Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 7:13 PM Last edited by CASnarl : 3rd Feb 2021 at 8:12 PM.
Default What happens to apts/dorms if there's no townies/dormies?
Hiya!!

I thought about putting this under Help but then decided it wasn't really, so stuck it here instead. I'm also sure a thread answering this exists already but oh well.

I am still working on setting up my megahood reboot I posted about wanting to do the other day. However, this time I decided I wanted to leave out dormies. I want to encourage my playables to partner with other playables and I feel like having too many townies and dormies gets in the way of that and then they're just like....always there, and I would age them up periodically except then I'd have to kill them and have their graves and I don't want townie/dormie graves 'contaminating' my beautifully decorated playable cemetery...I'm getting off the point

Basically, I decided to keep the Pleasantview townies only because I care about sweet ol Goopy and Kennedy Cox and Marisa and so on. And there's no other townies in meetme's templates but the Pleasantview and a spattering of Bluewater and like Crystal Vu anyways.

I have all the various notownieregen, nodormieregen, etc in place as well as the townie apt residents mod. But there's not that many Pleasantview & Bluewater townies.
So I'm wondering what happens with apartments or dorms once the townie pool 'runs out'. I know with Cyjon's mod that after the townies are out that it pulls from dormies. But if I don't have dormies at all, do they just stay empty? Same with dorms, would they just be empty?

I'm fine with them staying empty, but is it okay if they do? Like the game won't get mad and break if there's empty dorm rooms and no dormies or anything right?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 9:38 PM
Nah, you're alright.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 10:25 PM
If there is no dormies for sure all dorm rooms stay empty. I appreciate it, so my playables can come later and take empty rooms. Different thing is with apartments, if there is no townies for apartment neighbors game will start generate them even if you have notownieregen mod. For apartments staying empty you need Nysha's mod https://modthesims.info/d/511564/no...neighbours.html
Field Researcher
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 10:53 PM
If we have the no-regen mods installed, we can always force spawn more townies by clicking on the mailbox in debug mode, right? Just want to confirm cause I assumed the game would spawn new dormies.

Call me Seth!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 11:57 PM
They will simply stay empty. I will say though after trying an empty uni and BV I did not like it. It felt dead. So you may find you need to make some dormies/locals/etc. The trouble with the game as is, it tips in far too many, but having none is like a ghost town.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 4:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
For apartments staying empty you need Nysha's mod https://modthesims.info/d/511564/no...neighbours.html

Went to go download it and thought it sounded familiar. Turned out I already had it in my "Mods Not In Use" folder in my Documents.
Wonder when I downloaded it, or for what purpose.

Is there anything else I'd need or would Nysha's mod, notownieregen, and nodormieregen all do the trick?

Also one last potentially silly question, does Nysha's mod conflict with Cyjon's townie apartment residents? Not sure if I should take that out before putting Nysha's in or if it doesn't matter to have them both in.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 3:46 PM
Probably you will need replace it when all townies are already occupied. But you can check with HCDU.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 4:15 PM
I use that no NPC neighbors and the other Mod is likely to clash so I'd take it out to replace it with the NPC disabler and use the other two Mods to stop my towns from getting cluttered though they can come out if I need townies for any reason.
I wouldn't worry about the dorms or apartmetn units staying empty for too long since I still get dormies or neighbors by creating playable dormies and townies to occupy empty units even if these replacements are playable households or sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
Went to go download it and thought it sounded familiar. Turned out I already had it in my "Mods Not In Use" folder in my Documents.
Wonder when I downloaded it, or for what purpose.

Is there anything else I'd need or would Nysha's mod, notownieregen, and nodormieregen all do the trick?

Also one last potentially silly question, does Nysha's mod conflict with Cyjon's townie apartment residents? Not sure if I should take that out before putting Nysha's in or if it doesn't matter to have them both in.

yes, her mod (that I use) means you will get no neighbours at all. Zero.
His means you will get some I believe, but I also found out a couple of days back that his mod is broken. I was reading an old thread and Chris Hatch did one of his explanations (that I didn't understand) but yes definitely broken, so I wouldn't use it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
but I also found out a couple of days back that his mod is broken. I was reading an old thread and Chris Hatch did one of his explanations (that I didn't understand) but yes definitely broken, so I wouldn't use it.

Huh, can you find/link me to that thread? I've been using cyjon's mod for over a year now since I discovered it and as far as I can tell it's been working as it's supposed to
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 5:15 AM
@joandsarah77 -We both use that same no NPC neighbors Mod in our games and it only stops you from getting NPC townies though playable townies can still be generated in CAS and moved in to provide neighbors and also have other playable households living in the apartment building.I also use a no apartment noise to stop the noise from tranferring between neighboring units with shared walls.
@CASnarl -I would advise using the no townie nieghbors to disable the NPC neighbors altogether since I prefer making playable households to serive as replacement townies and these ones are fully playable.I also feel much the same with dormies most of the time and can also generate dormies in CAS on the campus if I've already added that into my town.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
Huh, can you find/link me to that thread? I've been using cyjon's mod for over a year now since I discovered it and as far as I can tell it's been working as it's supposed to

I googled and found the thread again. https://modthesims.info/showthread....562#post4993562 Chris Hatch's post is #17.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 2:24 PM Last edited by CASnarl : 5th Feb 2021 at 2:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I googled and found the thread again. https://modthesims.info/showthread....562#post4993562 Chris Hatch's post is #17.

I think he's just talking about Random Apartment Residents though? I know that one is indeed broken - when I had that in my game nobody ever showed up to move in. Not exactly the game throwing me an error, but still not having worked as it should have.

For Cyjon's mod I'm talking about Townie Apartment Residents so that the normal townies move in instead of the game needing the social group townies. So Benjamin Long and Sandy Bruty come move in instead of whoever any of the social group townies are that I despise and avoid letting into my game.
I've had no problems with Townie Apartment Residents doing what it should do.

I ran the hack conflict thing with both Townie Apartment Residents and No Townie Neighbors and it didn't pick up on any conflicts between them. But I'm curious which one will take precedent over the other - will the Pleasantview townies I have fill up apartments until they run out and then Nysha's mod stop anybody new from being spawned? Or will Nysha's mod take over first and nobody move in in the first place? In terms of load order, Cyjon is alphabetically above Nysha.

EDIT: I just opted to take Cyjon's mod out and just use Nysha's. The only use I'd have for the townies (pleasantview townies) is to serve as extra numbers for my romance sims, or as spouses for gay sims who can't find a suitable playable. Neither of these scenarios mean they NEED to be in apartments. So Nysha's mod seems like the better way for me to go.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 2:40 PM
I think he may have been referring to the Random Apartment Residents mod, I had errors with that one and use this one now:
https://modthesims.info/d/606456
Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 4:12 PM
@CASnarl -That's the one I've used for so long that I almost forgot what it was like to get randome NOC neighbors forced into all empty apartments while I actually get townies moved into empty apartments if I create them in CAS and move the household in though it means I get playable townie households as apartment neighbors instead of NPCs.
@Simsample -I use a different Mod than that one which works very well and others use it as well and love it.It make playing apartment lots much more realistic with possible empty units and with being able to still move neighbors in as playable households.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 11:52 PM
Okay gotcha.
So 'Random Apartment Residents' (bad) and 'Townie Apartment Residents' (good) are two different mods.
I'm going to have to make a note of that because the names are too similar for me to keep straight just in my old head.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 1:37 AM
I suppose me just going 'Cyjon's mod' isn't particularly clear either, when he has like a billion of them
Mad Poster
#18 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 6:51 AM
@joandsarah77 -I would say that any kind of random generation of NPC neighbors is just bad because it leads to fighting breaking out between two neighbors or one and the landlord or a brawl breaking out between several of the other NPC residents.I've seen it before trying to play apartments on my old computer when I didn't use Mods.Disabling any generation of random NPC neighbors is best because you can make sure they don't have personality conflicts that might start fights and also you can choose to have units become empty and remainso at tmes which is more realistic.
@CASnarl -I would go with that Mod linked here to disable generation of any NPC neighbors because moving in playables is much better and you're less likely to have brawling breaking out between playables in apartments.I know because I used to get that in apartments on my old computer.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 7:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
@joandsarah77 -I would say that any kind of random generation of NPC neighbors is just bad because it leads to fighting breaking out between two neighbors or one and the landlord or a brawl breaking out between several of the other NPC residents.I've seen it before trying to play apartments on my old computer when I didn't use Mods.Disabling any generation of random NPC neighbors is best because you can make sure they don't have personality conflicts that might start fights and also you can choose to have units become empty and remainso at tmes which is more realistic.

?? Did you mean to direct this to someone else?
I use Nysha 's No Townie Neighbours. The only NPC would be on apartment lots with a uni stove or where I have shopping since someone has to spawn to run the till.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#20 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 7:15 AM
I was directing this at you and others and that Mod is one I've used for ages and it's why I love having aprtments avialble and always look foreward to adding one to my town.The only time an NPCs ever show up on apartments is when the landlord show up to do their daily work or a cafetria cook show up which dosen't happen in all apartments because some lots just have hacked fridges that allow sims to get prpared meals straight from the firdge.It was downloaded from this site and I found it in a file dump folder with a collection of Mods from that creator.I would use an auto cash rigister on an apartment lot if I don't want another NPC on a lot.
@joandsarah77 -That Mod sounds like the one I use to stop the hallway fighting in apartments.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I was directing this at you and others and that Mod is one I've used for ages and it's why I love having aprtments avialble and always look foreward to adding one to my town.The only time an NPCs ever show up on apartments is when the landlord show up to do their daily work or a cafetria cook show up which dosen't happen in all apartments because some lots just have hacked fridges that allow sims to get prpared meals straight from the firdge.It was downloaded from this site and I found it in a file dump folder with a collection of Mods from that creator.I would use an auto cash rigister on an apartment lot if I don't want another NPC on a lot.
@joandsarah77 -That Mod sounds like the one I use to stop the hallway fighting in apartments.

Playables can fight too.

No Townie Neighbours https://modthesims.info/d/511564/no...neighbours.html

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 7:40 AM
They will only if you train them badly or make them with personality conflicts which is something I watch out for and I've never had that happen with apartments that had only playable households living in the units and I have hacks that let me fix those conflicts if they do cause sims to fight.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 12:02 PM
The fighting is one of the things I love about apartments, it's fun to see which townies like each other and which ones argue! Also, if you don't have lots of apartment neighbours, you don't get fun things happening like narrow corridor smustle (which always happens when your sim is trying to get to work).
Mad Poster
#24 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 2:56 PM
Never mind work. Just join in the smustle! It's much more fun than work. Especially if you're a pleasure Sim.

I like to give my Sims extra Vacation Days so they don't get into trouble when they forget to go to work.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 4:15 PM
I don't think I've ever had the fighting, but ACR most definitely does its thing.
Page 1 of 2