward after the exodus, such as will there be future generations to this game.

ETA:[I] Note that I have never tested this idea. Porter is intended to transport packs of sims from one game to another, not from one world to another within the same game save.

Alrighty-then, I think I have all the information I need now! I'll stick to the Traveller method as it seems easiest, and then just fix their outfits later. Thanks so much for your help, and for documenting such a useful mod!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 6:17 AM
Cool, let us know how it all works out. If you discover a method to preserving their extended outfit collections along the way, do share it with us and we can add that to the documentation.