Replies: 1248 (Who?), Viewed: 74428 times. | Locked by: justJones Reason: Contest completed
Page 11 of 50
Scholar
#251 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 9:14 PM
Yay! We got our scores!!
Thank you very much! It seems like a hell of a job ^^

And thank you for those comments - they really explain a lot.
To be honest I thought I would get a bad score because my concept was rather simple and pragmatical - real life inspired me to believe these buildings are usually like this, but I think I would rather live in a place with beautiful building such as the ones other contestants built.

I'm already excited about the next contract :D
Scholar
Original Poster
#253 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 9:38 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 23rd Mar 2016 at 3:32 AM.
TOWN CONTRACT #1 - A Residential Shack...I mean...."Home"

Splendid!

You're just in time for the meeting. This is my head urban developer͵ Val Briggs.
He'll be providing the details of what our wonderful town is looking for. I have
some paperwork to get done for the town hall. Briggs will take good care of
you all here. He'll explain the contracts we have exclusively for your
companies. Enjoy your stay with us!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you Milburn͵ & thank you all once again for coming to the call of this challenge. There are many areas of the town that can use your assistance.

Before we begin constructing buildings͵ I must let you know of one of our town's by-laws that will be relevant for this project. It is imperative that your keep these in mind while planning your residential designs. The town affords residents Minimal Living Standards that must be followed by all construction companies who build residential spaces in town. Any resident who lives in the town must have the following items at minimum:

1. An enclosed area for privacy (at least a 3-walled structure)
2. A rooftop enclosure (so the weather does not enter the home)
3. Adequate interior floors (so insects from the grass do not enter from below the home)
4. Plumbing for hygiene (at least 1 toilet & 1 sink͵ tub͵ or shower)
5. Lighting for pedestrians at night (at least 2 lamp posts per lot)
6. Access to emergency services at all times (at least 1 phone).

Now that we have that cleared up͵ let's continue on. In this first city contract͵ being issued exclusively to your companies͵ we're asking you to build a living space that can accommodate at least 1 person.

Click here for the image of the land that can be built upon. You may download the lot from HERE͵ or from the attachments area located at the end of this post. The theme has been approved by our town's urban developers. Provided in the lot are two lamp posts (§200 each)͵ along with the approved exterior wall motif sample that can be used for the structure. This land herein is provided as is (§2͵900). You may of course remove the foundation & stairs on that lot.

The lot will be constructed for use near the very poor class district of the town͵ hence the approved exterior wall motif. We also had to tear down the park that stood there before͵ hence the lack of green grass. We suggest that you do not improve the terrain of the land͵ due to tax implications for the residents nearby. If the area looks too..."well off"...well͵ you can guess what will happen to their property values. Of course͵ feel free to add some flowers͵ trees͵ & bushes.

REGULATIONS FOR THIS PARTICULAR LOT
The total property price for newcomers of the town cannot exceed §20͵000.
You may not remove the two lamp posts from the lot. However͵ you may move around the posts͵ so long as it remains in front of the main lot͵ & is within 2 tiles from the sidewalk (e.g. no more than 2 empty tiles between the sidewalk & lamp post).
You may not install additional exterior lamp posts near the sidewalk area. The city will bill residents of poor & very poor class inhabitants who use more than the necessary number of lamp posts provided by the city. However͵ you may affix exterior lighting on the walls of the house͵ if needed.
We're projecting a build time of no more than 10 days from today. The start & end dates are listed below. We are accepting only one design from each company. We're providing your company some money to begin this contract. We do not expect you to spend all that money. You'll need it for future budgeting purposes.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

START DATE / END DATE
January 21͵ 2016 4:00pm EST to January 31͵ 2016 4:00pm EST. There will be a 1 hour grace period from after the end time before penalties are administered. Please see this post for time zone reference & countdown timer.
MONEY GIVEN TO YOUR CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
§50͵000
HOW TO CALCULATE COST OF CONSTRUCTION
Your company's total coffer to use will be the "End Budget" seen in financial table in the TOWN APPLICATION Results͵ plus the money given to your company in this contract. The land & lamp posts are given to your company free of charge. The cost to your company will be the total property cost͵ subtracted from the cost of these free items͵ valued at §3͵300. The cost to your company will be accounted for as an expense item in the budget. This property is taxable by the end of the round͵ & so your company will incur taxes payable.
VALUE PER POINT SCORED FROM OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS
§1͵000 per point scored out of a possible 50 points. Each judge will score your project based on whether your company follows regulation about the lot͵ the city's minimum living standards͵ whether your lot looks interesting͵ & whether it follows the theme. The simple average of all judges' scores will determine how many simoleons your company will receive towards your company's budget in the next town contract.
BONUS AWARDS
If your company can use only base-game content͵ as determined by our board of directors͵ the city will award §2͵500 to your budget in round 2.
If your company can achieve a total property value below §16͵000͵ the city will also award §2͵500 to your company's coffers. Proof that the value of your property achieves below §16͵000 will require an additional image from the game's information about the lot in neighborhood view.
PENALTIES
If your company submits a property with lamp posts not approved by the city planners͵ or if your company removes or adds lamp posts for the property͵ you will be charged §2͵500. This will be compensation for the angry residential newcomers who'll be paying to install the approved style & number of lamp posts.
If your company does not use the approved exterior wall motif for the home for at least 2/3 of the exterior walls shown͵ your company will be charged §2͵500 for restructuring of the walls.
If your company fails to follow the minimal living standards set forth in the by-laws͵ you will be charged §10͵000. You may also be subject to the lack of approved lamp posts set above͵ & as a result may be penalized for that too.
LATE SUBMISSION
If your company is late in submitting your design͵ your company will be charged §2͵000 per day that passes to a maximum of §10͵000 for 5 late days. You may still submit your design choice for this city-contract. Your company may also continue to the next round if chosen to do so͵ with an additional penalty of §10͵000 if you did not submit a design from this city-contract.
DISQUALIFICATION
You cannot use hacks produced outside your game to artificially depreciate the costs of the items provided in the game. Only new items from the Maxis catalog are approved for use. Anyone caught cheating in this regard (or claiming that these items are "used" & therefore deserve their low cost value) may be disqualified from the contest.
Additionally͵ no Sims can be on the lot for risk of depreciating (or appreciating) the value of the property after 24 hours in-game.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip TMTC_2016_RND1_V02.zip (65.0 KB, 35 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#254 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 10:39 PM
Thank you all, I think I am getting the idea here. Hitting the juice bar before planning the next building
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#255 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 11:02 PM
Yah scores! Although I don't understand them at all! Horay. Umm... can someone explain what those numbers in my score actually mean?

So I have $15,200 for my next build? Just so long as I'm clear on that.

I thought it might have been too shack like and as soon as I saw HW's wonderful sand pile I thought rats I should have done one of those! I did do a little terrain shaping on the left but it's not very noticeable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#256 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 11:13 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 21st Jan 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Thanks for posting the new round so quickly, d_dgjdhh! I have a few questions before I get started though... of course.

Are the poor and very poor residents living in our rundown houses expected to be stereotypically poor and live in squalor inside of their homes? Or can they have nice things as long as they can afford them?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#258 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 11:40 PM
@d_dgjdhh Please can you provide a normal lot package file that can be installed in the usual manner for each round.

Also, it's not very clear how much money we have to build with, please explain in simple terms - remembering that most of us do not have a Maths degree!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Scholar
Original Poster
#259 Old 21st Jan 2016 at 11:54 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 22nd Jan 2016 at 7:34 AM.
Whoops, forgot to change the file to the new one. It's posted now.

As for how much you will all be able to use, please read the portions in the Town Contract #1 that says "Money Given To Your Construction Company" and "How To Calculate Cost Of Construction". There's no math degree needed to know how much you can use Sorry, I sound a little impatient with that phrase. So here's an example (and it will apply for all the future rounds):

End Budget (as stated in the Town Application results)
+ Contract Amount (in this contract § 50͵000)
= Amount that you could use from your company.

But...please read the entire contract to make sure you know how much you should or should not use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeywell
(...)Are the poor and very poor residents living in our rundown houses expected to be stereotypically poor and live in squalor inside of their homes? Or can they have nice things as long as they can afford them?

Stereo-typically poor in the outside, yes. Inside, they may have some nice things. Just imagine a tax collector driving around town, and seeing a house looking too good. They may stop thinking your house doesn't pay enough taxes because it looks so good on the outside. So...as long as the exterior of the home doesn't arise suspicions by the locale authorities, then sure. Nice things could work inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
(...)So I have $15,200 for my next build?(...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I think I have only $12,400 under my budget.(...)

In these cases you both quoted the simoleon amounts awarded by the directors, not the end budget. Each of you will have your end budgets plus the contract amount that you "could" use. The End Budget is stated in letter (N), not the simoleon amount scored from the judges.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, as for what the numbers mean, so far "CA Construction" is in the lead with the highest coffers amount at § 24͵030. If the contest ended now, that company would be declared the winner. The company in last place is "House Protect You" with § 18͵884. Something interesting to note is that both "CA Construction" and "Integrity Building Company" have the same average score from the Board Of Directors at 18.4, yet "CA Construction" is leading due to the how much money is left in their coffers.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#260 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:37 AM
So I have 15,200 +50,000 for my next build??

Can you just tell me exactly how much? No maths for me please, just toss a figure my way and I will build up to that. I am chronically sleep deprived here between these 6 weeks old puppies and this head cold. Right now your explanation may as well be in Swahili.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#261 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:38 AM
Quote:
Can you just tell me exactly how much? No maths for me please, just toss a figure my way and I will build up to that. I am chronically sleep deprived here between these 6 weeks old puppies and this head cold.

For you, § 20͵968 + § 50͵000 = § 70͵968.

(N) of Town Application Results + Contract Amount = Amount You "Could" Use.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#262 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:42 AM
So is the aim to use a lot less? Since to me a $70.000 is quite well off, not poverty at all. So what was that 15.200 about? Or maybe don't bother to explain I probably won't get it.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#263 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:59 AM
Whatever is in my budget (shall I work it out now or later?) - the next contract is a 20 000 starter? So I can, I assume, worry about the budget later in the contest
Scholar
Original Poster
#265 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 1:28 AM
Ok, I'll take your company's score to break it down. It can help others understand the financial statement as well.

Quote:
(...)So what was that 15.200 about?(...)

CONSTRUCTION BUDGET///////////////////
(A) Start Budget§ 0
(B) Loan Borrowed§ 0
(C) Contract Amount§ 0
(D) Expenses§ 0
(E) Taxes§ (697)
(F) = (A + B + C + D + E)§ (697)

When you built your property, it was from an empty lot. The total property cost after building it was § 13͵940. You were taxed (E) for the property, & charged § 697. Your company owed this tax.

PRESENTATION BUDGET///////////////////
(G) Value/Point§ 1͵000
(H) Judge's Score15.200
(I) = (G x H)§ 15͵200

The amount you score of 15.2 is the average score of all five directors (H). That score is multiplied by the value per point determined per round (G). You received § 15͵200 from the directors as an award for your company's efforts in making the property.

FINANCING BUDGET///////////////////
(J) Bonuses§ 6͵465
(K) Penalties§ 0
(L) Loan Repayment§ 0
(M) = (J + K + L)§ 6͵465

You also received a bonus (J) for the round, in this case § 6͵465.

CLOSING BUDGET///////////////////
(N) End Budget = (F + I + M)§ 20͵968
TOTAL SCORE15.200

The total of § 15͵200 received, and § 6͵465 received, and § 697 to pay will be the amount you have at the end of the application round § 20͵968.

This end budget (N) translates into the start budget (A) for the next contract alongside any more money given to your company for the contract (C). So for you,

(A) 20͵968 +
(C) § 50͵000 =
§ 70͵968 before accounting for taxes

The amount of § 70,968 is the total amount your company "could" use before you have to borrow money.

Quote:
So is the aim to use a lot less? Since to me a $70.000 is quite well off, not poverty at all.

§ 70,000 is quite a large amount. This is simply how much money your company has in its coffers that can be used. If you use more than that, you will have to borrow money. You don't have to worry about borrowing money right now because it is not expected that you would use that much money right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpetro
Whatever is in my budget (shall I work it out now or later?) - the next contract is a 20 000 starter? So I can, I assume, worry about the budget later in the contest
You don't have to worry about how much your budget is right now, because it is not expected to use so much money for Town Contract #1.

How about this, to try an make it simpler. Take a look at your "End Coffer R0" amount in the 3rd post (2nd reply), & add the amount of money given by Town Contract #1. That combination will be how much your company can use before borrowing money.
Scholar
Original Poster
#266 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 1:32 AM
Quote:
$18,884 + $50,000 = $68,884 will be my budget.

That is the amount of money you have in your company's coffers. You "can" spend that much money if your company wishes, while paying close attention to what the contract asks for.

Quote:
I still don't understand how the scoring system works. Are there any money objectives to consider?(...)
The winner of this competition is whoever has the largest amount of money left in their coffers when all contracts have been fulfilled. That's the goal of the competition. The scores by the directors help give your company money to build your company's coffers towards that goal.

Quote:
(...)Do I just have to build below my budget amount ($68,884) and other stated rules to avoid penalties and maximize benefits and bonuses?
It's a balance between thriftiness and presentation. You can build cheaply, but incur low scores and potential penalties for missing key pieces of information from the contracts. Or build lavishly and score high, but pay lots for construction.

To maximize bonuses and benefits, follow whatever the contract states, and make sure your property is presentable. Your end of coffers amount by the end of this competition will be who is declared the winner.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#267 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 1:43 AM
But what exactly are the judges looking for when they judge? All other contests here have told us. Last contest which I was a judge in we looked at overall build, routing/playability, overall look in how it was decorated, and did it meet all the requirements. We scored out of 5 for each area and it was clear when people looked at their score how well their build met the judges expectations. If you only scored 2 on deco you would know why since we pointed things out. Here I don't know what the judges are looking for, so I feel rather out to sea. I feel like I am guessing at what they want instead of knowing and aiming for it. Judges score was 15.2, okay but what on?

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#268 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 1:51 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 22nd Jan 2016 at 7:40 AM.
Quote:
But what exactly are the judges looking for when they judge? All other contests here have told us. Last contest which I was a judge in we looked at overall build, routing/playability, overall look in how it was decorated, and did it meet all the requirements. We scored out of 5 for each area and it was clear when people looked at their score how well their build met the judges expectations. If you only scored 2 on deco you would know why since we pointed things out. Here I don't know what the judges are looking for, so I feel rather out to sea. I feel like I am guessing at what they want instead of knowing and aiming for it. Judges score was 15.2, okay but what on?

You must be sleep deprived quite a bit, lol. Maybe you can sleep on this first.

The Town Application round's judging has been released here (http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...2&postcount=246). Click on the link in the first sentence of that post to see what they used to judge.

Everything about what the judges are looking for is in the Town Contracts. There's little to nothing outside of those to find out. The only thing not in the contracts is the picture posting rules, but that's listed in the first post. I make sure all relevant information is written in the contracts, which is why I'm somewhat confused as to why these rounds are unclear.

It is stated what the maximum number of points for the contract is. What I don't release right away is how the scoring is broken down because if I did that, all participants won't read the contracts and will focus only on the number of points awarded per item. Also, if you fulfill everything in the contract posted, you won't have to worry about how the scoring is broken down because you read all the information. Here's an example for the first town contract:

Quote:
§1͵000 per point scored out of a possible 50 points. Each judge will score your project based
on whether your company follows regulation about the lot͵ the city's minimum living standards͵ whether
your lot looks interesting͵ & whether it follows the theme. The simple average of all judges' scores will
determine how many simoleons your company will receive towards your company's budget in the next
town contract.

It tells you the following:
- §1͵000 per point scored.
- Scored out of 50 points.
- Does the company follow regulations?
- Does the company follow minimum living standards?
- Does the lot look interesting?
- Does it follow the theme set?

Now as for the contract rounds, the directors' subjective judgments will be about 40% of the scoring. The other 60% of the scoring will be how well you can follow the contract's requirements. Maybe I should add this portion to the contract post for clarification? Maybe this is where it's uncertain?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#269 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 2:14 AM
Lol, no, I did read that. 14? 12? 14 or 12 out of what? 20? From what criteria.

Also thank you judges for your time and opinions. I will admit that I spent longer on the sign out the front then the entire building.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#270 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 2:18 AM
Quote:
Lol, no, I did read that. 14? 12? 14 or 12 out of what? 20? From what criteria.

Also thank you judges for your time and opinions. I will admit that I spent longer on the sign out the front then the entire building.

You didn't click the link to the picture, did you?

Code:
Thank you all for your applications to the contest. This is the details of the scoring,
along with an image of what the judges used to determine your score. The
following post is a breakdown of your company's spending for the round.
Mad Poster
#271 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 2:19 AM
All you mansion builders, read the contract carefully. Who are we building these houses for? In the poorest part of town! Don't just think about your company's budget; think about their budget! How much can they afford to pay? It actually says in the contract!

d_dgjdhh, have I spotted something that others seem to be missing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, may I ask for a bit of clarification? I've has a quick telephone conversation with the Managing Director of Jones & Moltke, and we're unsure of the meaning of clauses 1 and 2 of the Minimum Living Standards. Do they really just mean that the house must have walls and a roof? Jones & Moltke aim to build to the highest standards, and would never dream of asking anyone to live in a wall-less or roof-less house! Or is something much more specific required?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#272 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 2:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_dgjdhh
You didn't click the link to the picture, did you?

Code:
Thank you all for your applications to the contest. This is the details of the scoring,
along with an image of what the judges used to determine your score. The
following post is a breakdown of your company's spending for the round.

I know I am being stupid and annoying, but link on what picture? No that's the first time I have seen that page, thanks. What are the suggested 'wall motifs'?

This makes more sense. We are really trying to outdo each other rather than some set standard. This contest is so different to the other 4 or so that I've been in it's thrown me for a bit of a loop.

Edit: Oh it's in the fine print. Never read that I just went straight to my score hider.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#273 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 2:51 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 22nd Jan 2016 at 3:26 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
(...)Now, may I ask for a bit of clarification? I've has a quick telephone conversation with the Managing Director of Jones & Moltke, and we're unsure of the meaning of clauses 1 and 2 of the Minimum Living Standards. Do they really just mean that the house must have walls and a roof? Jones & Moltke aim to build to the highest standards, and would never dream of asking anyone to live in a wall-less or roof-less house! Or is something much more specific required?
Yes, pretty much. This house must have walls and a roof that enclose the space.

I imagined that a builder would go so cheap in building to claim that lawn furniture on a deck is considered the house. When the property has no roof and only a wall standing with furniture all around that single wall tile, that's a no-no for the town. Those clauses are to restrict such a scenario from occurring.

EDIT: And another one...to say "the house must have walls" can be taken literally to mean that the house must have at least 2 wall tiles, & doesn't have to be closed up (thus a piece of property with nothing but 2 walls, lol). I imagine a company "stretching" the rules to fit its need without consideration to the people it's building for.
Scholar
#275 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 7:40 AM
I can empathise with the players in this contest, I do think the rules are written almost in legalese, but that's the theme of the game.

60% of your score is determined by how closely you adhere to the rules stated in the contract - you can incur bonuses by using basegame only content, but that may or may not be worthwhile depending on how well you can decorate with that. It's a purely mechanical (yes/no) sort of judging process, so you'll be fine as long as you stick to the rules - unless you need to violate them for whatever you're building, and think you can make up for that loss with a high score from us judges.

40% of the score is our opinion as judges - what I look for is creativity, effort and uniqueness. So, in the three flamingo construction company's case, you spent a lot of time on that sign, but it was that sign that impressed me and made me give you a higher score than you otherwise would have gotten - you used a simple collection of objects to make something new and creative, while using as few parts as possible. I've been building since TS1 and even I was impressed by the elegance of that design!

You need to balance this creativity and prettiness with the realities of a budget - the cheaper and prettier you can build, the better. Now, if you can make something very creative using just basgame content, that's a good way to get a bonus, but if you use basegame only content and the result is less impressive than your competition, you'll get that cash bonus, but you'll also end up getting a lower score from the judges, so you need to make that call - is it worth it to restrict yourself more with BG only content for that bonus (ie, are you creative enough to make a better lot with less stuff?) or would you rather forfeit that bonus and use more items for a better chance at a higher judge's score?

This game is interesting to me because it's all about limiting yourself as a builder and finding creative solutions to problems of scarcity. You'll all manage to do great if you just try to think outside the box while still remaining within the rules of each round. Don't worry about the money in the coffers just yet, it's still early enough in the contest that anyone can recover. But if you overspend on construction for something that doesn't get as high a score as the competing companies, you'll lose. Again, it's all about balance - spending as little as possible for as high a score as possible is the ultimate way to win.

Break a leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !

Page 11 of 50