Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 9:42 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 27th Oct 2012 at 2:02 AM.
Default A word of warning about Windows 8!
The Sims 2 will not even install on the new Windows version. There are similar issues with other games on PC.

I am posting this here so that people who still play The Sims 2 are aware of the issue, and I personally am not upgrading unless this is the result of a glitch with the OS that they intend to fix.

Edit: Just to give some other games reported to have problems:

-Bioshock 2
-Batman: Arkham City
-GTA4
-L.A. Noire
-Saints Row 3

As for SimCity 4... It actually supposedly runs fine.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 9:51 PM
I remember someone did post about this in the Help Section, it was the customer trial version thingy. Of course, they had/have to wait for the final version to come out.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 10:08 PM
I thought it came out today... yesterday? Anyways, I thought the release is October 26th, which is today, so this is just a warning.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
I thought it came out today... yesterday?

Oh no, I'm just sayin' that they had the 'demo' version, but if you're saying that its the final edition, then God help us!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 10:33 PM
Does it have compatibility options for older versions?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 10:37 PM
I've heard that Windows 8 won't install sims 2, guess Windows 7 is as high as I'll be going then.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 11:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Oct 2012 at 10:44 AM.
I've just gotten used to 7, after arguing with both vista and 7 for 3 years straight, so there's no way I'm going to get 8 if the system is totally different, let alone if it has sims 2 issues.
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 12:23 AM
I've no desire to upgrade to 8 yet. I've only just moved on to 7 after my XP laptop died a few months ago! I skipped Vista entirely

While I've had no problems with Sims on 7, if it's not compatible with 8 at all I think I'll stay where I am for as long as physically possible.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 12:28 AM
I am not even bothering to go to windows 8 for at least a year. hopefully all the bugs will have been worked out.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#10 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kathwynn
I am not even bothering to go to windows 8 for at least a year. hopefully all the bugs will have been worked out.
This. times 10. Remember when Vista came out, and everyone jumped on board, only to find out it was the computer equivilent of the Titanic?
Banned
#11 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 1:28 AM
I've heard windows 8 so far is excrementally bad. It's completely different - way more so than any other switch from one version to another - I've heard the difference in how you use it is more different from 7 to 8 than it was from 95 to 7. I'm bad at learning computer stuff so I'd be thoroughly bewildered. And if earlier games (the vast majority of what I play is 2006 or earlier) don't work, to hell with it.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
I've heard windows 8 so far is excrementally bad. It's completely different - way more so than any other switch from one version to another - I've heard the difference in how you use it is more different from 7 to 8 than it was from 95 to 7. I'm bad at learning computer stuff so I'd be thoroughly bewildered. And if earlier games (the vast majority of what I play is 2006 or earlier) don't work, to hell with it.

Uh umm... Not much I'm afraid, I saw it with one student at school, the only difference is that the start button is now removed, and the other icons in taskbar are just moved a bit to the left to cover up the space left by the Start button. Also, to get to the original menu (The windows Surface desktop menu), all you need to do is move the mouse to the lower left corner, and a preview will appear, and you just click it. Other than that, the folder pages and the usual desktop is still there and is the same. Not much of a difference, so not worth the change.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 1:42 AM
Quote:
I've only just moved on to 7 after my XP laptop died a few months ago! I skipped Vista entirely

Good move, you didn't miss anything with Vista. I thought the makers must have lost their minds after having it running for all of two minutes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Does it have compatibility options for older versions?

Yes, and some people are reporting you can't run TS3 without using Windows 7 compatibilty mode, but sadly, it doesn't seem to do much for The Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:05 AM
I'm still using XP, and only because Windows 2000 is no longer compatible with NetFlix. I do NOT want to "upgrade" to Windows 7 even, much less Windows 8.

I predict (and greatly hope for!) a big outcry if Windows 8 is incompatible with a lot of gamers' favorite older games. Operating systems should always maintain a lot of backward compatibility for a loooooong time, imo. Unfortunately, if it's not profitable, they won't do it.
Scholar
#16 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:13 AM
That is a real shame if TS2 cant run on Windows 8! Windows 7 now can run my games I have from the late 90s, I fear I wont be able to do that in future versions. And I plan to play TS2 for years to come... lol
Instructor
#17 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:18 AM
I still have windows XP. That OS has always been number one for me. I love Windows 7 on my laptop, but I love XP.
Scholar
#18 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:19 AM
Default Thanks
Thank you for the heads up. I am running Windows 8 on my tablet, but it is a no go on everything else until this issue is fixed. I not going to abandon my little people for Win 8. I hear that the issue is in installing the game, so it might be that if you just upgrade the game will continue running. I am not going to take any chances however, will wait and see if Microsoft sorts this out. I have no hope that EA will do anything.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:20 AM
The more I hear about Windows 8, the less I like. I do tend to run into problems with backwards compatibility concerning older games when it comes to Windows. It really is a struggle to get some games to run and even then they may not after jumping through hoops downloading patches and troubleshooting and what-not. The Sims 2 doesn't even seem that old. Well, I don't upgrade my OS unless I get a new computer, and I'm not planning on doing that for awhile. When I do, hopefully they'll have things sorted out.
Banned
#20 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:31 AM
How hard would it be to make a (for example) windows XP emulator? I have windows 7 and can run old commodore 64 games (an early 1980s computer - way different from any windows version) through an emulator. Also, shouldn't the thing within windows for running using an earlier version work anyway? I have a couple that need that to work.
And without a start button how in the hell are you supposed to do a shitton of things you do using windows?
BTW to say I'm "not so good at computer stuff" is a bit like saying a 50 megaton bomb is a bit bigger an explosion than a firecracker or that sumo wrestlers aren't very thin. It took me over a year to learn how to extract files using winzip/winrar and I still can't figure out how to use non-IE browsers like firefox.
Instructor
#21 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
I've heard windows 8 so far is excrementally bad.

I think you meant exponentially, or extremely bad.
If you, however, meant what one finds in the toliet, then kudos -- because it's just that or worse.

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Field Researcher
#22 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 3:07 AM
I heard that they designed the whole lack-of-start-button and all that other crap so that it would be more like using a smartphone or a tablet. Well I don't know about those Windows nincompoops, but if I wanted to use a smartphone or tablet, I would use a smartphone or a tablet! Those are so limited; I much prefer actual computers...
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 3:15 AM
Oh good grief. If Windows 8 is actually designed make actual computers run like smartphones or tablets, then I'm avoiding it at all costs. I use Windows 7 on my computer and like it and don't plan on changing any time soon. I just hope that this computer won't die on me in a year like the previous one (yes I did have a computer die on me in one year.)
Banned
#24 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Digitalchaos
I think you meant exponentially, or extremely bad.
If you, however, meant what one finds in the toliet, then kudos -- because it's just that or worse.

I meant it as I typed it. As in, as you say, so bad as to belong flushed down the toilet. And if it's to be as a smartphone, they need to remember not everyone has a sodding smartphone. As do advertisers who seem to ASS-U-ME (ie when you assume you make an ass out of you and me, the old joke going back to the 70s at least) everyone has one and put "scan this with your pretentious ass phone, rich motherfucker and if you don't have one, lol your poor we don't care about you." Hell, my phone's just a phone. No internet, no camera, no nothing but a phone except it doesn't hang on the wall and has a different number.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 5:33 AM
Not only do I not use a smartphone, I don't have a cellphone.

I have a nice black rotary phone, however!
Page 1 of 22