Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#401 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 5:15 PM
Try the GrumpyLoader. It was posted a few pages back.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Advertisement
Test Subject
#402 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clm2389
I did some research, and the way I found around it was to copy the files "TSBin" and "TSData" from the Sims 2 Folder under Program Files from my old hard drive which was running Vista. AND IT WORKED. The installation said "The game is already up to date", and now it's all smooth sailing. If you have an old working copy of the sims on a different computer, copy these files and paste them into your new Sims 2 Folder in Program Files (x86) or whatever its called in Windows 8..

Thanks, my old computer was also running Vista, so I'll have to do that with my computer. University (other than Seasons and Pets) is my favorite expansion, hands down, and I got really pissed off when it started crashing.
Test Subject
#403 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mynameisthemaster1
Thanks, my old computer was also running Vista, so I'll have to do that with my computer. University (other than Seasons and Pets) is my favorite expansion, hands down, and I got really pissed off when it started crashing.

It didn't work.
Forum Resident
#404 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 10:50 PM
You'd think that Microsoft would have learned the importance of backwards compatibility from the fact that there are still major corporations still using Windows XP more than 10 years after XP's initial release, even going so far as to remove Windows Vista/7/8 to replace it with XP, and the fact that there are a few still using Windows 2000 Professional. Three years ago (in 2010), I'd go so far to say MOST companies were still using XP or Win 2000. Making an operating system that is as critically lacking in terms of backward compatibility as Windows 8 is must mean that M$ wants to lose to Apple and Linux.

As for the Intel HD Graphics, I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics and it seems to work fine with them in Windows 7.
Field Researcher
#405 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 10:55 PM
As the wiki article states, the card will be fine for a time. Eventually you'll start seeing graphical glitches. Soon after that, you'll start seeing blurriness and that's when you need to stop playing on the card.

Rewrite another try
Forum Resident
#406 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Port_A_Build
As the wiki article states, the card will be fine for a time. Eventually you'll start seeing graphical glitches. Soon after that, you'll start seeing blurriness and that's when you need to stop playing on the card.

I've read this. There's a nice article on the wiki titled "your computer is like your car", but the difference is that I don't know of any car manufacturers, car dealerships, or home improvement stores that sell bricks that would recommend hauling a trailer full of bricks with a compact car, whereas Intel actually says that Intel HD Graphics supports gaming (and specifically lists The Sims 2 as compatible), as does EA. The Sims 2 actually defaults the settings on my laptop to high graphics quality, interestingly. So then Intel is falsely advertising their products and as such should be fined by the Federal Trade Commission, yes? And if TS2 fries a mobo when someone plays it with Intel HD Graphics, then I believe both EA and Intel should be held liable since they both say that TS2 works with Intel HD Graphics. This machine will even play GTA IV on low graphics settings, but I have a feeling I may be pushing my luck with that.

On the other hand, I have a desktop with an Intel GMA chip and I'm going to eventually put something else in that because the GMA chip just isn't enough.
Test Subject
#407 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmesqualor
Yes - Quetzkotl and I are playing Sims 2 on Win 8.

However, the original problem was installing Sims 2 on the pre-release. The installer crashed at the point you where supposed to choose the directory. I have no idea if that is still a problem or not. Going from Win 7 to Win 8, I didn't have to reinstall any of my programs. Quetzkotl installed from the Origin's site and not a disk, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

Did you have any problems during gameplay? I haven't had any installation problems on Windows 8 but my game crashes on create a sim with the error message: The application has crashed, the application will now terminate

Any idea how to fix this? I'm in desperate need of some simming!
Test Subject
#408 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aquarius2
For anyone still having problems, I installed the sims 2 and all EPs on my new Windows 8 laptop without problem, but when I went to play it did crash from going into CAS; the way to fix it is to make sure your computer is using it's best graphics card, as someone said before, so just right-click on the .exe file for your game and select it like this:

I don't experience any problems at all after doing this and the game runs extremely fast and smooth

I don't get that option! I don't think I have an integrated graphics card
Site Helper
#409 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 7:03 PM
Eilis, are you sure that you have a discrete graphics card? The problems that you're experiencing could occur if you have an integrated graphics chip, but no real graphics card.
Lab Assistant
#410 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 10:22 PM
It's been a while since this was updated... I was wondering, has there been any progress in finding out why TS2 is incompatible or any ways to work round it?
Test Subject
#411 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 1:55 AM
Default It isn't bad
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Oh good grief. If Windows 8 is actually designed make actual computers run like smartphones or tablets, then I'm avoiding it at all costs. I use Windows 7 on my computer and like it and don't plan on changing any time soon. I just hope that this computer won't die on me in a year like the previous one (yes I did have a computer die on me in one year.)

IDK why people are complaining about windows 8 so much I have it and after calling EA and dealing with them only thing I had to do was change my compatibility and run it as an administrator. There is nothing wrong with it the only thing is that when sims 3 came out the sims 3 designers simply didn't make t compatible with the windows 8 so, that is the only reason people may not be able to run it, so if anyone who has windows 8 and sims 3 won't run on their computer there is only one answer to your problem just wait till sims 4 comes out..
Lab Assistant
#412 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:50 AM
how can i help? i have sims 1, 2, and 3 with all expansion and stuff packs every last one on windows 8 and i have no issues at all they all installed and are running fine.
Test Subject
#413 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 7:26 AM
Sorry to walk in out of nowhere, but I'm having the same problem... I just installed The Sims 2 and all of its expansion packs on my notebook, which is only a few weeks old, and I can't seem to play it. It installed alright, but once I start it and try to load a family lot, when it finishes loading the family it always displays the message "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate", or something like this.

I have tried running in compatibility mode, but it stayed the same. I tried running as an administrator, but, the same results. I don't know how to fix this, and I love Sims 2 too much to move on to 3... actually I hate Sims 3 ç_ç

Anyone here has any ideas that could help me out? I didn't stop to read the whole thread since I'm kinda in a rush, but I'd be forever grateful if someone answers.
Site Helper
#414 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 4:59 PM
It's very likely that your computer isn't up to playing the game. The fact that it's new doesn't mean that it's powerful. Post your system specs in the Help forum and someone can help you to determine whether you are destroying your computer by playing the game on it.
#415 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 4:40 AM
I actually have Sims 2 working (somewhat) fine on my Windows 8, though it has crashed twice on me and has random glitches. At least my Windows 7 runs Sims 2 better...
Test Subject
#416 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 5:04 AM
I think my notebook is able of running it, since my netbook runs The Sims 2 really well (just a liiiiittle bit slow, but it's totally playable), and this notebook runs games I can't run in the netbook itself. What made me assume TS2 is a really light program. It just keeps crashing whenever I try to load a family lot.
Test Subject
#417 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 11:29 AM
I'm having problems with playing Sims 2 on Windows 8 as well. I first had the problems with installing expansions packs as well, but that problem is gone now. The first time I installed Sims 2 I tried using replacing the new files with the older files (so I had to install Sims 2 on another computer which didn't have Windows 8 on it). The base game ran without problems. But after installing every expansion pack and trying to play with my old families with custom content, the game crashed. I removed every Sims game again and tried to install the other way it is described here. Unfortunately my game still crashes. It might have to do something with my custom content, because I could play an old family without problems without the custom content. However, I'm spoiled and I can't play the game without custom content any more! I think it's very weird how some people are able to play Sims 2 on Windows 8 without problems and some aren't. But I hope someone will find something to make the game from crashing all the time. It's so annoying.
Field Researcher
#418 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 2:46 PM
I've been fixing graphics cards problems with changes in the Graphics Rules and Video Card sgr files in the thread at Leefish : Recognising Newer Graphics Cards for Sims 2

While I have no experience with Windows 8. My guess is that we can fix resolution problems, and some basic graphics problems in the same way. (One of these days I will write up a tutorial on how to diagnose and resolve graphics issues in Sims2).

That is - Graphics cards that aren't recognised, can be made to be recognised, and recognised as high-performing graphics cards. Also when the O/S hides information from the game, we can restore it- like the update KB2670838 which caused problems in Windows 7.

Your config-log.txt contains all the specs you need to determine whether your computer can play the Sims2 or not.

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Test Subject
#419 Old 19th Jul 2013 at 7:28 PM
I have just got a new windows 8 laptop. I was so excited to finally be able to play the Sims 2 with a great graphics card again, but I have run into the problem of expansion pack installations crashing when the base game tries to update.

I have tried all the solutions I can find online. The one that seems most promising is copying the TS2UPD and TS2UPD0 files from a computer with a different OS. Problem is, my original Windows 7 installation has those files in all the expansion packs but not on the base game. I have tried copying them from an expansion pack into TSBin of the program files on Windows 8 but it isn't working.

I tried downloading the base game patch on the Windows 7 machine, but it still doesn't create TS2UPD in the base game TSBin folder.

I hope all that makes sense!

I tried to download the GrumpyLoader file from page 8 but I get an error page saying I am not logged in to MTS2 (though I am).

I didn't read every post of this thread but I did skim and I couldn't see any other solutions to try - at least, not ones within my capabilities - creating a partition or using Linux to install is a bit beyond me!

Have I missed anything that has worked for someone else?
Test Subject
#420 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 3:06 PM
I hate Windows 8.
So yesterday I went out and bought myself a new laptop with windows 8 as my windows xp laptop was terrible rubbish and slow. I thought... 'Hey the sims 2 should work FINE! its has a better graphics card and all that shizz'. I didn't think to check online about any issues. I'm angry, super angry. This has been going on a good nine or so months, yet EA or Windows have failed to give us a working solution, that works FOR EVERYONE. Not stupid compatibility modes and TSBin folders and etc.
Does ANYONE have a solution that works even 50% of the time? I'm fed up of 'dancing with the disc's' and I certainly do not want to down grade to the windows 7.
I haven't even tried sims 3 yet, as I prefer (like pretty much everyone else) the sims 2, but it looks like I'm going to HAVE to prefer it now.
Does sims 3 run okay with windows 8? Just before I even bother installing it...
Do you think this is EA's way of completely getting rid of the sims 2?

WELL DONE WINDOWS, you've annoyed thousands of people yet AGAIN.

(Sorry for the rant.)
Forum Resident
#421 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 3:09 PM
Well, for me it would be an easy choice. Back to windows 7 or two operating systems on one computer if I didn't want 'to loose' windows 8.
I don't see it as a downgrade if you go back to win 7. Do you want to play or not, I would think.

~ English is my second language. Bear that in mind if you read my stories. :)
Field Researcher
#422 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChloeLouiseWay
So yesterday I went out and bought myself a new laptop with windows 8 as my windows xp laptop was terrible rubbish and slow. I thought... 'Hey the sims 2 should work FINE! its has a better graphics card and all that shizz'. I didn't think to check online about any issues. I'm angry, super angry. This has been going on a good nine or so months, yet EA or Windows have failed to give us a working solution, that works FOR EVERYONE. Not stupid compatibility modes and TSBin folders and etc.
Does ANYONE have a solution that works even 50% of the time? I'm fed up of 'dancing with the disc's' and I certainly do not want to down grade to the windows 7.
I haven't even tried sims 3 yet, as I prefer (like pretty much everyone else) the sims 2, but it looks like I'm going to HAVE to prefer it now.
Does sims 3 run okay with windows 8? Just before I even bother installing it...
Do you think this is EA's way of completely getting rid of the sims 2?

WELL DONE WINDOWS, you've annoyed thousands of people yet AGAIN.

(Sorry for the rant.)

It isn't Microsoft's/Window's fault it's EA's. EA owns The Sims 2 not Microsoft, therefore it's EA's responsibility to fix the game to work with Windows 8, not Microsofts. It works fine for me, the only problem is that when I enter a neighbourhood the screen goes black so I have to alt-tab out and back in to get the neighbourhood to show.

Are you running Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro?
Test Subject
#423 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 5:31 PM
Well the only reason Ive updated to windows 8 is bc the graphics in my old laptop went bad so this forced me to get a new laptop, and now this STUPID IDIOTIC windows 8 cant play my sims 2 someone please make a patch ASAP! the only thing I know to do is downgrade to windows 7 on my new laptop
Field Researcher
#424 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spaunquia
Well the only reason Ive updated to windows 8 is bc the graphics in my old laptop went bad so this forced me to get a new laptop, and now this STUPID IDIOTIC windows 8 cant play my sims 2 someone please make a patch ASAP! the only thing I know to do is downgrade to windows 7 on my new laptop

It's EA's fault not Windows'.
Field Researcher
#425 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 9:40 PM Last edited by Port_A_Build : 22nd Jul 2013 at 9:47 PM.
To be fair, Windows 8 is a piece of garbage.

EA won't release a patch, they're currently trying to make everyone switch to The Sims 3. I think I have a solution, but it gets a bit technical.

The solution:

Rewrite another try
Page 17 of 22