Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2021 at 9:54 AM
Default Probably dumb question - how do I download from "Tumgir"??
I've recently come across a bunch of creators uploading to "tumgir" which I've never heard of before. But when I follow the link to their CC there is now download link in their posts despite "download here" in the text.

This is probably a super dumb question but how am I supposed to download from this platform?? Link included as an example:

https://www.tumgir.com/tag/Sims%202%20download
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Sep 2021 at 11:01 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Sep 2021 at 12:30 PM.
Would be careful with sites that look like Tumblr links but aren't. I accidentally clicked one when Google-searching (I read it as Tumblr at first, but upon closer inspection it said Tumgir or something similar), and my antivirus program immediately blocked the page because it hit a bad file (I'm not going to click that link, by the way).

I think some of those places are really tumblr pages relinked as clickbait of some sort, and it seems rather sketchy. I've seen several variants while Google-searching lately.

You'll want to find the actual Tumblr pages, since I don't think the TS2 creators you're really looking for upload to that other site. If you have a creator name or a picture it's easier to help you out.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 9th Sep 2021 at 11:40 AM
You can't, and it's not the creators uploading there, it's a scam bot that just steals the appearance of tumblr posts, but without any content, so no downloads. Tumblr posts are only on tumblr.

There are two other ripoff sites with similar names. Avoid all of them!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 12:56 AM
Thanks both of you for your informative replies! So to find the creator's things I need to go to Tumbler and search their username? Sorry for all the ignorance!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 1:05 AM
That's probably best. Make sure you use https://www.tumblr.com/ and not any other variations of the Tumblr name.

If you've visited that other site one or more times, it can be a good idea to do an antivirus scan on your computer just in case.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 1:09 AM
I think we all had the same reaction the first time we stumbled on one of those fake blogs

In your exemple, anyway, the link would be https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/sims+2+download
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Airelda
Thanks both of you for your informative replies! So to find the creator's things I need to go to Tumbler and search their username? Sorry for all the ignorance!

If you know the username it's very easy to find their tumblr - it's literally just <username>.tumblr.com, that's where their blog will be. Depending on how they've set up their page and tags, though, it might be moderately difficult to find the specific content.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 8:41 PM
What others have already said, also if you click on the about tab in that tumgir site it tells you this:
Quote:
General information
We are free service which allows you to explore Tumblr public content with modern design and additional features.
Tumgir uses the Tumblr API but is not endorsed or certified by Tumblr. All Tumblrâ„¢ logos and trademarks displayed on this application are property of Tumblr.
We do not host Tumblr photos and videos on our server.
Domain is free and always will be.

So they're just hotlinking posts from tumblr directly and somehow tumblr is fine with it. I also guess their "additional features" are just shady ads and malware? I don't see any since I never go anywhere without uBlock and couple other browser add-ons for protection and I don't want to try it out now either. There's two other clone sites too: tumbex & tumblar.

I googled bit and apparently they automatically copy anything you post to your blog there immediately, only way to prevent it from happening is to set your blog in that annoying dashboard mode where only logged in users can view it (not ideal way to handle things since then nobody outside of tumblr can see your posts + the sidebar view just plain sucks). The whole deal with those sites seems to be that they lure people into clicking to view what they think is tumblr and then try to infect them with malware and viruses. I'm surprised they haven't been taken down or blocked by google yet.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Sep 2021 at 1:32 AM
Thank you everyone for all the extra information, especially foxmaniac for further researching these strange sites. I learned a lot from you all!