Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#451 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
What I really don't get is why anybody would want to get Windows 8 at all, I thought of it, of course, and so I read as many reviews as I could; the general impression seems to be that it is a half-baked system, caught in limbo between Windows 7 and 9 (which, BTW, might turn out to be a really bad monster). Or as one reviewer put it (quoting from memory): it's something that Microsoft needs, not you.

Because if you do computer repair you have to. Otherwise when you go to work on a customer's computer you'll look like a DA.

Tim
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#452 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 5:40 PM
I have a bit of a problem: i have the Basegame installed on my desktop and it shows the splash screen for about a second and then just disappears (but still is running according to Task Manager!) I tried Grumpy Loader but the patch did nothing.
Lab Assistant
#453 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 7:19 PM
Default Thanks for the warning.
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
The Sims 2 will not even install on the new Windows version. There are similar issues with other games on PC.

I am posting this here so that people who still play The Sims 2 are aware of the issue, and I personally am not upgrading unless this is the result of a glitch with the OS that they intend to fix.

Edit: Just to give some other games reported to have problems:

-Bioshock 2
-Batman: Arkham City
-GTA4
-L.A. Noire
-Saints Row 3

As for SimCity 4... It actually supposedly runs fine.

Howsome ever people have to be wise enough to listen to your advice and smart enough to find this thread. I am in the latter category - didn't find your thread until it was well past midnight on the horizon. I purchased a new desk top expressly to play the Sims 2 better, never knowing there would be an impending problem with the OS! The graphics are gorgeous, speed is lightening quick, and that's where the good news ends!
I was successful all the way through Seasons. But this new copy of Bon Voyage at my desk will have to be set aside due to the launcher problems with Maxis shutting down the site. I know there's a work-around, I've read about it but cannot get to the information on the web. It also depends on what graphics you have in your computer. To paraphrase someone who did the same as I (bought a new computer to play the Sims) and posted on the micro-soft site, what was Micro-soft thinking? The Sims is one of the all-time games.
In anticipation of my Sims going on new vacations I got them all learned up so they wouldn't have to bother with learning their skills anymore. (Bool-Prop) Now they're all dressed up with no where to go.
And from Bon Voyage out -apartments, free time, etc., all are apparently off base.
I also have a problem using my mouse in game. I can't pick up objects, which for me who most enjoys building and/or 'renovating', there couldn't be a problem any worse. Apparently Micro-Soft designed Windows 8 for the touch screen, like everybody was going to go out and buy a touchscreen and to heck with those left behind. From what I've read, Windows 8 doesn't think kindly of mice. You know the expression, 'here I sit broken hearted ---'. Nice computer but can't do a thang with it. And don't ever think a non-Simmer will understand the grief! They are the same people who will say in a heartbeat, 'Oh your cat died? ..get over it.
But it is MTS who has given me the proverbial glass of water in the desert: All the awesome incredible downloads, with links to other sites with downloads that link to other downloads..I now have the most gorgeous furniture, building equipment, pictures, clothes, even a couple of 'he-men' that even sport Rolex's..Beautiful Victorian items and awesome contemporary furniture, more beds than I ever imagined I could have, plantings and drapery. And so often I think of the labor that went in to making every item and I wish that I could thank each and every person and make them all independently wealthy!
Mad Poster
#454 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sarah's jones
Howsome ever people have to be wise enough to listen to your advice and smart enough to find this thread. I am in the latter category - didn't find your thread until it was well past midnight on the horizon. I purchased a new desk top expressly to play the Sims 2 better, never knowing there would be an impending problem with the OS! The graphics are gorgeous, speed is lightening quick, and that's where the good news ends!
I was successful all the way through Seasons. But this new copy of Bon Voyage at my desk will have to be set aside due to the launcher problems with Maxis shutting down the site.

I don't know if this is what you'd need, but ....

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Voyage_Launcher

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#455 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 11:18 AM
...who the hell made a duplicate of that page instead of moving it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#457 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 3:09 PM
Ahh, that's interesting, the wrapper hides that. Good good .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#458 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 9:58 PM
I recently got a new laptop after the hard drive died on my old one, and it came with Windows 8 since I couldn't find any Windows 7 ones. I spent all of yesterday and today trying to get TS2 to work on it before I gave up and bought Windows 7 to install on it instead. First I couldn't get it to patch, then it crashed constantly even in compatibility mode, and it even made my whole desktop screen turn black when loading a neighbourhood! Needless to say my advice is to avoid Win8 at all costs, I could live with the really irritating user interference and stupid apps system, but not running TS2 is a dealbreaker for me. It's just irritating that I have to pay £90 to essentially downgrade my OS. :/

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Lab Assistant
#459 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 12:31 AM
Default Thank you it was very kind of you to look up that page
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I don't know if this is what you'd need, but ....

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Voyage_Launcher

I tried this and my confuser simply did not respond. (at that time I think I hadn't changed from Windows 8 to SP ---whatever.)
From what I'm gathering, into the mix goes your graphics cards and you have to choose between one and shut the other one off (??) and you have to know which one to turn off, or, whatever. And which Windows you need to change to, and so forth.
I haven't given up entirely on the prospect of BV, it's just that I am not computer savvy and that also goes into the mix!
You would think there's a complete change-around with detailed instructions somewhere on the net by now, but there isn't, probably due to the graphics card thingy.
Because I have Invidia, apparently that's part of the problem.

But I am so enjoying all my new Sims furniture, and building equipment.
I came here last week and downloaded some lots, and there are two awesome lots at Vitasims ( free, both Victorian) and I'm having a great time redoing them all with the latest furniture and all the beautiful stuffs.
Black Pearl (which I came to from MTS -thank you MTS!) has Helga's things and she has one living room set in particular that is to die for. I'd look up the name of the set but Windows 8 has partitioned off half of your computer, so I cannot get to my Sims on this screen. I think it's called 'Palace",
Lab Assistant
#460 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by a_az13_a
I recently got a new laptop after the hard drive died on my old one, and it came with Windows 8 since I couldn't find any Windows 7 ones. I spent all of yesterday and today trying to get TS2 to work on it before I gave up and bought Windows 7 to install on it instead. First I couldn't get it to patch, then it crashed constantly even in compatibility mode, and it even made my whole desktop screen turn black when loading a neighbourhood! Needless to say my advice is to avoid Win8 at all costs, I could live with the really irritating user interference and stupid apps system, but not running TS2 is a dealbreaker for me. It's just irritating that I have to pay £90 to essentially downgrade my OS. :/

Do I hear you! I wish I could do something to make it better for you and the rest of us who bought the lemons. Lol about the Apps, I told a friend of mine, when I was searching HOW to get to the most simplest thing like to get rid of a program (!) the screen said "THAT'S not an app" - I hate that they did all the whistles and left out all the important things. And the dual screens are a pain. Who thought that one up? I think they were appealing to the younger set who wants all pretty and dazzle and the rest of us can simply die off in their opinion.
The net is literally imploding with problems from gamers who bought 8 -again, some of it has to do with particular combinations of graphics cards. I cannot play any of the games I had, other than Sims 2 up to Seasons, and one I purchased brand new to play on my 'new computer'. Microsoft just isn't in to games, they didn't take gamers into consideration. (They have their own games they sell, you know, in the 'apps' category.
My advice to anyone who has to purchase a new computer and they're gamers, - buy a refurbished newer old computer that has never touched Windows 8-desk top preferably- that comes with some kind of warranty.
What did you finally do?
Top Secret Researcher
#461 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 9:49 PM
Windows 8 = New Coke.

ETA: I agree, I think Microsoft didn't take games into consideration. Which is very odd, because gamers are traditionally a big driver of computer technology.
Field Researcher
#462 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 1:43 AM
Going to have to pass on Windows 8 if I can't get The Sims/The Sims 2 to run without having to have an emulator or anything else. Looks like I'm sticking with 7.
Forum Resident
#463 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Euan
Going to have to pass on Windows 8 if I can't get The Sims/The Sims 2 to run without having to have an emulator or anything else. Looks like I'm sticking with 7.

I still have Windows XP on the computer I'm posting from! But my Sims computer runs Windows Vista.
Scholar
#464 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Euan

It works fine with Windows 8, I just needed the FFS patch to get the launcher thing to work

Happy New Year peeps
Test Subject
#465 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 7:59 PM
Agreed.... The only Issue I have with it is The launcher, which is easy to bypass with a shortcut to the .exe file.
Lab Assistant
#466 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 11:56 PM
This is giving me a headache! My Sims 2 Seasons game won't open it keeps saying to put the disc in the drive when it already is! I'm so frustrated. Patching, uninstalling/reinstalling, compatibility mode will not work! It won't open at all! Please help!
Test Subject
#467 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 1:39 AM
About to install TS2 on Windows 8! Wish me luck. *fingers crossed*
Test Subject
#468 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by F.Girl
About to install TS2 on Windows 8! Wish me luck. *fingers crossed*

Did it work? Im just about to try it myself
Test Subject
#469 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 12:45 PM
Actually TS2 does work on Windows 8...
Mad Poster
#470 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 7:47 PM
(I haven't read through this thread much so sorry if I'm repeating points)
I'm on Windows 8 right now and playing Sims 2. It works reasonably well but it has quite a few limitations:
  1. I can't install any EPs or SPs
  2. It crashes a LOT when I enter a community lot
  3. It crashes when babies are born unless I save just before
  4. Crashes at 'change outfit' 'change appearance' etc
  5. Bodies/faces disappear or texture completely glitches out
  6. When I recovered an old 'hood from my Windows 7 laptop, I played it and got almost constant error messages when Sims interacted (though not all sims, just the ones related to my Sim-self so I have no idea what's going on?)
  7. crashes when 'growing up' / dying
  8. Almost impossible to create a family without it crashing

However, I had a lot of these problems on my old Windows 7 laptop (but not my older Windows 7 computer). Right clicking the Sims 2 icon and going to Properties > Compatibility and changing the compatibility mode to 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3)' somewhat helped with the crashing, but it took me nearly a whole day to make 3 families for my newest 50s themed hood last week.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Test Subject
#471 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 8:20 PM
Just thought I would point it out that windows 8 is very awkward and I don't particularly want to upgrade but my current computer is way too old and I was thinking of getting a laptop, only all the good ones I find have windows 8. After doing some poking round I discovered that although it's hard there are ways to make sims 2 work in windows 8, all hope is not lost!
Here are two of the pages I found:
http://modthesims.info/t/500523
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2...S-8/td-p/227016
So we must not despair, technology is not going to move backwards, the next version of windows will not be able to run sims 2. At least with windows 8 people have found ways to make it work, how do we know that will happen in windows 9 or whatever is next? yes it's awkward, but not impossible.

"Reality is a lovely place - but I wouldn't want to live there" - Owl city

I would much rather be a sim
Test Subject
#472 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 12:03 AM
hey there, im hoping i can find some solutions with a disc error ive been getting... some people are having the same problem as me as well

i followed the tutorial posted here and before that i was only able to get the base game installed, now i was able to install all ts2 eps i have (university, nightlife and seasons)

the game launcher opens up normally and while it takes some time to read the disc, i get this error message: "Please ensure The Sims 2 Seasons disc is in the drive, select ok and restart the application" but the disc is inside is barely damaged

im no pc expert but is this a hardware problem with the driver that it cant be read? or is it a 64-bit system version not responding to a 32-bit program? i tried to googing to see if any of these would link up but very little luck at finding anything...

heres my specs too:
toshiba satellite c855d
windows 8 64-bit
amd e-300 apu with radeon(tm) hd graphics, 1300mhz, 2 core(s), 2 logical processor(s)
2048mb ram
directx 11

i posted on the other forum i linked to try and help promote a solution here... i really have some great ideas for an alien themed custom neighborhood that im just dying to make!!

thanks windows 8 for giving us all headaches >_<" good luck to everyone else trying to get win 8 and ts2 to work!! lets keep this thread alive!!
Test Subject
#473 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 9:15 PM
Default Can't get GrumpyLoader to download...
Quote: Originally posted by Raven Dragonfire
Sure!
I'm uploading it here, so other people can use it too.

You just have to run the GrumpyLoader and then load the patch exe file in it. Proceed with the patch installation as usual and then the GrumpyLoader will tell you that it encountered an error and will ask you if you want to ignore it. You click yes and go on. It will find another error, just ignore it again and the GrumpyLoader will shut down. Then try to run the patch exe file again and it will tell you that "the sims 2 university has been already updated" (for example).

After this procedure, I've checked every single file in the "Sims 2 University" folder, comparing the win8 ones with the xp ones I have on the virtual machine, and there's a 100% match.

I used this program just for uni and nightlife patches, since I don't have problems with the other ones, because they don't need any cd to run.
I've played for several hours and everything is fine, no bugs no crashes

In case you have troubles, just let me know!

First off, thanks for posting this! I have Windows 8.1, sadly, and for some reason won't allow me to download this properly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I try, it appears in my downloads folder, but when I try to open it, it says the file is corrupted. Any tips? Please? Thanks again!
Test Subject
#474 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 6:34 AM
Try force installation with my method. I always do this when installing on Windows 8.

1. Install your TS2 base game, follow the instruction until it finishes.
2. This is the part where you need Task Manager to be opened. Now, install your EPs, just follow its instructions. And when it want to patch but showing an error or whatever, then look out on your Task Manager, and see autorun.exe or ts2updater.exe.
3. Kill both task and usually it will do force patching into your game and will result in success.
4. Don't worry you will be able to play. Just a little while until you can play without any problems. Point your mouse to the bottom left corner and then right click and select "Run".
5. Type regedit
6. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\ there will be listed which ep you've installed, but click on The Sims 2 and see for EPInstalled this is the key where the game decide which EPs or SPs to be played, by default it is filled with filename like this Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe and so on but don't put any spaces and make sure to filled by the EP and SP order.
7. The last thing you should do is take a look on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\ and see for the sims 2 EPs or Sps you have installed, example thesims2ep5.exe and then click on it and you will see Installed, if this key is filled with 0 then it means your EP or SP flagged as not installed. Just fill it with 1 and then close regedit if you are done already.
8. Reboot your PC or Laptop and enjoy TS on your Windows 8.

No need to change compatibilty mode as i don't have any problems with it. And for those who have difficult in opening Sims2Pack Clean Installer, make sure to install .NET Framework 3 or enable it on Program Features but it does download for a while. Then you can enjoy every aspect for TS2 environments.

Hope it helps and resolve this trouble Win8 made, but it has a better performance and less RAM usage.
Test Subject
#475 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by retrozilla
Try force installation with my method. I always do this when installing on Windows 8.

1. Install your TS2 base game, follow the instruction until it finishes.
2. This is the part where you need Task Manager to be opened. Now, install your EPs, just follow its instructions. And when it want to patch but showing an error or whatever, then look out on your Task Manager, and see autorun.exe or ts2updater.exe.
3. Kill both task and usually it will do force patching into your game and will result in success.
4. Don't worry you will be able to play. Just a little while until you can play without any problems. Point your mouse to the bottom left corner and then right click and select "Run".
5. Type regedit
6. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\ there will be listed which ep you've installed, but click on The Sims 2 and see for EPInstalled this is the key where the game decide which EPs or SPs to be played, by default it is filled with filename like this Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe and so on but don't put any spaces and make sure to filled by the EP and SP order.
7. The last thing you should do is take a look on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\ and see for the sims 2 EPs or Sps you have installed, example thesims2ep5.exe and then click on it and you will see Installed, if this key is filled with 0 then it means your EP or SP flagged as not installed. Just fill it with 1 and then close regedit if you are done already.
8. Reboot your PC or Laptop and enjoy TS on your Windows 8.

No need to change compatibilty mode as i don't have any problems with it. And for those who have difficult in opening Sims2Pack Clean Installer, make sure to install .NET Framework 3 or enable it on Program Features but it does download for a while. Then you can enjoy every aspect for TS2 environments.

Hope it helps and resolve this trouble Win8 made, but it has a better performance and less RAM usage.

It installed fine (I didnt even have to terminate anything), but there is no ea games in the software section? I tried it anyway but of course it just crashed in CAS...
Page 19 of 22